***Official Browns Vs. Redskins Preseason Game Night Thread***
-
What I loved:
Coming out in the 2 minute offense to start the game and EXECUTING right off the bat. It was extremely impressive and not something you generally see in the preseason, especially the first game.
Baker’s accuracy. Now, we’ve known for a while that Baker can hit some tight windows, but that TD throw to Higgins was next level. That throw is extremely similar to at least one pick Baker had last year against the Broncos before half, and I think Baker MAY have had another pick in a similar type situation. If you underthrow it, the backer gets it. If you overthrow it, the DB gets it. It had to be right on the money, and it WAS.
Scoring on special teams AND defense. We didn’t have a defensive TD or special teams TD last year, and let’s face it, that really hurt us. Take week 1 for example. Schobert gets that pick and runs down the sideline, but I believe it was Genard Avery that assumed he’d score and COMPLETELY missed the ONE block needed for Schobert to moonwalk into the endzone. Missing the block resulted in Schobert being tackled, and it also provided the time for Myles to trail the play and have the worst block in the back penalty I’ve ever seen. Does Joseph get blocked ten yards closer? We’ll never know, but Schobert should’ve scored on that pick, and it cost us the game. Defensive and special teams TD’s are worth so much more than 6 points!
Mack Wilson and Greedy Williams getting multiple picks. Yo!
What I didn’t love:
Kalis FINALLY cementing the starting job, and then getting a concussion. I feel really bad for him, and I hope he gets healthy soon.
Two turnovers inside the 5 yard line. It’s preseason, and now is the time to learn the ball security lesson, but those two plays NEVER should have happened. I get that we’re trying to work on stuff, but let’s get jumbo package and stuff the ball into the end zone please.
Busted coverage from two of our rookies. Again, this was definitely the forum to have a busted coverage, but c’mon guys!!
My favorite moment of the night:
Sheehy breaking off the 86 yard punt return and the entire team running down to the end zone to celebrate. It was truly something special.
What I loved:
Coming out in the 2 minute offense to start the game and EXECUTING right off the bat. It was extremely impressive and not something you generally see in the preseason, especially the first game.
Baker’s accuracy. Now, we’ve known for a while that Baker can hit some tight windows, but that TD throw to Higgins was next level. That throw is extremely similar to at least one pick Baker had last year against the Broncos before half, and I think Baker MAY have had another pick in a similar type situation. If you underthrow it, the backer gets it. If you overthrow it, the DB gets it. It had to be right on the money, and it WAS.
Scoring on special teams AND defense. We didn’t have a defensive TD or special teams TD last year, and let’s face it, that really hurt us. Take week 1 for example. Schobert gets that pick and runs down the sideline, but I believe it was Genard Avery that assumed he’d score and COMPLETELY missed the ONE block needed for Schobert to moonwalk into the endzone. Missing the block resulted in Schobert being tackled, and it also provided the time for Myles to trail the play and have the worst block in the back penalty I’ve ever seen. Does Joseph get blocked ten yards closer? We’ll never know, but Schobert should’ve scored on that pick, and it cost us the game. Defensive and special teams TD’s are worth so much more than 6 points!
Mack Wilson and Greedy Williams getting multiple picks. Yo!
What I didn’t love:
Kalis FINALLY cementing the starting job, and then getting a concussion. I feel really bad for him, and I hope he gets healthy soon.
Two turnovers inside the 5 yard line. It’s preseason, and now is the time to learn the ball security lesson, but those two plays NEVER should have happened. I get that we’re trying to work on stuff, but let’s get jumbo package and stuff the ball into the end zone please.
Busted coverage from two of our rookies. Again, this was definitely the forum to have a busted coverage, but c’mon guys!!
My favorite moment of the night:
Sheehy breaking off the 86 yard punt return and the entire team running down to the end zone to celebrate. It was truly something special.
It's the first preseason game. Relax.
-
What I loved:
Coming out in the 2 minute offense to start the game and EXECUTING right off the bat. It was extremely impressive and not something you generally see in the preseason, especially the first game.
