Time Running Out for Austin Corbett
-
I dont think theyre moving him around too much.....He was never going to play tackle in the NFL and was immediately placed at guard after we drafted him. If you recall, we experimented with him at LG, while Bito was moved outside.....when he couldnt hang, we moved him to the right(because Bito is the man on the left) and tried him there all of last year and early in this TC.....but he wasnt getting it....sooooooo, we are giving him a shot at C.
So, at least in my mind, he's has a full season plus a second TC to get the RG position locked up and he has failed......so, the only other option is to try C before cutting him....
Erving came to us a a multi-position player straight out of college....there he played one year as a Defensive tackle.....1 year as an offensive tackle.....and finished his senior year as a C. So, he came to us as someone who was "supposed" to be ultra versatile and able to move around the line easily.......we tried him at guard and he stunk, so we tried him at center......he stunk there too
So, we can blame the coaches for trying them in a couple spots each....or.....we can accept that neither one of them performed well at their chosen position or seized their opportunities, when they were presented....
-
I dont think theyre moving him around too much.....He was never going to play tackle in the NFL and was immediately placed at guard after we drafted him. If you recall, we experimented with him at LG, while Bito was moved outside.....when he couldnt hang, we moved him to the right(because Bito is the man on the left) and tried him there all of last year and early in this TC.....but he wasnt getting it....sooooooo, we are giving him a shot at C.
So, at least in my mind, he's has a full season plus a second TC to get the RG position locked up and he has failed......so, the only other option is to try C before cutting him....
Erving came to us a a multi-position player straight out of college....there he played one year as a Defensive tackle.....1 year as an offensive tackle.....and finished his senior year as a C. So, he came to us as someone who was "supposed" to be ultra versatile and able to move around the line easily.......we tried him at guard and he stunk, so we tried him at center......he stunk there too
So, we can blame the coaches for trying them in a couple spots each....or.....we can accept that neither one of them performed well at their chosen position or seized their opportunities, when they were presented....
Erving came to us a a multi-position player straight out of college....there he played one year as a Defensive tackle.....1 year as an offensive tackle.....and finished his senior year as a C
He played 5 games at center in his college career. (after watching him play here, It's hard to believe he's playing for anyone)
Perhaps we can trade Corbett to the Chiefs. (I forgot about his brief stint at LG)
-
Other trade options would be any team with serious OL issues such as the guys at the south end of I-71, or the Raiders.
-
I thought then and I still think now that this was an even worse "reach" than Ticotaco before Wilson.
-
I'll clarify a few statements.
I'm not saying he is moving around too much, I'm saying that moving around and being able to succeed in that job takes time.
I'm also not saying he will eventually get it, or be good. But any expectations on him are not his fault. Where he was drafted is not his fault. The main reason that people are calling for his head is the expedited timeline for the Browns. Everyone here is quick to judge, off of a rookie season (with little playing time) and 2 preseason games. But here is a list.
Rashaan Salaam, Ickey Woods, Lawrence Dawsey, Michael Clayton, Kendrell Bell, Vince Young, Steve Slaton, John Stephens, Robert Griffin III, Cadillac Williams
Jadeveon Clowney, Jared Goff, Cris Carter, Roddy White, Alex Smith, Wes Welker, Melvin Gordon, Troy Aikman, Terry Bradshaw
The 1st list is guys who ended up with their 1st year as their best (one year wonder). The 2nd list is guys who had bad 1st years. Some were considered busts after that year.
Hoorta, it wasn't you I don't believe, but the reason I spoke about his Draft position was because someone was talking about taking him before Chubb and how stupid it was. That part wasn't about Corbett in particular, but saying taking someone over Chubb. The point of doing that was that the Giants weren't going for a RB, so get the OL you want AND Chubb.
-
I'll clarify a few statements.
I'm not saying he is moving around too much, I'm saying that moving around and being able to succeed in that job takes time.
I'm also not saying he will eventually get it, or be good. But any expectations on him are not his fault. Where he was drafted is not his fault. The main reason that people are calling for his head is the expedited timeline for the Browns. Everyone here is quick to judge, off of a rookie season (with little playing time) and 2 preseason games. But here is a list.
