Skip to content

Duke Johnson traded

The Browns Board
85 34 2.5k 1
  • Good luck Duke! Sucks to see ya go 

  • He wanted out. He got out. 

    That's a decent asset in return.

    Win/Win

    @mr.-make-believe said:

    He wanted out. He got out. 

    That's a decent asset in return.

    Win/Win

    It's pretty much the going rate. Better to clean house than let a malcontent fester. 

  • is Hunt going to play?

  • is Hunt going to play?

    @lbc-mike said:

    is Hunt going to play?

    I think he IS allowed to play in preseason.....but obviously not in the first 8 games of the regular season.   That could help some. 

    From what I am hearing the Browns are going to likely be scouring the waiver wires for a fill-in backup RB.  Of course, I guess the good thing is that RB is THE one position that someone can come in and play well right away using their natural abilities.  As opposed to QBs/WRs/OL etc.  Just give the guy the ball and let him run to daylight.

    It could also mean, at least at first, that we may not see a RB on the field on like 3rd downs.   It could be 4-5 WR sets....or even like  3 TEs...if we have that many.

    Those of you who know football strategy better than I....what say you about that? Could a "No RB"  on 3rd down be a proper....successful strategy?

  • Zombo said:

    Hilliard.

    I think we'll be looking through the scraps for a 3rd rib, but it will be interesting to see what we have on the roster tonight.

    Z

    Think Gipper nailed it- there's going to be plenty of FA running backs come cut time....  

    Duke bitched his way out of town. Like Baker said, you're either on the train, or you're not. Duke didn't want to get on board. 

  • Zombo said:

    Hilliard.

    I think we'll be looking through the scraps for a 3rd rib, but it will be interesting to see what we have on the roster tonight.

    Z

    Think Gipper nailed it- there's going to be plenty of FA running backs come cut time....  

    Duke bitched his way out of town. Like Baker said, you're either on the train, or you're not. Duke didn't want to get on board. 

    @hoorta said:

    Think Gipper nailed it- there's going to be plenty of FA running backs come cut time....  

    Duke bitched his way out of town. Like Baker said, you're either on the train, or you're not. Duke didn't want to get on board. 

    It's ok.. Him and Watson can convalesce together on the sidelines....

  • Good luck I suppose. 

  • Zombo said:

    Hilliard.

    I think we'll be looking through the scraps for a 3rd rib, but it will be interesting to see what we have on the roster tonight.

    Z

    Think Gipper nailed it- there's going to be plenty of FA running backs come cut time....  

    Duke bitched his way out of town. Like Baker said, you're either on the train, or you're not. Duke didn't want to get on board. 

    @hoorta said:

    Think Gipper nailed it- there's going to be plenty of FA running backs come cut time....  

    Duke bitched his way out of town. Like Baker said, you're either on the train, or you're not. Duke didn't want to get on board. 

    To be fair, Duke only wanted out after he found out Browns were shopping him; he said if they don't want me, I don't want to be here. I think that's fair. Plus they signed Hunt. Those 2 events is why he wanted gone. He is pretty good and he won't make jack his next contract if he doesn't have some touches. I bet he does quite well in Houston. 

  • hate to be blunt..butt Duke's bush league moment was calling out Dorsey as a liar, only doing his job..Bill O'Brain bryan will now be that GM & HC with maybe a worse OL..Duke wanted touches and if Bill makes him a feature back? his taking a huge risk.. it works both ways,for both teams right now with Hunt out 8  .. 

  • Great opportunity for Hilliard who I think must be doing what they hoped for in OTA's or there would have been no trade yet. A 3rd rounder is better than I expected since there was a good chance we might have just cut him later.

  • @lbc-mike said:

    is Hunt going to play?

    I think he IS allowed to play in preseason.....but obviously not in the first 8 games of the regular season.   That could help some. 

    From what I am hearing the Browns are going to likely be scouring the waiver wires for a fill-in backup RB.  Of course, I guess the good thing is that RB is THE one position that someone can come in and play well right away using their natural abilities.  As opposed to QBs/WRs/OL etc.  Just give the guy the ball and let him run to daylight.

    It could also mean, at least at first, that we may not see a RB on the field on like 3rd downs.   It could be 4-5 WR sets....or even like  3 TEs...if we have that many.

    Those of you who know football strategy better than I....what say you about that? Could a "No RB"  on 3rd down be a proper....successful strategy?

    @the-gipper said:

    I think he IS allowed to play in preseason.....but obviously not in the first 8 games of the regular season.   That could help some. 

    From what I am hearing the Browns are going to likely be scouring the waiver wires for a fill-in backup RB.  Of course, I guess the good thing is that RB is THE one position that someone can come in and play well right away using their natural abilities.  As opposed to QBs/WRs/OL etc.  Just give the guy the ball and let him run to daylight.

    It could also mean, at least at first, that we may not see a RB on the field on like 3rd downs.   It could be 4-5 WR sets....or even like  3 TEs...if we have that many.

    Those of you who know football strategy better than I....what say you about that? Could a "No RB"  on 3rd down be a proper....successful strategy?

    Of course that can work, and you will see it all over different levels of football and not just 3rd down strategy, but it also hamstrings you for short/intermediate yardage. If there is little or no threat for a run, a team can just drop in coverage.

    I saw you mention Ajayi, he doesn't fit the mold of what a team would want as a 3rd down back. Haven't watched enough of Hilliard to know his strengths, but the best option is to pick up someone who is similar to Duke

  • @hoorta said:

    Think Gipper nailed it- there's going to be plenty of FA running backs come cut time....  