Baker’s accuracy. Now, we’ve known for a while that Baker can hit some tight windows, but that TD throw to Higgins was next level. That throw is extremely similar to at least one pick Baker had last year against the Broncos before half, and I think Baker MAY have had another pick in a similar type situation. If you underthrow it, the backer gets it. If you overthrow it, the DB gets it. It had to be right on the money, and it WAS.
Scoring on special teams AND defense. We didn’t have a defensive TD or special teams TD last year, and let’s face it, that really hurt us. Take week 1 for example. Schobert gets that pick and runs down the sideline, but I believe it was Genard Avery that assumed he’d score and COMPLETELY missed the ONE block needed for Schobert to moonwalk into the endzone. Missing the block resulted in Schobert being tackled, and it also provided the time for Myles to trail the play and have the worst block in the back penalty I’ve ever seen. Does Joseph get blocked ten yards closer? We’ll never know, but Schobert should’ve scored on that pick, and it cost us the game. Defensive and special teams TD’s are worth so much more than 6 points!
Mack Wilson and Greedy Williams getting multiple picks. Yo!
What I didn’t love:
Kalis FINALLY cementing the starting job, and then getting a concussion. I feel really bad for him, and I hope he gets healthy soon.
Two turnovers inside the 5 yard line. It’s preseason, and now is the time to learn the ball security lesson, but those two plays NEVER should have happened. I get that we’re trying to work on stuff, but let’s get jumbo package and stuff the ball into the end zone please.
Busted coverage from two of our rookies. Again, this was definitely the forum to have a busted coverage, but c’mon guys!!
My favorite moment of the night:
Sheehy breaking off the 86 yard punt return and the entire team running down to the end zone to celebrate. It was truly something special.
It's the first preseason game. Relax.
It's the first preseason game. Relax.
-
My biggest takeaway more than Baker looking fabulous is that this team clearly has some depth. Callaway IMO got robbed of a TD, and the guys churning for the last WR spots all looked strong last night. Mack, Greedy (outside the busted coverage) and TakiTaki all looked like dudes who can contribute as rookies for depth. There was a lot of clean pockets for guys to throw last night too, outside of screen plays.
This is the first time in my natural life I'm watching these guys thinking "man, what great depth" vs "man, what a chance for them to get thrown to the wolves". Exciting stuff.
-
When they had the 1st and goal and didn't make it...they were just experimenting. In normal situations I suspect it would have been Chubb 3 times up the gut.
-
They showed the first Browns defensive effort too and I can't believe they actually caught someone holding Myles. They never seemed to call that from behind hand full of jersey last year when he was running by people.
They showed the first Browns defensive effort too and I can't believe they actually caught someone holding Myles. They never seemed to call that from behind hand full of jersey last year when he was running by people.
Holding MG. . .NEVER!
-
When they had the 1st and goal and didn't make it...they were just experimenting. In normal situations I suspect it would have been Chubb 3 times up the gut.
When they had the 1st and goal and didn't make it...they were just experimenting. In normal situations I suspect it would have been Chubb 3 times up the gut.
If I were the regular season Mayfield would have already thrown a TD.....but hey maybe they're practicing for the 2 point plays.
Looks like some of weeks 2 and 3 for the regulars and maybe half of week 4 until it's for real.
Will be interesting to see who will be the final backups.....what a switch from the last 20 years.
-
Good game. Baker looks like he a legit MVP candidate. Not digging the 1970s porn mustache though.
-
It's odd - I've been telling Canton Mike I didn't understand about Higgins not being a star...
but he looked like one last night vs Washington.
Late Bloomer? Hue Bad Coaching Blues?
So they sign OBJ, Higgins shows star quality...
bad time for Calloway to mess up on ped's or whatever it was.
Enter:
Jaelen Strong
https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/video/on-the-browns-radar-jaelen-strong-15149086
I believe Strong has made the roster. He may have made Calloway expendable to a trade.
-
I would be surprised if we trade Callaway. We'll just have to wait & see what happens with him.
Mike
-
I would be surprised if we trade Callaway. We'll just have to wait & see what happens with him.
