Skip to content

Guiseppi up next on the Rich Eison show

The Browns Board
32 14 815
  • @atom said:

    I believe i read that the Haslems were really pulling for him also 

    but I just wonder were else he can contribute to warrant a roster spot  

    He's a "specialist". In the category of a long snapper- do you really need one of those on the roster? 

    @orion said:

    The 'feel good' answer is yes.

    The reality answer is no.  He's dropped passes.  He juggled the punt return.  There was a huge hole that, as Hue would say, 'Anybody could've run through'.  

    He's the Cajuste story of 2019.  

    Do I wish the best for him?  Absolutely!  It's hard to teach speed.  But the other guys, his competition, are catching the ball.  He's got three weeks to show that he can run routes, catch the ball, and block when called for.  - He's helped by the fact that Callaway is off the roster for 4 weeks...

    Bingo! that may have well earned him a roster spot- totally dependent of course on what he does in the next preseason games. I'm not the sentimental type. KNR put it pretty clearly. Do you want your #6 wr to be a marginal WR, and suck at punt returns, or do you want the same out of a #6 WR that's really good at returning kicks?   

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @hoorta said:

    He's a "specialist". In the category of a long snapper- do you really need one of those on the roster? 

    A kickoff/punt returner?  Yes we do need one on the roster.  see:  Josh Cribbs

    Bingo! that may have well earned him a roster spot- totally dependent of course on what he does in the next preseason games. I'm not the sentimental type. KNR put it pretty clearly. Do you want your #6 wr to be a marginal WR, and suck at punt returns, or do you want the same out of a #6 WR that's really good at returning kicks?   

  • Rich gushed over his story and no one gush's like Rich

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @atom said:

    Rich gushed over his story and no one gush's like Rich

           kid has the speaking voice of singer Michael Jackson ..nickname- Thriller?

  • @atom said:

    Rich gushed over his story and no one gush's like Rich

           kid has the speaking voice of singer Michael Jackson ..nickname- Thriller?

    ATOMA ATOM wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @gumby73 said:

           kid has the speaking voice of singer Michael Jackson ..nickname- Thriller?

    speaking of nicknames i have seen Higgins sporting a Metallica tee and OBJ wearing a Iron Maiden shirt so how bout Heavy Metal for are WR'S and ofcourse since Baker wears #6 he could be the number of the beast

  • @hoorta said:

    He's a "specialist". In the category of a long snapper- do you really need one of those on the roster? 

    A kickoff/punt returner?  Yes we do need one on the roster.  see:  Josh Cribbs

    Bingo! that may have well earned him a roster spot- totally dependent of course on what he does in the next preseason games. I'm not the sentimental type. KNR put it pretty clearly. Do you want your #6 wr to be a marginal WR, and suck at punt returns, or do you want the same out of a #6 WR that's really good at returning kicks?   

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @the-gipper said:

    He's a "specialist". In the category of a long snapper- do you really need one of those on the roster? 

    A kickoff/punt returner?  Yes we do need one on the roster.  see:  Josh Cribbs

    Bingo! that may have well earned him a roster spot- totally dependent of course on what he does in the next preseason games. I'm not the sentimental type. KNR put it pretty clearly. Do you want your #6 wr to be a marginal WR, and suck at punt returns, or do you want the same out of a #6 WR that's really good at returning kicks?   

    Sure we need one of those (KO\PR)- I haven't forgotten Cribbs. I'm pulling for the kid to make the team. As I mentioned, Callaway getting suspended for the first four games opens the door for Damon to make the roster. Depending of course how the next preseason games unfold. One kick return for a TD in the preseason isn't going to earn you a roster spot. Who can forget our past training camp sensation Ben Gay, who's probably out there somewhere working at a gas station. 

    BTW, I looked it up on Pro Football reference- Sheehy is both bigger 5'11" and 185, heavier than two of the Browns famous waterbugs from the past Gerald "Ice Cube"McNeil and Dino Hall.  