Rashaan Salaam, Ickey Woods, Lawrence Dawsey, Michael Clayton, Kendrell Bell, Vince Young, Steve Slaton, John Stephens, Robert Griffin III, Cadillac Williams
Jadeveon Clowney, Jared Goff, Cris Carter, Roddy White, Alex Smith, Wes Welker, Melvin Gordon, Troy Aikman, Terry Bradshaw
The 1st list is guys who ended up with their 1st year as their best (one year wonder). The 2nd list is guys who had bad 1st years. Some were considered busts after that year.
Hoorta, it wasn't you I don't believe, but the reason I spoke about his Draft position was because someone was talking about taking him before Chubb and how stupid it was. That part wasn't about Corbett in particular, but saying taking someone over Chubb. The point of doing that was that the Giants weren't going for a RB, so get the OL you want AND Chubb.
I'll clarify a few statements.
I'm not saying he is moving around too much, I'm saying that moving around and being able to succeed in that job takes time.
I'm also not saying he will eventually get it, or be good. But any expectations on him are not his fault. Where he was drafted is not his fault. The main reason that people are calling for his head is the expedited timeline for the Browns. Everyone here is quick to judge, off of a rookie season (with little playing time) and 2 preseason games. But here is a list.
Rashaan Salaam, Ickey Woods, Lawrence Dawsey, Michael Clayton, Kendrell Bell, Vince Young, Steve Slaton, John Stephens, Robert Griffin III, Cadillac Williams
Jadeveon Clowney, Jared Goff, Cris Carter, Roddy White, Alex Smith, Wes Welker, Melvin Gordon, Troy Aikman, Terry Bradshaw
The 1st list is guys who ended up with their 1st year as their best (one year wonder). The 2nd list is guys who had bad 1st years. Some were considered busts after that year.
Hoorta, it wasn't you I don't believe, but the reason I spoke about his Draft position was because someone was talking about taking him before Chubb and how stupid it was. That part wasn't about Corbett in particular, but saying taking someone over Chubb. The point of doing that was that the Giants weren't going for a RB, so get the OL you want AND Chubb.
It might have been me- but right now, most folks would prefer having Hernandez over Corbett, yes? And there certainly could have been the possibility of either Tampa or Detroit (who both took running backs in the second round- OK I had to look) swinging a trade with the Giants to move up and draft Chubb if they valued him higher than we did. In that regard, we got lucky.
-
-
-
-
I'm down like syndrome. How do we make this happen?
Rumors are the LA Chargers want to make this happen too..Another high draft pick won't hurt us..We can't keep getting much younger? Winning window is now open for 2 years..Throw in a hot personal nurse ?to our medical staff for Williams..We can wrap this thing up
..
-
I'll clarify a few statements.
I'm not saying he is moving around too much, I'm saying that moving around and being able to succeed in that job takes time.
I'm also not saying he will eventually get it, or be good. But any expectations on him are not his fault. Where he was drafted is not his fault. The main reason that people are calling for his head is the expedited timeline for the Browns. Everyone here is quick to judge, off of a rookie season (with little playing time) and 2 preseason games. But here is a list.
Rashaan Salaam, Ickey Woods, Lawrence Dawsey, Michael Clayton, Kendrell Bell, Vince Young, Steve Slaton, John Stephens, Robert Griffin III, Cadillac Williams
Jadeveon Clowney, Jared Goff, Cris Carter, Roddy White, Alex Smith, Wes Welker, Melvin Gordon, Troy Aikman, Terry Bradshaw
The 1st list is guys who ended up with their 1st year as their best (one year wonder). The 2nd list is guys who had bad 1st years. Some were considered busts after that year.
Hoorta, it wasn't you I don't believe, but the reason I spoke about his Draft position was because someone was talking about taking him before Chubb and how stupid it was. That part wasn't about Corbett in particular, but saying taking someone over Chubb. The point of doing that was that the Giants weren't going for a RB, so get the OL you want AND Chubb.
It might have been me- but right now, most folks would prefer having Hernandez over Corbett, yes? And there certainly could have been the possibility of either Tampa or Detroit (who both took running backs in the second round- OK I had to look) swinging a trade with the Giants to move up and draft Chubb if they valued him higher than we did. In that regard, we got lucky.
It might have been me- but right now, most folks would prefer having Hernandez over Corbett, yes? And there certainly could have been the possibility of either Tampa or Detroit (who both took running backs in the second round- OK I had to look) swinging a trade with the Giants to move up and draft Chubb if they valued him higher than we did. In that regard, we got lucky.
