Skip to content

Time Running Out for Austin Corbett

The Browns Board
61 24 2.2k 1
  • Time isn't running for Corbett - it's already out.

    @tiamat63 said:

    Time isn't running for Corbett - it's already out.

    I thought  he might be  too expensive to  cut.  Not the case, about  $4 million  dead cap. I suspect  Dorsey  will  keep  him  on the roster for  at least this year  though.

  • I was actually reasonably pleased with Corbett after the Wash game, but not so much after Indy. Too often l see Corbett out of position or getting steered instead of being the guy doing the steering. 

    Forbes on the other hand continues to look ok to me at RG. Both Corbett and Forbes have gotten a chunk of playing time alongside each other, and they seem to work in tandem on a number of plays, passing guys off and combo blocking.

    On one play damn near the whole OL got sucked under for a Blough sack, except for Forbes who was up front keeping his guy out of the backfield. He whiffed on one block, but Corbett picked him up on another play. Forbes will get knocked back but seems to regain his position pretty quickly. I think he’s got the goods but still needs seasoning. 

  • guys like Dieken, Bitonio, Joe Thomas, etc etcetc, are kickass mean ON the FIELD. They love the football fight when they played/play.   Seems that Corbett's heart isn't into it. That is the only way I can figure it. A guy like Flugels didn't have Corbett's size, but he had a giant amount of fight playing the game. Maybe the light goes on with Corbett... but it seems if he stays, the Browns could find a lesser skilled player later in the next year's draft, that would be more effective because he loves the physicality of the game.

  • I hated the Corbett pick. It was a weak tackle class so I get reaching a little, but there was so many quality players on the board. We could have missed on Chubb because if Corbett and that would have been a disaster. 

  • No General Manager is infallible.

    The wrong players are drafted, bad contracts are signed, and trades can’t be completed. The pluses for John Dorsey, GM of the Cleveland Browns, are vast. Just to name a few of his accomplishments, Dorsey traded for Odell Beckham, Jr. and Damarius Randall, signed Sheldon Richardson, and drafted Baker Mayfield, Denzel Ward, and Nick Chubb in the 2018 NFL Draft.

    The missteps for John Dorsey have been few and far between, but Austin Corbett stands in the spotlight, on the 50-yard line, with a stadium full of Browns fans staring at him.

    Austin Corbett was drafted with the 33rd pick in the 2018 NFL Draft and there were visions of him developing into a Pro Bowl offensive lineman. Matt Miller of Bleacher Report wrote “he still projects as an early starter, but more so as a left guard than a tackle.“ and NFL.com’s Draft Profile of Corbett has a source sharing “He’s smart and just solid all the way around. Long time starter in the league. I think he’ll end up at center.“ Even one of my favorite prospect evaluators, Jon Ledyard, had this Tweet about Austin Corbett:

    At this point in his career, Austin Corbett has not lived up to his draft status or hype by playing on only 14 offensive snaps in 2018. The 2019 offseason has not been any better as the Browns have added Eric Kush and Kyle Kalis in free agency and drafted Drew Forbes.

    He struggled badly in the second preseason game. Corbett launched a terrible snap and missed on several blocking assignments. Unfortunately those are par for the course for what Corbett has done.

    There may be an opportunity for John Dorsey to save face and recoup some value by trading Corbett. It seems like a change of scenery might be the best for everyone involved. Unfortunately, the window to trade Corbett closes more with every snap Corbett plays and cutting him might be Dorsey’s only remaining option.

    https://brownswire-usatoday-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/brownswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/18/opinion-time-for-the-browns-to-bail-on-austin-corbett/amp/?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQEKAFwAQ%3D%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fbrownswire.usatoday.com%2F2019%2F08%2F18%2Fopinion-time-for-the-browns-to-bail-on-austin-corbett%2F

    @jiggins7919 said:

    No General Manager is infallible.

    The wrong players are drafted, bad contracts are signed, and trades can’t be completed. The pluses for John Dorsey, GM of the Cleveland Browns, are vast. Just to name a few of his accomplishments, Dorsey traded for Odell Beckham, Jr. and Damarius Randall, signed Sheldon Richardson, and drafted Baker Mayfield, Denzel Ward, and Nick Chubb in the 2018 NFL Draft.