  • @gumby73 said:

           kid has the speaking voice of singer Michael Jackson ..nickname- Thriller?

    speaking of nicknames i have seen Higgins sporting a Metallica tee and OBJ wearing a Iron Maiden shirt so how bout Heavy Metal for are WR'S and ofcourse since Baker wears #6 he could be the number of the beast

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @atom said:

    speaking of nicknames i have seen Higgins sporting a Metallica tee and OBJ wearing a Iron Maiden shirt so how bout Heavy Metal for are WR'S and ofcourse since Baker wears #6 he could be the number of the beast

    Except the NFL won't allow 666, if you want to be exact. Got to be between 1 and 99. I don't think they allow "0" to be used anymore, though Jim Otto wore it way back in the past. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    He's a "specialist". In the category of a long snapper- do you really need one of those on the roster? 

    A kickoff/punt returner?  Yes we do need one on the roster.  see:  Josh Cribbs

    Bingo! that may have well earned him a roster spot- totally dependent of course on what he does in the next preseason games. I'm not the sentimental type. KNR put it pretty clearly. Do you want your #6 wr to be a marginal WR, and suck at punt returns, or do you want the same out of a #6 WR that's really good at returning kicks?   

    Sure we need one of those (KO\PR)- I haven't forgotten Cribbs. I'm pulling for the kid to make the team. As I mentioned, Callaway getting suspended for the first four games opens the door for Damon to make the roster. Depending of course how the next preseason games unfold. One kick return for a TD in the preseason isn't going to earn you a roster spot. Who can forget our past training camp sensation Ben Gay, who's probably out there somewhere working at a gas station. 

    BTW, I looked it up on Pro Football reference- Sheehy is both bigger 5'11" and 185, heavier than two of the Browns famous waterbugs from the past Gerald "Ice Cube"McNeil and Dino Hall.  

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @hoorta said:

    Sure we need one of those (KO\PR)- I haven't forgotten Cribbs. I'm pulling for the kid to make the team. As I mentioned, Callaway getting suspended for the first four games opens the door for Damon to make the roster. Depending of course how the next preseason games unfold. One kick return for a TD in the preseason isn't going to earn you a roster spot. Who can forget our past training camp sensation Ben Gay, who's probably out there somewhere working at a gas station. 

    BTW, I looked it up on Pro Football reference- Sheehy is both bigger 5'11" and 185, heavier than two of the Browns famous waterbugs from the past Gerald "Ice Cube"McNeil and Dino Hall.  

    I understand that  one big play does not a career or season make. I am just hopeful that we can find someone who can handle those jobs well. 

    Callaway now out leaves a hole.  Hilliard running at backup RB now leaves a spot. (and honestly...neither of them performed those jobs that well last year).   So, in my mind, the Browns DO  have an opening for a "starting"   kick/punt returner.....with no real other viable candidate in sight for the job.

    Or am I forgetting about somebody?

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #16

    Practice squad maybe

  • @hoorta said:

    Sure we need one of those (KO\PR)- I haven't forgotten Cribbs. I'm pulling for the kid to make the team. As I mentioned, Callaway getting suspended for the first four games opens the door for Damon to make the roster. Depending of course how the next preseason games unfold. One kick return for a TD in the preseason isn't going to earn you a roster spot. Who can forget our past training camp sensation Ben Gay, who's probably out there somewhere working at a gas station. 

    BTW, I looked it up on Pro Football reference- Sheehy is both bigger 5'11" and 185, heavier than two of the Browns famous waterbugs from the past Gerald "Ice Cube"McNeil and Dino Hall.  

    I understand that  one big play does not a career or season make. I am just hopeful that we can find someone who can handle those jobs well. 

    Callaway now out leaves a hole.  Hilliard running at backup RB now leaves a spot. (and honestly...neither of them performed those jobs that well last year).   So, in my mind, the Browns DO  have an opening for a "starting"   kick/punt returner.....with no real other viable candidate in sight for the job.

    Or am I forgetting about somebody?

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @the-gipper said:

    Or am I forgetting about somebody?

