Skip to content

AAF

The Browns Board
63 18 3.5k
  • @nero said:

    I'd say that for us europeans, having a soccer league that lasts from late August till May, it is quite surprising how short the NFL is, though it makes a lot of sense with the risk it brings for the players. Also here we have few people who watch, let's say basketball + tennis + motor sports + soccer, and we haven't got that "one sport for each season" concept you americans have. 

    Nothing against it, but I wouldn't say that the scarcity makes american football more appealing. Just my two cents. 

    You might be onto something, because if it was up to me every American pro sport's season would be shortened. 

    14 game NFL season, 140 MLB season, 60 game NBA and NHL season. Less overlapping of sports seasons. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    You might be onto something, because if it was up to me every American pro sport's season would be shortened. 

    14 game NFL season, 140 MLB season, 60 game NBA and NHL season. Less overlapping of sports seasons. 

    He is saying that in Europe all the seasons are much longer than we have over here. Of course they only follow one sport. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    You might be onto something, because if it was up to me every American pro sport's season would be shortened. 

    14 game NFL season, 140 MLB season, 60 game NBA and NHL season. Less overlapping of sports seasons. 

    He is saying that in Europe all the seasons are much longer than we have over here. Of course they only follow one sport. 

    @the-gipper said:

    He is saying that in Europe all the seasons are much longer than we have over here. Of course they only follow one sport. 

    Not only one sport, but there are way less people watching 4 sports like you do in America with football+basketball+baseball+NHL

  • @the-gipper said:

    He is saying that in Europe all the seasons are much longer than we have over here. Of course they only follow one sport. 

    Not only one sport, but there are way less people watching 4 sports like you do in America with football+basketball+baseball+NHL

    @nero said:

    Not only one sport, but there are way less people watching 4 sports like you do in America with football+basketball+baseball+NHL

    What are the other major sports in Spain 

  • @nero said:

    Not only one sport, but there are way less people watching 4 sports like you do in America with football+basketball+baseball+NHL

    What are the other major sports in Spain 

    @the-gipper said:

    What are the other major sports in Spain 

    We got Nadal, so tennis must be one. I'd say that Motorcycling is huge here, many Spaniards are world class level. Same with cycling. Basketball has many fans, indeed, and I don't know if it does, but handball I think is up there too. And indoor soccer, which is completely different to normal soccer should I say. 

    I can't think of any other sport with as many followers as the ones mentioned above... 

  • @the-gipper said:

    What are the other major sports in Spain 

    We got Nadal, so tennis must be one. I'd say that Motorcycling is huge here, many Spaniards are world class level. Same with cycling. Basketball has many fans, indeed, and I don't know if it does, but handball I think is up there too. And indoor soccer, which is completely different to normal soccer should I say. 

    I can't think of any other sport with as many followers as the ones mentioned above... 

    @nero said:

    We got Nadal, so tennis must be one. I'd say that Motorcycling is huge here, many Spaniards are world class level. Same with cycling. Basketball has many fans, indeed, and I don't know if it does, but handball I think is up there too. And indoor soccer, which is completely different to normal soccer should I say. 

    I can't think of any other sport with as many followers as the ones mentioned above... 

    I always thought Nadal was Argentinean until this very moment.

    Don't know why.

    Z

  • @nero said:

    We got Nadal, so tennis must be one. I'd say that Motorcycling is huge here, many Spaniards are world class level. Same with cycling. Basketball has many fans, indeed, and I don't know if it does, but handball I think is up there too. And indoor soccer, which is completely different to normal soccer should I say. 

    I can't think of any other sport with as many followers as the ones mentioned above... 

    I always thought Nadal was Argentinean until this very moment.

    Don't know why.

    Z

    Zombo said:

    I always thought Nadal was Argentinean until this very moment.

    Don't know why.

    Z

    🙂 that's OK Z for those who don't follow the sport closely.  You'd think Stan Warinka is Polish- except he's not, he Swiss.... 

  • @nero said:

    We got Nadal, so tennis must be one. I'd say that Motorcycling is huge here, many Spaniards are world class level. Same with cycling. Basketball has many fans, indeed, and I don't know if it does, but handball I think is up there too. And indoor soccer, which is completely different to normal soccer should I say. 

    I can't think of any other sport with as many followers as the ones mentioned above... 

    I always thought Nadal was Argentinean until this very moment.

    Don't know why.

    Z

    Zombo said:

    I always thought Nadal was Argentinean until this very moment.

    Don't know why.

    Z

    Del Potro is a top tennis player and he is from Argentina. Maybe that has something to do?

