Skip to content

Josh Gordon Leaving the Patriots to Focus on Mental Health

The Browns Board
108 39 2.8k 1
  • flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by
    #88

    He got  a DUI in NC. Last game of season he got pee tested and flunked after drinking a beer with a coach on a post game flight. DUI, part of that penalty is No Drinking. So say the judge. 

  • http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25580285/new-england-patriots-receiver-josh-gordon-says-stepping-away-focus-mental-health

    Normally I wouldn't make this a big deal, but I want every single one of you mf'ers who said trading Gordon was a mistake to step up and eat crow. I still don't wish evil on this kid, but it's obvious he didn't and never cared about being a football player. Top that with the fact we essentially matched his production with a rookie and where are you whiners at now? Yet another feather in the Cap for the Dorsey regime.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #89

    @jrb12711 said:

    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25580285/new-england-patriots-receiver-josh-gordon-says-stepping-away-focus-mental-health

    Normally I wouldn't make this a big deal, but I want every single one of you mf'ers who said trading Gordon was a mistake to step up and eat crow. I still don't wish evil on this kid, but it's obvious he didn't and never cared about being a football player. Top that with the fact we essentially matched his production with a rookie and where are you whiners at now? Yet another feather in the Cap for the Dorsey regime.

    Well said!!!  Muchos Gracias!!!!  That reminds me.  Julian Edelman made it a point to say "Hey Cleveland - Thank you!"

    Karma can get nastier than Mother Nature on the rag!  

  • @gunz41 said:

    Unless I am reading wrong, which is possible, then I will have to take up for one of Po's posts. I don't think he was suspended for alcohol, but I also don't think that is what anyone was saying.

    But, while certainly not what someone with an issue should do, I assume by the picture that this was AFTER his suspension, so besides his personal health, I dont see him doing anything wrong there, hes already done. I dont drink, but nothing wrong with anyone on here (over 21 or on probation) having a drink, just cant have too much. 

    I feel bad for Mr. Gordon, because it seems like he cant help it. He obviously started it, but since addiction is a chemical imbalance, I bet there are MANY people who are addicts who never had the 1st drink/drug to set it off. Just imagine that you and him could do the EXACT same thing, drink the same amount and use the same amount of drugs, you can stop, he cant. So those talking bad about the guy really shouldn't because you haven't walked in his shoes

    Again as I said the problem lies with the fact that Josh admitted himself and his interview with GQ Magazine that he would get drunk and high before every practice and game so drinking was a part of his problem. He is addicted to drinking like he is addicted to drugs so the fact that he is drinking afterwards shows that he is having a big lapse in judgment again after we assume failing a drug test. I really hope the guy gets his life in order and gets back on track everyone deserves that but he has to work for it I'm going back to the bottle or the ganja isn't what this young man needs.

    Gunz41G Gunz41 wrote on last edited by
    #90

    @bjh2130 said:

    Again as I said the problem lies with the fact that Josh admitted himself and his interview with GQ Magazine that he would get drunk and high before every practice and game so drinking was a part of his problem. He is addicted to drinking like he is addicted to drugs so the fact that he is drinking afterwards shows that he is having a big lapse in judgment again after we assume failing a drug test. I really hope the guy gets his life in order and gets back on track everyone deserves that but he has to work for it I'm going back to the bottle or the ganja isn't what this young man needs.

    And you obviously missed the point or didn't read it all. Nowhere in that did I say he was doing the right thing, wasnt doing something against NFL, or what was best for him.

    The point was, this picture seems to have been taken AFTER he was suspended. So all he was doing, legally I would assume (since he is now suspended, is 21 and not on probation) is having a drink. He doesn't have to worry about it causing him a suspension anymore.

    I just think it is wrong for people to judge others when they have no idea what they are and have gone through. Nothing wrong with you or I going and getting a drink. And before you say it, not every addict is the same. So knowing some before etc doesn't tell you the whole story for him. 

