Skip to content

My First Cruise

Barber Shop Talk
59 8 2.3k
  • @the-gipper said:

    I've been there

    I don't know how well St. John has recovered from the hurricane yet, but if you ever stay there be sure to find your way to Waterlemon Cay.

    It's a little bit of a hike from roads and a swim out to the Cay, but the snorkeling makes it well worth it.

    My other favorite snorkeling place is Anini Beach Kauai. A lot of humahmuanukunukuapua'a fish there. It's a trigger fish.

    Humuhumunukunukuapua`a fish in Hawaii

    Of course my all time favorite was a half moon island beach with pure white coral sand and best fish for snorkeling in the world. But alas it is in Morrocoy National Park in Venezuela which I would never advise any American to venture to at this point in it's history.

    https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147411-d148000-Reviews-Waterlemon_Cay-Virgin_Islands_National_Park_St_John_U_S_Virgin_Islands.html

    https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g29218-d207416-Reviews-Anini_Beach-Kauai_Hawaii.html

    @texasag1969 said:

    I don't know how well St. John has recovered from the hurricane yet, but if you ever stay there be sure to find your way to Waterlemon Cay.

    It's a little bit of a hike from roads and a swim out to the Cay, but the snorkeling makes it well worth it.

    My other favorite snorkeling place is Anini Beach Kauai. A lot of humahmuanukunukuapua'a fish there. It's a trigger fish.

    Humuhumunukunukuapua`a fish in Hawaii

    Of course my all time favorite was a half moon island beach with pure white coral sand and best fish for snorkeling in the world. But alas it is in Morrocoy National Park in Venezuela which I would never advise any American to venture to at this point in it's history.

    https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147411-d148000-Reviews-Waterlemon_Cay-Virgin_Islands_National_Park_St_John_U_S_Virgin_Islands.html

    https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g29218-d207416-Reviews-Anini_Beach-Kauai_Hawaii.html

    Give  them Vens some freedom fries and budweiser and  the y will  be good to go.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I don't know how well St. John has recovered from the hurricane yet, but if you ever stay there be sure to find your way to Waterlemon Cay.

    It's a little bit of a hike from roads and a swim out to the Cay, but the snorkeling makes it well worth it.

    My other favorite snorkeling place is Anini Beach Kauai. A lot of humahmuanukunukuapua'a fish there. It's a trigger fish.

    Humuhumunukunukuapua`a fish in Hawaii

    Of course my all time favorite was a half moon island beach with pure white coral sand and best fish for snorkeling in the world. But alas it is in Morrocoy National Park in Venezuela which I would never advise any American to venture to at this point in it's history.

    https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147411-d148000-Reviews-Waterlemon_Cay-Virgin_Islands_National_Park_St_John_U_S_Virgin_Islands.html

    https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g29218-d207416-Reviews-Anini_Beach-Kauai_Hawaii.html

    Give  them Vens some freedom fries and budweiser and  the y will  be good to go.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Give  them Vens some freedom fries and budweiser and  the y will  be good to go.

    Their Cerveza Polar beats Bud. And they have something called Arepas made out of white corn meal with a bit of salt, an egg, milk and olive oil. Just fry 'em up and eat plain with butter or add anything you want like an arepa sandwich. I have a good friend in Dallas who married a Venezuelan and she makes the best authentic arepas around.

  • Do they serve those on a cruise ship? Being made of corn meal is not that enticing to me...but I would try one.

    In another post I talked about the countries I have been to...which are not that many:  USA, Mexico, Canada, England, France, Ireland.   Also territories of US and UK in the Caribbean.  We will be making a stop in Roatan...which is a part of Honduras.  That is not the next country that I would have expected to visit.

  • Do they serve those on a cruise ship? Being made of corn meal is not that enticing to me...but I would try one.

    In another post I talked about the countries I have been to...which are not that many:  USA, Mexico, Canada, England, France, Ireland.   Also territories of US and UK in the Caribbean.  We will be making a stop in Roatan...which is a part of Honduras.  That is not the next country that I would have expected to visit.

    @the-gipper said:

    Do they serve those on a cruise ship? Being made of corn meal is not that enticing to me...but I would try one.

