Baker Mayfield bats left handed
-
Ha- you know I had to look this one up. there's even a lefthander's day- August 13th.
Some of the all time most famous and greatest personages in history were left handed- even I was surprised. And as I pointed out earlier- add Rafael Nadal and Jack Nicklaus to the sporting list. & in music, how could I have missed Paul McCartney?
But the most famous of all was not really left handed. Billy the Kid a.k.a. the Left Handed Gun, was really right handed. That famous photo was a ferrotype which was reversed from true life.
Unretouched original ferrotype of Bonney, c. 1880Billy the Kid
Enhanced photo of Billy the Kid, c. 1880But the most famous of all was not really left handed. Billy the Kid a.k.a. the Left Handed Gun, was really right handed. That famous photo was a ferrotype which was reversed from true life.
Unretouched original ferrotype of Bonney, c. 1880Since you want to bring up guns- I'm probably right eye dominant- I shoot a long gun right handed. I just found it easier to hold the gun steady with my stronger hand. Add in, without a left handed shotgun, you're seeing spent ammo flying across your face with a semi-auto if you try and shoot left handed. More trivia for those who don't realize it- besides the vast majority of people having a dominant hand (there are a few, very few truly ambidextrous people) you also have a dominant eye.
PS- thanks to those Ursuline Sisters back in grade school if I ever lost the use of my left hand- I can write semi-legibly with my right, but it's a real struggle.
-
But the most famous of all was not really left handed. Billy the Kid a.k.a. the Left Handed Gun, was really right handed. That famous photo was a ferrotype which was reversed from true life.
Unretouched original ferrotype of Bonney, c. 1880Since you want to bring up guns- I'm probably right eye dominant- I shoot a long gun right handed. I just found it easier to hold the gun steady with my stronger hand. Add in, without a left handed shotgun, you're seeing spent ammo flying across your face with a semi-auto if you try and shoot left handed. More trivia for those who don't realize it- besides the vast majority of people having a dominant hand (there are a few, very few truly ambidextrous people) you also have a dominant eye.
PS- thanks to those Ursuline Sisters back in grade school if I ever lost the use of my left hand- I can write semi-legibly with my right, but it's a real struggle.
Since you want to bring up guns- I'm probably right eye dominant- I shoot a long gun right handed. I just found it easier to hold the gun steady with my stronger hand. Add in, without a left handed shotgun, you're seeing spent ammo flying across your face with a semi-auto if you try and shoot left handed. More trivia for those who don't realize it- besides the vast majority of people having a dominant hand (there are a few, very few truly ambidextrous people) you also have a dominant eye.
PS- thanks to those Ursuline Sisters back in grade school if I ever lost the use of my left hand- I can write semi-legibly with my right, but it's a real struggle.
However the truly best ambidextrous pro sports players have to be soccer players. They handle that ball equally well with either leg/foot. It's years and years of practice starting as very small kids. I first encountered it in Venezuela where it is one of the two national sports (baseball being the other). Even though I was a decent athlete, I was never up to the level of the best Venezuelan soccer players I encountered. They just had too many more years of daily practice than I did. Now baseball I could match. But not soccer. I sometimes watched in awe as they dribbled right through us. Fortunately we had a few Venezuelan players in our school that kept our loses reasonable and our few wins cause for major celebration.
-
That’s all l got. Just thought it was interesting.
Have your dominant hand leading...
When we got OT regarding tennis players, several great lefties... McEnroe, and Nadal. As a leftie myself, that's the first thing I notice when another person picks up a pen... In one handed sports (tennis bowling), I'm left handed all the way. In golf, it doesn't matter so much. Before I gave up the incredibly frustrating game, I golf right. Yeah, I tried a set of left handed clubs for kicks and giggles.
My all-time favorite, and trivia- one of the all- time greats golfs right, and is left handed- Jack Nicklaus. Nickers will know in music the famous lefties are\were Hendrix and Cobain. (Yeah I play guitar left handed, and not very well either)
I still don't understand, and there's no logical reason why a person would favor one hand over the other, but I believe it's about 70-80% of people are right handed. (in my family of eight, where our parents made no big deal out of it, it's R6, L2) go figure.
Have your dominant hand leading...
When we got OT regarding tennis players, several great lefties... McEnroe, and Nadal. As a leftie myself, that's the first thing I notice when another person picks up a pen... In one handed sports (tennis bowling), I'm left handed all the way. In golf, it doesn't matter so much. Before I gave up the incredibly frustrating game, I golf right. Yeah, I tried a set of left handed clubs for kicks and giggles.
My all-time favorite, and trivia- one of the all- time greats golfs right, and is left handed- Jack Nicklaus. Nickers will know in music the famous lefties are\were Hendrix and Cobain. (Yeah I play guitar left handed, and not very well either)
I still don't understand, and there's no logical reason why a person would favor one hand over the other, but I believe it's about 70-80% of people are right handed. (in my family of eight, where our parents made no big deal out of it, it's R6, L2) go figure.
Rafael Nadal is right handed but was forced by his uncle to play left handed in his childhood. I don't know if it was forced or something like 'if you can play with both, play with left.' He does everything else with his right hand I believe.
-
-
Opps!! Baker hangs one a bit outside.. https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/2019/03/16/baker-mayfield-browns-brewers-spring-training/3185730002/
-
Since you want to bring up guns- I'm probably right eye dominant- I shoot a long gun right handed. I just found it easier to hold the gun steady with my stronger hand. Add in, without a left handed shotgun, you're seeing spent ammo flying across your face with a semi-auto if you try and shoot left handed. More trivia for those who don't realize it- besides the vast majority of people having a dominant hand (there are a few, very few truly ambidextrous people) you also have a dominant eye.
