Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Quarterback Talk

Quarterback Talk

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
15 Posts 8 Posters 395 Views 1 Watching
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
    • 57k Posts
    • 4k Reputation
    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #1

    I guess I cannot get out of the habit...of talking about QBs that may be available either in the draft or as free agents.  The Browns have gone 2 decades now where it was necessary for us to have these kinds of discussions, that I apparently just cannot let it go.

    So...with this caveat:  The Browns do not need a starting QB, I will look at the teams that do perhaps need one and might draft of sign a FA

    A. Chargers.... young QB to ultimately replace 37 year old Phillip Rivers

    B. Broncos?....or will  Case Keenum be their QB of the future....why do I think not?

    C. Saints.....young QB to replace 40 year old Drew Brees?

    D. Jaguars.....definitely need a new QB

    E. Dolphins.....should they be looking for a replacement for the very mediocre  Tannehill?

    F. Redskins...I don't know the status of Alex Smith...who will be 35

    G. Giants....likely to want to replace 38 year old Eli Manning

    H. Patriots.....replacement for  42 year old Tom Brady

    I. Cincinnati?  I don't know if either Dalton or Drexel is their future

    J. Pittsburgh....Ultimate replacement for 37 year old BR?  Or are Dobbins and Rudolph the goods there?

    So, that is 10 potential teams wanting to look for a possible current...or future QB.

    But I don't see a lot out there, do you?

    1. Free agents.   Who may be out there:    To me the top dog in this category has to be Nick Foles.   I would think that a team talented on defense would want to take a stab at him:  i.e. mainly:  the Jaguars.   Foles is proving, clearly, that he can come in and win games as a backup (one of the best ever at that it seems).  But would he have the goods to be a team's permanent starter rather than a relief pitcher par excellence.  Teddy Twatwater.  To me, he is completely unproven and of question able value. But some people seem to think he may be some team's savior (mostly black TV commentators)...again...unproven.   Tyrod Taylor....I honestly do not see him as more than what he is here:  a fairly steady, reliable backup QB.  Of course, I am sure that Josh McCown would be available (Browns maybe even? if TT leaves?)

    2. Draft.      A big piece of this pie has been taken off the shelf:   Justin Herbert, QB Oregon, has announced he will return to college.   (though I suppose he could change his mind)    This just might spur  Duane Haskins, OSU  to jump to the pros.   I think he would be in very high demand at the top of the draft. Top 5 even with a trade up by say, the Giants, who seem the most natural team in the draft order to take him.  I thought he would be 50/50 to come out....because he loves playin for Ohio State, but Herbert's withdrawal may change his mind.   Beyond Herbert and Haskins, here are other names that may be bandied about...though where they may fall, I don't know:

    • Brett Rypien. College: Boise State. Year: Senior. ...
    • Shea Patterson. College: Michigan. Year: Junior. ...
    • Daniel Jones. College: Duke. Year: R-Junior. ...
    • Jake Browning. College: Washington. Year: Senior. ...
    • Jarrett Stidham. College: Auburn. ...
    • Clayton Thorson. College: Northwestern. ...
    • Will Grier. College: West Virginia. ...
    • Ryan Finley. College: N.C. State.
    jiggins7919J GhoolieG 2 Replies Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • nickers nickersN Conversation Starter Dedicated Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done Very Popular
      • 14k Posts
      • 5k Reputation
      nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
      #2

      Don't forget Kyler Murray too...

      Nickers...."There are no old running QB's in the NFL "~Sam Rutigliano~
      The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • nickersN nickers

        Don't forget Kyler Murray too...

        The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
        • 57k Posts
        • 4k Reputation
        The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
        #3

        @nickers said:

        Don't forget Kyler Murray too...

        I am sure there are a number of others....though isn't Murray signed to play baseball?   What abut Hurtz?  (Tua....not eligible, I do not believe)

        McSorley

        Did we say Drew Lock?  Walterfootball has him #1 prospect..over Haskins.    And  Pat Shurmur's son who plays for Vanderbilt.

        nickersN 1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • The GipperT The Gipper

          @nickers said:

          Don't forget Kyler Murray too...

