Skip to content

Tiamat's 2019 training camp observations, thoughts, ramblings (who the hell knows at this point?)

The Browns Board
118 21 4.3k
  • @tiamat63 said:

    There really wasn't any action fielding or returning kicks.    Punts, yes.  And when they were back there it wasn't ideal.  I counted 2 fumbles.

    I'd also be interested in the kicking battle if there's anything interesting. I have a bit of a vested interest as Greg is a friend of a friend. Gut feeling though is that Seibert makes the squad, seems unlikely to draft a kicker that high without planning to have him on the 53.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #58

    @jrb12711 said:

    I'd also be interested in the kicking battle if there's anything interesting. I have a bit of a vested interest as Greg is a friend of a friend. Gut feeling though is that Seibert makes the squad, seems unlikely to draft a kicker that high without planning to have him on the 53.

    As Corbett has shown, being drafted by this FO doesn't mean playing.  Especially when there is another player that beats you out rather clearly.

    That said, I am looking forward to the kicking battle as well and I have faith Freddie and Co. will pick the right man.

  • LogicIsForSquaresL LogicIsForSquares wrote on last edited by
    #59

    Tia, thanks for the camp insights for the folks who can't make it up that way. It is greatly appreciated.

  • @jrb12711 said:

    I'd also be interested in the kicking battle if there's anything interesting. I have a bit of a vested interest as Greg is a friend of a friend. Gut feeling though is that Seibert makes the squad, seems unlikely to draft a kicker that high without planning to have him on the 53.

    As Corbett has shown, being drafted by this FO doesn't mean playing.  Especially when there is another player that beats you out rather clearly.

    That said, I am looking forward to the kicking battle as well and I have faith Freddie and Co. will pick the right man.

    jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #60

    @tiamat63 said:

    As Corbett has shown, being drafted by this FO doesn't mean playing.  Especially when there is another player that beats you out rather clearly.

    That said, I am looking forward to the kicking battle as well and I have faith Freddie and Co. will pick the right man.

    Me too. Early reports (for what they are worth) said Seibert is less than 50% in kicks and Greg hasn't missed. I thought Greg got much stronger as the year went on too.

  • Tia, thanks for the camp insights for the folks who can't make it up that way. It is greatly appreciated.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #61

    @logicisforsquares said:

    Tia, thanks for the camp insights for the folks who can't make it up that way. It is greatly appreciated.

    You know Tia luh da kids.

    I'll have a bit more for you guys Wednesday night.

  • @tour2ma said:

    LMAO!!! Did you put them in touch with MKC?

    Thanks for the OL feast.

    USA Today article is out "gushing" about Robinson's improved "tech". Based on the two clips in the article I have to ask, "What 'tech'?" and "Who are these writers?"

    https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/27/greg-robinsons-technical-progress-evident-in-browns-camp/

    • Kicks his left foot back at the snap, but does not no slide the right foot.
    • Every move after that is a hop!
    • Topside? Lotta grabbing... and not of the good, inside variety.

    Garrett is either a chump or wasn't trying... my $$$ is on the latter. Any DE worth his salt catches a hopping OT in mid-air and plants him on his ass.

    I feel like l watched both clips multiple times trying to see what you see, but not sure l do. I saw more of a gallop with his feet. Right left, right left, etc. In the first clip maybe l saw a point where both feet were in the air at the same time when Myles was pulling off spin move number two.

    In clip 2 l saw him lose his base when his right foot went down near his left foot, but he regained it with a push off with the right hand to Myles’ gut and got his right foot back in place.

    I’m not sure any of this equates to “better technique”, but l’ve always felt Robinson’s main bugaboo was a lack of tenacity. 

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #62

    @ibleedbrown said:

    I feel like l watched both clips multiple times trying to see what you see, but not sure l do. I saw more of a gallop with his feet. Right left, right left, etc. In the first clip maybe l saw a point where both feet were in the air at the same time when Myles was pulling off spin move number two.

    In clip 2 l saw him lose his base when his right foot went down near his left foot, but he regained it with a push off with the right hand to Myles’ gut and got his right foot back in place.

    I’m not sure any of this equates to “better technique”, but l’ve always felt Robinson’s main bugaboo was a lack of tenacity. 

    You nailed the one time Robinson hopped up into the air in clip one....955593417_Screenshot_2019-07-30GregRobinsonstechnicalprogressevidentinBrownscamp.png.9df976da88152bb5eb24e3a7cbf03345.png

    And yes, there is some shuffling when he has time, but there's as much foot-to-foot short-hopping as there is shuffling.

    As for his bugaboo... to my mind it's his athleticism... he was such a specimen that he was able to dominate at every level through Div I and he never had to learn Tech.

  • @ibleedbrown said:

    I feel like l watched both clips multiple times trying to see what you see, but not sure l do. I saw more of a gallop with his feet. Right left, right left, etc. In the first clip maybe l saw a point where both feet were in the air at the same time when Myles was pulling off spin move number two.

