Solution to Tanking??
-
Well....it could be a solution, but certainly you are right.
Do you have an alternate solution to purposeful tanking?
I don't have a solution. There probably isn't one unless you go to a NBA lottery, and that wouldn't work.
I don't see tanking as that big of a problem in the NFL due to team size. In the NBA, with only 5 starters, only 1 guy makes a huge difference, so teams start tanking very early in the season.
The Browns just tanked a few seasons to gain cap space and high picks.
I don't have a solution. There probably isn't one unless you go to a NBA lottery, and that wouldn't work.
I don't see tanking as that big of a problem in the NFL due to team size. In the NBA, with only 5 starters, only 1 guy makes a huge difference, so teams start tanking very early in the season.
The Browns just tanked a few seasons to gain cap space and high picks.
Well, the one time that I think tanking does happen is when there seems to be one of these "generational QBs" possibly in the draft....like when Luck was coming up.
But you are right....that is a rare circumstance.
And you are right about it being more prevalent in the NBA.....we have 3 tankers now vying for the top spot for Zion.....including the Cavs. I hope they are successful.
-
One problem is that a team can lose it's QB in game one and then be total crap from that point on. Especially if they weren't a very good team to start with.
-
-
I don't think it's a problem in the NFL. We are the poster children for an NFL front office doing a scorched earth rebuild ala Astros/76ers at the NFL level, and it works a lot faster ... We blew up a 3-13 team, two years of suckitude til we found the QB, one year of promise and now the fanbase is crazed and waiting for opening kickoff and we're probably gonna have 5 primetime games.
Would I go through 1-31 again to be where we are now? Yes.
By the way, players don't tank. They don't want us to draft better players to take their jobs. But front offices do. And we had the perfect coach, because he was just clueless.
Zombo
--I think tanking is most painful in the NBA. I still want to watch a young football team or young baseball team develop young talent, but watching an NBA team spiral and hope for a ping pong ball isn't very sporting.
-
I don't think it's a problem in the NFL. We are the poster children for an NFL front office doing a scorched earth rebuild ala Astros/76ers at the NFL level, and it works a lot faster ... We blew up a 3-13 team, two years of suckitude til we found the QB, one year of promise and now the fanbase is crazed and waiting for opening kickoff and we're probably gonna have 5 primetime games.
Would I go through 1-31 again to be where we are now? Yes.
By the way, players don't tank. They don't want us to draft better players to take their jobs. But front offices do. And we had the perfect coach, because he was just clueless.
Zombo
--I think tanking is most painful in the NBA. I still want to watch a young football team or young baseball team develop young talent, but watching an NBA team spiral and hope for a ping pong ball isn't very sporting.
Zombo said:
I don't think it's a problem in the NFL. We are the poster children for an NFL front office doing a scorched earth rebuild ala Astros/76ers at the NFL level, and it works a lot faster ... We blew up a 3-13 team, two years of suckitude til we found the QB, one year of promise and now the fanbase is crazed and waiting for opening kickoff and we're probably gonna have 5 primetime games.
Would I go through 1-31 again to be where we are now? Yes.
By the way, players don't tank. They don't want us to draft better players to take their jobs. But front offices do. And we had the perfect coach, because he was just clueless.
Zombo
--I think tanking is most painful in the NBA. I still want to watch a young football team or young baseball team develop young talent, but watching an NBA team spiral and hope for a ping pong ball isn't very sporting.
He didn't have a clhue
-
I don't think it's a problem in the NFL. We are the poster children for an NFL front office doing a scorched earth rebuild ala Astros/76ers at the NFL level, and it works a lot faster ... We blew up a 3-13 team, two years of suckitude til we found the QB, one year of promise and now the fanbase is crazed and waiting for opening kickoff and we're probably gonna have 5 primetime games.
Would I go through 1-31 again to be where we are now? Yes.
By the way, players don't tank. They don't want us to draft better players to take their jobs. But front offices do. And we had the perfect coach, because he was just clueless.
Zombo
--I think tanking is most painful in the NBA. I still want to watch a young football team or young baseball team develop young talent, but watching an NBA team spiral and hope for a ping pong ball isn't very sporting.
-
One solution I've heard is that the NFL has a draft lottery. But rather than the worst team having the best chance at landing the #1 pick, maybe every team that doesn't make the playoffs has even odds? It would certainly ensure that no team would tank for the worst record.
-
-
I don't think it's a problem in the NFL. We are the poster children for an NFL front office doing a scorched earth rebuild ala Astros/76ers at the NFL level, and it works a lot faster ... We blew up a 3-13 team, two years of suckitude til we found the QB, one year of promise and now the fanbase is crazed and waiting for opening kickoff and we're probably gonna have 5 primetime games.
Would I go through 1-31 again to be where we are now? Yes.
By the way, players don't tank. They don't want us to draft better players to take their jobs. But front offices do. And we had the perfect coach, because he was just clueless.
Zombo
--I think tanking is most painful in the NBA. I still want to watch a young football team or young baseball team develop young talent, but watching an NBA team spiral and hope for a ping pong ball isn't very sporting.
Zombo said:
I don't think it's a problem in the NFL. We are the poster children for an NFL front office doing a scorched earth rebuild ala Astros/76ers at the NFL level, and it works a lot faster ... We blew up a 3-13 team, two years of suckitude til we found the QB, one year of promise and now the fanbase is crazed and waiting for opening kickoff and we're probably gonna have 5 primetime games.
Would I go through 1-31 again to be where we are now? Yes.
By the way, players don't tank. They don't want us to draft better players to take their jobs. But front offices do. And we had the perfect coach, because he was just clueless.
Zombo
--I think tanking is most painful in the NBA. I still want to watch a young football team or young baseball team develop young talent, but watching an NBA team spiral and hope for a ping pong ball isn't very sporting.
Well, we did go through 1-31 to get to where we are. But I wouldn't want to repeat the process, as I'm running out of "wait till next years"- fast. Way too many other teams haven't totally bottomed out, and then gone to the Super Bowl. And just going 0-16 isn't necessarily going to get you back to the top any faster either. Like the Browns, the once upon a time 0-16 Lions are still waiting for their first trip to the Big Game too.
-
Zombo said:
I don't think it's a problem in the NFL. We are the poster children for an NFL front office doing a scorched earth rebuild ala Astros/76ers at the NFL level, and it works a lot faster ... We blew up a 3-13 team, two years of suckitude til we found the QB, one year of promise and now the fanbase is crazed and waiting for opening kickoff and we're probably gonna have 5 primetime games.
Would I go through 1-31 again to be where we are now? Yes.
By the way, players don't tank. They don't want us to draft better players to take their jobs. But front offices do. And we had the perfect coach, because he was just clueless.
Zombo
--I think tanking is most painful in the NBA. I still want to watch a young football team or young baseball team develop young talent, but watching an NBA team spiral and hope for a ping pong ball isn't very sporting.
Well, we did go through 1-31 to get to where we are. But I wouldn't want to repeat the process, as I'm running out of "wait till next years"- fast. Way too many other teams haven't totally bottomed out, and then gone to the Super Bowl. And just going 0-16 isn't necessarily going to get you back to the top any faster either. Like the Browns, the once upon a time 0-16 Lions are still waiting for their first trip to the Big Game too.
Well, we did go through 1-31 to get to where we are. But I wouldn't want to repeat the process, as I'm running out of "wait till next years"- fast. Way too many other teams haven't totally bottomed out, and then gone to the Super Bowl. And just going 0-16 isn't necessarily going to get you back to the top any faster either. Like the Browns, the once upon a time 0-16 Lions are still waiting for their first trip to the Big Game too.
The Cowboys went from 1-15 to Super Bowl champs in like 2 years, no?
In checking it was like this:
1989 1-15...............2017....0-16
1990 7-9..................2018...7-8-1
1991 11-5 lost in 2 round......2019....?????
1992 13-3 Won SB.......2020....Super Bowl!!!!
1993 12-4 Won SB.....2021....Super Bowl!!!!!
1994 12-4 Lost NFC title game......2022.Oops, tripped up[
1995 12-4 Won SB..........2023 Super Bowl!!!
I would take a run like that