    In another post I talked about the countries I have been to...which are not that many:  USA, Mexico, Canada, England, France, Ireland.   Also territories of US and UK in the Caribbean.  We will be making a stop in Roatan...which is a part of Honduras.  That is not the next country that I would have expected to visit.

    Never had one on a cruise ship, but if they do then make sure you eat it with real butter, not fake whatever. If you snorkel then the side trip to do so on Roatan is worth it. Some really nice tropical fish on that one.

    EDIT: Plus clear water.

  • one of my favorite memories is our group, well, eight of us, went snorkeling. It was breathtaking - crystal clear water all the way down, and to the left pretty far. The fish are amazing.  The guides on the boat - all of a sudden, hundreds of fish converged on us, bumping into us, and my Wife and the other Wives were screaming in surprise inside their masks, oh, you don't forget that.

    The guides tossed bread chunks and fish food etc around closest to the gals and the hundreds of fish converged. lol

    The gals laughed about it right afterwards. We had waterproof cameras and had pictures of us and our friends - those will always be favorites.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Do they serve those on a cruise ship? Being made of corn meal is not that enticing to me...but I would try one.

    In another post I talked about the countries I have been to...which are not that many:  USA, Mexico, Canada, England, France, Ireland.   Also territories of US and UK in the Caribbean.  We will be making a stop in Roatan...which is a part of Honduras.  That is not the next country that I would have expected to visit.

    Never had one on a cruise ship, but if they do then make sure you eat it with real butter, not fake whatever. If you snorkel then the side trip to do so on Roatan is worth it. Some really nice tropical fish on that one.

    EDIT: Plus clear water.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Never had one on a cruise ship, but if they do then make sure you eat it with real butter, not fake whatever. If you snorkel then the side trip to do so on Roatan is worth it. Some really nice tropical fish on that one.

    EDIT: Plus clear water.

    Here is the description of an excursion in Roatan that I am considering booking:

    Experience the ultimate thrill of a lifetime with your own underwater motor scooter. You'll board a 52-foot custom-built power catamaran for a cruise out to one of the most magnificent reefs in the world. Your B.O.S.S., the Breathing Observation Submersible Scooter, explores the aquatic world, and no scuba diving experience is necessary. You can also snorkel if you choose, or simply relax on the boat while sipping a drink and enjoying some snacks.
    Highlights:
    • >Scenic Cruise: Absorb beauty of the Caribbean on your cruise to magnificent reefs aboard the 52-foot custom-built power catamaran.
    • >Underwater Motor Scooter: Explore the aquatic world on your B.O.S.S., the Breathing Observation Submersible Scooter.
  • @texasag1969 said:

    Never had one on a cruise ship, but if they do then make sure you eat it with real butter, not fake whatever. If you snorkel then the side trip to do so on Roatan is worth it. Some really nice tropical fish on that one.

    EDIT: Plus clear water.

    Here is the description of an excursion in Roatan that I am considering booking:

    Experience the ultimate thrill of a lifetime with your own underwater motor scooter. You'll board a 52-foot custom-built power catamaran for a cruise out to one of the most magnificent reefs in the world. Your B.O.S.S., the Breathing Observation Submersible Scooter, explores the aquatic world, and no scuba diving experience is necessary. You can also snorkel if you choose, or simply relax on the boat while sipping a drink and enjoying some snacks.
    Highlights:
    • >Scenic Cruise: Absorb beauty of the Caribbean on your cruise to magnificent reefs aboard the 52-foot custom-built power catamaran.
    • >Underwater Motor Scooter: Explore the aquatic world on your B.O.S.S., the Breathing Observation Submersible Scooter.

    @the-gipper said:

    Here is the description of an excursion in Roatan that I am considering booking:

    Experience the ultimate thrill of a lifetime with your own underwater motor scooter. You'll board a 52-foot custom-built power catamaran for a cruise out to one of the most magnificent reefs in the world. Your B.O.S.S., the Breathing Observation Submersible Scooter, explores the aquatic world, and no scuba diving experience is necessary. You can also snorkel if you choose, or simply relax on the boat while sipping a drink and enjoying some snacks.
    Highlights:
    • >Scenic Cruise: Absorb beauty of the Caribbean on your cruise to magnificent reefs aboard the 52-foot custom-built power catamaran.
    • >Underwater Motor Scooter: Explore the aquatic world on your B.O.S.S., the Breathing Observation Submersible Scooter.