          I am sure there are a number of others....though isn't Murray signed to play baseball?   What abut Hurtz?  (Tua....not eligible, I do not believe)

          McSorley

          Did we say Drew Lock?  Walterfootball has him #1 prospect..over Haskins.    And  Pat Shurmur's son who plays for Vanderbilt.

          nickers nickersN Conversation Starter Dedicated Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done Very Popular
          • 14k Posts
          • 5k Reputation
          nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
          #4

          @the-gipper said:

          I am sure there are a number of others....though isn't Murray signed to play baseball?   What abut Hurtz?  (Tua....not eligible, I do not believe)

          McSorley

          Did we say Drew Lock?  Walterfootball has him #1 prospect..over Haskins.    And  Pat Shurmur's son who plays for Vanderbilt.

          I was not sure on that myself..

          Nickers...."There are no old running QB's in the NFL "~Sam Rutigliano~
          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • Bigalow80 B
            • 306 Posts
            • 127 Reputation
            B Bigalow80 wrote on last edited by
            #5

            Hurtz will eventually be asked to play another position. He just doesn't have the arm talent.

            Lock will be coming out but there is zero chance he is the #1 qb prospect on the board. He has all the measurables but his accuracy and decision making are not good.

            This is a very down year for qb's both in FA and in the draft. 2020 is absolutely stacked. I think there is a 0.000000001% chance Haskins stays in school now that Herbert left. He is the #1 qb on the board for most teams and unless he gets hurt or does something stupid, he will be a top 15 pick in the draft. I personally don't think he or any qb in this draft will be a top 10 pick, but when it comes to qb's and the draft you never know. 

            If I was a GM of any team needing a qb desperately, ie the Jaguars, Redskins, Giants I think this is the time to give the Raiders a call. If I'm the jags, i offer 2019 1st (this is going to be top 10), 2nd and 5th round, 2020 1st, 3rd round and 2021 2nd rounder for carr. That team needs a qb desperately. The giants should make the same offer. I'm not sure Carr is that good of a qb but he is better than anything else in this draft right now. Haskins has potential but with those teams, I'm not sure you have time to wait. 

            I'm hoping the book is out on TT and no one signs him to try and be a starting qb. I would love for the browns to bring him back for around $5 mil per year and then take a chance on a qb later in the draft (stidham?). I think the qb room is in a good place and if TT tests the waters and realizes there just are not any opportunities for him to start, then it would be awesome if he came back. Just because, if he is still there in the 5th round or later, the browns should draft Murray. Why? To hold his draft rights for at least a year. They have 10 picks. Sometimes you throw a dart in the wind to see if it sticks.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
              • 57k Posts
              • 4k Reputation
              The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
              #6

              One other guy that may be available, especially to a team like the Jags who are looking for a veteran QB...besides Foles.....is Joe Flacco.   If Jackson is going to be taking over in Baltimore, I suspect that Fluko would not be happy as an understudy....and I don't think the Ratrapers would like to pay a backup QB the kind of money that Flacco is set to make next year.

              Also...the other veteran who MIGHT come available is Andy Dalton.....as, apparently, despite having a contract for next year, it is NOT guaranteed; and the Bengals could just let him go and suffer no cap hit...if they were inclined.

              So...in theory...the only QB to start the season next year in the AFCN who started this year is BR. 

              hoortaH 1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                • 57k Posts
                • 4k Reputation
                The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                #7

                 think there is a 0.000000001% chance Haskins stays in school now that Herbert left. He is the #1 qb on the board for most teams and unless he gets hurt or does something stupid, he will be a top 15 pick in the draft. I personally don't think he or any qb in this draft will be a top 10 pick, but when it comes to qb's and the draft you never know. 

                I bet Stan a pitcher of margaritas that Mitch Trubisky would be a Top 10 draft pick....he said he would not.  I was never able to collect.  So  I need to make a bet with some sucker....errr, fine patron of these boards to recoup my pitcher of margaritas.

                I would bet a pitcher of margaritas that, if Haskins comes out, he will be a Top 10 draft pick....just like Trubisky was.  (And it would not surprise me if, like Trubisky, some team traded up to as high as #2 to get him....but that would not be part of the bet)

                1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • The GipperT The Gipper

                  I guess I cannot get out of the habit...of talking about QBs that may be available either in the draft or as free agents.  The Browns have gone 2 decades now where it was necessary for us to have these kinds of discussions, that I apparently just cannot let it go.

