Skip to content

Browns connections continue to amaze me. How about you?

The Browns Board
29 14 608 1
  • L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by LondonBrown
    #12

    Had a Browns hoodie on at JFK coming home from a game against the Cardinals when a guy from Cleveland stopped me to chat briefly. He spent most of the time just sighing and shaking his head at how bad we were at the time. This was Hoyer/Mansfield era

    Pleased to hear the pride has been put back into the jersey and fans are flocking back. 

  • Last night Cathy and I were in a local pub getting a burger. A guy sits next to us and me being the gregarious windbag I am, I get to talking to the guy. Turns out he moved here from Mentor, is a Browns fan from the Kosar era on, and is the new plant manager at a facility where I just sold the largest water system of my career. We talked about football, Cleveland, Youngstown, Steelers, polka music, bands, and even Stan's beloved Mentor Cardinals.

    On our Cuban cruise, I met 5 people from the Youngstown area, 4 of who were Browns fans.

    Rumor has it that Jerry Lawler may show up Sunday at the Browns Backers got together for the game. He is a huge Browns fan, you know?

    It is comforting to me that I can travel, and still, so very often find folks tied to the Browns and to Ohio. We really are blessed to have the Browns as a staple to our lives.

    Happy New Year, indeed.

    stillmotionS stillmotion wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @ghoolie said:

    Last night Cathy and I were in a local pub getting a burger. A guy sits next to us and me being the gregarious windbag I am, I get to talking to the guy. Turns out he moved here from Mentor, is a Browns fan from the Kosar era on, and is the new plant manager at a facility where I just sold the largest water system of my career. We talked about football, Cleveland, Youngstown, Steelers, polka music, bands, and even Stan's beloved Mentor Cardinals.

    On our Cuban cruise, I met 5 people from the Youngstown area, 4 of who were Browns fans.

    Rumor has it that Jerry Lawler may show up Sunday at the Browns Backers got together for the game. He is a huge Browns fan, you know?

    It is comforting to me that I can travel, and still, so very often find folks tied to the Browns and to Ohio. We really are blessed to have the Browns as a staple to our lives.

    Happy New Year, indeed.

    I'll be at the Browns Backers club in Vegas tomorrow, Ghoolie! I'm headed up there with some friends and i'm pretty stoked.

    I'll let you know how it goes. Let's kill the Ravens!

  • last time i was in vegas i met this guy who told me he was a ex long snapper for The Browns (forgot his name) i was skeptical at first but he had so much knowledge about the team i took his word for it anyway this was back in the modell day's and i was about to open my big mouth and saying something about art but before i could he told me how much art helped him out he had a sick child back in florida and art would fly him back and forth so he could be with his family

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @atom said:

    last time i was in vegas i met this guy who told me he was a ex long snapper for The Browns (forgot his name) i was skeptical at first but he had so much knowledge about the team i took his word for it anyway this was back in the modell day's and i was about to open my big mouth and saying something about art but before i could he told me how much art helped him out he had a sick child back in florida and art would fly him back and forth so he could be with his family

    Good story!  I'm not used to saying this about Modell but good thing you held off on ripping on him - so you could learn such a thing. 

    Way back when Ernie Davis was getting clobbered by Leukemia - Art was very protective of Davis from the media ancestors of the Grossi and Cabot types with insatiable appetites to sell the controversy first.

    I still HATE Modell; but there's some evidence he had a heart before he sold his soul...

  • Had a Browns hoodie on at JFK coming home from a game against the Cardinals when a guy from Cleveland stopped me to chat briefly. He spent most of the time just sighing and shaking his head at how bad we were at the time. This was Hoyer/Mansfield era

    Pleased to hear the pride has been put back into the jersey and fans are flocking back. 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @londonbrown said:

    Had a Browns hoodie on at JFK coming home from a game against the Cardinals when a guy from Cleveland stopped me to chat briefly. He spent most of the time just sighing and shaking his head at how bad we were at the time. This was Hoyer/Mansfield era

    Pleased to hear the pride has been put back into the jersey and fans are flocking back. 

    Yeah, it feels good to see people getting excited about this team again.  Normally, I'd question a loyalty that ever left.  That said I saw a quote that slapped a perfect perspective on it all.  "You have to understand I'm a reasonable person that has experienced unreasonable circumstances for DECADES before you question my confidence, faith and loyalty."   And then I thought to myself with a sigh - well, I was almost reasonable...

    We've had some die hards from England in here that have come to games and tailgates.  Just wondering, do you guys have a Browns Backers club in your area that meets up for games at a local sports bar or pub? 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Why didn't you stop and see me?  You could have bought me lunch? 😉 I was just down the hill from you.