-
Worst team doesn't get a 1st round pick, but gets an extra 3rd 4th and 5th... Make sure they aren't tanking just to get the prize college player that next year.. But not punish them for needed talent in the deeper rounds.
-
Well, we did go through 1-31 to get to where we are. But I wouldn't want to repeat the process, as I'm running out of "wait till next years"- fast. Way too many other teams haven't totally bottomed out, and then gone to the Super Bowl. And just going 0-16 isn't necessarily going to get you back to the top any faster either. Like the Browns, the once upon a time 0-16 Lions are still waiting for their first trip to the Big Game too.
The Cowboys went from 1-15 to Super Bowl champs in like 2 years, no?
In checking it was like this:
1989 1-15...............2017....0-16
1990 7-9..................2018...7-8-1
1991 11-5 lost in 2 round......2019....?????
1992 13-3 Won SB.......2020....Super Bowl!!!!
1993 12-4 Won SB.....2021....Super Bowl!!!!!
1994 12-4 Lost NFC title game......2022.Oops, tripped up[
1995 12-4 Won SB..........2023 Super Bowl!!!
I would take a run like that


The Cowboys went from 1-15 to Super Bowl champs in like 2 years, no?
In checking it was like this:
1989 1-15...............2017....0-16
1990 7-9..................2018...7-8-1
1991 11-5 lost in 2 round......2019....?????
1992 13-3 Won SB.......2020....Super Bowl!!!!
1993 12-4 Won SB.....2021....Super Bowl!!!!!
1994 12-4 Lost NFC title game......2022.Oops, tripped up[
1995 12-4 Won SB..........2023 Super Bowl!!!
I would take a run like that


Do we get extra credit and go up twice as fast for tanking 1-15 and 0-16 back to back??
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login