                  So...with this caveat:  The Browns do not need a starting QB, I will look at the teams that do perhaps need one and might draft of sign a FA

                  A. Chargers.... young QB to ultimately replace 37 year old Phillip Rivers

                  B. Broncos?....or will  Case Keenum be their QB of the future....why do I think not?

                  C. Saints.....young QB to replace 40 year old Drew Brees?

                  D. Jaguars.....definitely need a new QB

                  E. Dolphins.....should they be looking for a replacement for the very mediocre  Tannehill?

                  F. Redskins...I don't know the status of Alex Smith...who will be 35

                  G. Giants....likely to want to replace 38 year old Eli Manning

                  H. Patriots.....replacement for  42 year old Tom Brady

                  I. Cincinnati?  I don't know if either Dalton or Drexel is their future

                  J. Pittsburgh....Ultimate replacement for 37 year old BR?  Or are Dobbins and Rudolph the goods there?

                  So, that is 10 potential teams wanting to look for a possible current...or future QB.

                  But I don't see a lot out there, do you?

                  1. Free agents.   Who may be out there:    To me the top dog in this category has to be Nick Foles.   I would think that a team talented on defense would want to take a stab at him:  i.e. mainly:  the Jaguars.   Foles is proving, clearly, that he can come in and win games as a backup (one of the best ever at that it seems).  But would he have the goods to be a team's permanent starter rather than a relief pitcher par excellence.  Teddy Twatwater.  To me, he is completely unproven and of question able value. But some people seem to think he may be some team's savior (mostly black TV commentators)...again...unproven.   Tyrod Taylor....I honestly do not see him as more than what he is here:  a fairly steady, reliable backup QB.  Of course, I am sure that Josh McCown would be available (Browns maybe even? if TT leaves?)

                  2. Draft.      A big piece of this pie has been taken off the shelf:   Justin Herbert, QB Oregon, has announced he will return to college.   (though I suppose he could change his mind)    This just might spur  Duane Haskins, OSU  to jump to the pros.   I think he would be in very high demand at the top of the draft. Top 5 even with a trade up by say, the Giants, who seem the most natural team in the draft order to take him.  I thought he would be 50/50 to come out....because he loves playin for Ohio State, but Herbert's withdrawal may change his mind.   Beyond Herbert and Haskins, here are other names that may be bandied about...though where they may fall, I don't know:

                  • Brett Rypien. College: Boise State. Year: Senior. ...
                  • Shea Patterson. College: Michigan. Year: Junior. ...
                  • Daniel Jones. College: Duke. Year: R-Junior. ...
                  • Jake Browning. College: Washington. Year: Senior. ...
                  • Jarrett Stidham. College: Auburn. ...
                  • Clayton Thorson. College: Northwestern. ...
                  • Will Grier. College: West Virginia. ...
                  • Ryan Finley. College: N.C. State.
                  jiggins7919 jiggins7919J Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                  • 5k Posts
                  • 1k Reputation
                  jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  @the-gipper said:

                  I guess I cannot get out of the habit...of talking about QBs that may be available either in the draft or as free agents.  The Browns have gone 2 decades now where it was necessary for us to have these kinds of discussions, that I apparently just cannot let it go.

                  This is a great thread topic, and thank you for creating such a detailed and thoughtful post. From everything I read, it's an abysmal year for needing a QB. In fact, the one guy I'd want is Murray from Oklahoma, but like you guys said, he's committed to baseball, and I'm not sure he's allowed to enter the NFL draft. I haven't followed college football as closely this year, mainly because my Seminoles somehow deteriorated to the worst team in earth, but every time I watched Murray, my jaw dropped. 

                  I absolutely love the idea of somehow signing Josh McCown as our backup. Although aged, he's a freak of nature that maintains his physical health better than most players, and I'd LOVE him back with us. He's going to transition into coaching soon, but I'd certainly take him back to work with Baker. Josh is also one of the best human beings in the league, and he is well-liked by basically everyone. 