    And I went to Al's right before! 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #16

    @dutch-oven said:

    And I went to Al's right before! 

    Not to rub it right in or anything...  Thatta boy!

  • flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by
    #17

    Joe Thomas has done a good bit of hunting over the years in the Shenango Wildlife area and was surprised to be having coffee with him fairly early one morning at the local eatery.  Way cool. Turns out that there has been a mountain lion reported in that area and JT was one that saw it. 

    You call him a liar. 

    Oh ya, it’s documented 

  • @londonbrown said:

    Had a Browns hoodie on at JFK coming home from a game against the Cardinals when a guy from Cleveland stopped me to chat briefly. He spent most of the time just sighing and shaking his head at how bad we were at the time. This was Hoyer/Mansfield era

    Pleased to hear the pride has been put back into the jersey and fans are flocking back. 

    Yeah, it feels good to see people getting excited about this team again.  Normally, I'd question a loyalty that ever left.  That said I saw a quote that slapped a perfect perspective on it all.  "You have to understand I'm a reasonable person that has experienced unreasonable circumstances for DECADES before you question my confidence, faith and loyalty."   And then I thought to myself with a sigh - well, I was almost reasonable...

    We've had some die hards from England in here that have come to games and tailgates.  Just wondering, do you guys have a Browns Backers club in your area that meets up for games at a local sports bar or pub? 

    L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @flugel said:

    Yeah, it feels good to see people getting excited about this team again.  Normally, I'd question a loyalty that ever left.  That said I saw a quote that slapped a perfect perspective on it all.  "You have to understand I'm a reasonable person that has experienced unreasonable circumstances for DECADES before you question my confidence, faith and loyalty."   And then I thought to myself with a sigh - well, I was almost reasonable...

    We've had some die hards from England in here that have come to games and tailgates.  Just wondering, do you guys have a Browns Backers club in your area that meets up for games at a local sports bar or pub? 

    Yeah the British Bulldawgs meet up every Sunday to watch the Browns in a London casino. I’ve only attended once myself. 

  • Joe Thomas has done a good bit of hunting over the years in the Shenango Wildlife area and was surprised to be having coffee with him fairly early one morning at the local eatery.  Way cool. Turns out that there has been a mountain lion reported in that area and JT was one that saw it. 

    You call him a liar. 

    Oh ya, it’s documented 

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    Joe Thomas has done a good bit of hunting over the years in the Shenango Wildlife area and was surprised to be having coffee with him fairly early one morning at the local eatery.  Way cool. Turns out that there has been a mountain lion reported in that area and JT was one that saw it. 

    You call him a liar. 

    Oh ya, it’s documented 

    More than a couple bears have been spotted in NE Ohio. One made it all the way to Brecksville. 

  • @flyingfooldoug said:

    Joe Thomas has done a good bit of hunting over the years in the Shenango Wildlife area and was surprised to be having coffee with him fairly early one morning at the local eatery.  Way cool. Turns out that there has been a mountain lion reported in that area and JT was one that saw it. 

    You call him a liar. 

    Oh ya, it’s documented 

    More than a couple bears have been spotted in NE Ohio. One made it all the way to Brecksville. 

    flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @hoorta said:

    More than a couple bears have been spotted in NE Ohio. One made it all the way to Brecksville. 

    Dude! That’s a normal spring and early summer occurrence here. Those reports are fun to see. My one neighbor came out to bear poop in his drive three years ago. Two years ago just up the street one was in his garage snooping around the grill. He got it on video too. Had to be at least 400 lbs too. But mountain lions are a way different and way scarier critter. And they’re not supposed to be here. At least until JT saw one. Bears are cool and a lot like a big raccoon. A lion will stalk and eat you though. They were once prevalent just east of here too. That’s why they’re named the Nittany Lions

  • L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by
    #21

    Bears are cool??

    I couldn't deal with seeing a bear walking around, I would pussy out and run a mile 

  • Bears are cool??

    I couldn't deal with seeing a bear walking around, I would pussy out and run a mile 

    NeroN Nero wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @londonbrown said:

    Bears are cool??

    I couldn't deal with seeing a bear walking around, I would pussy out and run a mile 

    Same here. Though I would run a kilometer.

  • @hoorta said:

    More than a couple bears have been spotted in NE Ohio. One made it all the way to Brecksville. 