    I am sure everyone here would love to have the fame and money of the young man. And even that couldn't help him. That is something that needs to be felt bad for, not talked about like he had a choice or something 

  • @bjh2130 said:

    Again as I said the problem lies with the fact that Josh admitted himself and his interview with GQ Magazine that he would get drunk and high before every practice and game so drinking was a part of his problem. He is addicted to drinking like he is addicted to drugs so the fact that he is drinking afterwards shows that he is having a big lapse in judgment again after we assume failing a drug test. I really hope the guy gets his life in order and gets back on track everyone deserves that but he has to work for it I'm going back to the bottle or the ganja isn't what this young man needs.

    And you obviously missed the point or didn't read it all. Nowhere in that did I say he was doing the right thing, wasnt doing something against NFL, or what was best for him.

    The point was, this picture seems to have been taken AFTER he was suspended. So all he was doing, legally I would assume (since he is now suspended, is 21 and not on probation) is having a drink. He doesn't have to worry about it causing him a suspension anymore.

    I just think it is wrong for people to judge others when they have no idea what they are and have gone through. Nothing wrong with you or I going and getting a drink. And before you say it, not every addict is the same. So knowing some before etc doesn't tell you the whole story for him. 

    I am sure everyone here would love to have the fame and money of the young man. And even that couldn't help him. That is something that needs to be felt bad for, not talked about like he had a choice or something 

    bjh2130B bjh2130 wrote on last edited by
    #91

    @gunz41 said:

    And you obviously missed the point or didn't read it all. Nowhere in that did I say he was doing the right thing, wasnt doing something against NFL, or what was best for him.

    The point was, this picture seems to have been taken AFTER he was suspended. So all he was doing, legally I would assume (since he is now suspended, is 21 and not on probation) is having a drink. He doesn't have to worry about it causing him a suspension anymore.

    I just think it is wrong for people to judge others when they have no idea what they are and have gone through. Nothing wrong with you or I going and getting a drink. And before you say it, not every addict is the same. So knowing some before etc doesn't tell you the whole story for him. 

    I am sure everyone here would love to have the fame and money of the young man. And even that couldn't help him. That is something that needs to be felt bad for, not talked about like he had a choice or something 

    In his own words he admitted drinking was a problem so when you know you have a problem drinking having one drink is a lapse in judgment. I wasn't talking about him being suspended. His life as a nfl player is of little importance compared to his life as a person. You took up for po's post of well he is legal and only having a drink what's the big deal. I responded why it is a big deal when said person having a drink has admitted they have a problem with drinking.

    Also if you believe PO that he wasnt suspended for a failed test and just truly stepped away to focus on mental health then it's sad his first instinct is to do something that would have resulted in a failed test and suspension. You can draw from that he really missed drinking and the only reason he wasn't doing so is because it would result in a failed test.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #92

    Have we had enough of this yet?

  • @gunz41 said:

    And you obviously missed the point or didn't read it all. Nowhere in that did I say he was doing the right thing, wasnt doing something against NFL, or what was best for him.

    The point was, this picture seems to have been taken AFTER he was suspended. So all he was doing, legally I would assume (since he is now suspended, is 21 and not on probation) is having a drink. He doesn't have to worry about it causing him a suspension anymore.

    I just think it is wrong for people to judge others when they have no idea what they are and have gone through. Nothing wrong with you or I going and getting a drink. And before you say it, not every addict is the same. So knowing some before etc doesn't tell you the whole story for him. 

    I am sure everyone here would love to have the fame and money of the young man. And even that couldn't help him. That is something that needs to be felt bad for, not talked about like he had a choice or something 

    In his own words he admitted drinking was a problem so when you know you have a problem drinking having one drink is a lapse in judgment. I wasn't talking about him being suspended. His life as a nfl player is of little importance compared to his life as a person. You took up for po's post of well he is legal and only having a drink what's the big deal. I responded why it is a big deal when said person having a drink has admitted they have a problem with drinking.