                  I'll be honest, it feels extremely strange (awesome) NOT to be fixated on our QB situation. Like, what do we even do NOW?! Lol! We continue to build and add pieces, and we literally don't even know what THAT process looks like, hehe. We can add depth and not pray for drafting a starter at every pick. I mean, as amazing as Dorsey did on this last draft, there are still questions about a VERY high pick in Austin Corbett, and also Chad Thomas, DE from 3rd round that I was NOT pleased with at all (when drafted). 

                  Nobody gets every pick right, but I'm guessing we're looking for a stud DT, LB (Collins will be cut or traded IMO), and you can never have enough CBs (especially with Denzel's unfortunate concussions. Ugh). Offensively, I think we're much better off. We have Corbett for depth at guard and/or center, and we also have Desmond Harrison as tackle backup. Our starting tackles aren't quite as strong as the interior guys, but I don't think there's the same pressure to replace them like there was just 2 months ago. Like I said, we can start building DEPTH and developing players without the immediate urgency of years past. Crazy right? 

                  Some will say we still need WR help, and they might be right, but like our tackles, I don't see it as being anywhere near as urgent with the arrival and subsequent play of Breshad Perriman. This is a former 1st round pick with uncommon speed and better than average size. It's funny to think that we somehow don't have giant, glaring needs on offense when you look back at our team just a season ago. Think about how terrible we were, especially in the red zone. Now, we have young and talented players across the board at our skill positions. Callaway scares me to death, only because I don't trust him. I'm having "Josh Gordon Syndrome", and I'm worried that Callaway will screw up during the off-season. 

                  If Callaway can keep it together and we can bring back Kitchens, he could make a very nice sophomore improvement. He already played well considering he didn't play football last year, and while he made some mistakes, the talent is obvious. How about Landry? His play and attitude were desperately needed by our team, and Perriman, Higgins, and Ratley round out a nice little crew. 

                  If I was a team in need of a QB, I'd be terrified this draft. I just don't see many guys that can step in right away and play. I'm so thankful for our team drafting Baker Mayfield, that I almost can't believe it. I mean, my wife just busted me again this morning watching Baker highlights, and she said, "Don't you ever get tired of watching these same videos?!" 

                  Nope. Not even close, baby. 

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • The GipperT The Gipper

                    I guess I cannot get out of the habit...of talking about QBs that may be available either in the draft or as free agents.  The Browns have gone 2 decades now where it was necessary for us to have these kinds of discussions, that I apparently just cannot let it go.

                    So...with this caveat:  The Browns do not need a starting QB, I will look at the teams that do perhaps need one and might draft of sign a FA

                    A. Chargers.... young QB to ultimately replace 37 year old Phillip Rivers

                    B. Broncos?....or will  Case Keenum be their QB of the future....why do I think not?

                    C. Saints.....young QB to replace 40 year old Drew Brees?

                    D. Jaguars.....definitely need a new QB

                    E. Dolphins.....should they be looking for a replacement for the very mediocre  Tannehill?

                    F. Redskins...I don't know the status of Alex Smith...who will be 35

                    G. Giants....likely to want to replace 38 year old Eli Manning

                    H. Patriots.....replacement for  42 year old Tom Brady

                    I. Cincinnati?  I don't know if either Dalton or Drexel is their future

                    J. Pittsburgh....Ultimate replacement for 37 year old BR?  Or are Dobbins and Rudolph the goods there?

                    So, that is 10 potential teams wanting to look for a possible current...or future QB.

                    But I don't see a lot out there, do you?

                    1. Free agents.   Who may be out there:    To me the top dog in this category has to be Nick Foles.   I would think that a team talented on defense would want to take a stab at him:  i.e. mainly:  the Jaguars.   Foles is proving, clearly, that he can come in and win games as a backup (one of the best ever at that it seems).  But would he have the goods to be a team's permanent starter rather than a relief pitcher par excellence.  Teddy Twatwater.  To me, he is completely unproven and of question able value. But some people seem to think he may be some team's savior (mostly black TV commentators)...again...unproven.   Tyrod Taylor....I honestly do not see him as more than what he is here:  a fairly steady, reliable backup QB.  Of course, I am sure that Josh McCown would be available (Browns maybe even? if TT leaves?)

