2019 Mock Drafts
-
Oh, Goody... The highlight game.
Maybe someone can explain to me the struggles with Murray taking a straight drop with no action and failing to see what's in front of him or simply finding his outlet receiver - as shown by play #2 and a solid amount of plays after.
... Don't answer that, because it's rhetorical.
Questions about his height lead into things like vision, then you talk about pocket movement, which Murray isn't great at without dropping his eyes. Then that rolls into a talk of missing windows because being 5'8 doesnt help - therefore the timing and anticipation of throws vs certain coverages comes into play.
If we want to call any QB that has ever made a nice throw on the run Patrick Mahomes then you're going to run into a list that is far more sizeable and far less flattering than you'll want to yield.
QB's start up top between the ears, not their legs. We had this argument last year with Lamar Jackson - an argument that @louisville-slugger won in terms of 'the battle'... But as San Diego showed us, the war looks like its be going to be a dub for my assessment.
Bottom line, anything is possible. It's *possible* I could bang Jessica Alba. But I don't work on what is possible and most football minds don't. I work on what is probable, what I have evidence of.
Evidence shows that Murray will be a long line of "exciting" Running QB's (plus Heisman winners) who might make a wow play here or there, but the consistency, accuracy and ruthless efficiency that makes a good to great NFL QB really isn't there.
But I'll make sure to bookmark this for next year.
You keep missing the fact that I've continually said that Jackson is a scheme specific gimmick QB. He is going to get better now that Roman has full control of the offense. When I was talking about Lamar, the browns were a lost cause that I didnt think a rookie QB could fix. Can he grow into a McNair type? Probably not but you're going to get 8 years of quality football if you keep the scheme.
So for the record my top choices were
1. Baker Mayfeild
2. Lamar Jackson in Greg Roman's offense
You had Rosen on top of your board so...
You keep missing the fact that I've continually said that Jackson is a scheme specific gimmick QB.
-
Kyler Murray in the 1st LOLOLOLOL. That's good stuff.
I've wanted Kyler Murray as our 1st round pick for a few months now if they're certain he chooses football. Having Mayfield and Murray competing with each other could produce amazing results while providing depth at the most important position. They'll be able to trade/flip one of them in a couple seasons after they find their guy.
Cheesy, but I was looking for a pic of the two together for a min and this is all I got


I've wanted Kyler Murray as our 1st round pick for a few months now if they're certain he chooses football. Having Mayfield and Murray competing with each other could produce amazing results while providing depth at the most important position. They'll be able to trade/flip one of them in a couple seasons after they find their guy.
Cheesy, but I was looking for a pic of the two together for a min and this is all I got
We are finally in the position to take the BPA and add a damn nice piece at #17. We need help on D stopping the run. Taking Kyler Murray could possibly be the stupidest thing Dorsey could do. Baker Mayfield is our franchise QB. He doesn't need competition, he needs a supporting cast. You take a QB round 5 or 6 and develop him into a backup. Or bring back that kid we cut at the end of preseason last year.
-
Has a sustained QB competition ever worked?
Sort of. MOrton and Staubach had it for a few years. Both took the Cowboys to the SB. Montana and Steve Young for a bit....also both went to SB. I think Darryl Lamonica and Ken Stabler had one for a bit....both being successful. There could be a couple of others.
I don't know if you call these sustained...but they existed for a while....and the results were good for the team under both QBs. But eventually one guy will always prevail.
Can't recall any particular team that had a true dual QB system that went for the long run.
-
Has a sustained QB competition ever worked?
Sort of. MOrton and Staubach had it for a few years. Both took the Cowboys to the SB. Montana and Steve Young for a bit....also both went to SB. I think Darryl Lamonica and Ken Stabler had one for a bit....both being successful. There could be a couple of others.
I don't know if you call these sustained...but they existed for a while....and the results were good for the team under both QBs. But eventually one guy will always prevail.
Can't recall any particular team that had a true dual QB system that went for the long run.
Sort of. MOrton and Staubach had it for a few years. Both took the Cowboys to the SB. Montana and Steve Young for a bit....also both went to SB. I think Darryl Lamonica and Ken Stabler had one for a bit....both being successful. There could be a couple of others.
I don't know if you call these sustained...but they existed for a while....and the results were good for the team under both QBs. But eventually one guy will always prevail.
Can't recall any particular team that had a true dual QB system that went for the long run.
And none of those in the salary cap era.
