Skip to content

GREG WILLIAMS OUT

The Browns Board
69 31 3.0k 1
  • Greg Williams had a major part in turning these players into hungry competitors. I would rather have him with us than against us. 

  • 2 former defensive coaches that come to my mind that are out of the league, but would less'en the load on freddie would be Jack Del Rio or John Fox...Both were good enough at it, they both landed head coaching jobs..del rio is 55 & i think fits the attitude of the new browns.Steve Wilks was a good players coach at Carolina also..High Respect Gregg Williams! You took the worst tackling team I've ever seen & got them much Better..When Hue & Haley threw knives in the players backs..GW was their to pull them out & fight back..Thanks Gregg & good luck!  

    @gumby73 said:

    2 former defensive coaches that come to my mind that are out of the league, but would less'en the load on freddie would be Jack Del Rio or John Fox...Both were good enough at it, they both landed head coaching jobs..del rio is 55 & i think fits the attitude of the new browns.Steve Wilks was a good players coach at Carolina also..High Respect Gregg Williams! You took the worst tackling team I've ever seen & got them much Better..When Hue & Haley threw knives in the players backs..GW was their to pull them out & fight back..Thanks Gregg & good luck!  

    Well...I mentioned Wilks.   And Del Rio could be a name to consider.   Fox is decrepit...but who knows....LeBeau was still a DC at like 75+

  • @hoorta said:

    Have to give him a promotion, and a lot of $$$ to leave Indy....   

    EDIT: DC to DC is a lateral move, and if I'm not mistaken, the Colts could block it...  Assuming he's still got time left on his contract....  

    For the record, we have this discussion every year, any position that isn't the head coach position is considered a lateral move.  You can be the flunky donut runner and not be given permission to be a coordinator.

    @ballpeen said:

    For the record, we have this discussion every year, any position that isn't the head coach position is considered a lateral move.  You can be the flunky donut runner and not be given permission to be a coordinator.

    Are you sure about that?  I thought that if you were a position coach...and were being considered for a coordinator job that you could be interviewed/hired elsewhere. 

    But you are saying that if, say, a linebacker coach is under contract, that he cannot interview for a DC position (unless his current team gives permission)?

  • Yes.  The team has to grant permission.

  • Here's one concern. Hue Jackson was a player's coach and it seems like they slacked off on him. Gregg Williams was a bit more of a Taskmaster who put up with less shit and they did respond. I fear that Freddy might be another player's coach. I really hope somebody keeps the heat on. You noticed the drop-off and stupid penalties when Williams took over right?  

    WSS

  • I think all concerns are legit.. Freddie has a lot to prove.. we will see.....

  • hit on this rolling through some hard knocks videos this morning 

    Much respect to a guy that stays 'real' in his own business.. I'll miss more from what the guy has inside that comes out than how his players performed..      

  • Here's one concern. Hue Jackson was a player's coach and it seems like they slacked off on him. Gregg Williams was a bit more of a Taskmaster who put up with less shit and they did respond. I fear that Freddy might be another player's coach. I really hope somebody keeps the heat on. You noticed the drop-off and stupid penalties when Williams took over right?  

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Here's one concern. Hue Jackson was a player's coach and it seems like they slacked off on him. Gregg Williams was a bit more of a Taskmaster who put up with less shit and they did respond. I fear that Freddy might be another player's coach. I really hope somebody keeps the heat on. You noticed the drop-off and stupid penalties when Williams took over right?  

    WSS

    It's a vicious cycle. Players complain that they want a coach that will treat them like men, and when they get that coach, the players immediately begin acting like immature boys. A guy like Gregg Williams was exactly what the Browns needed. Granted, the tough love schtick usually wears thin with the players after 2 or 3 years but it was definitely what this team needed at the time.

  • I'm going to talk out of both sides of my mouth here.

    First, our defense has been ranked as close as possible to the bottom of the league in most defensive yardage allowed categories, all year long.   -  Last year we played defense with basically 10 players and Peppers playing goalie on the other side of the field.  That just didn't seem brilliant, but maybe it was.  We can't go back and try it another way to find out.  Perhaps it's best that we're going with a new DC.  (and with the hire of Kitchens, we pretty much HAD to let Gregg go).

    Other side of mouth:  Williams' defense was aggressive and ball hawking...WITHOUT being undisciplined.  The Ghoul predicted players running around like crazed dogs (to borrow an old term) blowing assignments and getting penalties.  That wasn't so.

    And Gregg took over the team at a point where the team was losing games and lost their HC & OC...and what he did was to bring stability to the ship.  There was no more throwing people under the bus.   Press conferences were cohesive and more professional.  

    I join Nickers, and others, who have said Thank You to Gregg Williams!  I wish him well.

    @orion said:

    I'm going to talk out of both sides of my mouth here.

    First, our defense has been ranked as close as possible to the bottom of the league in most defensive yardage allowed categories, all year long.   -  Last year we played defense with basically 10 players and Peppers playing goalie on the other side of the field.  That just didn't seem brilliant, but maybe it was.  We can't go back and try it another way to find out.  Perhaps it's best that we're going with a new DC.  (and with the hire of Kitchens, we pretty much HAD to let Gregg go).

    Other side of mouth:  Williams' defense was aggressive and ball hawking...WITHOUT being undisciplined.  The Ghoul predicted players running around like crazed dogs (to borrow an old term) blowing assignments and getting penalties.  That wasn't so.

    And Gregg took over the team at a point where the team was losing games and lost their HC & OC...and what he did was to bring stability to the ship.  There was no more throwing people under the bus.   Press conferences were cohesive and more professional.  