                    2. Draft.      A big piece of this pie has been taken off the shelf:   Justin Herbert, QB Oregon, has announced he will return to college.   (though I suppose he could change his mind)    This just might spur  Duane Haskins, OSU  to jump to the pros.   I think he would be in very high demand at the top of the draft. Top 5 even with a trade up by say, the Giants, who seem the most natural team in the draft order to take him.  I thought he would be 50/50 to come out....because he loves playin for Ohio State, but Herbert's withdrawal may change his mind.   Beyond Herbert and Haskins, here are other names that may be bandied about...though where they may fall, I don't know:

                    • Brett Rypien. College: Boise State. Year: Senior. ...
                    • Shea Patterson. College: Michigan. Year: Junior. ...
                    • Daniel Jones. College: Duke. Year: R-Junior. ...
                    • Jake Browning. College: Washington. Year: Senior. ...
                    • Jarrett Stidham. College: Auburn. ...
                    • Clayton Thorson. College: Northwestern. ...
                    • Will Grier. College: West Virginia. ...
                    • Ryan Finley. College: N.C. State.
                    Ghoolie GhoolieG One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                    • 2k Posts
                    • 1k Reputation
                    GhoolieG Ghoolie wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    @the-gipper said:

                    I guess I cannot get out of the habit...of talking about QBs that may be available either in the draft or as free agents.  The Browns have gone 2 decades now where it was necessary for us to have these kinds of discussions, that I apparently just cannot let it go.

                    So...with this caveat:  The Browns do not need a starting QB, I will look at the teams that do perhaps need one and might draft of sign a FA

                    A. Chargers.... young QB to ultimately replace 37 year old Phillip Rivers

                    B. Broncos?....or will  Case Keenum be their QB of the future....why do I think not?

                    C. Saints.....young QB to replace 40 year old Drew Brees?

                    D. Jaguars.....definitely need a new QB

                    E. Dolphins.....should they be looking for a replacement for the very mediocre  Tannehill?

                    F. Redskins...I don't know the status of Alex Smith...who will be 35

                    G. Giants....likely to want to replace 38 year old Eli Manning

                    H. Patriots.....replacement for  42 year old Tom Brady

                    I. Cincinnati?  I don't know if either Dalton or Drexel is their future

                    J. Pittsburgh....Ultimate replacement for 37 year old BR?  Or are Dobbins and Rudolph the goods there?

                    So, that is 10 potential teams wanting to look for a possible current...or future QB.

                    But I don't see a lot out there, do you?

                    1. Free agents.   Who may be out there:    To me the top dog in this category has to be Nick Foles.   I would think that a team talented on defense would want to take a stab at him:  i.e. mainly:  the Jaguars.   Foles is proving, clearly, that he can come in and win games as a backup (one of the best ever at that it seems).  But would he have the goods to be a team's permanent starter rather than a relief pitcher par excellence.  Teddy Twatwater.  To me, he is completely unproven and of question able value. But some people seem to think he may be some team's savior (mostly black TV commentators)...again...unproven.   Tyrod Taylor....I honestly do not see him as more than what he is here:  a fairly steady, reliable backup QB.  Of course, I am sure that Josh McCown would be available (Browns maybe even? if TT leaves?)

                    2. Draft.      A big piece of this pie has been taken off the shelf:   Justin Herbert, QB Oregon, has announced he will return to college.   (though I suppose he could change his mind)    This just might spur  Duane Haskins, OSU  to jump to the pros.   I think he would be in very high demand at the top of the draft. Top 5 even with a trade up by say, the Giants, who seem the most natural team in the draft order to take him.  I thought he would be 50/50 to come out....because he loves playin for Ohio State, but Herbert's withdrawal may change his mind.   Beyond Herbert and Haskins, here are other names that may be bandied about...though where they may fall, I don't know:

                    • Brett Rypien. College: Boise State. Year: Senior. ...
                    • Shea Patterson. College: Michigan. Year: Junior. ...
                    • Daniel Jones. College: Duke. Year: R-Junior. ...
                    • Jake Browning. College: Washington. Year: Senior. ...
                    • Jarrett Stidham. College: Auburn. ...
                    • Clayton Thorson. College: Northwestern. ...
                    • Will Grier. College: West Virginia. ...
                    • Ryan Finley. College: N.C. State.