I'm still not saying he was the right pick, just the thinking behind it for going OL first.
And yes, a trade can always happen but that isn't something you can predict. And just as easily can see that Dorsey had talked to Gettleman.
One thing is for sure though, it doesn't mean a whole lot to say Hernandez is a starter in NY. Their line play has been atrocious haha
-
On Corbett...the only thing worse than making a bad pick is sticking with a bad pick. We will soon find out if Dorsey allows his ego to interfere with making sound football decisions.
-
On Corbett...the only thing worse than making a bad pick is sticking with a bad pick. We will soon find out if Dorsey allows his ego to interfere with making sound football decisions.
On Corbett...the only thing worse than making a bad pick is sticking with a bad pick. We will soon find out if Dorsey allows his ego to interfere with making sound football decisions.
He MAY be a bad pick. He has not played enough to be judged as of now.
Again, would you consider RG3 a bad pick? Most probably would, yet he was the Rookie of Year. One year (and in Austin case little time on field) and 2 preseason games doesn't give an answer.
Again, I am NOT saying he will be good or was the right pick. But there are NUMEROUS examples of guys needing some time to work, and there are NUMEROUS examples of guys who came out of the gates on fire and then fizzled out
-
One film analysis of the RG situation. Forbes has starter potential, but not this season.
-
On Corbett...the only thing worse than making a bad pick is sticking with a bad pick. We will soon find out if Dorsey allows his ego to interfere with making sound football decisions.
He MAY be a bad pick. He has not played enough to be judged as of now.
Again, would you consider RG3 a bad pick? Most probably would, yet he was the Rookie of Year. One year (and in Austin case little time on field) and 2 preseason games doesn't give an answer.
Again, I am NOT saying he will be good or was the right pick. But there are NUMEROUS examples of guys needing some time to work, and there are NUMEROUS examples of guys who came out of the gates on fire and then fizzled out
He MAY be a bad pick. He has not played enough to be judged as of now.
Again, would you consider RG3 a bad pick? Most probably would, yet he was the Rookie of Year. One year (and in Austin case little time on field) and 2 preseason games doesn't give an answer.
Again, I am NOT saying he will be good or was the right pick. But there are NUMEROUS examples of guys needing some time to work, and there are NUMEROUS examples of guys who came out of the gates on fire and then fizzled out
Right....he could get better or he could be a bust.....I think everyone gets that and can agree to a point.
I see the examples you gave of both and my one argument would be that those other guys could at least get on the field.....most high picks(1st & 2nds for sure) get the benefit of the doubt and will get playing time to see where they are....in the case of Corbett, the fact that he cant even get a starting nod(when we have NO decent alternative) tells me he's pretty bad......Id say an average or even below average guy might get the start in this situation(no good alternate) .....but not so with Corbett....
So....until I hear(and see) otherwise, I have to assume he looks "terrible" to our coaching staff.....
How many guys on your list were so bad they were not even given a chance as a starter in their first 2 years.....any?
-
He MAY be a bad pick. He has not played enough to be judged as of now.
Again, would you consider RG3 a bad pick? Most probably would, yet he was the Rookie of Year. One year (and in Austin case little time on field) and 2 preseason games doesn't give an answer.
Again, I am NOT saying he will be good or was the right pick. But there are NUMEROUS examples of guys needing some time to work, and there are NUMEROUS examples of guys who came out of the gates on fire and then fizzled out
Right....he could get better or he could be a bust.....I think everyone gets that and can agree to a point.
I see the examples you gave of both and my one argument would be that those other guys could at least get on the field.....most high picks(1st & 2nds for sure) get the benefit of the doubt and will get playing time to see where they are....in the case of Corbett, the fact that he cant even get a starting nod(when we have NO decent alternative) tells me he's pretty bad......Id say an average or even below average guy might get the start in this situation(no good alternate) .....but not so with Corbett....
So....until I hear(and see) otherwise, I have to assume he looks "terrible" to our coaching staff.....
How many guys on your list were so bad they were not even given a chance as a starter in their first 2 years.....any?
Right....he could get better or he could be a bust.....I think everyone gets that and can agree to a point.
