Rank Em
-
you miss the point. Grading Baker on accomplishments is bogus, since he was a rookie last year.Of COURSE Brady etc are more ACCOMPLISHED. Russell had other glaring problems - learning the offense, his weight, work ethic, many more ints than TD's, he didn't see the field well in the pros. It's a different, huge step up in speed and complexity.
Russell was one of the biggest busts. The POINT IS, actual SKILLS needed to be effective in the pros, not how many superbowls, etc they've accomplished over the years. Baker was just a rookie.
Baker Mayfield rocked the NFL - his skills really showed. It doesn't mean he doesn't have them because he didn't go to a superbowl.
Sure, his skills will be advanced with experience, but he had skills at Oklahoma that several NFL qb's never will have.
-
you miss the point. Grading Baker on accomplishments is bogus, since he was a rookie last year.Of COURSE Brady etc are more ACCOMPLISHED. Russell had other glaring problems - learning the offense, his weight, work ethic, many more ints than TD's, he didn't see the field well in the pros. It's a different, huge step up in speed and complexity.
Russell was one of the biggest busts. The POINT IS, actual SKILLS needed to be effective in the pros, not how many superbowls, etc they've accomplished over the years. Baker was just a rookie.
Baker Mayfield rocked the NFL - his skills really showed. It doesn't mean he doesn't have them because he didn't go to a superbowl.
Sure, his skills will be advanced with experience, but he had skills at Oklahoma that several NFL qb's never will have.
you miss the point. Grading Baker on accomplishments is bogus, since he was a rookie last year.Of COURSE Brady etc are more ACCOMPLISHED. Russell had other glaring problems - learning the offense, his weight, work ethic, many more ints than TD's, he didn't see the field well in the pros. It's a different, huge step up in speed and complexity.
Russell was one of the biggest busts. The POINT IS, actual SKILLS needed to be effective in the pros, not how many superbowls, etc they've accomplished over the years. Baker was just a rookie.
Baker Mayfield rocked the NFL - his skills really showed. It doesn't mean he doesn't have them because he didn't go to a superbowl.
Sure, his skills will be advanced with experience, but he had skills at Oklahoma that several NFL qb's never will have.
OK, I probably did miss the point because I took your post out of the context in which you meant it. My point remains valid...just in another context.
Certainly you cannot compare the production/accomplishments of Baker vs. these others who have been in the league for 15 years, Brady/BR/Brees/ etc.
-
Before we get ahead of ourselves, just keep a few things in mind.
1. Baker did have a good rookie season, but just like other guys there is tape on him now. And while certainly impressive, part of the reason that he set the new record is how the game has evolved. And using a rookie season and awards and success to predict future doesnt always work out. There was ALOT of optimism in Washington for RG3. What do these guys have in common, RG3, Teddy Twatwater, Sam Bradford, Vince Young? They have all won ROY awards. Dont misunderstand me, I DON'T THINK THAT WILL BE BAKER, but I do believe that the fans for those teams probably had similar hope as we as Browns fans do.
As far as comparing with Derek Anderson. Most of what was said above could be said about Cam Newton (he is mobile, I dont think he sees the field great, he certainly has a big arm with inconsistent accuracy, I don't know about his intelligence, and I wouldn't call him a great leader.) The point is that he would at least be somewhat compared to that profile of DA, and he has been an MVP and in Super Bowl
-
Before we get ahead of ourselves, just keep a few things in mind.
1. Baker did have a good rookie season, but just like other guys there is tape on him now. And while certainly impressive, part of the reason that he set the new record is how the game has evolved. And using a rookie season and awards and success to predict future doesnt always work out. There was ALOT of optimism in Washington for RG3. What do these guys have in common, RG3, Teddy Twatwater, Sam Bradford, Vince Young? They have all won ROY awards. Dont misunderstand me, I DON'T THINK THAT WILL BE BAKER, but I do believe that the fans for those teams probably had similar hope as we as Browns fans do.
As far as comparing with Derek Anderson. Most of what was said above could be said about Cam Newton (he is mobile, I dont think he sees the field great, he certainly has a big arm with inconsistent accuracy, I don't know about his intelligence, and I wouldn't call him a great leader.) The point is that he would at least be somewhat compared to that profile of DA, and he has been an MVP and in Super Bowl
Before we get ahead of ourselves, just keep a few things in mind.
1. Baker did have a good rookie season, but just like other guys there is tape on him now. And while certainly impressive, part of the reason that he set the new record is how the game has evolved. And using a rookie season and awards and success to predict future doesnt always work out. There was ALOT of optimism in Washington for RG3. What do these guys have in common, RG3, Teddy Twatwater, Sam Bradford, Vince Young? They have all won ROY awards. Dont misunderstand me, I DON'T THINK THAT WILL BE BAKER, but I do believe that the fans for those teams probably had similar hope as we as Browns fans do.
As far as comparing with Derek Anderson. Most of what was said above could be said about Cam Newton (he is mobile, I dont think he sees the field great, he certainly has a big arm with inconsistent accuracy, I don't know about his intelligence, and I wouldn't call him a great leader.) The point is that he would at least be somewhat compared to that profile of DA, and he has been an MVP and in Super Bowl
good post, but may I add, Cam ran a 4.56 forty, liked to run. Bigfoot Anderson ran about a 5.03 at best, sometimes 5.23 and didn't run very often - but did scramble big catching defenses off guard.
whatever. but Anderson and Cam weren't all that different - good point..