                    I have two comments.

                    1) I think the teams with the aged guys you mention are probably behind the curve and should have already been looking.

                    2) Does a guy like Flacco suddenly emerge as a possible #2 for the Browns in the event the guy gets released but still has some fuel in the tank?

                    The Cleveland Browns have the hardest hit players in the NFL
                    The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • MLD Woody MLD WoodyM Dedicated Conversation Starter Very Popular First Post Collaborator Posting Machine Reacting Well One Month Later One Year In Week One Done
                      • 33k Posts
                      • 3k Reputation
                      MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      Shea Patterson is returning next year, FYI.

                      Ja.brill Peppers - Cleveland Brown OldBrownsFan, on 02 Jun 2017 - 5:09PM said: "No you are not the work of the devil but you are deceived by the devil." Who's got it better than us? Nooooobody!
                      The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • LBC mike LBC mikeL Reacting Well Very Popular First Post Collaborator Posting Machine Dedicated One Month Later One Year In Week One Done
                        • 3k Posts
                        • 297 Reputation
                        LBC mikeL LBC mike wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        Flacco is owed like 15 mill next year.  If they cut him.  Dead money.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • The GipperT The Gipper

                          One other guy that may be available, especially to a team like the Jags who are looking for a veteran QB...besides Foles.....is Joe Flacco.   If Jackson is going to be taking over in Baltimore, I suspect that Fluko would not be happy as an understudy....and I don't think the Ratrapers would like to pay a backup QB the kind of money that Flacco is set to make next year.

                          Also...the other veteran who MIGHT come available is Andy Dalton.....as, apparently, despite having a contract for next year, it is NOT guaranteed; and the Bengals could just let him go and suffer no cap hit...if they were inclined.

                          So...in theory...the only QB to start the season next year in the AFCN who started this year is BR. 

                          hoorta hoortaH Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                          • 20k Posts
                          • 5k Reputation
                          hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          @the-gipper said:

                          One other guy that may be available, especially to a team like the Jags who are looking for a veteran QB...besides Foles.....is Joe Flacco.   If Jackson is going to be taking over in Baltimore, I suspect that Fluko would not be happy as an understudy....and I don't think the Ratrapers would like to pay a backup QB the kind of money that Flacco is set to make next year.

                          Also...the other veteran who MIGHT come available is Andy Dalton.....as, apparently, despite having a contract for next year, it is NOT guaranteed; and the Bengals could just let him go and suffer no cap hit...if they were inclined.

                          So...in theory...the only QB to start the season next year in the AFCN who started this year is BR. 

                          Ravens for sure moving on from Joe, Bengals will listen to trade offers for Dalton and be interested at the right price. Queen City Kitties will have to decide if 2018 was an injury riddled fluke year- or not. They get blown out by the Steelers Sunday, it may be enough to finally blow Marvin out the door along with them. 

                          Below  my short takes...   

                          @the-gipper said:

                          I guess I cannot get out of the habit...of talking about QBs that may be available either in the draft or as free agents.  The Browns have gone 2 decades now where it was necessary for us to have these kinds of discussions, that I apparently just cannot let it go.

                          So...with this caveat:  The Browns do not need a starting QB, I will look at the teams that do perhaps need one and might draft of sign a FA

                          A. Chargers.... young QB to ultimately replace 37 year old Phillip Rivers maybe

                          B. Broncos?....or will  Case Keenum be their QB of the future....why do I think not? Broncos less than thrilled with Keenum

                          C. Saints.....young QB to replace 40 year old Drew Brees? Nope, Teddy B. is waiting in the wings, maybe guy in low rounds

                          D. Jaguars.....definitely need a new QB but they're screwed with Bortles albatross contract ($21 mil cap hit, $16 mil dead money), as far as FAs & trades go. No one is going to want Bortles humongous contract. And as I posted a few weeks ago, on top of that the Jags are in the lowest reaches of Cap Hell.  (only team in worse shape next year is the Eagles)  

                          E. Dolphins.....should they be looking for a replacement for the very mediocre  Tannehill? 50\50 there 

                          F. Redskins...I don't know the status of Alex Smith...who will be 35 as I've said elsewhere Smith's injury may be career threatening, if Flacco ends up anywhere . I'll posit it's here

                          G. Giants....likely to want to replace 38 year old Eli Manning should have done that in 2018

                          H. Patriots.....replacement for  42 year old Tom Brady Tom is finally showing "diminishing skills". Top qb prospects will be long gone by the time they draft in the first. 