    Also if you believe PO that he wasnt suspended for a failed test and just truly stepped away to focus on mental health then it's sad his first instinct is to do something that would have resulted in a failed test and suspension. You can draw from that he really missed drinking and the only reason he wasn't doing so is because it would result in a failed test.

    Gunz41G Gunz41 wrote on last edited by
    #93

    @bjh2130 said:

    In his own words he admitted drinking was a problem so when you know you have a problem drinking having one drink is a lapse in judgment. I wasn't talking about him being suspended. His life as a nfl player is of little importance compared to his life as a person. You took up for po's post of well he is legal and only having a drink what's the big deal. I responded why it is a big deal when said person having a drink has admitted they have a problem with drinking.

    Also if you believe PO that he wasnt suspended for a failed test and just truly stepped away to focus on mental health then it's sad his first instinct is to do something that would have resulted in a failed test and suspension. You can draw from that he really missed drinking and the only reason he wasn't doing so is because it would result in a failed test.

    Maybe you should reread what I said then. As I said in that post, its legal but not what he SHOULD be doing. I was taking up for Po as saying imagine it was something illegal in the NFL and some states as opposed to something legal.

    My point with it being legal is people judging him when it sounds like most on here do the same thing. He just cant help it, while most here can. And people think that since he is a celebrity or athlete that it gives them the right to judge his life, and it doesn't in my opinion. 

    Should we all be privy to everyone on here entire personal life or vices? In fact, how many people across the world would have their picture taken and posted online, not in a friendly manner, of having a drink?

  • @bjh2130 said:

    Again as I said the problem lies with the fact that Josh admitted himself and his interview with GQ Magazine that he would get drunk and high before every practice and game so drinking was a part of his problem. He is addicted to drinking like he is addicted to drugs so the fact that he is drinking afterwards shows that he is having a big lapse in judgment again after we assume failing a drug test. I really hope the guy gets his life in order and gets back on track everyone deserves that but he has to work for it I'm going back to the bottle or the ganja isn't what this young man needs.

    And you obviously missed the point or didn't read it all. Nowhere in that did I say he was doing the right thing, wasnt doing something against NFL, or what was best for him.

    The point was, this picture seems to have been taken AFTER he was suspended. So all he was doing, legally I would assume (since he is now suspended, is 21 and not on probation) is having a drink. He doesn't have to worry about it causing him a suspension anymore.

    I just think it is wrong for people to judge others when they have no idea what they are and have gone through. Nothing wrong with you or I going and getting a drink. And before you say it, not every addict is the same. So knowing some before etc doesn't tell you the whole story for him. 

    I am sure everyone here would love to have the fame and money of the young man. And even that couldn't help him. That is something that needs to be felt bad for, not talked about like he had a choice or something 

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #94

    @gunz41 said:

    And you obviously missed the point or didn't read it all. Nowhere in that did I say he was doing the right thing, wasn't doing something against NFL, or what was best for him.

    The point was, this picture seems to have been taken AFTER he was suspended. So all he was doing, legally I would assume (since he is now suspended, is 21 and not on probation) is having a drink. He doesn't have to worry about it causing him a suspension anymore.

    I just think it is wrong for people to judge others when they have no idea what they are and have gone through. Nothing wrong with you or I going and getting a drink. And before you say it, not every addict is the same. So knowing some before etc doesn't tell you the whole story for him. 

    I am sure everyone here would love to have the fame and money of the young man. And even that couldn't help him. That is something that needs to be felt bad for, not talked about like he had a choice or something 

    Um Gunz. OK, he's suspended. So should that be his attitude? I can't get anymore suspended- or tested, so screw it, I'm gonna get smashed before I go to rehab? I've seen a guy pounding them down right up to the minute he walked into the rehab facility. Or well, I f**ked up again, might as well have a few to dull the pain?