    In clip 2 l saw him lose his base when his right foot went down near his left foot, but he regained it with a push off with the right hand to Myles’ gut and got his right foot back in place.

    I’m not sure any of this equates to “better technique”, but l’ve always felt Robinson’s main bugaboo was a lack of tenacity. 

    You nailed the one time Robinson hopped up into the air in clip one....955593417_Screenshot_2019-07-30GregRobinsonstechnicalprogressevidentinBrownscamp.png.9df976da88152bb5eb24e3a7cbf03345.png

    And yes, there is some shuffling when he has time, but there's as much foot-to-foot short-hopping as there is shuffling.

    As for his bugaboo... to my mind it's his athleticism... he was such a specimen that he was able to dominate at every level through Div I and he never had to learn Tech.

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #63

    @tour2ma said:

    You nailed the one time Robinson hopped up into the air in clip one....955593417_Screenshot_2019-07-30GregRobinsonstechnicalprogressevidentinBrownscamp.png.9df976da88152bb5eb24e3a7cbf03345.png

    And yes, there is some shuffling when he has time, but there's as much foot-to-foot short-hopping as there is shuffling.

    As for his bugaboo... to my mind it's his athleticism... he was such a specimen that he was able to dominate at every level through Div I and he never had to learn Tech.

    Oddly enough good ol’ Maserati driving former OL coach with his Powerpoint of Rhinos somehow resonates with me. Who knew that Animal Planet could translate to football? 

    My recollection is what it is, skewed at best, but something about undersized blitzers gets me re: Robinson. Like he’s tentative or something. 

    Like it’s the blitzing safety that he’s not comfortable with leveling instead of the DE, a guy more his size.  

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #64

    Overcast and juuuuuust a bit breezy today.   Should be fun.

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #65

    Dline putting in work with position drills and 1 on 1.    Chad Thomas is an enigma - kid shows out until things are full speed 11's.   It was the same Saturday morning when i saw his limited looks.  I can't tell if he just hesitates, thinks too much or doesn't trust the process.  Looks every bit the part, but between the ears might be an issue.

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63
    #66

    Backers looked to tighten things up early.  3 straight incompletions. Baker comes back to roast them underneath to Higgy and Callaway back to back.

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #67

    Greedy with some time in at the 1's.  Getting doses of the defense he can handle. Praise Dorsey for CB depth.

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #68

    Baker picked... Pretty sure by Redwine. Questionable read and throw. One he didn't need to make.

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #69

    Just saw an alert - Michael Thomas got PAID. 

    I'm still bitter about that and I'll never forgive Haslam and Sashi for letting such an obvious talent slip through our fingers.

    Aaaaaaand back to watching.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    There really wasn't any action fielding or returning kicks.    Punts, yes.  And when they were back there it wasn't ideal.  I counted 2 fumbles.

    I'd also be interested in the kicking battle if there's anything interesting. I have a bit of a vested interest as Greg is a friend of a friend. Gut feeling though is that Seibert makes the squad, seems unlikely to draft a kicker that high without planning to have him on the 53.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #70

    @jrb12711 said:

    I'd also be interested in the kicking battle if there's anything interesting. I have a bit of a vested interest as Greg is a friend of a friend. Gut feeling though is that Seibert makes the squad, seems unlikely to draft a kicker that high without planning to have him on the 53.

    Seibert isn't winning the kicking battle barring a serious come-to-football-jesus moment.

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #71

    That's my bad from earlier - i was on the phone. Stanton threw the pick. I was watching the secondary and trying to talk at the same time.   This is why you take friends with you.  Buddy system.

    That having not been Baker - beyond my mistake, was on fire sans the few early incompletions.

    Greedy had some rough moments today.  Can't stress this enough, Higgy is a glue for this offense.  Callaway is, IMHO... Our 4th receiver and 5th target in the pecking order depending on how you like to distribute the ball.

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #72

    Sadly I have to head into work for a few hours. I'll give some quick thoughts later when I'm in front of my laptop.

  • Just saw an alert - Michael Thomas got PAID. 

    I'm still bitter about that and I'll never forgive Haslam and Sashi for letting such an obvious talent slip through our fingers.

    Aaaaaaand back to watching.

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by calfoxwc
    #73

    @tiamat63 said:

    Just saw an alert - Michael Thomas got PAID. 

    I'm still bitter about that and I'll never forgive Haslam and Sashi for letting such an obvious talent slip through our fingers.

    Aaaaaaand back to watching.

    a lot of us also knew not taking Thomas was one of the stupidest moves by Hue and crew.

    "On April 29, 2016, Thomas was drafted by the New Orleans Saints in the second round (47th overall) of the 2016 NFL Draft. He was the sixth wide receiver to be selected that year."

    I kept waiting to hear Thomas's name........not only did the Browns pass on him, ...they took everybody knows who at wr instead. dammit. just extremely stupid.