-
myself, I really was not that impressed with the Senior Bowl QB's. I was really impressed with Brett Rypien (3/4 rd.) at the Shrine bowl that could work well with Baker imo..Buffalos Tyree Jackson (5/6 rd)..Am not sure with the 1's if he's a tall touchless Cardale Jones? or a wild Paxton Lynch? I really see Rypien's stock rising at combine. A real natural look coming out from under center..As for Mocks, they get messy when teams reach for top QB's..Oh! it will happen
, but not us this time..
myself, I really was not that impressed with the Senior Bowl QB's. I was really impressed with Brett Rypien (3/4 rd.) at the Shrine bowl that could work well with Baker imo..Buffalos Tyree Jackson (5/6 rd)..Am not sure with the 1's if he's a tall touchless Cardale Jones? or a wild Paxton Lynch? I really see Rypien's stock rising at combine. A real natural look coming out from under center..As for Mocks, they get messy when teams reach for top QB's..Oh! it will happen
, but not us this time..
It doesn't hurt that Rypien has DNA on his side....his Dad being a Super Bowl winning QB.
-
Sort of. MOrton and Staubach had it for a few years. Both took the Cowboys to the SB. Montana and Steve Young for a bit....also both went to SB. I think Darryl Lamonica and Ken Stabler had one for a bit....both being successful. There could be a couple of others.
I don't know if you call these sustained...but they existed for a while....and the results were good for the team under both QBs. But eventually one guy will always prevail.
Can't recall any particular team that had a true dual QB system that went for the long run.
And none of those in the salary cap era.
And none of those in the salary cap era.
If both players were young and on their initial rookie contracts....it would be fine financially. Not that I am advocating that a dual QB system is something the Browns could do. Just saying that in the right circumstance, theoretically it is plausible. And the question poised did ask "ever".
So, I guess I could have gone back to the Canton Bulldogs.
Or...better yet...this one seemed to be somewhat sustained: Norm Van Brocklin and Bob Waterfield. LA Rams.
-
Mayfeild???
I'd be careful about basing an argument on Rosen's part-time starter year in AZ.
-
First and foremost - QB, unlike any other position on the field, isn't one you 'shore up' with that kind of redundancy. Especially by taking another QB first round and said QB has an incredibly questionable NFL skill set.
Now, can you take a mid to late round QB who you see as someone that can be groomed into a good backup QB? Maybe. But you don't help your young QB's development by drafting the position again simply for the sake of "competition". Baker is a fiery and competitve guy as is. So you aren't pushing him more than he pushes himself already. Also, if the guy you drafted can't win the position your return on investment sure as shit won't be a 1st rounder. Best to draft elsewhere and improve the supporting cast.
There is nobody worth their football salt, possessing any decent insight into the game that will agree with you here. This board or other wise.
It's not just for competition and depth, it''s making it a much higher probability that they've finally got an elite franchise QB they've never had.
His skill set is comparable to Patrick Mahomes minus the height, but faster. If Patrick Mahomes was entering the draft this April, would you consider him at pick #17 if he was available based of his college production? Just wanna know if it's truly that you don't want another QB, or if it's just the player you don't like in Murray.
It's not just for competition and depth, it''s making it a much higher probability that they've finally got an elite franchise QB they've never had.
His skill set is comparable to Patrick Mahomes minus the height, but faster. If Patrick Mahomes was entering the draft this April, would you consider him at pick #17 if he was available based of his college production? Just wanna know if it's truly that you don't want another QB, or if it's just the player you don't like in Murray.
First, you may be the only Browns fan on the planet who doesn't think Mayfield at long last is the franchise quarterback the Browns have missed since 1999. Couch might have been if he had been surrounded with a better supporting cast. (IIRC Tour may need one more season before he's completely convinced)
Just please, stop comparing this guy to Mahomes- because there's no comparison. If we didn't have Baker, of course the Browns would consider Mahomes at #17 if he was available, but not Murray. Patrick has 5 inches in height on him, and if you think he has a comparable arm? My football days go back to Jim Brown, and in recent vintage quarterbacking, MHO is the only guy who could measure up to Mahomes' arm strength is a young John Elway, and he's already more accurate than Elway ever was. I doubt there's any quarterback in the NFL that can match him in that regard.
I'm not too worried, we usually get these off the wall opinions of players, but there is no way in hell the Browns will even consider drafting Murray, especially in the first round. I'd bet the ranch on it. Watching some of the Oklahoma- Alabama highlights, Murray just doesn't have the build to survive the long term pounding he's going to get in the NFL. Listed at 5' 10", 195, and care to bet at the combine that's grossly overstated? He looks like a 185 pound WR.
PS, EDIT: Sure, there's plenty of early mock drafts showing Murray going in the first round, but taking another QB in the first with Baker in place is an insane luxury pick- it's not happening...