    He did have a choice- don't do drugs & booze. He made yet another in a long series of bad choices.  Sad? Yes, but he's probably gone for at least another season. And the NFL network guys have already said he isn't the same guy from his Pro Bowl season. 

  • @gunz41 said:

    And you obviously missed the point or didn't read it all. Nowhere in that did I say he was doing the right thing, wasn't doing something against NFL, or what was best for him.

    The point was, this picture seems to have been taken AFTER he was suspended. So all he was doing, legally I would assume (since he is now suspended, is 21 and not on probation) is having a drink. He doesn't have to worry about it causing him a suspension anymore.

    I just think it is wrong for people to judge others when they have no idea what they are and have gone through. Nothing wrong with you or I going and getting a drink. And before you say it, not every addict is the same. So knowing some before etc doesn't tell you the whole story for him. 

    I am sure everyone here would love to have the fame and money of the young man. And even that couldn't help him. That is something that needs to be felt bad for, not talked about like he had a choice or something 

    Um Gunz. OK, he's suspended. So should that be his attitude? I can't get anymore suspended- or tested, so screw it, I'm gonna get smashed before I go to rehab? I've seen a guy pounding them down right up to the minute he walked into the rehab facility. Or well, I f**ked up again, might as well have a few to dull the pain?

    He did have a choice- don't do drugs & booze. He made yet another in a long series of bad choices.  Sad? Yes, but he's probably gone for at least another season. And the NFL network guys have already said he isn't the same guy from his Pro Bowl season. 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #95

    @hoorta said:

    Um Gunz. OK, he's suspended. So should that be his attitude? I can't get anymore suspended- or tested, so screw it, I'm gonna get smashed before I go to rehab? I've seen a guy pounding them down right up to the minute he walked into the rehab facility. Or well, I f**ked up again, might as well have a few to dull the pain?

    He did have a choice- don't do drugs & booze. He made yet another in a long series of bad choices.  Sad? Yes, but he's probably gone for at least another season. And the NFL network guys have already said he isn't the same guy from his Pro Bowl season. 

    Not to dis-respect anyone's thoughts on this - but there really isn't anything that can be said that hasn't already been said in here multiple times since Gordon arrived. Again, I lost a brother that put drugs in front of all the talent he found more of a pressure/burden than the comfortable niche everyone else carved out for him.  I never understood why he never seemed happy after some great performances in baseball and football.  He said, "I'm tired of being THE ONE listening to we're all counting on you.  The fun in that is VERY overrated!"  He started hanging around with creeps in a world he didn't think he had to worry about letting anyone down. He thought the days of telling everyone what they wanted to hear from him were done when they were actually only beginning.  A kid that was always an honor's student never graduated high school.  A kid that was always one of the best players on his teams - walked out on a starting job at OG the same year he quit high school. He always seemed more interested in my football days than his.  

    Long story short, I'm soooo over hearing/reading about this drug addict on a destructive path.  His biggest talent today is the ability to look people in the face and lie. Practice has made perfect because I fell for it this last off season hook line and sinker. The trend dating back way further than Cleveland says this isn't going away any time soon unfortunately.   Even the NFL's version of Camelot in NE couldn't alter his path to further trouble ahead.   Right now, he's lucky it's only curtains on his football career.  Let's hope somewhere in all this he realizes the kid he created is WORTH the effort to fight his addiction. 

  • @nickers said:

    I just want to ask.. Being as Joe Haden is a big pot smoker.. How come he hasnt been busted...?

    He's not in the system.  He's not stage 1, 2, 3 or stage left even.     All he has to do is have a clean system for the routine drug test that all the players get.  When that is I don't know.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #96

    @orion said:

    He's not in the system.  He's not stage 1, 2, 3 or stage left even.     All he has to do is have a clean system for the routine drug test that all the players get.  When that is I don't know.

    Testing period has been in August during TC. Test clean and you're done for the year unless you are involved in an "incident".