    The missteps for John Dorsey have been few and far between, but Austin Corbett stands in the spotlight, on the 50-yard line, with a stadium full of Browns fans staring at him.

    Austin Corbett was drafted with the 33rd pick in the 2018 NFL Draft and there were visions of him developing into a Pro Bowl offensive lineman. Matt Miller of Bleacher Report wrote “he still projects as an early starter, but more so as a left guard than a tackle.“ and NFL.com’s Draft Profile of Corbett has a source sharing “He’s smart and just solid all the way around. Long time starter in the league. I think he’ll end up at center.“ Even one of my favorite prospect evaluators, Jon Ledyard, had this Tweet about Austin Corbett:

    At this point in his career, Austin Corbett has not lived up to his draft status or hype by playing on only 14 offensive snaps in 2018. The 2019 offseason has not been any better as the Browns have added Eric Kush and Kyle Kalis in free agency and drafted Drew Forbes.

    He struggled badly in the second preseason game. Corbett launched a terrible snap and missed on several blocking assignments. Unfortunately those are par for the course for what Corbett has done.

    There may be an opportunity for John Dorsey to save face and recoup some value by trading Corbett. It seems like a change of scenery might be the best for everyone involved. Unfortunately, the window to trade Corbett closes more with every snap Corbett plays and cutting him might be Dorsey’s only remaining option.

    https://brownswire-usatoday-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/brownswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/18/opinion-time-for-the-browns-to-bail-on-austin-corbett/amp/?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQEKAFwAQ%3D%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fbrownswire.usatoday.com%2F2019%2F08%2F18%2Fopinion-time-for-the-browns-to-bail-on-austin-corbett%2F

    He only played 14 snaps last year?  Hell...that would mean that he would be eligible for the Practice Squad, no?   (though I doubt he would pass waivers for us to get him there)

    And I guess the Browns need to start scouting  college OGs....as it seems it may be a priority in next year's draft.   A Zach Martin, Quentin Nelson type?   (perhaps we should be paying attention to Notre Dame OGs)

  • I was actually reasonably pleased with Corbett after the Wash game, but not so much after Indy. Too often l see Corbett out of position or getting steered instead of being the guy doing the steering. 

    Forbes on the other hand continues to look ok to me at RG. Both Corbett and Forbes have gotten a chunk of playing time alongside each other, and they seem to work in tandem on a number of plays, passing guys off and combo blocking.

    On one play damn near the whole OL got sucked under for a Blough sack, except for Forbes who was up front keeping his guy out of the backfield. He whiffed on one block, but Corbett picked him up on another play. Forbes will get knocked back but seems to regain his position pretty quickly. I think he’s got the goods but still needs seasoning. 

    @ibleedbrown said:

    I was actually reasonably pleased with Corbett after the Wash game, but not so much after Indy. Too often l see Corbett out of position or getting steered instead of being the guy doing the steering. 

    Forbes on the other hand continues to look ok to me at RG. Both Corbett and Forbes have gotten a chunk of playing time alongside each other, and they seem to work in tandem on a number of plays, passing guys off and combo blocking.

    On one play damn near the whole OL got sucked under for a Blough sack, except for Forbes who was up front keeping his guy out of the backfield. He whiffed on one block, but Corbett picked him up on another play. Forbes will get knocked back but seems to regain his position pretty quickly. I think he’s got the goods but still needs seasoning. 

    I'm listening to a post game podcast now and the guy speaking loves OL play and said Forbes more than held his own. Not stellar or anything, but definitely not a poor showing whatsoever. 

    I'm regards to Corbett, the podcast (Dawgs by Nature) goes onto to say that they don't understand the logic behind the pick. Was he supposed to be our LT? Were we hoping for Guard, or did we think Center all along? Their point is that you don't want to select a guy at #33 overall if he doesn't have a solidified position, and I get their point. Nobody is ever going to hit 100% on picks, but many of us weren't happy with Corbett AND Chad Thomas, and you can miss on picks, but you really have to crap the bed when your #33 pick can't even find a spot on a roster in year two. That's just crazy talk. However, in Thomas' defense, I have been hearing that he's made improvements, so maybe we'll get to see him after the terrific news of his recent injury not being serious. 