Mike
I would be surprised if we trade Callaway. We'll just have to wait & see what happens with him.
Mike
Freddie was pretty supportive of him today. If he keeps his nose clean he will be fine. Anyone know for sure what and when he did something that led to this?
-
I would be surprised if we trade Callaway. We'll just have to wait & see what happens with him.
Mike
Freddie was pretty supportive of him today. If he keeps his nose clean he will be fine. Anyone know for sure what and when he did something that led to this?
Anyone know for sure what and when he did something that led to this?
.......I'd guess probably when he was twelve or thirteen years old.
-
I truly thought the Higgins TD red carpet schtick was going to be a one time thing. It is no longer a one time thing. How do we feel about this?
-
I truly thought the Higgins TD red carpet schtick was going to be a one time thing. It is no longer a one time thing. How do we feel about this?
I truly thought the Higgins TD red carpet schtick was going to be a one time thing. It is no longer a one time thing. How do we feel about this?
Let's see it about 10 times a game, and then the National media will accuse us of showboating...
-
I would be surprised if we trade Callaway. We'll just have to wait & see what happens with him.
Mike
Freddie was pretty supportive of him today. If he keeps his nose clean he will be fine. Anyone know for sure what and when he did something that led to this?
Freddie was pretty supportive of him today. If he keeps his nose clean he will be fine. Anyone know for sure what and when he did something that led to this?
Nothing, other than on the drive back Callaway posting "I messed up, my fault", and Freddie and The Dorse being supportive, with the caveat- here's the rules going forward- don't screw up again.
-
I truly thought the Higgins TD red carpet schtick was going to be a one time thing. It is no longer a one time thing. How do we feel about this?
I truly thought the Higgins TD red carpet schtick was going to be a one time thing. It is no longer a one time thing. How do we feel about this?
Love it....it reminds me of this:
-
I fully digested the game and made some observations, mostly about a few specific players l keyed in on.
Orson Charles: tried to focus on him a few plays when l saw him in there, which weren’t many. Nothing terribly impressive. I think he’s at his best when he’s making a lead block in space, but it seemed he was moved all over the formation mostly making blocks in tandem with other clusters of people. And they had him run out into the flat to either catch a pass or draw coverage, but that’s not really his forte.
Trevon Coley: pretty impressed with this guy. Seems to have trimmed down, and working on some spin moves and shit. When we resigned him l saw it as a cheap depth move, but l think Trevon is rising to the challenge. To the hand wringers amongst us who may have been fretting about DT depth, l present Trevon Coley.
Ray squared Armstrong: was really hoping to see some positive action from him, but l really didn’t. He was in on a number of plays, but the best one was him eating a block so that Burris could get to the QB for a sack.
Eric Kush: really wanted to see how he did at RG with the first team, and l’m ok with him. Nothing spectacular, but in the realm of solid. I’ll take it.
Austin Corbett: he got a nice long look as back up Center, and he held his own in that role. Not gonna threaten Tretter anytime soon, but respectable work.
Drew Forbes: got a nice long look at him too as a back up RG, mostly playing alongside Corbett at Center. He did well. Held his own anyway. Had a number of plays against #92 of the Redskins, a big dude with a respectable power rush. Had one play where we got to see him jump for a second level block on a running play and of the 2 defenders he could have blocked he muffed on both. Just kinda ran between them. But otherwise a respectable outing. There was one play he got knocked down, got back up, and then went for the guy who pushed him down. Something to be said about never quitting on a play.
Devaroe Lawrence: had some nice plays. Got handled on others. A guy to keep an eye on. He made his way onto our team with a good preseason showing last year, so looking to translate that action to the regular season.
Hughlett: couple of those punt snaps came in a little low. Ain’t playing skee ball here.
-
@dutch-oven said:
That sounds fair, fake tough guy.
Not to change the subject but were Takitaki's ancestors in charge of setting up Gipper's text messaging?
-
I like tacos
-
@dutch-oven said:
That sounds fair, fake tough guy.
careful he boxes old chinese ladies in the park while they're doing tai chi. I hear he's even won a couple narrow decisions....
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
