Skip to content

What about (backup) QB?

The Browns Board
43 14 1.3k
  • Throughout all the glitz of this wonderful offseason, a circle I'm continuing to draw is who our back-up QB may be. I'm knocking on every piece of wood imaginable typing, but we need a viable back-up if Baker needs to miss any time. This offense is going to insanely talented, so a back-up could be a vital cog if we need him for any length of time.

    Tyrod is going to want of Cleveland, and it seems Miami is strongly interested in him as a bridge guy. I'd argue he's without a doubt the best FA vet out there in the QB market, but I think he gets pryed away. I'm not crazy on the idea of having a rookie behind Mayfield either, so what does that leave? Curious what you all think.

  • What does everyone think we can get for Tyrod besides cleaning up some more Cap space?

    Might we replace at least our 3rd rounder we gave to the Giants?

     

  • I don't feel bad with Stanton should he have to step in for a game here or there with a rook or the kid from last season on the PS.

  • I think we will let the dust settle on the QB bonanza and then choose a backup, no rush as Stanton can hold the job.

    I'm hearing Tyrod may be a bridge QB in Miami.

    Zombo

  • A bridge to nowhere?

  • I don't feel bad with Stanton should he have to step in for a game here or there with a rook or the kid from last season on the PS.

    @tour2ma said:

    I don't feel bad with Stanton should he have to step in for a game here or there with a rook or the kid from last season on the PS.

    Have to admit, on the contrary Stanton doesn't cut it for me. It's obvious he did a lot for Baker's development, but as the #2? Not so sure

    Zombo said:

    I think we will let the dust settle on the QB bonanza and then choose a backup, no rush as Stanton can hold the job.

    I'm hearing Tyrod may be a bridge QB in Miami.

    Zombo

    Yeah, can't blame Tyrod for trying to get another crack at QB #1. He's the best back-up candidate out there right now, but someone's going to throw decent money at him as a result. Agree though, I hope when the dust settles Fitzpatrick is still around. Still clearly has gas in the tank as a 2-3 game if needed guy, but may come at too high of a cost.

  • A bridge to nowhere?

    @tour2ma said:

    A bridge to nowhere?

    Good point, they are in a tough spot at #13, aren't they? Maybe they have a QB prospect they like.

    Zombo

  • What does everyone think we can get for Tyrod besides cleaning up some more Cap space?

    Might we replace at least our 3rd rounder we gave to the Giants?

     

    @bobpound said:

    What does everyone think we can get for Tyrod besides cleaning up some more Cap space?

    Might we replace at least our 3rd rounder we gave to the Giants?

     

    He's an unrestricted FA, which means we'd have to do a sign and trade which teams wouldn't go for unless I'm sorely mistaken.

  • What does everyone think we can get for Tyrod besides cleaning up some more Cap space?

    Might we replace at least our 3rd rounder we gave to the Giants?

     

    @bobpound said:

    What does everyone think we can get for Tyrod besides cleaning up some more Cap space?

    Might we replace at least our 3rd rounder we gave to the Giants?

     

    Tyrod is a free agent, so we will get nothing.

  • A bridge to nowhere?

    @tour2ma said:

    A bridge to nowhere?

    Wouldn't be surprised if the Dolphins try to trade up for Haskins to beat the Giants to the punch there.

    Barring that, at #13, maybe they will be looking at like Drew Lock or others.

  • I'm more concerned about the FG kicker than the backup QB.

  • I'm more concerned about the FG kicker than the backup QB.

    @canton-dawg said:

    I'm more concerned about the FG kicker than the backup QB.

    I think we made a major upgrade at Special Teams Coach ... So I sleep better knowing we are not going into the season with a clowncar at kicker like 2018.

    Zombo

  • I'm more concerned about the FG kicker than the backup QB.

    @canton-dawg said:

    I'm more concerned about the FG kicker than the backup QB.

    A game, even a half of a football game where a back-up needs to play to potentially win isn't something to scoff at in the NFL. Being concerned about the primary back-up at the most important position on the field isn't something to gloss over. 

  • @tour2ma said:

    A bridge to nowhere?

    Wouldn't be surprised if the Dolphins try to trade up for Haskins to beat the Giants to the punch there.

    Barring that, at #13, maybe they will be looking at like Drew Lock or others.

    @the-gipper said:

    Wouldn't be surprised if the Dolphins try to trade up for Haskins to beat the Giants to the punch there.

    I wouldn’t the surprised if the Giants traded up to get Haskins, in order to prevent another QB needy team from doing so

  • @the-gipper said:

    Wouldn't be surprised if the Dolphins try to trade up for Haskins to beat the Giants to the punch there.

    I wouldn’t the surprised if the Giants traded up to get Haskins, in order to prevent another QB needy team from doing so

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    I wouldn’t the surprised if the Giants traded up to get Haskins, in order to prevent another QB needy team from doing so

    NYG brass was all at Kyler Murray's Pro-Day workout today. And it's been reported that they are all going to dinner tonite together.

  • @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    I wouldn’t the surprised if the Giants traded up to get Haskins, in order to prevent another QB needy team from doing so

    NYG brass was all at Kyler Murray's Pro-Day workout today. And it's been reported that they are all going to dinner tonite together.

    @tour2ma said:

    NYG brass was all at Kyler Murray's Pro-Day workout today. And it's been reported that they are all going to dinner tonite together.

    Do you think Murray won’t be taken #1 overall? 

  • @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    I wouldn’t the surprised if the Giants traded up to get Haskins, in order to prevent another QB needy team from doing so

    NYG brass was all at Kyler Murray's Pro-Day workout today. And it's been reported that they are all going to dinner tonite together.

    @tour2ma said:

    NYG brass was all at Kyler Murray's Pro-Day workout today. And it's been reported that they are all going to dinner tonite together.

    Was Sam Wyche attending as well? 🙂

  • @the-gipper said:

    Wouldn't be surprised if the Dolphins try to trade up for Haskins to beat the Giants to the punch there.

    I wouldn’t the surprised if the Giants traded up to get Haskins, in order to prevent another QB needy team from doing so

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    I wouldn’t the surprised if the Giants traded up to get Haskins, in order to prevent another QB needy team from doing so

    Yep, that too!

  • @tour2ma said:

    NYG brass was all at Kyler Murray's Pro-Day workout today. And it's been reported that they are all going to dinner tonite together.

    Do you think Murray won’t be taken #1 overall? 

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    Do you think Murray won’t be taken #1 overall? 

    All we can say is that if the Cardinals want him, he is theirs for the taking.   Kliff Kingsbury, a college coach wants to run a college offense, why should they deny him if they were going to hire him.

    IF they don't take him.....then who would?  would the Giants want him to run their offense?  Does not seem a fit.  

    Miami or Washington move up?

  • @tour2ma said:

    NYG brass was all at Kyler Murray's Pro-Day workout today. And it's been reported that they are all going to dinner tonite together.

    Do you think Murray won’t be taken #1 overall? 

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    Do you think Murray won’t be taken #1 overall? 

    In one way or the other, I think he will go no later than #3 and be the first QB taken. He's apparently looked strong today at his pro day (although he didn't run the 40 or get remeasured). The hype train is going to come off the rails the next month or so and someone will trade up OR Cardinals take him #1.