    Dude! That’s a normal spring and early summer occurrence here. Those reports are fun to see. My one neighbor came out to bear poop in his drive three years ago. Two years ago just up the street one was in his garage snooping around the grill. He got it on video too. Had to be at least 400 lbs too. But mountain lions are a way different and way scarier critter. And they’re not supposed to be here. At least until JT saw one. Bears are cool and a lot like a big raccoon. A lion will stalk and eat you though. They were once prevalent just east of here too. That’s why they’re named the Nittany Lions

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    Dude! That’s a normal spring and early summer occurrence here. Those reports are fun to see. My one neighbor came out to bear poop in his drive three years ago. Two years ago just up the street one was in his garage snooping around the grill. He got it on video too. Had to be at least 400 lbs too. But mountain lions are a way different and way scarier critter. And they’re not supposed to be here. At least until JT saw one. Bears are cool and a lot like a big raccoon. A lion will stalk and eat you though. They were once prevalent just east of here too. That’s why they’re named the Nittany Lions

    And the anti- hunting crowd wants us to leave the deer alone. 🙂 What would they say if we reintroduced their natural predator timber wolves into the area?  Yeah, coyotes have made the migration East, and are pretty adaptable to urban areas. I've seen them on occasion a mile or less away from my house in Dayton. They probably could take down a faun. Used to tell my outdoor cat Ray to "watch out for the coyotes". House cats are a nice snack for those critters.  

    @londonbrown said:

    Bears are cool??

    I couldn't deal with seeing a bear walking around, I would pussy out and run a mile 

    LOL, you need some bear education. You never run from a bear- they can outrun a horse over short distances. Unless there's a climbable tree handy. Grizzlies can't climb trees, and black bears don't like to.  It is a scary situation meeting one in the wild- at least not with my trusty .300 H&H handy. We met up with Yogi in the Bridger Wilderness in Wyoming many years ago. He was about 20 feet away, and if he had come at me, he would have gotten the food sack I had in my hands. Didn't give up easily either, circled our camp for about 15 minutes- seemed like hours- before he figured out we weren't providing bear treats. That permanently cured my wife from backpacking. 

  • Bears are cool??

    I couldn't deal with seeing a bear walking around, I would pussy out and run a mile 

    flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @londonbrown said:

    Bears are cool??

    I couldn't deal with seeing a bear walking around, I would pussy out and run a mile 

    If it’s a black bear. They are only a worry if they have cubs with them, are sick or injured. Run at one, clap your hands, make yourself big and loud. They run. A grizzly? See ya!

  • @flyingfooldoug said:

    Dude! That’s a normal spring and early summer occurrence here. Those reports are fun to see. My one neighbor came out to bear poop in his drive three years ago. Two years ago just up the street one was in his garage snooping around the grill. He got it on video too. Had to be at least 400 lbs too. But mountain lions are a way different and way scarier critter. And they’re not supposed to be here. At least until JT saw one. Bears are cool and a lot like a big raccoon. A lion will stalk and eat you though. They were once prevalent just east of here too. That’s why they’re named the Nittany Lions

    And the anti- hunting crowd wants us to leave the deer alone. 🙂 What would they say if we reintroduced their natural predator timber wolves into the area?  Yeah, coyotes have made the migration East, and are pretty adaptable to urban areas. I've seen them on occasion a mile or less away from my house in Dayton. They probably could take down a faun. Used to tell my outdoor cat Ray to "watch out for the coyotes". House cats are a nice snack for those critters.  

    @londonbrown said:

    Bears are cool??

    I couldn't deal with seeing a bear walking around, I would pussy out and run a mile 

    LOL, you need some bear education. You never run from a bear- they can outrun a horse over short distances. Unless there's a climbable tree handy. Grizzlies can't climb trees, and black bears don't like to.  It is a scary situation meeting one in the wild- at least not with my trusty .300 H&H handy. We met up with Yogi in the Bridger Wilderness in Wyoming many years ago. He was about 20 feet away, and if he had come at me, he would have gotten the food sack I had in my hands. Didn't give up easily either, circled our camp for about 15 minutes- seemed like hours- before he figured out we weren't providing bear treats. That permanently cured my wife from backpacking. 

    flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @hoorta said:

    And the anti- hunting crowd wants us to leave the deer alone. 🙂 What would they say if we reintroduced their natural predator timber wolves into the area?  Yeah, coyotes have made the migration East, and are pretty adaptable to urban areas. I've seen them on occasion a mile or less away from my house in Dayton. They probably could take down a faun. Used to tell my outdoor cat Ray to "watch out for the coyotes". House cats are a nice snack for those critters.  

    LOL, you need some bear education. You never run from a bear- they can outrun a horse over short distances. Unless there's a climbable tree handy. Grizzlies can't climb trees, and black bears don't like to.  It is a scary situation meeting one in the wild- at least not with my trusty .300 H&H handy. We met up with Yogi in the Bridger Wilderness in Wyoming many years ago. He was about 20 feet away, and if he had come at me, he would have gotten the food sack I had in my hands. Didn't give up easily either, circled our camp for about 15 minutes- seemed like hours- before he figured out we weren't providing bear treats. That permanently cured my wife from backpacking. 

