Skip to content

Stallworth was drinking with Braylon before fatal crash

The Browns Board
15 11 1.2k
  • ? Aloysius wrote on last edited by
    #1
    Stallworth was drinking with Braylon Edwards before fatal crash

    MIAMI (AP) -- Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte' Stallworth told police he drank up to four shots of premium tequila while partying with friends at a Miami Beach club but did not feel drunk in the hours before he struck and killed a pedestrian with his car.

    In a recorded interview with police, Stallworth said he met fellow Browns receiver Braylon Edwards and others at a hotel sometime after 2 a.m. on March 14. Stallworth said he drank some tequila from Edwards' table and later bought some shots himself.

    "Three, four at the most," Stallworth said. "I wasn't really counting."

    When asked if he was intoxicated, Stallworth said: "No, sir."

    Lab tests later showed Stallworth had a blood-alcohol level of .126, above Florida's .08 limit.

    Stallworth, 28, is serving a 30-day jail sentence after pleading guilty to DUI manslaughter in the death of 59-year-old Mario Reyes. Stallworth also reached an undisclosed financial settlement with Reyes' family, which factored into his relatively light sentence.

    The Stallworth interview with Miami Beach police and other evidence was released Tuesday by prosecutors under a public records request by The Associated Press.

    Stallworth said he left the club sometime after 4 a.m., went to his Miami condominium for a nap and then decided to go out for breakfast in his 2005 Bentley. That's when he encountered Reyes, who was leaving his job as a crane operator, crossing a busy road around 7:15 a.m.

    "I seen him in the street and I flashed my lights at him to let him at least know I was coming. I tried to swerve over as much as I could," Stallworth said.

    Later, his voice falling almost to a whisper, Stallworth said, "If he would have completely stopped and not kept going ... don't know why he kept going. I don't know. I should have just stayed home."

    Edwards, 26, said he and Stallworth had drinks earlier in the day by the pool at the hotel before meeting at the nightclub. A receipt shows that Edwards spent $3,443 that night at the club -- including $1,500 on Perrier-Jouet Rose champagne and $695 on Grey Goose vodka -- and he said Stallworth didn't seem impaired when they parted ways early the morning of the crash. Edwards had a room at the hotel.

    "We're friends. If he were anything outside himself, I would have told him to stay here. He looked OK. He looked fine," Edwards said in a recorded statement.

    Stallworth's credit card receipts shows he bought a $375 bottle of Patron Silver that he sent to Edwards' table, five shots of the tequila for $90, a water and a Red Bull energy drink. Stallworth said some of the shots were for female friends.

    The toxicology analysis also confirms reports that Stallworth tested positive for marijuana in addition to alcohol. Neither Stallworth nor Edwards mentioned any use of marijuana.

    Stallworth has been suspended indefinitely by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell following the incident. He signed a signed a seven-year, $35 million contract with the Browns before last season but was injured much of the year, finishing with 17 catches for 170 yards and a touchdown. The Tennessee college star has also played in the NFL for New England, Philadelphia and New Orleans.

  • C CLEVELandMILIDH wrote on last edited by
    #2

    Edwards spent 3500 on alcohol and wasnt plastered, $1500 for a bottle of wine, 4 bottles of Grey Goose at $700 a bottle. Who drinks 4 bottles of Grey Goose. Oh yea, he kept dropping the bottles thats why Stallworth had to send over a bottle of Patron Silver

  • PlaygroundLegendP PlaygroundLegend wrote on last edited by
    #3

    I dont get why they party at the clubs instead of their million dollar homes. At the club a bottle of grey goose costs $700? Its $60 at the liquor store, SAME SHIT! I'd have a dj set up at my house, by the pool, and basically bring the club home. Thats truely a waste of money

  • C CLEVELandMILIDH wrote on last edited by
    #4

    @shepwrite said:

    Usually when athletes are throwing around money like that, it's not for their own ingestion. It's for da ladies.

    Obviously, It was a joke it just didnt come out as funny written down as it did in my head. LOL

  • ? mz. wrote on last edited by
    #5

    Trust me, you don't want the skanks knowing where you live, Playground.