    I would take that in NY minute. There are some great reefs around that area just like there are near Belize. Stay away from those spiny little Lion fish.?

    https://nortonsafe.search.ask.com/search?chn=1000&cmpgn=&ctype=pictures&doi=2018-11-14&geo=en_US&guid=fb8a051f-0d65-11e0-9cec-1c7508772eaa&o=APN12179&p2=^EQ^fh00us^&page=1&prt=ngc&q=lion+fish+image&tpr=10&trackId=&ver=22.16.2.22

  • wow. I have to put that on our list of things to do!

    Never heard of those !

  • We've taken a number of cruises. The best was probably a Mediterranean cruise. Well, after the flight from Sarasota to Chicago to Frankfurt to Istanbul. They love it when you call it Constantinople 😉  After that nightmare of flights it was a blast!   Mykonos, Athens, Malta, Catania, Salerno, and Rome were the itinerary stops.... We stayed a few days in Rome and need to go back 🙂 This trip was during the World Cup so every bar on the ship was a home bar for a country in the Cup.. AND we had free beverages. 😉😉  😁

     Down in the Colosseum

    10477080_10152090015216511_7254955191181

  • AxeA Axe

    We've taken a number of cruises. The best was probably a Mediterranean cruise. Well, after the flight from Sarasota to Chicago to Frankfurt to Istanbul. They love it when you call it Constantinople 😉  After that nightmare of flights it was a blast!   Mykonos, Athens, Malta, Catania, Salerno, and Rome were the itinerary stops.... We stayed a few days in Rome and need to go back 🙂 This trip was during the World Cup so every bar on the ship was a home bar for a country in the Cup.. AND we had free beverages. 😉😉  😁

     Down in the Colosseum

    10477080_10152090015216511_7254955191181

    @axe said:

    We've taken a number of cruises. The best was probably a Mediterranean cruise. Well, after the flight from Sarasota to Chicago to Frankfurt to Istanbul. They love it when you call it Constantinople 😉  After that nightmare of flights it was a blast!   Mykonos, Athens, Malta, Catania, Salerno, and Rome were the itinerary stops.... We stayed a few days in Rome and need to go back 🙂 This trip was during the World Cup so every bar on the ship was a home bar for a country in the Cup.. AND we had free beverages. 😉😉  😁

     Down in the Colosseum

    Cruises for sure and trips in general I never regretted going on any of them.

    I have wondered later on a few I missed...... like Woodstock 1969, almost went.

  • We had a cruise that ended up in Barcelona and then drove to Paris thru Bordeaux. We have also had a driving trip through Belgium, France and then return and another two week tour by train after a week in Rome to Venice and then Florence and a driving/staying trip through Tuscany then back to Rome. Our last was all over Western Spain and back to Madrid where we started. That was great because language was never a barrier. The most surprising to see was the extent of the Roman ruins in Merida. I had no idea it was that extensive that far inland from the Mediterranean Sea.

    https://www.google.com/maps/place/06800+Mérida,+Badajoz,+Spain/@38.9235899,-6.3479539,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipNMfUJ51XGrGquz2C506iMBQoAxpafcAbtfjchs!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipNMfUJ51XGrGquz2C506iMBQoAxpafcAbtfjchs%3Dw205-h120-k-no!7i4304!8i2512!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0xd422997800a3c81:0xc436dec1618c2269!2sMadrid,+Spain!3b1!8m2!3d40.4167754!4d-3.7037902!3m4!1s0xd1426907b023fe7:0xfe5ac25ac22cadde!8m2!3d38.9193527!4d-6.3404846

  • I've heard you can get some great deals on Cruises to China and SE Asia right now. 

  • I've heard you can get some great deals on Cruises to China and SE Asia right now. 

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    I've heard you can get some great deals on Cruises to China and SE Asia right now. 

    Yeah you might get an extra 14 days with 3 meals a day for FREE.    

  • The wife and I came a whisker away from booking a China/Thailand trip not long ago.. Damn glad we didn't..😮

    Tex mentioned Roatan, I second that. Awesome place

  • We have selected a couple of our excursions:     On Cozumel we will be doing the Playa Mia "Beach Break" with my daughter and everyone.  Waterpark, snorkeling, eating, drinking.