    As for Haden's adderall situation... I believe PEDs are separate from the recreational drug program.

    @hoorta said:

    And it's a damn good educated guess Tour. In this case, past performance DOES indicate future results.  🙂  

    I was not talking about Gordon in my comment, h.... I was referring to your knowledge of the terms of the NFL's drug policy.

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    WOW! Pretty amazing how more hand wringing is done for some back stabbing junkie that gives two shits about Cleveland than celebrating coming out of the dark ages which were caused by the likes of Gordon.

    Some of us can multitask...

  • @orion said:

    He's not in the system.  He's not stage 1, 2, 3 or stage left even.     All he has to do is have a clean system for the routine drug test that all the players get.  When that is I don't know.

    Testing period has been in August during TC. Test clean and you're done for the year unless you are involved in an "incident".

    As for Haden's adderall situation... I believe PEDs are separate from the recreational drug program.

    @hoorta said:

    And it's a damn good educated guess Tour. In this case, past performance DOES indicate future results.  🙂  

    I was not talking about Gordon in my comment, h.... I was referring to your knowledge of the terms of the NFL's drug policy.

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    WOW! Pretty amazing how more hand wringing is done for some back stabbing junkie that gives two shits about Cleveland than celebrating coming out of the dark ages which were caused by the likes of Gordon.

    Some of us can multitask...

    flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by
    #97

    @tour2ma said:

    Testing period has been in August during TC. Test clean and you're done for the year unless you are involved in an "incident".

    As for Haden's adderall situation... I believe PEDs are separate from the recreational drug program.

    I was not talking about Gordon in my comment, h.... I was referring to your knowledge of the terms of the NFL's drug policy.

    Some of us can multitask...

    I’ve been in Texas. That just means drink and drive

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #98

    Ian Rappaport reporting that Gordon got popped for weed and cocaine? 

    Well, it was nice vaguely knowing you Josh, if true. 

  • @gunz41 said:

    And you obviously missed the point or didn't read it all. Nowhere in that did I say he was doing the right thing, wasn't doing something against NFL, or what was best for him.

    The point was, this picture seems to have been taken AFTER he was suspended. So all he was doing, legally I would assume (since he is now suspended, is 21 and not on probation) is having a drink. He doesn't have to worry about it causing him a suspension anymore.

    I just think it is wrong for people to judge others when they have no idea what they are and have gone through. Nothing wrong with you or I going and getting a drink. And before you say it, not every addict is the same. So knowing some before etc doesn't tell you the whole story for him. 

    I am sure everyone here would love to have the fame and money of the young man. And even that couldn't help him. That is something that needs to be felt bad for, not talked about like he had a choice or something 

    Um Gunz. OK, he's suspended. So should that be his attitude? I can't get anymore suspended- or tested, so screw it, I'm gonna get smashed before I go to rehab? I've seen a guy pounding them down right up to the minute he walked into the rehab facility. Or well, I f**ked up again, might as well have a few to dull the pain?

    He did have a choice- don't do drugs & booze. He made yet another in a long series of bad choices.  Sad? Yes, but he's probably gone for at least another season. And the NFL network guys have already said he isn't the same guy from his Pro Bowl season. 

    Gunz41G Gunz41 wrote on last edited by
    #99

    @hoorta said:

    Um Gunz. OK, he's suspended. So should that be his attitude? I can't get anymore suspended- or tested, so screw it, I'm gonna get smashed before I go to rehab? I've seen a guy pounding them down right up to the minute he walked into the rehab facility. Or well, I f**ked up again, might as well have a few to dull the pain?

    He did have a choice- don't do drugs & booze. He made yet another in a long series of bad choices.  Sad? Yes, but he's probably gone for at least another season. And the NFL network guys have already said he isn't the same guy from his Pro Bowl season. 

    You too are missing my point, so maybe it's me who is not saying it well.

