Skip to content

Oscars??

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
15 6 521
  • @westside-steve said:

    Can anyone tell me what TV channel the Oscar presentation is on tonight? It seems all I can find is the BET Awards.

    WSS

    Sorry I'm late Steve, but it was on ABC. Don't worry, It wasn't even worth watching this year.

    @stillmotion said:

    Sorry I'm late Steve, but it was on ABC. Don't worry, It wasn't even worth watching this year.

    I was kidding. 90% of the people on the show where black so I was making a joke about it being the BET Awards.

    WSS

  • Does anyone really care about rich people giving rich people awards?

    @browns149 said:

    Does anyone really care about rich people giving rich people awards?

    I do, or at least I used to. I don't care how much money artists musicians sports figures Etc have but I was a theater major in college it always wanted to be an actor. That being said when a group of your peers votes your performance as the best of a particular season, whether it's high school college or especially Hollywood, it's a great honor. This year it's been politicized completely away from good performances. And it really makes me sick.

    WSS

  • By the way braying about Freddie Mercury being an immigrant and following his dream isn't exactly correct as he was born in Tanzania which is and was a British protectorate.

    I still think the best performance was Christian Bale as Dick Cheney albeit in a weak film.

    WSS

  • By the way braying about Freddie Mercury being an immigrant and following his dream isn't exactly correct as he was born in Tanzania which is and was a British protectorate.

    I still think the best performance was Christian Bale as Dick Cheney albeit in a weak film.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    By the way braying about Freddie Mercury being an immigrant and following his dream isn't exactly correct as he was born in Tanzania which is and was a British protectorate.

    I still think the best performance was Christian Bale as Dick Cheney albeit in a weak film.

    WSS

    When  Mercury was born in 1946 in Zanzibar, both it and Tanganyika  were British Colonies.  They gained their independence in 1961.  Tanganyika and Zanzibar later merged to become Tanzania. He lived in India some as a child, then he family moved back to Zanzibar for a while (before the merger)...but then in 1964 they moved permanently to England (he would have been 18 then). Zanzibar had been independent for a few years.  He was supposedly  a British "subject" (but I don't know if we can assume that means "citizen"..see below) all his life,  but did not live in England until, as I said, he was 18.

    I don't know if that makes him an immigrant or not.   (I would think not....if you are a citizen can you be an immigrant to the country you are a citizen of?...But was he a "citizen"? See here: 

    Perhaps not....and I say that out of some personal experience:   My mother was born in Ireland in 1918...while Ireland was still under British control (colony? protectorate). My grandfather even worked for the British government (the Admiralty).  When Ireland gained its independence in 1923, the family moved to England with the job, and she lived in England  (with some time in Malta...then also a Britich protectorate)  until she came here as a war bride in 1946..at age 28.  But she never became a US citizen.  When she later wanted to go back to England to visit her relatives....she couldn't get a US passport naturally....so she applied to get a British passport.  They denied giving her a passport....and said that she was never a citizen of the UK because she was born in Ireland, and that she had to apply to Ireland for a passport.  She did, and they gave her a passport...even though technically she may have never lived in independent Ireland except perhaps for a very short while when she was 5 years old. I am not sure about the timing of things. 

    So, I guess that all the while that she lived in England she was actually an "immigrant".  And all the while that she lived in America she was an immigrant.

    And where she was born was never really an independent nation when she live there.

    So, I don't know.  It seems that Britain doesn't necessarily grant citizenship to their "subjects" that were born in their protectorates. I don't know if Freddie had to go through some procedure to attain British Citizenship or not.

  • By the way,  Freddie Mercury was born in September 1946.

    So he would have been the same age as Donald Trump...born June 1946,  George W. Bush, born July 1946, and Bill Clinton, born August 1946.

  • Or Jimmy Buffett, Dolly Parton and Sylvester Stallone. So?

    WSS

  • Or Jimmy Buffett, Dolly Parton and Sylvester Stallone. So?

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Or Jimmy Buffett, Dolly Parton and Sylvester Stallone. So?

    WSS

    Its called a factoid of information.  Make of it what you will.

  • Aids started in Africa I believe.....

  • Aids started in Africa I believe.....

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Aids started in Africa I believe.....

    As did Homo Sapiens

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Aids started in Africa I believe.....

    As did Homo Sapiens

    @the-gipper said:

    As did Homo Sapiens

    Of course in most places around the world they have evolved.

    WSS

  • @the-gipper said:

    As did Homo Sapiens

    Of course in most places around the world they have evolved.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Of course in most places around the world they have evolved.

    WSS

    In your case:

    giphy.gif

  • @browns149 said:

    Does anyone really care about rich people giving rich people awards?

    I do, or at least I used to. I don't care how much money artists musicians sports figures Etc have but I was a theater major in college it always wanted to be an actor. That being said when a group of your peers votes your performance as the best of a particular season, whether it's high school college or especially Hollywood, it's a great honor. This year it's been politicized completely away from good performances. And it really makes me sick.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

     This year it's been politicized completely away from good performances. And it really makes me sick.

    WSS

    Yes but the live performance of Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga was something special. ?