Skip to content

Time Running Out for Austin Corbett

The Browns Board
61 24 2.2k 1
  • I was actually reasonably pleased with Corbett after the Wash game, but not so much after Indy. Too often l see Corbett out of position or getting steered instead of being the guy doing the steering. 

    Forbes on the other hand continues to look ok to me at RG. Both Corbett and Forbes have gotten a chunk of playing time alongside each other, and they seem to work in tandem on a number of plays, passing guys off and combo blocking.

    On one play damn near the whole OL got sucked under for a Blough sack, except for Forbes who was up front keeping his guy out of the backfield. He whiffed on one block, but Corbett picked him up on another play. Forbes will get knocked back but seems to regain his position pretty quickly. I think he’s got the goods but still needs seasoning. 

    jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by jiggins7919
    #11

    @ibleedbrown said:

    I was actually reasonably pleased with Corbett after the Wash game, but not so much after Indy. Too often l see Corbett out of position or getting steered instead of being the guy doing the steering. 

    Forbes on the other hand continues to look ok to me at RG. Both Corbett and Forbes have gotten a chunk of playing time alongside each other, and they seem to work in tandem on a number of plays, passing guys off and combo blocking.

    On one play damn near the whole OL got sucked under for a Blough sack, except for Forbes who was up front keeping his guy out of the backfield. He whiffed on one block, but Corbett picked him up on another play. Forbes will get knocked back but seems to regain his position pretty quickly. I think he’s got the goods but still needs seasoning. 

    I'm listening to a post game podcast now and the guy speaking loves OL play and said Forbes more than held his own. Not stellar or anything, but definitely not a poor showing whatsoever. 

    I'm regards to Corbett, the podcast (Dawgs by Nature) goes onto to say that they don't understand the logic behind the pick. Was he supposed to be our LT? Were we hoping for Guard, or did we think Center all along? Their point is that you don't want to select a guy at #33 overall if he doesn't have a solidified position, and I get their point. Nobody is ever going to hit 100% on picks, but many of us weren't happy with Corbett AND Chad Thomas, and you can miss on picks, but you really have to crap the bed when your #33 pick can't even find a spot on a roster in year two. That's just crazy talk. However, in Thomas' defense, I have been hearing that he's made improvements, so maybe we'll get to see him after the terrific news of his recent injury not being serious. 

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #12

    Top OG prospects for next year:

    https://walterfootball.com/draft2020OG.php

  • NeroN Nero wrote on last edited by
    #13

    I think he is going places. 

    Like... Elsewhere.

  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #14

    Right.....dont see it with this guy and agree with those who think he doesnt have the right mind set to be a badass in the NFL.....HE seems like a bit of a pussy to me......I have nothing to base that on except a hunch.....

  • Right.....dont see it with this guy and agree with those who think he doesnt have the right mind set to be a badass in the NFL.....HE seems like a bit of a pussy to me......I have nothing to base that on except a hunch.....

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @mudfly said:

    Right.....dont see it with this guy and agree with those who think he doesnt have the right mind set to be a badass in the NFL.....HE seems like a bit of a pussy to me......I have nothing to base that on except a hunch.....

    That is exactly what I thought Mud..... I'm just not seeing this mean , nasty streak he supposedly had in college.... And yes.. a pussy.. you nailed it.. Hes another John Reinstra or Greg Rackozy in the making...

  • Gunz41G Gunz41 wrote on last edited by
    #16

    I can understand the frustration with Corbett, but he has had little experience, so to just expect him to be good already because of his Draft position isn't fair to the guy. Especially when realizing he is moving around and the techniques for each position are different. Dorsey or any other GM aren't going to take someone they think will fail. It would only make sense that the thought was he wouldn't be available later. As for taking Corbett before Chubb, since it seems as though Austin was who the Browns wanted for an OL pick, they made the smart decision to draft him 1st. There was 1 pick in between their 2 picks, and the Giants had just drafted Saquon, which means they weren't going to draft Chubb. So they got both players they wanted (whether they work out or not), but if they had taken the better player at the present they could have been with only one of them.

    I'm not saying Corbett was a great pick, or 1 that I would have made. But the expectations don't seem fair. There are plenty of examples of guys who have played sparingly and struggled early only to become really good players, and there are examples of guys who have started quickly, had plenty of experience and struggled early and went on to have pretty good careers, and then of course the guys who are busts.

