Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
  3. Vice

Vice

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
4 Posts 3 Posters 517 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
    • 57k Posts
    • 4k Reputation
    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #1

    Saw this movie tonight.   In a conversation with  WSS, he said he thought it would be a hack job on him.   So did I....but frankly....I thought that it was essentially  80-90% favorable toward him in its overall depiction.  Particularly in his early years and his home life.   Even in the depiction of his political career I thought it was very fair.  I thought that it did show him exercising a naked use of power.....but I did not find that either negative nor unfair.  It simply showed what it was like to do what must be done to rise to power and to use it.  I thought that was just a depiction of what politics in America may be like at the upper echelons.

    There were 3 areas where I think the movie was highly critical of him and showed him abusing his power.    But I do not think those criticisms were unfair....they were just as a guy at the end of the movie says:  showing facts.

    Two areas I knew about, which I think we all have been highly aware of:   A. his approval, essentially, of the use of torture.. in the war on terror...and his tortured justification of it.  and B.  The knowingly false pretext that led to the justification of the Iraq War.

    The third area that I found critical of him was just a small bit in the movie...and was, if true, an historical fact that I was never aware of:  During the Iraq War, he received an intelligence briefing about  this Al-Qaeda affiliated guy  Al-Zawaqiri (or something like that)....moving to consolidate his forces in northern Iraq.....and he apparently chose not to take any action against this group,   For whatever reason (and the movie does not give an explanation for this). This group eventually became ISIS, and it was implied that if Cheney had acted upon this intelligence (and , yes, Cheney actually had control over command decisions of the military)  that the whole ISIS problem may have never started. 

    Nevertheless, as Isaid, overall I thought the movie mainly somewhat sympathetic toward him.

    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
      • 39k Posts
      • 9k Reputation
      W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
      #2

      I saw today as well. It was 80% a hack job. 

      Bale was excellent.

      WSS

      www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
      The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • W Westside Steve

        I saw today as well. It was 80% a hack job. 

        Bale was excellent.

        WSS

        The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
        • 57k Posts
        • 4k Reputation
        The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
        #3

        @westside-steve said:

        I saw today as well. It was 80% a hack job. 

        Bale was excellent.

        WSS

        No it wasn’t it was 80% sympathetic. Apparently you just were looking for it to be a hack job there for you concluded that it was. I came away far more disposed in the guys favor than I ever thought I would be. 

        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • DieHardBrownsFan DieHardBrownsFanD Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Collaborator Posting Machine First Post One Month Later Week One Done One Year In
          • 28k Posts
          • 6k Reputation
          DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
          #4

          This movie was about WSS?

          "You planning on having a long relationship with that glass or are you going to drink it? Drink up, man. Maybe we can get another.” - Janis Joplin, 1970.
          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply

          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

          Register Login
          Reply
          • Reply as topic
          Log in to reply
          • Oldest to Newest
          • Newest to Oldest
          • Most Votes


          Theme
          • System
          • Light
          • Dark
          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

          • First post
            Last post
          0
          • Forums
          • Recent
          • Popular
          • Users
          • Donate