    Landry & OBJ in a pinch.. Edit--guys when ya get to the draft in Cleveland..Make sure ya stop by Rich Eisen's charity booth..drop a donation? Rich will gladly get a photo with you/family or friends..Though from Ickey-gan, He's a great guy & loves talking football with the youngsters..Tell him Gumby sent you😉..And he might give you the same line he gives me every year.."Tell me your wives nickname is Pokie"? ? well yes of course..When ya see Smitty (Steve Smith) grab right above them man titties & pop that CLEVELAND right at him ?..Vegas is next year, but plan ahead locals, for 2/3 days at the draft in 2021..And you Don't want to miss draft nite one..should be a crazy time..i may book a trip up myself     

  • @hoorta said:

    Sure we need one of those (KO\PR)- I haven't forgotten Cribbs. I'm pulling for the kid to make the team. As I mentioned, Callaway getting suspended for the first four games opens the door for Damon to make the roster. Depending of course how the next preseason games unfold. One kick return for a TD in the preseason isn't going to earn you a roster spot. Who can forget our past training camp sensation Ben Gay, who's probably out there somewhere working at a gas station. 

    BTW, I looked it up on Pro Football reference- Sheehy is both bigger 5'11" and 185, heavier than two of the Browns famous waterbugs from the past Gerald "Ice Cube"McNeil and Dino Hall.  

    I understand that  one big play does not a career or season make. I am just hopeful that we can find someone who can handle those jobs well. 

    Callaway now out leaves a hole.  Hilliard running at backup RB now leaves a spot. (and honestly...neither of them performed those jobs that well last year).   So, in my mind, the Browns DO  have an opening for a "starting"   kick/punt returner.....with no real other viable candidate in sight for the job.

    Or am I forgetting about somebody?

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @the-gipper said:

    So, in my mind, the Browns DO  have an opening for a "starting"   kick/punt returner

    But perhaps in 'their' mind they might see having another thumper RB that can convert 3rd & 1 in case Chubb is dinged as more of a necessity.

    I think the stars have to line up for Guiseppi  to make the roster.  But if he does, he has to get a haircut.  

  • @the-gipper said:

    So, in my mind, the Browns DO  have an opening for a "starting"   kick/punt returner

    But perhaps in 'their' mind they might see having another thumper RB that can convert 3rd & 1 in case Chubb is dinged as more of a necessity.

    I think the stars have to line up for Guiseppi  to make the roster.  But if he does, he has to get a haircut.  

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @orion said:

    But perhaps in 'their' mind they might see having another thumper RB that can convert 3rd & 1 in case Chubb is dinged as more of a necessity.

    Isn't that what Kareem Hunt is for?  Eventually?

    I think the stars have to line up for Guiseppi  to make the roster.  But if he does, he has to get a haircut.  

    Oh, for sure. Still, the job of punt/KOR is still open.  Fair to say?

  • the poll on the sports news asked if he should make the roster, 95% said YES.

    I saw where he actually wore OBJ's shoes?

    The locker room chanted his name, he's a popular guy by the looks of the celebration.

    He might be one of the very top kick returners in the NFL later on in the regular season.

    You can bet he isn't a kid who will throw it all away on dope....

    https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/2019/08/09/cleveland-browns-damon-sheehy-guiseppi-odell-beckham-shoes-touchdown/1965916001/

    medicinemanM medicineman wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @calfoxwc said:

    the poll on the sports news asked if he should make the roster, 95% said YES.

    I saw where he actually wore OBJ's shoes?

    The locker room chanted his name, he's a popular guy by the looks of the celebration.

    He might be one of the very top kick returners in the NFL later on in the regular season.

    You can bet he isn't a kid who will throw it all away on dope....

    https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/2019/08/09/cleveland-browns-damon-sheehy-guiseppi-odell-beckham-shoes-touchdown/1965916001/

    What's the point of having a bunch of $$$ if you can't blow it all on dope? Ask Josh what's his name?

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #21

    A lot of folks are rootin for ya, kid...

    https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/09/us/nfl-rookie-sheehy-guiseppi-touchdown-trnd/index.html

    Thursday night's touchdown helped the Browns beat the Redskins. But to add to the outlandish story, Sheehy-Guiseppi had misplaced his cleats before the game, according to NFL Network's Mike Garafolo, so he was running in star teammate Odell Beckham Jr.'s cleats.
    "I'm just blessed to be healthy and be in the position that I am," Sheehy-Guiseppi said. "I just try to stay in the moment and just think about what's to come next. I'm super proud to be able to take advantage of moments like that."
     