-
I've wanted Kyler Murray as our 1st round pick for a few months now if they're certain he chooses football. Having Mayfield and Murray competing with each other could produce amazing results while providing depth at the most important position. They'll be able to trade/flip one of them in a couple seasons after they find their guy.
Cheesy, but I was looking for a pic of the two together for a min and this is all I got
Sadly that still isn't the dumbest thing I've ever read on these forums.
-
Greedy Williams that late would be great
(also two wolverines for the Raiders)
-
It's not just for competition and depth, it''s making it a much higher probability that they've finally got an elite franchise QB they've never had.
His skill set is comparable to Patrick Mahomes minus the height, but faster. If Patrick Mahomes was entering the draft this April, would you consider him at pick #17 if he was available based of his college production? Just wanna know if it's truly that you don't want another QB, or if it's just the player you don't like in Murray.
First, you may be the only Browns fan on the planet who doesn't think Mayfield at long last is the franchise quarterback the Browns have missed since 1999. Couch might have been if he had been surrounded with a better supporting cast. (IIRC Tour may need one more season before he's completely convinced)
Just please, stop comparing this guy to Mahomes- because there's no comparison. If we didn't have Baker, of course the Browns would consider Mahomes at #17 if he was available, but not Murray. Patrick has 5 inches in height on him, and if you think he has a comparable arm? My football days go back to Jim Brown, and in recent vintage quarterbacking, MHO is the only guy who could measure up to Mahomes' arm strength is a young John Elway, and he's already more accurate than Elway ever was. I doubt there's any quarterback in the NFL that can match him in that regard.
I'm not too worried, we usually get these off the wall opinions of players, but there is no way in hell the Browns will even consider drafting Murray, especially in the first round. I'd bet the ranch on it. Watching some of the Oklahoma- Alabama highlights, Murray just doesn't have the build to survive the long term pounding he's going to get in the NFL. Listed at 5' 10", 195, and care to bet at the combine that's grossly overstated? He looks like a 185 pound WR.
PS, EDIT: Sure, there's plenty of early mock drafts showing Murray going in the first round, but taking another QB in the first with Baker in place is an insane luxury pick- it's not happening...
First, you may be the only Browns fan on the planet who doesn't think Mayfield at long last is the franchise quarterback the Browns have missed since 1999.
Not to agree with this guy, but I'm still in a "wait and watch" approach.
There are a lot of things I see which I like. There are others that.... not so much. I have some optimism for once and I believe the potential is there. Realizing said potential is the question.
-
I've wanted Kyler Murray as our 1st round pick for a few months now if they're certain he chooses football. Having Mayfield and Murray competing with each other could produce amazing results while providing depth at the most important position. They'll be able to trade/flip one of them in a couple seasons after they find their guy.
Cheesy, but I was looking for a pic of the two together for a min and this is all I got
Sadly that still isn't the dumbest thing I've ever read on these forums.
-
-
-
most of the mocks I've seen so far have the Def players worth anything going before we pick, so they have us taking a WR. Im not 100% against that IF that WR would under normal years be a top 10 prospect. I'll look at some tape tho but evaluating WR's in college isn't my thing cause a lot of them can look amazing lighting up collegiate secondaries but when it comes time to separate from NFL DB's....anyway, im still leaning to either trading up to get a DL/DE or trading completely out of the 1st round and stockpiling picks for trade capital.
-
unless a player falls on draft day, we'll see.
-
For the Browns pick at 17 I would like either of these but they could all go before we pick
Byron Murphy CB ...... Shut down corner opposite Ward ...... 2 islands in one team
Devin White ILB/OLB Bawl hawk, high intensity athlete, super fast
DK Metcalf WR .... NFL ready, number 1 receiver in first season
Dremont Jones .. DT ..... Buckeye run stuffer alongside Larry O, ideally would like a vet next to Larry O like Grady Jarrett but Jones has huge potential
-
Ive seen mocks with Devin going top 5
-
most of the mocks I've seen so far have the Def players worth anything going before we pick, so they have us taking a WR. Im not 100% against that IF that WR would under normal years be a top 10 prospect. I'll look at some tape tho but evaluating WR's in college isn't my thing cause a lot of them can look amazing lighting up collegiate secondaries but when it comes time to separate from NFL DB's....anyway, im still leaning to either trading up to get a DL/DE or trading completely out of the 1st round and stockpiling picks for trade capital.
trading completely out of the 1st round and stockpiling picks for trade capital.
Well that isn't going to happen so might as well embrace that little reality while you can.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