    The Browns timeline to compete has come quickly, but that doesn't mean that every player progresses at the same rate. And it seems extremely harsh to label him a "p***y" because he hasn't progressed as fast as wanted. Not one person playing the game is that, and even if he isnt as mean as one thought or expected, doesn't make him that.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #17

    true. We all just have our impressions. He could turn the corner and be fine. Moving him around seems tough

    for him to just play one position, learn it and try to get very good at it.

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #18

    I'm getting this vibe that Corbett never was... And never will be.. Time will tell.. But there is not much time left on him...

  • I can understand the frustration with Corbett, but he has had little experience, so to just expect him to be good already because of his Draft position isn't fair to the guy. Especially when realizing he is moving around and the techniques for each position are different. Dorsey or any other GM aren't going to take someone they think will fail. It would only make sense that the thought was he wouldn't be available later. As for taking Corbett before Chubb, since it seems as though Austin was who the Browns wanted for an OL pick, they made the smart decision to draft him 1st. There was 1 pick in between their 2 picks, and the Giants had just drafted Saquon, which means they weren't going to draft Chubb. So they got both players they wanted (whether they work out or not), but if they had taken the better player at the present they could have been with only one of them.

    I'm not saying Corbett was a great pick, or 1 that I would have made. But the expectations don't seem fair. There are plenty of examples of guys who have played sparingly and struggled early only to become really good players, and there are examples of guys who have started quickly, had plenty of experience and struggled early and went on to have pretty good careers, and then of course the guys who are busts.

    The Browns timeline to compete has come quickly, but that doesn't mean that every player progresses at the same rate. And it seems extremely harsh to label him a "p***y" because he hasn't progressed as fast as wanted. Not one person playing the game is that, and even if he isnt as mean as one thought or expected, doesn't make him that.

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @gunz41 said:

    I can understand the frustration with Corbett, but he has had little experience, so to just expect him to be good already because of his Draft position isn't fair to the guy. Especially when realizing he is moving around and the techniques for each position are different. Dorsey or any other GM aren't going to take someone they think will fail. It would only make sense that the thought was he wouldn't be available later. As for taking Corbett before Chubb, since it seems as though Austin was who the Browns wanted for an OL pick, they made the smart decision to draft him 1st. There was 1 pick in between their 2 picks, and the Giants had just drafted Saquon, which means they weren't going to draft Chubb. So they got both players they wanted (whether they work out or not), but if they had taken the better player at the present they could have been with only one of them.

    I'm not saying Corbett was a great pick, or 1 that I would have made. But the expectations don't seem fair. There are plenty of examples of guys who have played sparingly and struggled early only to become really good players, and there are examples of guys who have started quickly, had plenty of experience and struggled early and went on to have pretty good careers, and then of course the guys who are busts.

    The Browns timeline to compete has come quickly, but that doesn't mean that every player progresses at the same rate. And it seems extremely harsh to label him a "p***y" because he hasn't progressed as fast as wanted. Not one person playing the game is that, and even if he isnt as mean as one thought or expected, doesn't make him that.

    I think that’s very well said Gunz. Definitely some truth in there. I suppose the devil lies in where do you draw the line and justify keeping and stashing a guy on the 53 while still “developing him.”

    The dudes in the locker room sees what’s up. They could probably vote on a final 53 and it would be received with approval. Think Corbett has cut it in their eyes?

  • I can understand the frustration with Corbett, but he has had little experience, so to just expect him to be good already because of his Draft position isn't fair to the guy. Especially when realizing he is moving around and the techniques for each position are different. Dorsey or any other GM aren't going to take someone they think will fail. It would only make sense that the thought was he wouldn't be available later. As for taking Corbett before Chubb, since it seems as though Austin was who the Browns wanted for an OL pick, they made the smart decision to draft him 1st. There was 1 pick in between their 2 picks, and the Giants had just drafted Saquon, which means they weren't going to draft Chubb. So they got both players they wanted (whether they work out or not), but if they had taken the better player at the present they could have been with only one of them.

    I'm not saying Corbett was a great pick, or 1 that I would have made. But the expectations don't seem fair. There are plenty of examples of guys who have played sparingly and struggled early only to become really good players, and there are examples of guys who have started quickly, had plenty of experience and struggled early and went on to have pretty good careers, and then of course the guys who are busts.