                          I. Cincinnati?  I don't know if either Dalton or Drexel is their future My crystal ball says Andy is back, shopping in the lower rounds. 

                          J. Pittsburgh....Ultimate replacement for 37 year old BR?  Or are Dobbins and Rudolph the goods there? They drafted Rudolph to be their QBOTF, they need serious help on the defensive side. Shazier may never come back, and Joe Haden isn't getting any younger. 

                          So, that is 10 potential teams wanting to look for a possible current...or future QB.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • GhoolieG Ghoolie

                            @the-gipper said:

                            I guess I cannot get out of the habit...of talking about QBs that may be available either in the draft or as free agents.  The Browns have gone 2 decades now where it was necessary for us to have these kinds of discussions, that I apparently just cannot let it go.

                            So...with this caveat:  The Browns do not need a starting QB, I will look at the teams that do perhaps need one and might draft of sign a FA

                            A. Chargers.... young QB to ultimately replace 37 year old Phillip Rivers

                            B. Broncos?....or will  Case Keenum be their QB of the future....why do I think not?

                            C. Saints.....young QB to replace 40 year old Drew Brees?

                            D. Jaguars.....definitely need a new QB

                            E. Dolphins.....should they be looking for a replacement for the very mediocre  Tannehill?

                            F. Redskins...I don't know the status of Alex Smith...who will be 35

                            G. Giants....likely to want to replace 38 year old Eli Manning

                            H. Patriots.....replacement for  42 year old Tom Brady

                            I. Cincinnati?  I don't know if either Dalton or Drexel is their future

                            J. Pittsburgh....Ultimate replacement for 37 year old BR?  Or are Dobbins and Rudolph the goods there?

                            So, that is 10 potential teams wanting to look for a possible current...or future QB.

                            But I don't see a lot out there, do you?

                            1. Free agents.   Who may be out there:    To me the top dog in this category has to be Nick Foles.   I would think that a team talented on defense would want to take a stab at him:  i.e. mainly:  the Jaguars.   Foles is proving, clearly, that he can come in and win games as a backup (one of the best ever at that it seems).  But would he have the goods to be a team's permanent starter rather than a relief pitcher par excellence.  Teddy Twatwater.  To me, he is completely unproven and of question able value. But some people seem to think he may be some team's savior (mostly black TV commentators)...again...unproven.   Tyrod Taylor....I honestly do not see him as more than what he is here:  a fairly steady, reliable backup QB.  Of course, I am sure that Josh McCown would be available (Browns maybe even? if TT leaves?)

                            2. Draft.      A big piece of this pie has been taken off the shelf:   Justin Herbert, QB Oregon, has announced he will return to college.   (though I suppose he could change his mind)    This just might spur  Duane Haskins, OSU  to jump to the pros.   I think he would be in very high demand at the top of the draft. Top 5 even with a trade up by say, the Giants, who seem the most natural team in the draft order to take him.  I thought he would be 50/50 to come out....because he loves playin for Ohio State, but Herbert's withdrawal may change his mind.   Beyond Herbert and Haskins, here are other names that may be bandied about...though where they may fall, I don't know:

                            • Brett Rypien. College: Boise State. Year: Senior. ...
                            • Shea Patterson. College: Michigan. Year: Junior. ...
                            • Daniel Jones. College: Duke. Year: R-Junior. ...
                            • Jake Browning. College: Washington. Year: Senior. ...
                            • Jarrett Stidham. College: Auburn. ...
                            • Clayton Thorson. College: Northwestern. ...
                            • Will Grier. College: West Virginia. ...
                            • Ryan Finley. College: N.C. State.

                            I have two comments.

                            1) I think the teams with the aged guys you mention are probably behind the curve and should have already been looking.

                            2) Does a guy like Flacco suddenly emerge as a possible #2 for the Browns in the event the guy gets released but still has some fuel in the tank?