    Duke bitched his way out of town. Like Baker said, you're either on the train, or you're not. Duke didn't want to get on board. 

    To be fair, Duke only wanted out after he found out Browns were shopping him; he said if they don't want me, I don't want to be here. I think that's fair. Plus they signed Hunt. Those 2 events is why he wanted gone. He is pretty good and he won't make jack his next contract if he doesn't have some touches. I bet he does quite well in Houston. 

    @icecube said:

    To be fair, Duke only wanted out after he found out Browns were shopping him; he said if they don't want me, I don't want to be here. I think that's fair. Plus they signed Hunt. Those 2 events is why he wanted gone. He is pretty good and he won't make jack his next contract if he doesn't have some touches. I bet he does quite well in Houston. 

    It might be fair, but Duke is counting on himself. Care to bet if he has a monster season with Rosenhaus as his agent he'll pull a Zeke Elliot-  renegotiate me?  

  • @the-gipper said:

    I think he IS allowed to play in preseason.....but obviously not in the first 8 games of the regular season.   That could help some. 

    From what I am hearing the Browns are going to likely be scouring the waiver wires for a fill-in backup RB.  Of course, I guess the good thing is that RB is THE one position that someone can come in and play well right away using their natural abilities.  As opposed to QBs/WRs/OL etc.  Just give the guy the ball and let him run to daylight.

    It could also mean, at least at first, that we may not see a RB on the field on like 3rd downs.   It could be 4-5 WR sets....or even like  3 TEs...if we have that many.

    Those of you who know football strategy better than I....what say you about that? Could a "No RB"  on 3rd down be a proper....successful strategy?

    Of course that can work, and you will see it all over different levels of football and not just 3rd down strategy, but it also hamstrings you for short/intermediate yardage. If there is little or no threat for a run, a team can just drop in coverage.

    I saw you mention Ajayi, he doesn't fit the mold of what a team would want as a 3rd down back. Haven't watched enough of Hilliard to know his strengths, but the best option is to pick up someone who is similar to Duke

    @gunz41 said:

    Of course that can work, and you will see it all over different levels of football and not just 3rd down strategy, but it also hamstrings you for short/intermediate yardage. If there is little or no threat for a run, a team can just drop in coverage.

    I saw you mention Ajayi, he doesn't fit the mold of what a team would want as a 3rd down back. Haven't watched enough of Hilliard to know his strengths, but the best option is to pick up someone who is similar to Duke

    Hilliard was ho-hum tonight Gipper.  

  • @gunz41 said:

    Of course that can work, and you will see it all over different levels of football and not just 3rd down strategy, but it also hamstrings you for short/intermediate yardage. If there is little or no threat for a run, a team can just drop in coverage.

    I saw you mention Ajayi, he doesn't fit the mold of what a team would want as a 3rd down back. Haven't watched enough of Hilliard to know his strengths, but the best option is to pick up someone who is similar to Duke

    Hilliard was ho-hum tonight Gipper.  

    @hoorta said:

    Hilliard was ho-hum tonight Gipper.  

    I agree. 

    And that no RB set on the goal line didn't work out so well.

  • @hoorta said:

    Hilliard was ho-hum tonight Gipper.  

    I agree. 

    And that no RB set on the goal line didn't work out so well.

    @the-gipper said:

    I agree. 

    And that no RB set on the goal line didn't work out so well.

    Does a 202 lb. RB need a nice big hole to get in?   (Hint: might be the only way?)

  • I am mostly concerned about John Dorsey. He HAS to be under investigation for grand larceny! Getting a 4th & maybe a 3rd for a 3rd round pick who didn't want to be here? Not too shabby!

    Actually, this trade is a "win-win" for both the Browns & Texans, but it simply amazes me how Dorsey can turn a negative situation into a positive with what seems to be a "snap of his fingers"! The man is MAGIC!!!

    Mike

  • I am mostly concerned about John Dorsey. He HAS to be under investigation for grand larceny! Getting a 4th & maybe a 3rd for a 3rd round pick who didn't want to be here? Not too shabby!

    Actually, this trade is a "win-win" for both the Browns & Texans, but it simply amazes me how Dorsey can turn a negative situation into a positive with what seems to be a "snap of his fingers"! The man is MAGIC!!!

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    I am mostly concerned about John Dorsey. He HAS to be under investigation for grand larceny! Getting a 4th & maybe a 3rd for a 3rd round pick who didn't want to be here? Not too shabby!

    Actually, this trade is a "win-win" for both the Browns & Texans, but it simply amazes me how Dorsey can turn a negative situation into a positive with what seems to be a "snap of his fingers"! The man is MAGIC!!!

    Mike

  • Who got traded??? 

    Who cares? 

    Bye Bye DJ

    0C4B5B88-9B05-4E24-9CD0-32E7CC70E9B0.jpeg

  • I personally like what I saw from Hilliard, seems like he can pick up the slack left from Duke's departure. Dorsey definitely got a "deal" done! We will get a 3rd from that trade, fo' sho'!

  • I personally like what I saw from Hilliard, seems like he can pick up the slack left from Duke's departure. Dorsey definitely got a "deal" done! We will get a 3rd from that trade, fo' sho'!

    @dawg-in-md said:

    I personally like what I saw from Hilliard, seems like he can pick up the slack left from Duke's departure. Dorsey definitely got a "deal" done! We will get a 3rd from that trade, fo' sho'!

    I'm not sure he has the same "skill set" as DJ had, but he did look strong out there last night. Very decisive cuts and down line running, and soft hands out of the back field.