  • I dont get why they party at the clubs instead of their million dollar homes. At the club a bottle of grey goose costs $700? Its $60 at the liquor store, SAME SHIT! I'd have a dj set up at my house, by the pool, and basically bring the club home. Thats truely a waste of money

    Y YtownBrownsBacker wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @playgroundlegend said:

    I dont get why they party at the clubs instead of their million dollar homes. At the club a bottle of grey goose costs $700? Its $60 at the liquor store, SAME SHIT! I'd have a dj set up at my house, by the pool, and basically bring the club home. Thats truely a waste of money

    You made your own point. It doesn't matter $60 or $700 or $7000 for a bottle. It's like play money to them.

  • Trust me, you don't want the skanks knowing where you live, Playground.

    PlaygroundLegendP PlaygroundLegend wrote on last edited by
    #7

    mz. said:

    Trust me, you don't want the skanks knowing where you live, Playground.

    haha, guess so, good point

  • D daddybull1 wrote on last edited by
    #8

    Stallworth went home and slept for 3 hours and was still over the limit... This has me rethinking my own personal habits when I'm in the partying mode.... This was not your typical DUI....... All of those involved payed a huge price for their actions....

    peace

    T.Dawg

  • Edwards spent 3500 on alcohol and wasnt plastered, $1500 for a bottle of wine, 4 bottles of Grey Goose at $700 a bottle. Who drinks 4 bottles of Grey Goose. Oh yea, he kept dropping the bottles thats why Stallworth had to send over a bottle of Patron Silver

    Kosar_For_PresidentK Kosar_For_President wrote on last edited by
    #9

    nmills said:

    Edwards spent 3500 on alcohol and wasnt plastered, $1500 for a bottle of wine, 4 bottles of Grey Goose at $700 a bottle. Who drinks 4 bottles of Grey Goose. Oh yea, he kept dropping the bottles thats why Stallworth had to send over a bottle of Patron Silver

    That was funny.

  • I dont get why they party at the clubs instead of their million dollar homes. At the club a bottle of grey goose costs $700? Its $60 at the liquor store, SAME SHIT! I'd have a dj set up at my house, by the pool, and basically bring the club home. Thats truely a waste of money

    V Vegasdogg wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @playgroundlegend said:

    I dont get why they party at the clubs instead of their million dollar homes. At the club a bottle of grey goose costs $700? Its $60 at the liquor store, SAME SHIT! I'd have a dj set up at my house, by the pool, and basically bring the club home. Thats truely a waste of money

    I think for legal purposes, having a party at your home opens up all kinds of opportunities for lawsuits. Also, here in Vegas you pay for the table and the Grey Goose. Anywhere from $700 to $3500 per bottle/table. Crazy...... Sure the chicks dig it, and guys dig chicks.

  • D Dave wrote on last edited by
    #11

    Vegasdogg is right, in Miami, you pay for the table at those clubs, only you can't "pay" for the table as its an open club, so they pay for the bottle of liquor or wine at a ridiculous price and the bouncers make sure you have privacy. My sister and brother in law live down there and when I visit we've went to some of these clubs. Shots are over $10 each and mixed drinks are usually $16 or more. Its incomprehensible to someone living in Cleveland but down there, its normal. There motto is "its Miami". I don't get it and I usually have many inside jokes at their expense when I'm visiting, which of course they don't get because they are so caught up in themselves and how they look. I remember one of her friends telling me how he was some big-shot who owned this club and ran that place and was going to buy this building, blah, blah, blah. I leaned in real close to him and said "you know, back in Cleveland, I'm kind of a big deal". You should have seen how funny he thought that was, he went around to all the fake girls and guys who were in the table area telling them that I was a big deal in Cleveland. It wasn't that he though me telling him I was a big deal that was funny, it was that I was from Cleveland. Anyway, I got the last laugh as I did his girlfriend in the bathroom when he was outside on the phone "making big things happen". Guess she thought being a big deal in Cleveland was better than a big deal in Miami. Good times.