                            The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                            • 57k Posts
                            • 4k Reputation
                            The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            @ghoolie said:

                            I have two comments.

                            1) I think the teams with the aged guys you mention are probably behind the curve and should have already been looking.

                            I don't know what all of them have done, but I know the Spermsuckers have got Dobbins and Rudolph as young guys...not sure what the others have done in that regard.

                            2) Does a guy like Flacco suddenly emerge as a possible #2 for the Browns in the event the guy gets released but still has some fuel in the tank?

                            I suspect that he thinks he has gas in the tank.  He is only 33....kind of prime for a QB. And having been a Super Bowl winner....at that age...he may not want to play second fiddle...at all.  Like I say, Jags, Dolphins may be a couple of places for a guy like him.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody

                              Shea Patterson is returning next year, FYI.

                              The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                              • 57k Posts
                              • 4k Reputation
                              The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              @mld-woody said:

                              Shea Patterson is returning next year, FYI.

                              Confirmed?

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                                • 57k Posts
                                • 4k Reputation
                                The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                                #15

                                Below  my short takes...   

                                  On 12/27/2018 at 1:05 PM, The Gipper said:

                                I guess I cannot get out of the habit...of talking about QBs that may be available either in the draft or as free agents.  The Browns have gone 2 decades now where it was necessary for us to have these kinds of discussions, that I apparently just cannot let it go.

                                So...with this caveat:  The Browns do not need a starting QB, I will look at the teams that do perhaps need one and might draft of sign a FA

                                A. Chargers.... young QB to ultimately replace 37 year old Phillip Rivers maybe.  Maybe what? I suspect a drafted QB for now?

                                B. Broncos?....or will  Case Keenum be their QB of the future....why do I think not? Broncos less than thrilled with Keenum So...what is their approach?

                                C. Saints.....young QB to replace 40 year old Drew Brees? Nope, Teddy B. is waiting in the wings, maybe guy in low rounds  Why do I think that the Twat is just not the ultimate answer there. (besides...I understand he is a FA...and can sign elsewhere if enticed.

                                D. Jaguars.....definitely need a new QB but they're screwed with Bortles albatross contract ($21 mil cap hit, $16 mil dead money), as far as FAs & trades go. No one is going to want Bortles humongous contract. And as I posted a few weeks ago, on top of that the Jags are in the lowest reaches of Cap Hell.  (only team in worse shape next year is the Eagles)  

                                So, what do they do? Stick with Bortles...or God forbid Cody Kessler?

                                E. Dolphins.....should they be looking for a replacement for the very mediocre  Tannehill? 50\50 there   I think they should move on...but then, again, what is contract situation?

                                F. Redskins...I don't know the status of Alex Smith...who will be 35 as I've said elsewhere Smith's injury may be career threatening, if Flacco ends up anywhere . I'll posit it's here  Had not thought about that.....he might not even have to move.

                                G. Giants....likely to want to replace 38 year old Eli Manning should have done that in 2018  Replace him with what? A veteran....or a rookie? (Haskins etc.?)

                                H. Patriots.....replacement for  42 year old Tom Brady Tom is finally showing "diminishing skills". Top qb prospects will be long gone by the time they draft in the first.   I won't cry Argentina for them.

                                I. Cincinnati?  I don't know if either Dalton or Drexel is their future My crystal ball says Andy is back, shopping in the lower rounds.  Status quo then...including Drexler at backup?

                                J. Pittsburgh....Ultimate replacement for 37 year old BR?  Or are Dobbins and Rudolph the goods there? They drafted Rudolph to be their QBOTF, they need serious help on the defensive side. Shazier may never come back, and Joe Haden isn't getting any younger.   So...at least for now, those 2 ARE the goods for the Squibs?  I suspect so.

                                So, that is 10 potential teams wanting to look for a possible current...or future QB.

                                 
                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply

                                Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                Register Login
                                Reply
                                • Reply as topic
                                Log in to reply
                                • Oldest to Newest
                                • Newest to Oldest
                                • Most Votes


                                Theme
                                • System
                                • Light
                                • Dark
                                The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                • First post
                                  Last post
                                0
                                • Forums
                                • Recent
                                • Popular
                                • Users
                                • Donate