    I join Nickers, and others, who have said Thank You to Gregg Williams!  I wish him well.

    U sure about that disciplined part? I havent looked up a stat so this is smell test assessment, on both sides of the ball tbh....the browns got alot of flags this year. I mean a couple games i went to.u looked down for a sec to taje a sip of beer and u looked up in time to see a little yellow fucker floating back down onto the field.

    I got beside myself at a couple games, like sputtering at the refs "u throw thst flag one more fucking time asshole im gonna find out where u kids go to school".

  • @orion said:

    I'm going to talk out of both sides of my mouth here.

    First, our defense has been ranked as close as possible to the bottom of the league in most defensive yardage allowed categories, all year long.   -  Last year we played defense with basically 10 players and Peppers playing goalie on the other side of the field.  That just didn't seem brilliant, but maybe it was.  We can't go back and try it another way to find out.  Perhaps it's best that we're going with a new DC.  (and with the hire of Kitchens, we pretty much HAD to let Gregg go).

    Other side of mouth:  Williams' defense was aggressive and ball hawking...WITHOUT being undisciplined.  The Ghoul predicted players running around like crazed dogs (to borrow an old term) blowing assignments and getting penalties.  That wasn't so.

    And Gregg took over the team at a point where the team was losing games and lost their HC & OC...and what he did was to bring stability to the ship.  There was no more throwing people under the bus.   Press conferences were cohesive and more professional.  

    I join Nickers, and others, who have said Thank You to Gregg Williams!  I wish him well.

    U sure about that disciplined part? I havent looked up a stat so this is smell test assessment, on both sides of the ball tbh....the browns got alot of flags this year. I mean a couple games i went to.u looked down for a sec to taje a sip of beer and u looked up in time to see a little yellow fucker floating back down onto the field.

    I got beside myself at a couple games, like sputtering at the refs "u throw thst flag one more fucking time asshole im gonna find out where u kids go to school".

    @clevfan4life said:

    U sure about that disciplined part? I havent looked up a stat so this is smell test assessment, on both sides of the ball tbh....the browns got alot of flags this year. I mean a couple games i went to.u looked down for a sec to taje a sip of beer and u looked up in time to see a little yellow fucker floating back down onto the field.

    I got beside myself at a couple games, like sputtering at the refs "u throw thst flag one more fucking time asshole im gonna find out where u kids go to school".

    I haven't looked at any official stats either, but my eye test said we had noticeably fewer penalties once Greg took over.    

  • @clevfan4life said:

    U sure about that disciplined part? I havent looked up a stat so this is smell test assessment, on both sides of the ball tbh....the browns got alot of flags this year. I mean a couple games i went to.u looked down for a sec to taje a sip of beer and u looked up in time to see a little yellow fucker floating back down onto the field.

    I got beside myself at a couple games, like sputtering at the refs "u throw thst flag one more fucking time asshole im gonna find out where u kids go to school".

    I haven't looked at any official stats either, but my eye test said we had noticeably fewer penalties once Greg took over.    

    @d-bone said:

    I haven't looked at any official stats either, but my eye test said we had noticeably fewer penalties once Greg took over.    

    From what I remember, that was the case for the first couple games, but then it seemed like they reverted back with time. 

  • GW was great as far as discipline is concerned. It was the game managing/decision making that seemed suspect to me

  • @clevfan4life said:

    U sure about that disciplined part? I havent looked up a stat so this is smell test assessment, on both sides of the ball tbh....the browns got alot of flags this year. I mean a couple games i went to.u looked down for a sec to taje a sip of beer and u looked up in time to see a little yellow fucker floating back down onto the field.

    I got beside myself at a couple games, like sputtering at the refs "u throw thst flag one more fucking time asshole im gonna find out where u kids go to school".

    I haven't looked at any official stats either, but my eye test said we had noticeably fewer penalties once Greg took over.    

    @d-bone said:

    I haven't looked at any official stats either, but my eye test said we had noticeably fewer penalties once Greg took over.    

    With HueJax-- per game/11-4-5-8-10-6-14-7..we were in top 3...Post Huejax after Pitt.--per game/4-7-7-6-7-6-6-4...we finished ranked #15 in total penalties committed.. 

  • @clevfan4life said:

    U sure about that disciplined part? I havent looked up a stat so this is smell test assessment, on both sides of the ball tbh....the browns got alot of flags this year. I mean a couple games i went to.u looked down for a sec to taje a sip of beer and u looked up in time to see a little yellow fucker floating back down onto the field.

    I got beside myself at a couple games, like sputtering at the refs "u throw thst flag one more fucking time asshole im gonna find out where u kids go to school".

    I haven't looked at any official stats either, but my eye test said we had noticeably fewer penalties once Greg took over.    

    @d-bone said:

    I haven't looked at any official stats either, but my eye test said we had noticeably fewer penalties once Greg took over.    

    I forget which game it was but i distinctly rem thinking "i thought this shit was over with now that gw is runming things"

  • I hope this works out...i prefer taskmaster to players coach.  These millionaires have been coddled since high school. 

  • Confirmed new DC at the Jets ....week 1 next year Browns at Jets 🙂

  • That should be interesting with him and gase

  • That should be interesting with him and gase

    @lbc-mike said:

    That should be interesting with him and gase

    Certainly:

    giphy.gif

  • He's got a good chance at being interim HC by mid season 2020.

  • Gets to work Leonard Williams, Darron Lee Jamal Adams...     not a bad gig.