  • PlaygroundLegendP PlaygroundLegend wrote on last edited by
    #12

    OH SNAP! +1 thanks

  • Vegasdogg is right, in Miami, you pay for the table at those clubs, only you can't "pay" for the table as its an open club, so they pay for the bottle of liquor or wine at a ridiculous price and the bouncers make sure you have privacy. My sister and brother in law live down there and when I visit we've went to some of these clubs. Shots are over $10 each and mixed drinks are usually $16 or more. Its incomprehensible to someone living in Cleveland but down there, its normal. There motto is "its Miami". I don't get it and I usually have many inside jokes at their expense when I'm visiting, which of course they don't get because they are so caught up in themselves and how they look. I remember one of her friends telling me how he was some big-shot who owned this club and ran that place and was going to buy this building, blah, blah, blah. I leaned in real close to him and said "you know, back in Cleveland, I'm kind of a big deal". You should have seen how funny he thought that was, he went around to all the fake girls and guys who were in the table area telling them that I was a big deal in Cleveland. It wasn't that he though me telling him I was a big deal that was funny, it was that I was from Cleveland. Anyway, I got the last laugh as I did his girlfriend in the bathroom when he was outside on the phone "making big things happen". Guess she thought being a big deal in Cleveland was better than a big deal in Miami. Good times.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #13

    @dave said:

    Vegasdogg is right, in Miami, you pay for the table at those clubs, only you can't "pay" for the table as its an open club, so they pay for the bottle of liquor or wine at a ridiculous price and the bouncers make sure you have privacy. My sister and brother in law live down there and when I visit we've went to some of these clubs. Shots are over $10 each and mixed drinks are usually $16 or more. Its incomprehensible to someone living in Cleveland but down there, its normal. There motto is "its Miami". I don't get it and I usually have many inside jokes at their expense when I'm visiting, which of course they don't get because they are so caught up in themselves and how they look. I remember one of her friends telling me how he was some big-shot who owned this club and ran that place and was going to buy this building, blah, blah, blah. I leaned in real close to him and said "you know, back in Cleveland, I'm kind of a big deal". You should have seen how funny he thought that was, he went around to all the fake girls and guys who were in the table area telling them that I was a big deal in Cleveland. It wasn't that he though me telling him I was a big deal that was funny, it was that I was from Cleveland. Anyway, I got the last laugh as I did his girlfriend in the bathroom when he was outside on the phone "making big things happen". Guess she thought being a big deal in Cleveland was better than a big deal in Miami. Good times.

    All I can say is I'd love to have a stake in the Club they were hanging at. Those liquor prices were obscene. At $16 for a measly one ounce shot of Gray Goose, that works out to $380 for a bottle. As the board's resident wino the best champagnes in the world- Bollinger RD (served @ Princess Di's wedding) or Krug only set you back about $250 retail. Wine Spectator labels anything on a wine list 3X retail "expensive". 6X retail is gouging, unless they throw in lap dances, free limo service [apparently they didn't], and bodyguards as a perk. Hey, Stallworth & Braylon were being economical- at least they didn't ask for "top" top shelf- if they wanted to blow serious money on booze they should have asked for a bottle of Remy Martin Louis XIII Cognac, at the club markup, that would have been about $9,000.

    PS- Good thing Stallworth & Edwards are wine newbies- you want to see a bar tab that should be in Guinness World Book of records? ? LOL!!! Investment Bankers Fired after running up huge bill

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
    #14

    No doubt.....but...they are paying for the club.

    Being top dog at the top club has it's benefits. Married women and ugly women don't hang at those places.

    hey Hoorta....here you go...all you have to do is add it to the cart.

    I have a steady hand for decanting. 😉

    What does that work out to....about $3500 a glass??

    http://www.finestwine.com/buy-wine-Petrus-...61-wb750-1.html

  • Riffer XR Riffer X wrote on last edited by
    #15

    It is absolutely ridiculous to pay those kinds of prices for alcohol. You should just take the money, light it on fire and burn it up. At least then you wouldn't risk a DUI or killing somebody.

    It doesn't matter how much money you have, spending like that could be put to real use for a million other things. That's why I LMAO when these clowns go broke like Tyson, Vick, Holyfield, MC Hammer etc. Complete idiots don't deserve that kind of money.