  • Top OG prospects for next year:

    https://walterfootball.com/draft2020OG.php

  • I think he is going places. 

    Like... Elsewhere.

  • Right.....dont see it with this guy and agree with those who think he doesnt have the right mind set to be a badass in the NFL.....HE seems like a bit of a pussy to me......I have nothing to base that on except a hunch.....

  • Right.....dont see it with this guy and agree with those who think he doesnt have the right mind set to be a badass in the NFL.....HE seems like a bit of a pussy to me......I have nothing to base that on except a hunch.....

    @mudfly said:

    Right.....dont see it with this guy and agree with those who think he doesnt have the right mind set to be a badass in the NFL.....HE seems like a bit of a pussy to me......I have nothing to base that on except a hunch.....

    That is exactly what I thought Mud..... I'm just not seeing this mean , nasty streak he supposedly had in college.... And yes.. a pussy.. you nailed it.. Hes another John Reinstra or Greg Rackozy in the making...

  • I can understand the frustration with Corbett, but he has had little experience, so to just expect him to be good already because of his Draft position isn't fair to the guy. Especially when realizing he is moving around and the techniques for each position are different. Dorsey or any other GM aren't going to take someone they think will fail. It would only make sense that the thought was he wouldn't be available later. As for taking Corbett before Chubb, since it seems as though Austin was who the Browns wanted for an OL pick, they made the smart decision to draft him 1st. There was 1 pick in between their 2 picks, and the Giants had just drafted Saquon, which means they weren't going to draft Chubb. So they got both players they wanted (whether they work out or not), but if they had taken the better player at the present they could have been with only one of them.

    I'm not saying Corbett was a great pick, or 1 that I would have made. But the expectations don't seem fair. There are plenty of examples of guys who have played sparingly and struggled early only to become really good players, and there are examples of guys who have started quickly, had plenty of experience and struggled early and went on to have pretty good careers, and then of course the guys who are busts.

    The Browns timeline to compete has come quickly, but that doesn't mean that every player progresses at the same rate. And it seems extremely harsh to label him a "p***y" because he hasn't progressed as fast as wanted. Not one person playing the game is that, and even if he isnt as mean as one thought or expected, doesn't make him that.

  • true. We all just have our impressions. He could turn the corner and be fine. Moving him around seems tough

    for him to just play one position, learn it and try to get very good at it.

  • I'm getting this vibe that Corbett never was... And never will be.. Time will tell.. But there is not much time left on him...

  • I can understand the frustration with Corbett, but he has had little experience, so to just expect him to be good already because of his Draft position isn't fair to the guy. Especially when realizing he is moving around and the techniques for each position are different. Dorsey or any other GM aren't going to take someone they think will fail. It would only make sense that the thought was he wouldn't be available later. As for taking Corbett before Chubb, since it seems as though Austin was who the Browns wanted for an OL pick, they made the smart decision to draft him 1st. There was 1 pick in between their 2 picks, and the Giants had just drafted Saquon, which means they weren't going to draft Chubb. So they got both players they wanted (whether they work out or not), but if they had taken the better player at the present they could have been with only one of them.

    I'm not saying Corbett was a great pick, or 1 that I would have made. But the expectations don't seem fair. There are plenty of examples of guys who have played sparingly and struggled early only to become really good players, and there are examples of guys who have started quickly, had plenty of experience and struggled early and went on to have pretty good careers, and then of course the guys who are busts.

    The Browns timeline to compete has come quickly, but that doesn't mean that every player progresses at the same rate. And it seems extremely harsh to label him a "p***y" because he hasn't progressed as fast as wanted. Not one person playing the game is that, and even if he isnt as mean as one thought or expected, doesn't make him that.

    @gunz41 said:

    I can understand the frustration with Corbett, but he has had little experience, so to just expect him to be good already because of his Draft position isn't fair to the guy. Especially when realizing he is moving around and the techniques for each position are different. Dorsey or any other GM aren't going to take someone they think will fail. It would only make sense that the thought was he wouldn't be available later. As for taking Corbett before Chubb, since it seems as though Austin was who the Browns wanted for an OL pick, they made the smart decision to draft him 1st. There was 1 pick in between their 2 picks, and the Giants had just drafted Saquon, which means they weren't going to draft Chubb. So they got both players they wanted (whether they work out or not), but if they had taken the better player at the present they could have been with only one of them.