    I think Canton Mike nearly threw his Hebrew National hotdog into the wall.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Just saw an alert - Michael Thomas got PAID. 

    I'm still bitter about that and I'll never forgive Haslam and Sashi for letting such an obvious talent slip through our fingers.

    Aaaaaaand back to watching.

    a lot of us also knew not taking Thomas was one of the stupidest moves by Hue and crew.

    "On April 29, 2016, Thomas was drafted by the New Orleans Saints in the second round (47th overall) of the 2016 NFL Draft. He was the sixth wide receiver to be selected that year."

    I kept waiting to hear Thomas's name........not only did the Browns pass on him, ...they took everybody knows who at wr instead. dammit. just extremely stupid.

    I think Canton Mike nearly threw his Hebrew National hotdog into the wall.

    Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #74

    @calfoxwc said:

    a lot of us also knew not taking Thomas was one of the stupidest moves by Hue and crew.

    "On April 29, 2016, Thomas was drafted by the New Orleans Saints in the second round (47th overall) of the 2016 NFL Draft. He was the sixth wide receiver to be selected that year."

    I kept waiting to hear Thomas's name........not only did the Browns pass on him, ...they took everybody knows who at wr instead. dammit. just extremely stupid.

    I think Canton Mike nearly threw his Hebrew National hotdog into the wall.

    I don't think I have ever been more pissed about a draft pick (MISS!) than Corey Coleman over Mike Thomas!!!  AAAARRRRGGGGHHH!!!!!!

    I hate being reminded of that day.

    Mike

  • @calfoxwc said:

    a lot of us also knew not taking Thomas was one of the stupidest moves by Hue and crew.

    "On April 29, 2016, Thomas was drafted by the New Orleans Saints in the second round (47th overall) of the 2016 NFL Draft. He was the sixth wide receiver to be selected that year."

    I kept waiting to hear Thomas's name........not only did the Browns pass on him, ...they took everybody knows who at wr instead. dammit. just extremely stupid.

    I think Canton Mike nearly threw his Hebrew National hotdog into the wall.

    I don't think I have ever been more pissed about a draft pick (MISS!) than Corey Coleman over Mike Thomas!!!  AAAARRRRGGGGHHH!!!!!!

    I hate being reminded of that day.

    Mike

    jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #75

    @canton-mike said:

    I don't think I have ever been more pissed about a draft pick (MISS!) than Corey Coleman over Mike Thomas!!!  AAAARRRRGGGGHHH!!!!!!

    I hate being reminded of that day.

    Mike

    Coleman was the first wide receiver taken that year too. Let that one keep sinking in.

    Also fun fact: the first 5 picks of that draft have all made the pro bowl, and 6 of top 7 (Ronnie Stanley is the outlier, but even he's still a nice player). That draft just hurts my soul.

  • @canton-mike said:

    I don't think I have ever been more pissed about a draft pick (MISS!) than Corey Coleman over Mike Thomas!!!  AAAARRRRGGGGHHH!!!!!!

    I hate being reminded of that day.

    Mike

    Coleman was the first wide receiver taken that year too. Let that one keep sinking in.

    Also fun fact: the first 5 picks of that draft have all made the pro bowl, and 6 of top 7 (Ronnie Stanley is the outlier, but even he's still a nice player). That draft just hurts my soul.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #76

    @jrb12711 said:

    Coleman was the first wide receiver taken that year too. Let that one keep sinking in.

    Also fun fact: the first 5 picks of that draft have all made the pro bowl, and 6 of top 7 (Ronnie Stanley is the outlier, but even he's still a nice player). That draft just hurts my soul.

    CC was PFF's top rated WR that year.  This is why I talk about not entrenching one's self with dogma.  PFF's grading model is their God.  So when you come across a statistical anomaly that doesn't quite match film, it's best to take a step back and ask the context on arriving at a conclusion.  Same can be said for Ogbah in the same draft.  

    Analytics should validate tape and tape should validate analytics.  To use any other approach is operate with blinders on.

  • @jrb12711 said:

    Coleman was the first wide receiver taken that year too. Let that one keep sinking in.

    Also fun fact: the first 5 picks of that draft have all made the pro bowl, and 6 of top 7 (Ronnie Stanley is the outlier, but even he's still a nice player). That draft just hurts my soul.

    CC was PFF's top rated WR that year.  This is why I talk about not entrenching one's self with dogma.  PFF's grading model is their God.  So when you come across a statistical anomaly that doesn't quite match film, it's best to take a step back and ask the context on arriving at a conclusion.  Same can be said for Ogbah in the same draft.  

    Analytics should validate tape and tape should validate analytics.  To use any other approach is operate with blinders on.

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #77

    @tiamat63 said:

    Same can be said for Ogbah in the same draft.  

    yep. his college tape was very avg. Big strong kid but anybody tgat knows D line play could see the stiffness around the edge and the proclivity to lose his stack in the run game. But PFF says........?