    The Browns timeline to compete has come quickly, but that doesn't mean that every player progresses at the same rate. And it seems extremely harsh to label him a "p***y" because he hasn't progressed as fast as wanted. Not one person playing the game is that, and even if he isnt as mean as one thought or expected, doesn't make him that.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @gunz41 said:

    The Browns timeline to compete has come quickly, but that doesn't mean that every player progresses at the same rate. And it seems extremely harsh to label him a "p***y" because he hasn't progressed as fast as wanted. Not one person playing the game is that, and even if he isnt as mean as one thought or expected, doesn't make him that.

    I've seen others try to say that the Browns are now looking at Corbett as the eventual replacement for Tretter… Seems like wishful thinking.

    And I'd love to meet some of the guys on here who like to throw the word "pussy" out on the regular to describe certain professional football players. Who knew this board had such a collection of badasses? ?

  • I can understand the frustration with Corbett, but he has had little experience, so to just expect him to be good already because of his Draft position isn't fair to the guy. Especially when realizing he is moving around and the techniques for each position are different. Dorsey or any other GM aren't going to take someone they think will fail. It would only make sense that the thought was he wouldn't be available later. As for taking Corbett before Chubb, since it seems as though Austin was who the Browns wanted for an OL pick, they made the smart decision to draft him 1st. There was 1 pick in between their 2 picks, and the Giants had just drafted Saquon, which means they weren't going to draft Chubb. So they got both players they wanted (whether they work out or not), but if they had taken the better player at the present they could have been with only one of them.

    I'm not saying Corbett was a great pick, or 1 that I would have made. But the expectations don't seem fair. There are plenty of examples of guys who have played sparingly and struggled early only to become really good players, and there are examples of guys who have started quickly, had plenty of experience and struggled early and went on to have pretty good careers, and then of course the guys who are busts.

    The Browns timeline to compete has come quickly, but that doesn't mean that every player progresses at the same rate. And it seems extremely harsh to label him a "p***y" because he hasn't progressed as fast as wanted. Not one person playing the game is that, and even if he isnt as mean as one thought or expected, doesn't make him that.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @gunz41 said:

    I can understand the frustration with Corbett, but he has had little experience, so to just expect him to be good already because of his Draft position isn't fair to the guy. Especially when realizing he is moving around and the techniques for each position are different. Dorsey or any other GM aren't going to take someone they think will fail. It would only make sense that the thought was he wouldn't be available later. As for taking Corbett before Chubb, since it seems as though Austin was who the Browns wanted for an OL pick, they made the smart decision to draft him 1st. There was 1 pick in between their 2 picks, and the Giants had just drafted Saquon, which means they weren't going to draft Chubb. So they got both players they wanted (whether they work out or not), but if they had taken the better player at the present they could have been with only one of them.

    I'm not saying Corbett was a great pick, or 1 that I would have made. But the expectations don't seem fair. There are plenty of examples of guys who have played sparingly and struggled early only to become really good players, and there are examples of guys who have started quickly, had plenty of experience and struggled early and went on to have pretty good careers, and then of course the guys who are busts.

    The Browns timeline to compete has come quickly, but that doesn't mean that every player progresses at the same rate. And it seems extremely harsh to label him a "p***y" because he hasn't progressed as fast as wanted. Not one person playing the game is that, and even if he isnt as mean as one thought or expected, doesn't make him that.

    The problem in the 2018 draft is, a lot of us wanted Hernandez, who the Giants got one pick later, and is their starting guard. OK left guard, and I'm not an OL expert enough to say he could have switched over to right guard.  

  • @gunz41 said:

    The Browns timeline to compete has come quickly, but that doesn't mean that every player progresses at the same rate. And it seems extremely harsh to label him a "p***y" because he hasn't progressed as fast as wanted. Not one person playing the game is that, and even if he isnt as mean as one thought or expected, doesn't make him that.

    I've seen others try to say that the Browns are now looking at Corbett as the eventual replacement for Tretter… Seems like wishful thinking.

    And I'd love to meet some of the guys on here who like to throw the word "pussy" out on the regular to describe certain professional football players. Who knew this board had such a collection of badasses? ?

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by nickers
    #22

    @dutch-oven said:

    I've seen others try to say that the Browns are now looking at Corbett as the eventual replacement for Tretter… Seems like wishful thinking.

    And I'd love to meet some of the guys on here who like to throw the word "pussy" out on the regular to describe certain professional football players. Who knew this board had such a collection of badasses? ?