    Highsmith has high hopes: "Incredible. To be out of football as long as he's been out, and still have that type of speed? That means he's fast. And now he's eating three square meals a day, sleeping in his own bed. The sky's the limit for him."
  • @orion said:

    But perhaps in 'their' mind they might see having another thumper RB that can convert 3rd & 1 in case Chubb is dinged as more of a necessity.

    Isn't that what Kareem Hunt is for?  Eventually?

    I think the stars have to line up for Guiseppi  to make the roster.  But if he does, he has to get a haircut.  

    Oh, for sure. Still, the job of punt/KOR is still open.  Fair to say?

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @the-gipper said:

    Oh, for sure. Still, the job of punt/KOR is still open.  Fair to say?

    Well, yes.  But unless it's someone exceptional, you usually assign it to a wr, db, rb, etc.   Is Guiseppi exceptional?  So far, he's returned a punt for a td at the end of the 4th quarter, against the bottom of the Redskins roster.  We'll have to try him returning earlier in games and see how he fare's.  

  • @the-gipper said:

    Oh, for sure. Still, the job of punt/KOR is still open.  Fair to say?

    Well, yes.  But unless it's someone exceptional, you usually assign it to a wr, db, rb, etc.   Is Guiseppi exceptional?  So far, he's returned a punt for a td at the end of the 4th quarter, against the bottom of the Redskins roster.  We'll have to try him returning earlier in games and see how he fare's.  

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @orion said:

    Well, yes.  But unless it's someone exceptional, you usually assign it to a wr, db, rb, etc.   Is Guiseppi exceptional?  So far, he's returned a punt for a td at the end of the 4th quarter, against the bottom of the Redskins roster.  We'll have to try him returning earlier in games and see how he fare's.  

    Fair enough.  But if he does not get that job/those jobs....who will?  NO ONE has distinguished themselves at all....either last year or in training camp, that I see, except this guy.   Even if it was against scrubs.

  • @orion said:

    Well, yes.  But unless it's someone exceptional, you usually assign it to a wr, db, rb, etc.   Is Guiseppi exceptional?  So far, he's returned a punt for a td at the end of the 4th quarter, against the bottom of the Redskins roster.  We'll have to try him returning earlier in games and see how he fare's.  

    Fair enough.  But if he does not get that job/those jobs....who will?  NO ONE has distinguished themselves at all....either last year or in training camp, that I see, except this guy.   Even if it was against scrubs.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @the-gipper said:

    NO ONE has distinguished themselves at all....either last year or in training camp, that I see, except this guy.   Even if it was against scrubs.

    Yup.  It's been kind of a weak spot for us.  We're desperate for someone to step forward.  He's taken a step forward....

  • Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #25

    Am I correct in thinking Travis Benjamin was the last Brown to return a punt for a TD & didn't he leave in 2015?

    Why not keep the kid? At least we would finally have another THREAT!

    Mike

  • @the-gipper said:

    Oh, for sure. Still, the job of punt/KOR is still open.  Fair to say?

    Well, yes.  But unless it's someone exceptional, you usually assign it to a wr, db, rb, etc.   Is Guiseppi exceptional?  So far, he's returned a punt for a td at the end of the 4th quarter, against the bottom of the Redskins roster.  We'll have to try him returning earlier in games and see how he fare's.  

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @orion said:

    Well, yes.  But unless it's someone exceptional, you usually assign it to a wr, db, rb, etc.   Is Guiseppi exceptional?  So far, he's returned a punt for a td at the end of the 4th quarter, against the bottom of the Redskins roster.  We'll have to try him returning earlier in games and see how he fare's.  

    Look for Giudo 😁 to see plenty of KO PR duty over the next couple games. Hey, he's been out of football for a couple years, and only played at the JUCO level. That and the NFL are two different worlds. I'll cut him a break if he's "rusty".   

    MHO? He'd have to totally suck as a WR to not make the team. And do you really want to trot OBJ or Landry out there risking injury returning kicks? I sure don't. 