    I'm not saying Corbett was a great pick, or 1 that I would have made. But the expectations don't seem fair. There are plenty of examples of guys who have played sparingly and struggled early only to become really good players, and there are examples of guys who have started quickly, had plenty of experience and struggled early and went on to have pretty good careers, and then of course the guys who are busts.

    The Browns timeline to compete has come quickly, but that doesn't mean that every player progresses at the same rate. And it seems extremely harsh to label him a "p***y" because he hasn't progressed as fast as wanted. Not one person playing the game is that, and even if he isnt as mean as one thought or expected, doesn't make him that.

    I think that’s very well said Gunz. Definitely some truth in there. I suppose the devil lies in where do you draw the line and justify keeping and stashing a guy on the 53 while still “developing him.”

    The dudes in the locker room sees what’s up. They could probably vote on a final 53 and it would be received with approval. Think Corbett has cut it in their eyes?

  • I can understand the frustration with Corbett, but he has had little experience, so to just expect him to be good already because of his Draft position isn't fair to the guy. Especially when realizing he is moving around and the techniques for each position are different. Dorsey or any other GM aren't going to take someone they think will fail. It would only make sense that the thought was he wouldn't be available later. As for taking Corbett before Chubb, since it seems as though Austin was who the Browns wanted for an OL pick, they made the smart decision to draft him 1st. There was 1 pick in between their 2 picks, and the Giants had just drafted Saquon, which means they weren't going to draft Chubb. So they got both players they wanted (whether they work out or not), but if they had taken the better player at the present they could have been with only one of them.

    I'm not saying Corbett was a great pick, or 1 that I would have made. But the expectations don't seem fair. There are plenty of examples of guys who have played sparingly and struggled early only to become really good players, and there are examples of guys who have started quickly, had plenty of experience and struggled early and went on to have pretty good careers, and then of course the guys who are busts.

    The Browns timeline to compete has come quickly, but that doesn't mean that every player progresses at the same rate. And it seems extremely harsh to label him a "p***y" because he hasn't progressed as fast as wanted. Not one person playing the game is that, and even if he isnt as mean as one thought or expected, doesn't make him that.

    @gunz41 said:

    The Browns timeline to compete has come quickly, but that doesn't mean that every player progresses at the same rate. And it seems extremely harsh to label him a "p***y" because he hasn't progressed as fast as wanted. Not one person playing the game is that, and even if he isnt as mean as one thought or expected, doesn't make him that.

    I've seen others try to say that the Browns are now looking at Corbett as the eventual replacement for Tretter… Seems like wishful thinking.

    And I'd love to meet some of the guys on here who like to throw the word "pussy" out on the regular to describe certain professional football players. Who knew this board had such a collection of badasses? ?

  • I can understand the frustration with Corbett, but he has had little experience, so to just expect him to be good already because of his Draft position isn't fair to the guy. Especially when realizing he is moving around and the techniques for each position are different. Dorsey or any other GM aren't going to take someone they think will fail. It would only make sense that the thought was he wouldn't be available later. As for taking Corbett before Chubb, since it seems as though Austin was who the Browns wanted for an OL pick, they made the smart decision to draft him 1st. There was 1 pick in between their 2 picks, and the Giants had just drafted Saquon, which means they weren't going to draft Chubb. So they got both players they wanted (whether they work out or not), but if they had taken the better player at the present they could have been with only one of them.

    I'm not saying Corbett was a great pick, or 1 that I would have made. But the expectations don't seem fair. There are plenty of examples of guys who have played sparingly and struggled early only to become really good players, and there are examples of guys who have started quickly, had plenty of experience and struggled early and went on to have pretty good careers, and then of course the guys who are busts.

    The Browns timeline to compete has come quickly, but that doesn't mean that every player progresses at the same rate. And it seems extremely harsh to label him a "p***y" because he hasn't progressed as fast as wanted. Not one person playing the game is that, and even if he isnt as mean as one thought or expected, doesn't make him that.

