Skip to content

Browns analysis: Top needs and players to watch at NFL Scouting Combine

The Browns Board
22 10 423
  • @ballpeen said:

    Like I said, it plays a part.  Sure, we aren't going to draft a QB in round 1 just like we aren't going to draft a punter in round 1.  There comes a point where drafting a player at some position is just silly.  We don't need to discuss that

    You also look at needs if you have 2-3 players you more or less rank the same.  I am sure players grade out in "ties" all the time, so you might rank them according to need.

    You also have times there is a clear cut best player on the board.  IMO you are best served taking that player.

    I think even the clear cut best player also depends on what position he plays.  If the "clear cut best player" is a QB, RB or TE, there's really no point drafting him.  Better to trade back some to get something in return and then pick the best player available that is also at a position of need.    At RB, we already have Chubb and Hunt (pending suspension), there just aren't enough carries to go around for both of these guys to be effective long term so there would be no point adding a 3rd high draft pick RB to that mix.   We have bigger holes to fill than a RB. 

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @mark-o said:

    I think even the clear cut best player also depends on what position he plays.  If the "clear cut best player" is a QB, RB or TE, there's really no point drafting him.  Better to trade back some to get something in return and then pick the best player available that is also at a position of need.    At RB, we already have Chubb and Hunt (pending suspension), there just aren't enough carries to go around for both of these guys to be effective long term so there would be no point adding a 3rd high draft pick RB to that mix.   We have bigger holes to fill than a RB. 

    I only said RB because the other poster said even if Jim Brown was there.  No, I don't think we will draft a RB mostly because none are better than what we have.  If Jim Brown was there, you'd be stupid to not take him.  Trade the others.

    My point is I would love a DT.  I think we need defensive players and want us to draft several, but if Metcalf is the best guy on the board, take him.  I'll leave that up to Dorsey to decide.

    At no point do we not need great players.

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #22

    RB Football drafts for the old timers.(trade Jim Brown?).#1) The Houston Oilers once sat in our draft position back in 1978..The Oilers traded from #17 to #1 for Earl Campbell..Cost to Buccaneers? #17-Doug Williams. #44-Brett Moritz. a 1979 3rd(Reggie Lewis) & 1979 5th(Chuck Fusina)..#2) In 1977 the Cowboys traded up from #14 to #2 to choose? Tony Dorsett..Seahawks received #14 & 3 2nd rounders #30,41 & 54..#3) In 1999, the Saints trade up from #12 to #5 to grab?..Ricky Williams..The Skins received a 2000 1st & 3rd, 1999 picks 71,107,144,179 & 218(3rd thru 7th) man, that had to hurt