    I am in no way condoning his actions. Like I said I dont drink or do drugs. Have had many friends and family who had a problem, and while I can drink and not have a problem, they couldn't.

    My point is not well I'm already suspended so might as well go ahead and do more, my point with the picture is that at that time he was already suspended, probably for drugs, so at that point he isn't doing anything that is illegal, so its really just making him look worse.

    And sure, you can say in a vacuum he had a choice, but I don't look at it that way. His addiction made the choice for him. Which to me only goes to show that addiction doesnt discriminate, it can affect the most talented wealthy just as the guy who lives on the street. Either way, I dont think that just because he plays a sport or is a celebrity that it gives me or anyone else the right to judge him or know everything about him. 

    Merry Christmas, God Bless, and remember the reason for the season 

  • In 5 years a guy like Gordon won't be tested, won't be suspended or anything.....unless he gets into some legal trouble....and unless there is some clear affect that the smoking of weed/drinking/wtfever  actually affects the on field performance.

    GhoolieG Ghoolie wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    In 5 years a guy like Gordon won't be tested, won't be suspended or anything.....unless he gets into some legal trouble....and unless there is some clear affect that the smoking of weed/drinking/wtfever  actually affects the on field performance.

    I agree. We are a gradually increasing permissive society. However....this bullshit of punishing people for what they do on social.media or on their personal time is despicable. People who report others are the problem THOSE are the fuckers the wold would be better off without.

  • Have we had enough of this yet?

    DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    Have we had enough of this yet?

    We should merge it with the Woody loves Peppers thread......

  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by

    -------------------------------------------------------The star wideout landed back on the commissioner’s exempt list Thursday, reportedly for multiple violations of the league’s substance abuse policy — and not just marijuana. But before slipping up, Gordon first had to elude sophisticated security assigned to him by the Patriots, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Sunday, citing sources.

    “The New England Patriots had an elaborate security plan in place to try to prevent the exact slipup that cost wide receiver Josh Gordon this season and quite possibly his NFL career, sources tell ESPN,” Schefter wrote. “The Patriots assigned people to be with Gordon at all times so that he could avoid the temptations that landed him on the suspended list last week, according to sources.

    “Sources believe that Gordon somehow eluded New England’s security team during the team’s Nov. 18 bye weekend.”----------------------------------------------------------

    He's a piece-a-work ain't he.......

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by

    He's an ignoramus...As much as I love Marijuana.. Even I could lay off it a few months if I had to... What a DOPE!.. No Pun!

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    687474703a2f2f6d656d657368617070656e2e63

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    3382454-3927218730-2560d.jpg

  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by Orion

    @the-gipper said:

    3382454-3927218730-2560d.jpg

    C'mon.  This actually is Good PR (in a strange way) for the Browns.

    It shows that we were NOT the dumb-a$$ Browns, that gave a good player away for peanuts.  -  Some had portrayed us that way.

    Heck, he 'eluded' his watchers on the bye week.  I'm half-waiting for someone to post a picture of him wearing a blond wig and calling himself Bobby. 🙂 

  • @the-gipper said:

    3382454-3927218730-2560d.jpg

    C'mon.  This actually is Good PR (in a strange way) for the Browns.

    It shows that we were NOT the dumb-a$$ Browns, that gave a good player away for peanuts.  -  Some had portrayed us that way.

    Heck, he 'eluded' his watchers on the bye week.  I'm half-waiting for someone to post a picture of him wearing a blond wig and calling himself Bobby. 🙂 

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    @orion said:

    C'mon.  This actually is Good PR (in a strange way) for the Browns.

    It shows that we were NOT the dumb-a$$ Browns, that gave a good player away for peanuts.  -  Some had portrayed us that way.

    Heck, he 'eluded' his watchers on the bye week.  I'm half-waiting for someone to post a picture of him wearing a blond wig and calling himself Bobby. 🙂 

    Bobby Gordon hooking up with Billy Manziel in Vegas?