    @gunz41 said:

    I can understand the frustration with Corbett, but he has had little experience, so to just expect him to be good already because of his Draft position isn't fair to the guy. Especially when realizing he is moving around and the techniques for each position are different. Dorsey or any other GM aren't going to take someone they think will fail. It would only make sense that the thought was he wouldn't be available later. As for taking Corbett before Chubb, since it seems as though Austin was who the Browns wanted for an OL pick, they made the smart decision to draft him 1st. There was 1 pick in between their 2 picks, and the Giants had just drafted Saquon, which means they weren't going to draft Chubb. So they got both players they wanted (whether they work out or not), but if they had taken the better player at the present they could have been with only one of them.

    I'm not saying Corbett was a great pick, or 1 that I would have made. But the expectations don't seem fair. There are plenty of examples of guys who have played sparingly and struggled early only to become really good players, and there are examples of guys who have started quickly, had plenty of experience and struggled early and went on to have pretty good careers, and then of course the guys who are busts.

    The Browns timeline to compete has come quickly, but that doesn't mean that every player progresses at the same rate. And it seems extremely harsh to label him a "p***y" because he hasn't progressed as fast as wanted. Not one person playing the game is that, and even if he isnt as mean as one thought or expected, doesn't make him that.

    The problem in the 2018 draft is, a lot of us wanted Hernandez, who the Giants got one pick later, and is their starting guard. OK left guard, and I'm not an OL expert enough to say he could have switched over to right guard.  

  • @gunz41 said:

    The Browns timeline to compete has come quickly, but that doesn't mean that every player progresses at the same rate. And it seems extremely harsh to label him a "p***y" because he hasn't progressed as fast as wanted. Not one person playing the game is that, and even if he isnt as mean as one thought or expected, doesn't make him that.

    I've seen others try to say that the Browns are now looking at Corbett as the eventual replacement for Tretter… Seems like wishful thinking.

    And I'd love to meet some of the guys on here who like to throw the word "pussy" out on the regular to describe certain professional football players. Who knew this board had such a collection of badasses? ?

    @dutch-oven said:

    I've seen others try to say that the Browns are now looking at Corbett as the eventual replacement for Tretter… Seems like wishful thinking.

    And I'd love to meet some of the guys on here who like to throw the word "pussy" out on the regular to describe certain professional football players. Who knew this board had such a collection of badasses? ?

    Well yeah... I'm badass!... But maybe not in the way you're thinking :P.. All kidding aside... I'm just not feeling it with Corbs.. I mean this is his 2nd season.. And he should be at least showing something to at least merit him being picked..... I'm not seeing it at all!!

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I've seen others try to say that the Browns are now looking at Corbett as the eventual replacement for Tretter… Seems like wishful thinking.

    And I'd love to meet some of the guys on here who like to throw the word "pussy" out on the regular to describe certain professional football players. Who knew this board had such a collection of badasses? ?

    Well yeah... I'm badass!... But maybe not in the way you're thinking :P.. All kidding aside... I'm just not feeling it with Corbs.. I mean this is his 2nd season.. And he should be at least showing something to at least merit him being picked..... I'm not seeing it at all!!

    @nickers said:

    Well yeah... I'm badass!... But maybe not in the way you're thinking :P.. All kidding aside... I'm just not feeling it with Corbs.. I mean this is his 2nd season.. And he should be at least showing something to at least merit him being picked..... I'm not seeing it at all!!

    I agree, it isn't looking good for Dorsey on this one. He'll probably stick around for another season because he was a Dorsey pick... 

  • @nickers said:

    Well yeah... I'm badass!... But maybe not in the way you're thinking :P.. All kidding aside... I'm just not feeling it with Corbs.. I mean this is his 2nd season.. And he should be at least showing something to at least merit him being picked..... I'm not seeing it at all!!

    I agree, it isn't looking good for Dorsey on this one. He'll probably stick around for another season because he was a Dorsey pick... 

    @dutch-oven said:

    He'll probably stick around for another season because he was a Dorsey pick..

    ...and a high pick at that.

    It's been said many times before, They had ALL NIGHT to think about the pick.  Perhaps if they only had 10 minutes they wouldn't have overthought it.

    I'm pretty much giving up hope in Corbett...and calling it a whiff....and that no GM is gonna bat a thousand.  I do not, however, think he gets cut....only because he's the 33rd pick and as Dutch said, He gets another season.

  • If your not getting it by year 3... You don't belong in the NFL... PERIOD!