    Should Sheehy turn in a couple more big plays in the return game, there's no way the Browns would be able to hide him on the Practice squad, he'd be snapped up by another team instantly. 

    The current management team and talent evaluators are on a whole different level from what we've seen in the past. I haven't forgotten they had future HOFer Antonio Gates right under their noses, and didn't realize it. 

  • @orion said:

    Well, yes.  But unless it's someone exceptional, you usually assign it to a wr, db, rb, etc.   Is Guiseppi exceptional?  So far, he's returned a punt for a td at the end of the 4th quarter, against the bottom of the Redskins roster.  We'll have to try him returning earlier in games and see how he fare's.  

    Look for Giudo 😁 to see plenty of KO PR duty over the next couple games. Hey, he's been out of football for a couple years, and only played at the JUCO level. That and the NFL are two different worlds. I'll cut him a break if he's "rusty".   

    MHO? He'd have to totally suck as a WR to not make the team. And do you really want to trot OBJ or Landry out there risking injury returning kicks? I sure don't. 

    Should Sheehy turn in a couple more big plays in the return game, there's no way the Browns would be able to hide him on the Practice squad, he'd be snapped up by another team instantly. 

    The current management team and talent evaluators are on a whole different level from what we've seen in the past. I haven't forgotten they had future HOFer Antonio Gates right under their noses, and didn't realize it. 

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @hoorta said:

    Look for Giudo 😁 to see plenty of KO PR duty over the next couple games. Hey, he's been out of football for a couple years, and only played at the JUCO level. That and the NFL are two different worlds. I'll cut him a break if he's "rusty".   

    MHO? He'd have to totally suck as a WR to not make the team. And do you really want to trot OBJ or Landry out there risking injury returning kicks? I sure don't. 

    Should Sheehy turn in a couple more big plays in the return game, there's no way the Browns would be able to hide him on the Practice squad, he'd be snapped up by another team instantly. 

    The current management team and talent evaluators are on a whole different level from what we've seen in the past. I haven't forgotten they had future HOFer Antonio Gates right under their noses, and didn't realize it. 

    He does look Italian doesn’t he? 

    I was a little embarrassed for him acting all gassed and sucking oxygen after that magnificent run back. A better play would have been to act all hard like it was no big deal. 

  • @hoorta said:

    Look for Giudo 😁 to see plenty of KO PR duty over the next couple games. Hey, he's been out of football for a couple years, and only played at the JUCO level. That and the NFL are two different worlds. I'll cut him a break if he's "rusty".   

    MHO? He'd have to totally suck as a WR to not make the team. And do you really want to trot OBJ or Landry out there risking injury returning kicks? I sure don't. 

    Should Sheehy turn in a couple more big plays in the return game, there's no way the Browns would be able to hide him on the Practice squad, he'd be snapped up by another team instantly. 

    The current management team and talent evaluators are on a whole different level from what we've seen in the past. I haven't forgotten they had future HOFer Antonio Gates right under their noses, and didn't realize it. 

    He does look Italian doesn’t he? 

    I was a little embarrassed for him acting all gassed and sucking oxygen after that magnificent run back. A better play would have been to act all hard like it was no big deal. 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @ibleedbrown said:

    I was a little embarrassed for him acting all gassed and sucking oxygen after that magnificent run back. A better play would have been to act all hard like it was no big deal. 

    Well, part of that could be because he was flat on his back in the end zone and everyone jumped on him....making it hard for him to breath under there.  He probably got gassed twice.

  • @ibleedbrown said:

    I was a little embarrassed for him acting all gassed and sucking oxygen after that magnificent run back. A better play would have been to act all hard like it was no big deal. 

    Well, part of that could be because he was flat on his back in the end zone and everyone jumped on him....making it hard for him to breath under there.  He probably got gassed twice.

    Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @orion said:

    Well, part of that could be because he was flat on his back in the end zone and everyone jumped on him....making it hard for him to breath under there.  He probably got gassed twice.

    You bet! The 1st guy "affectionately" clothes-lined him & I thought the same thing, that he could damn near suffocate under there.

    Mike