    On Costa Maya we will be doing a Maya ruin tour.  Kohunlich I believe is the name of it.     Nothing decided about Roatan.  The underwater scooter thing is only a slim chance of being selected.  There are also some nature park tours which my son may consider. 

  • We have selected a couple of our excursions:     On Cozumel we will be doing the Playa Mia "Beach Break" with my daughter and everyone.  Waterpark, snorkeling, eating, drinking.

    On Costa Maya we will be doing a Maya ruin tour.  Kohunlich I believe is the name of it.     Nothing decided about Roatan.  The underwater scooter thing is only a slim chance of being selected.  There are also some nature park tours which my son may consider. 

    @the-gipper said:

    We have selected a couple of our excursions:     On Cozumel we will be doing the Playa Mia "Beach Break" with my daughter and everyone.  Waterpark, snorkeling, eating, drinking.

    On Costa Maya we will be doing a Maya ruin tour.  Kohunlich I believe is the name of it.     Nothing decided about Roatan.  The underwater scooter thing is only a slim chance of being selected.  There are also some nature park tours which my son may consider. 

    Recommend the Cozumel beach break.  The rum punch is outstanding, goes down easy and uhhh.... yeah.  You'll probably be blacked out if you don't know how to hold your liquor.

  • @the-gipper said:

    We have selected a couple of our excursions:     On Cozumel we will be doing the Playa Mia "Beach Break" with my daughter and everyone.  Waterpark, snorkeling, eating, drinking.

    On Costa Maya we will be doing a Maya ruin tour.  Kohunlich I believe is the name of it.     Nothing decided about Roatan.  The underwater scooter thing is only a slim chance of being selected.  There are also some nature park tours which my son may consider. 

    Recommend the Cozumel beach break.  The rum punch is outstanding, goes down easy and uhhh.... yeah.  You'll probably be blacked out if you don't know how to hold your liquor.

    @tiamat63 said:

    Recommend the Cozumel beach break.  The rum punch is outstanding, goes down easy and uhhh.... yeah.  You'll probably be blacked out if you don't know how to hold your liquor.

    Well...that is what we are doing.  That may be the only time I could get a bit tipsy because we have determined that we are NOT going to buy the drink package. 

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Recommend the Cozumel beach break.  The rum punch is outstanding, goes down easy and uhhh.... yeah.  You'll probably be blacked out if you don't know how to hold your liquor.

    Well...that is what we are doing.  That may be the only time I could get a bit tipsy because we have determined that we are NOT going to buy the drink package. 

    @the-gipper said:

    Well...that is what we are doing.  That may be the only time I could get a bit tipsy because we have determined that we are NOT going to buy the drink package. 

    If I remember right it's called the "yellowbird"...?  I think.   It's a boat, takes about an hour to get to the private island and then it's basically just a beach day.  Still a great time.  But from what little I remember, it was double fisting drinks the moment with got on the catamaran.

  • We have selected a couple of our excursions:     On Cozumel we will be doing the Playa Mia "Beach Break" with my daughter and everyone.  Waterpark, snorkeling, eating, drinking.

    On Costa Maya we will be doing a Maya ruin tour.  Kohunlich I believe is the name of it.     Nothing decided about Roatan.  The underwater scooter thing is only a slim chance of being selected.  There are also some nature park tours which my son may consider. 

    @the-gipper said:

    We have selected a couple of our excursions:     On Cozumel we will be doing the Playa Mia "Beach Break" with my daughter and everyone.  Waterpark, snorkeling, eating, drinking.

    On Costa Maya we will be doing a Maya ruin tour.  Kohunlich I believe is the name of it.     Nothing decided about Roatan.  The underwater scooter thing is only a slim chance of being selected.  There are also some nature park tours which my son may consider. 

    That's the way to do it book ahead.

    When my wife and her nurse friends did their turning 50 cruise a few years ago in the Western Caribbean where you are going I got the best excursion packages at the best time of day and prices.  You don't want to wait until you get there to try to pick through the leftover deals in the hottest parts of the day...... and it is HOT there.

    They left ft Lauderdale for key West, Cozumel, Belize and back to Ft Lauderdale.  My wife found a Walmart ad for about $499 + air which I did and her travel agent matched it for $899 total plus land excursions which I did.  But that was a decade ago.  They loved it.