  • Zombo said:

    I always thought Nadal was Argentinean until this very moment.

    Don't know why.

    Z

    Del Potro is a top tennis player and he is from Argentina. Maybe that has something to do?

    @nero said:

    Del Potro is a top tennis player and he is from Argentina. Maybe that has something to do?

    I'm old, probably more to do with Guillermo Villas and Gabby Sabatini.

    I think I checked out on tennis around the time Sampras and Agassi got old and Anna Kournikova stopped knocking balls around.

    anna-kournikova-all-people-photo-u1?w=65

  • @the-gipper said:

    What are the other major sports in Spain 

    We got Nadal, so tennis must be one. I'd say that Motorcycling is huge here, many Spaniards are world class level. Same with cycling. Basketball has many fans, indeed, and I don't know if it does, but handball I think is up there too. And indoor soccer, which is completely different to normal soccer should I say. 

    I can't think of any other sport with as many followers as the ones mentioned above... 

    @nero said:

    We got Nadal, so tennis must be one. I'd say that Motorcycling is huge here, many Spaniards are world class level. Same with cycling. Basketball has many fans, indeed, and I don't know if it does, but handball I think is up there too. And indoor soccer, which is completely different to normal soccer should I say. 

    I can't think of any other sport with as many followers as the ones mentioned above... 

    Well....I would say golf is more popular here than tennis...but I guess it depends on if you have a star from your country...like you do.  No US tennis male stars...(not like when we had McEnroe/Conners/Sampras/Agassi) ,  but the Williams sisters certainly are.  Indoor soccer was quite popular here once upon a time....especially in Cleveland (we even had some stars....can anyone remember Kai Haaskivi?) ....and imo...is far superior than the normal version. 

    And handball? we played that in gym in junior high and high school. You put that leather glove on and slap that little rubber ball of the wall and you play an opponent. I think racketball derived from that. 

  • Zombo said:

    I always thought Nadal was Argentinean until this very moment.

    Don't know why.

    Z

    🙂 that's OK Z for those who don't follow the sport closely.  You'd think Stan Warinka is Polish- except he's not, he Swiss.... 

    @hoorta said:

    🙂 that's OK Z for those who don't follow the sport closely.  You'd think Stan Warinka is Polish- except he's not, he Swiss.... 

    Or are you confusing Federer...who is Swiss.

  • @nero said:

    Del Potro is a top tennis player and he is from Argentina. Maybe that has something to do?

    I'm old, probably more to do with Guillermo Villas and Gabby Sabatini.

    I think I checked out on tennis around the time Sampras and Agassi got old and Anna Kournikova stopped knocking balls around.

    anna-kournikova-all-people-photo-u1?w=65

    Zombo said:

    I'm old, probably more to do with Guillermo Villas and Gabby Sabatini.

    I think I checked out on tennis around the time Sampras and Agassi got old and Anna Kournikova stopped knocking balls around.

    anna-kournikova-all-people-photo-u1?w=65

    Anna Kanacorna......the biggest star that never did nothing.....except be hot as hell.

  • @hoorta said:

    🙂 that's OK Z for those who don't follow the sport closely.  You'd think Stan Warinka is Polish- except he's not, he Swiss.... 

    Or are you confusing Federer...who is Swiss.

    @the-gipper said:

    Or are you confusing Federer...who is Swiss.

    Absolutely not Gipper, I probably follow tennis more than baseball... Stan Warinka IS Swiss, though you wouldn't think it with a name like that... Knew all along what countries Federer and Nadal were from... And Nadal is a lefty- like me, so I tend to follow his doings and root for him, all things considered. 

    And speaking of lefties, I also have a fond spot in my heart for John McEnroe- who besides being a lefty, played tennis the same way I used to.... I believe I still hold the University of Dayton record for a racquet toss- over two courts and a 20' tall row of pine trees.  Me and John even preferred the same racquet- a Wilson Pro Staff. 🙂   What I didn't know about John was he was formerly married to Tatum O'Neal...  

    PS- American John Isner has hung around in the top 10 for years, though he's never broken through to win a major tournament. And if you remember, he also played the longest match in pro tennis history. That record will stand forever, as all major tournaments have now capped how long a deciding set can go before it forces a tiebreaker- no more 70-68 sets. Should mention we have an up and coming American, Frances Tiafoe, 21 yo.....    

    PPS- if Anna had been able to play tennis up to the level of her looks, she'd be in the same category as the Williams sisters... Of the current crop of women players, Carolyn Wozniacki isn't too shabby looking...  

    Image result for Caroline Wozniacki tennis players