PS- thanks to those Ursuline Sisters back in grade school if I ever lost the use of my left hand- I can write semi-legibly with my right, but it's a real struggle.
However the truly best ambidextrous pro sports players have to be soccer players. They handle that ball equally well with either leg/foot. It's years and years of practice starting as very small kids. I first encountered it in Venezuela where it is one of the two national sports (baseball being the other). Even though I was a decent athlete, I was never up to the level of the best Venezuelan soccer players I encountered. They just had too many more years of daily practice than I did. Now baseball I could match. But not soccer. I sometimes watched in awe as they dribbled right through us. Fortunately we had a few Venezuelan players in our school that kept our loses reasonable and our few wins cause for major celebration.
However the truly best ambidextrous pro sports players have to be soccer players. They handle that ball equally well with either leg/foot. It's years and years of practice starting as very small kids. I first encountered it in Venezuela where it is one of the two national sports (baseball being the other). Even though I was a decent athlete, I was never up to the level of the best Venezuelan soccer players I encountered. They just had too many more years of daily practice than I did. Now baseball I could match. But not soccer. I sometimes watched in awe as they dribbled right through us. Fortunately we had a few Venezuelan players in our school that kept our loses reasonable and our few wins cause for major celebration.
I can kick ass with both legs.
-
Have your dominant hand leading...
When we got OT regarding tennis players, several great lefties... McEnroe, and Nadal. As a leftie myself, that's the first thing I notice when another person picks up a pen... In one handed sports (tennis bowling), I'm left handed all the way. In golf, it doesn't matter so much. Before I gave up the incredibly frustrating game, I golf right. Yeah, I tried a set of left handed clubs for kicks and giggles.
My all-time favorite, and trivia- one of the all- time greats golfs right, and is left handed- Jack Nicklaus. Nickers will know in music the famous lefties are\were Hendrix and Cobain. (Yeah I play guitar left handed, and not very well either)
I still don't understand, and there's no logical reason why a person would favor one hand over the other, but I believe it's about 70-80% of people are right handed. (in my family of eight, where our parents made no big deal out of it, it's R6, L2) go figure.
Rafael Nadal is right handed but was forced by his uncle to play left handed in his childhood. I don't know if it was forced or something like 'if you can play with both, play with left.' He does everything else with his right hand I believe.
Rafael Nadal is right handed but was forced by his uncle to play left handed in his childhood. I don't know if it was forced or something like 'if you can play with both, play with left.' He does everything else with his right hand I believe.
Didn't know that- and with the preponderance of guys using two handed backhands today probably not unusual. On lower level tennis, lots of guys have trouble with left handed players because of the reverse spin on serves. But my good friend and doubles partner- we were almost equal in ability- we practiced against each other so much- for him, it was pretty easy when he ran across a left handed player in a tournament.
-
However the truly best ambidextrous pro sports players have to be soccer players. They handle that ball equally well with either leg/foot. It's years and years of practice starting as very small kids. I first encountered it in Venezuela where it is one of the two national sports (baseball being the other). Even though I was a decent athlete, I was never up to the level of the best Venezuelan soccer players I encountered. They just had too many more years of daily practice than I did. Now baseball I could match. But not soccer. I sometimes watched in awe as they dribbled right through us. Fortunately we had a few Venezuelan players in our school that kept our loses reasonable and our few wins cause for major celebration.
I can kick ass with both legs.
I can kick ass with both legs.
Hmmmm, now that you're into legs- I was the designated punter in our street football games, and I punt with my right foot.
-
Want some real fun?
Try to pitch, from the stretch, with your off-hand.
Not only are you trying to throw with your wrong arm, but your whole mechanics get thrown off. You'll instinctively try to raise your wrong leg the first few times. ?
-
I can kick ass with both legs.
Hmmmm, now that you're into legs- I was the designated punter in our street football games, and I punt with my right foot.
-
Want some real fun?
Try to pitch, from the stretch, with your off-hand.
Not only are you trying to throw with your wrong arm, but your whole mechanics get thrown off. You'll instinctively try to raise your wrong leg the first few times. ?
You'll instinctively try to raise your wrong leg the first few times. ?
At my age I only raise my leg to pee...
Meanwhile... why was Baker effin' around with the Brewers instead of the Tribe?
-
You'll instinctively try to raise your wrong leg the first few times. ?
At my age I only raise my leg to pee...
Meanwhile... why was Baker effin' around with the Brewers instead of the Tribe?
-
You'll instinctively try to raise your wrong leg the first few times. ?
At my age I only raise my leg to pee...
Meanwhile... why was Baker effin' around with the Brewers instead of the Tribe?
-
As a climber, congrats Haloti, great way to go out...
-
Still salty the Browns didn't draft him.
-
Still salty the Browns didn't draft him.
Still salty the Browns didn't draft him.
But we got Kameron Wimbley!!!
-
Still salty the Browns didn't draft him.
But we got Kameron Wimbley!!!
-
Still salty the Browns didn't draft him.
But we got Kameron Wimbley!!!
-
I saw Baker at the Tribe game Saturday. It’s great to see him hanging out and getting to know the city and it’s people. Looks like he’s in the process of adopting a city. I’m sure the people of Cleveland will show their appreciation at that.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login