    Tons of coyotes around here. A true nuisance. Woman up the road watched her kitty get jumped and eaten by a big red tail. And the return of the American Bald Eagles here is just spectacular. To see one here now, just go outside and look around a few minutes. Ya, gotta watch for deer. Your so called tree hugging environmentalists should learn what happens to animals suffering overpopulation. Proper game management works. 

  • @flyingfooldoug said:

    Dude! That’s a normal spring and early summer occurrence here. Those reports are fun to see. My one neighbor came out to bear poop in his drive three years ago. Two years ago just up the street one was in his garage snooping around the grill. He got it on video too. Had to be at least 400 lbs too. But mountain lions are a way different and way scarier critter. And they’re not supposed to be here. At least until JT saw one. Bears are cool and a lot like a big raccoon. A lion will stalk and eat you though. They were once prevalent just east of here too. That’s why they’re named the Nittany Lions

    And the anti- hunting crowd wants us to leave the deer alone. 🙂 What would they say if we reintroduced their natural predator timber wolves into the area?  Yeah, coyotes have made the migration East, and are pretty adaptable to urban areas. I've seen them on occasion a mile or less away from my house in Dayton. They probably could take down a faun. Used to tell my outdoor cat Ray to "watch out for the coyotes". House cats are a nice snack for those critters.  

    @londonbrown said:

    Bears are cool??

    I couldn't deal with seeing a bear walking around, I would pussy out and run a mile 

    LOL, you need some bear education. You never run from a bear- they can outrun a horse over short distances. Unless there's a climbable tree handy. Grizzlies can't climb trees, and black bears don't like to.  It is a scary situation meeting one in the wild- at least not with my trusty .300 H&H handy. We met up with Yogi in the Bridger Wilderness in Wyoming many years ago. He was about 20 feet away, and if he had come at me, he would have gotten the food sack I had in my hands. Didn't give up easily either, circled our camp for about 15 minutes- seemed like hours- before he figured out we weren't providing bear treats. That permanently cured my wife from backpacking. 

    L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @hoorta said:

    And the anti- hunting crowd wants us to leave the deer alone. 🙂 What would they say if we reintroduced their natural predator timber wolves into the area?  Yeah, coyotes have made the migration East, and are pretty adaptable to urban areas. I've seen them on occasion a mile or less away from my house in Dayton. They probably could take down a faun. Used to tell my outdoor cat Ray to "watch out for the coyotes". House cats are a nice snack for those critters.  

    LOL, you need some bear education. You never run from a bear- they can outrun a horse over short distances. Unless there's a climbable tree handy. Grizzlies can't climb trees, and black bears don't like to.  It is a scary situation meeting one in the wild- at least not with my trusty .300 H&H handy. We met up with Yogi in the Bridger Wilderness in Wyoming many years ago. He was about 20 feet away, and if he had come at me, he would have gotten the food sack I had in my hands. Didn't give up easily either, circled our camp for about 15 minutes- seemed like hours- before he figured out we weren't providing bear treats. That permanently cured my wife from backpacking. 

    The first post has had a similar impact in London because since they banned fox hunting in the countryside there are loads of them in the city now. Foxes are a menace, leave trash everywhere as they rip open bags looking for food. We had a lot of snow here the other year and they apparently couldn't find food by smell so instead a lot of cats went by the wayside

    I will take note of the advice, your wife sounds smart 😉

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #27

    Sure honey, Browns play around 4:30. So drag me to Lowes,Best Buy & Mattress Firm all afternoon..But damn straight I wore "The I Hate the Steelers" T-Shirt..We may have 35 other team fans logging in to get theirs..😮..Man, that was some fun conversations had by all, I had never met before..Honey what did you buy us? ? 

  • Bears are cool??

    I couldn't deal with seeing a bear walking around, I would pussy out and run a mile 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @londonbrown said:

    Bears are cool??

    I couldn't deal with seeing a bear walking around, I would pussy out and run a mile 

    I have done it. you just yell at them and they run away. And my brother used to chase them out of his garbage dumpsters. 

  • @londonbrown said:

    Bears are cool??

    I couldn't deal with seeing a bear walking around, I would pussy out and run a mile 

    I have done it. you just yell at them and they run away. And my brother used to chase them out of his garbage dumpsters. 

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @the-gipper said:

    I have done it. you just yell at them and they run away. And my brother used to chase them out of his garbage dumpsters. 

    Unless they're grizzlies. But black bears are just a pain in the butt.