-
Before we get ahead of ourselves, just keep a few things in mind.
1. Baker did have a good rookie season, but just like other guys there is tape on him now. And while certainly impressive, part of the reason that he set the new record is how the game has evolved. And using a rookie season and awards and success to predict future doesnt always work out. There was ALOT of optimism in Washington for RG3. What do these guys have in common, RG3, Teddy Twatwater, Sam Bradford, Vince Young? They have all won ROY awards. Dont misunderstand me, I DON'T THINK THAT WILL BE BAKER, but I do believe that the fans for those teams probably had similar hope as we as Browns fans do.
As far as comparing with Derek Anderson. Most of what was said above could be said about Cam Newton (he is mobile, I dont think he sees the field great, he certainly has a big arm with inconsistent accuracy, I don't know about his intelligence, and I wouldn't call him a great leader.) The point is that he would at least be somewhat compared to that profile of DA, and he has been an MVP and in Super Bowl
good post, but may I add, Cam ran a 4.56 forty, liked to run. Bigfoot Anderson ran about a 5.03 at best, sometimes 5.23 and didn't run very often - but did scramble big catching defenses off guard.
whatever. but Anderson and Cam weren't all that different - good point..
good post, but may I add, Cam ran a 4.56 forty, liked to run. Bigfoot Anderson ran about a 5.03 at best, sometimes 5.23 and didn't run very often - but did scramble big catching defenses off guard.
whatever. but Anderson and Cam weren't all that different - good point..
A lot of QBs can catch a defense off guard, but Cam is mobile. That is a big part of his game.
The point I was trying to make is that DA lit it up like hoorta said. A lot were excited for his future. Then he regressed. And you said you saw these things with him, and all are true. But they also could describe Cam, and he is a franchise QB. He just has more talent.
The basic point is to pump the brakes a bit on BM. I expect him to continue to progress, but there are many examples of amazing starts who then faded into oblivion. There is also a scale of happy medium between the incredible start and being on a HOF incline and fizzling out of the league. By scale I mean still being a good starting QB to quality backup. For an example, Jeremy Lin.
From what I have seen, BM is going to be a Top 5 QB in the future, so the future is bright, I just wouldn't anoint him there at the moment
-
I agree. It's just, the makeup of the Browns now, even before the draft, I'm trying to not go overboard with my enthusiam, but after not being too sure about Baker before the draft - he's won most folks over. Well, trying to not go overbo...
dammit.
SUPERBOWL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-
I agree. It's just, the makeup of the Browns now, even before the draft, I'm trying to not go overboard with my enthusiam, but after not being too sure about Baker before the draft - he's won most folks over. Well, trying to not go overbo...
dammit.
SUPERBOWL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree. It's just, the makeup of the Browns now, even before the draft, I'm trying to not go overboard with my enthusiam, but after not being too sure about Baker before the draft - he's won most folks over. Well, trying to not go overbo...
dammit.
SUPERBOWL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whenever I think of you Cal from here on out, this will be the image that comes to mind.
Pretty fucking funny!!
-
I agree. It's just, the makeup of the Browns now, even before the draft, I'm trying to not go overboard with my enthusiam, but after not being too sure about Baker before the draft - he's won most folks over. Well, trying to not go overbo...
dammit.
SUPERBOWL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree. It's just, the makeup of the Browns now, even before the draft, I'm trying to not go overboard with my enthusiam, but after not being too sure about Baker before the draft - he's won most folks over. Well, trying to not go overbo...
dammit.
SUPERBOWL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think most agree with the expectations (not the Super Bowl part), but to me I will temper mine.
I have seen too many times within my coaching, with other sports, and on this board premature inflated expectations. Maybe not unanimously, but just remember the great excitement over Hue, Josh Gordon, Danny Shelton, heck even Hoyer and JM.
-
Factoring in past performance and my expectations for this season along with supporting team. Also ranked only players in OP post, there are notable omissions Pig Pen, L Bell . I defend my ranking of Chubb as non homer with almost 1000 yards in 9 games started. OBJ has a per game performance only exceeded by Julio Jones in all of NFL history with a marginal QB the last few years.
QB AARON RODGERS 4 4 ANDREW LUCK 6 6 BAKER MAYFIELD 5 5 DESHAUN WATSON 8 9 DREW BREES 3 2 MATT RYAN 10 8 PAT MAHOMES 2 1 PHILIP RIVERS 9 7 RUSSELL WILSON 7 10 TOM BRADY 1 3 WR AJ GREEN 10 4 ANTONIO BROWN 4 2 DEANDRE HOPKINS 1 8 DEVANTE ADAMS 5 9 JULIO JONES 2 5 KEENAN ALLEN 7 10 MICHAEL THOMAS 6 3 MIKE EVANS 9 7 ODELL BECKHAM 3 1 TYREEK HILL 8 6 RB ALVIN KAMARA 3 3 CHRISTIAN MCCAFFREY 5 6 DAVID JOHNSON 10 9 EZEKIEL ELLIOTT 4 4 KAREEM HUNT 6 7 LEONARD FOURNETTE 9 10 MELVIN GORDON 8 8 NICK CHUBB 7 5 SAQUON BARKLEY 1 1 TODD GURLEY 2 2 -
long one but interesting. Click to page 3 where Baker lands if no patience.. top NFL team QB's on deep balls https://brickwallblitz.com/2019/02/22/the-2018-19-deep-ball-project-part-1-3/ 14 games played Baker..Well Done #6
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login