    Well yeah... I'm badass!... But maybe not in the way you're thinking :P.. All kidding aside... I'm just not feeling it with Corbs.. I mean this is his 2nd season.. And he should be at least showing something to at least merit him being picked..... I'm not seeing it at all!!

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I've seen others try to say that the Browns are now looking at Corbett as the eventual replacement for Tretter… Seems like wishful thinking.

    And I'd love to meet some of the guys on here who like to throw the word "pussy" out on the regular to describe certain professional football players. Who knew this board had such a collection of badasses? ?

    Well yeah... I'm badass!... But maybe not in the way you're thinking :P.. All kidding aside... I'm just not feeling it with Corbs.. I mean this is his 2nd season.. And he should be at least showing something to at least merit him being picked..... I'm not seeing it at all!!

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @nickers said:

    Well yeah... I'm badass!... But maybe not in the way you're thinking :P.. All kidding aside... I'm just not feeling it with Corbs.. I mean this is his 2nd season.. And he should be at least showing something to at least merit him being picked..... I'm not seeing it at all!!

    I agree, it isn't looking good for Dorsey on this one. He'll probably stick around for another season because he was a Dorsey pick... 

  • @nickers said:

    Well yeah... I'm badass!... But maybe not in the way you're thinking :P.. All kidding aside... I'm just not feeling it with Corbs.. I mean this is his 2nd season.. And he should be at least showing something to at least merit him being picked..... I'm not seeing it at all!!

    I agree, it isn't looking good for Dorsey on this one. He'll probably stick around for another season because he was a Dorsey pick... 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @dutch-oven said:

    He'll probably stick around for another season because he was a Dorsey pick..

    ...and a high pick at that.

    It's been said many times before, They had ALL NIGHT to think about the pick.  Perhaps if they only had 10 minutes they wouldn't have overthought it.

    I'm pretty much giving up hope in Corbett...and calling it a whiff....and that no GM is gonna bat a thousand.  I do not, however, think he gets cut....only because he's the 33rd pick and as Dutch said, He gets another season.

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #25

    If your not getting it by year 3... You don't belong in the NFL... PERIOD!

  • If your not getting it by year 3... You don't belong in the NFL... PERIOD!

    medicinemanM medicineman wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @nickers said:

    If your not getting it by year 3... You don't belong in the NFL... PERIOD!

    I say by half way thru season 2, If you still make "Rookie mistakes" Then you don't belong 

  • EastSideDawgE EastSideDawg wrote on last edited by
    #27

    i think dorsey is banking on "Finding" him a place on the line. it appears to be at center and with dorsey's ego i hope he doesnt let JC.tretter walk in free agency and replace him with corbett.

    If i had to bet tho i think that is going to happen.

  • If your not getting it by year 3... You don't belong in the NFL... PERIOD!

    chocoC choco wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @nickers said:

    If your not getting it by year 3... You don't belong in the NFL... PERIOD!

    Cool..being that hes only going into year 2, you already seem to have jumped the shark

  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #29

    It's not helping that he's getting the Cam Erving treatment.

    He was a LT in college...so they try him there....he doesn't appear to be an NFL LT....so they switch him over to G on the other side of the line...he's not progressing fast enough over there so they move him to C.

    I understand that they're TRYING to find a spot that he seems to have some competency at....but that didn't work well for Erving and it seems Corbett is also one of those guys that need more time to learn the NFL game.  Now that they've tried him everywhere, they should pick a spot and try to improve him there.   

  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #30

    I dont think theyre moving him around too much.....He was never going to play tackle in the NFL and was immediately placed at guard after we drafted him. If you recall, we experimented with him at LG, while Bito was moved outside.....when he couldnt hang, we moved him to the right(because Bito is the man on the left) and tried him there all of last year and early in this TC.....but he wasnt getting it....sooooooo, we are giving him a shot at C.

    So, at least in my mind, he's has a full season plus a second TC to get the RG position locked up and he has failed......so, the only other option is to try C before cutting him....

    Erving came to us a a multi-position player straight out of college....there he played one year as a Defensive tackle.....1 year as an offensive tackle.....and finished his senior year as a C. So, he came to us as someone who was "supposed" to be ultra versatile and able to move around the line easily.......we tried him at guard and he stunk, so we tried him at center......he stunk there too

    So, we can blame the coaches for trying them in a couple spots each....or.....we can accept that neither one of them performed well at their chosen position or seized their opportunities, when they were presented....