I see the examples you gave of both and my one argument would be that those other guys could at least get on the field.....most high picks(1st & 2nds for sure) get the benefit of the doubt and will get playing time to see where they are....in the case of Corbett, the fact that he cant even get a starting nod(when we have NO decent alternative) tells me he's pretty bad......Id say an average or even below average guy might get the start in this situation(no good alternate) .....but not so with Corbett....
So....until I hear(and see) otherwise, I have to assume he looks "terrible" to our coaching staff.....
How many guys on your list were so bad they were not even given a chance as a starter in their first 2 years.....any?
Ok, well some SHOULDN'T have been on field in 1st 2 years, and for different reasons some didn't see the field in 1st 2 seasons. And I didn't go through everyone, I didn't even look up drafts, I found a web page with 10 for each.
Again, you seem to be missing my bigger point. Anyone can say early they can be good or not good. The point is that while he may look bad/bust, that he could be someone who takes time to develop. We have certainly seen guys who ended up really good look bad in preseason and guys who have looked like studs in preseason end up out of the game quickly. And it certainly doesn't help the young man to get in a groove (if he can) when he is moving around without a set position.
Its not uncommon for guys with ability to sit early, as the coaches think a veteran presence will help more.
But go ahead and really think back and answer the other point honestly. If this were couple years ago when the team went 0-16 and a higher pick wasn't looking good would the talk be needing to get rid of him? If your answer is no, then you are wanting to expedite his maturation because of the lofty expectations for the team. And people can't just change themselves like that. I'm sure Corbett or anyone else would love to greatly improve every day from the start.
But take football out of it. Let's use a typical office job. I don't remember the guys exact snap number for last year I just remember it was low, let's use 30 as the example. Anyway, say you got a new job at a sales company. They sell multiple things. You have daily meetings and practice runs on how to sell whatever the product is. You are shadowing others to get the hang of it. You get 30 phone calls where you aren't being the assistant to the guy you are shadowing. You don't make a Sale in those 30 calls. You continue to work in the meetings on improving your salesmanship. Then as you are trying to improve and learn how to sell that product, you are moved to a different product. I'm not saying you will ever be a good salesman, but considering the circumstances I don't think that customers who for a good amount of time have no clue how to do your job, and are just a user of the product should say you suck at your job.
Hopefully that makes a little sense haha.
-
There are many players, GOOD to GREAT players, who have taken years to "get it" (can we say Kurt Warner?) I'm trusting (as always) Dorsey & staff with this call.
Mike
-
Right....he could get better or he could be a bust.....I think everyone gets that and can agree to a point.
I see the examples you gave of both and my one argument would be that those other guys could at least get on the field.....most high picks(1st & 2nds for sure) get the benefit of the doubt and will get playing time to see where they are....in the case of Corbett, the fact that he cant even get a starting nod(when we have NO decent alternative) tells me he's pretty bad......Id say an average or even below average guy might get the start in this situation(no good alternate) .....but not so with Corbett....
So....until I hear(and see) otherwise, I have to assume he looks "terrible" to our coaching staff.....
How many guys on your list were so bad they were not even given a chance as a starter in their first 2 years.....any?
Ok, well some SHOULDN'T have been on field in 1st 2 years, and for different reasons some didn't see the field in 1st 2 seasons. And I didn't go through everyone, I didn't even look up drafts, I found a web page with 10 for each.
Again, you seem to be missing my bigger point. Anyone can say early they can be good or not good. The point is that while he may look bad/bust, that he could be someone who takes time to develop. We have certainly seen guys who ended up really good look bad in preseason and guys who have looked like studs in preseason end up out of the game quickly. And it certainly doesn't help the young man to get in a groove (if he can) when he is moving around without a set position.
Its not uncommon for guys with ability to sit early, as the coaches think a veteran presence will help more.
But go ahead and really think back and answer the other point honestly. If this were couple years ago when the team went 0-16 and a higher pick wasn't looking good would the talk be needing to get rid of him? If your answer is no, then you are wanting to expedite his maturation because of the lofty expectations for the team. And people can't just change themselves like that. I'm sure Corbett or anyone else would love to greatly improve every day from the start.
But take football out of it. Let's use a typical office job. I don't remember the guys exact snap number for last year I just remember it was low, let's use 30 as the example. Anyway, say you got a new job at a sales company. They sell multiple things. You have daily meetings and practice runs on how to sell whatever the product is. You are shadowing others to get the hang of it. You get 30 phone calls where you aren't being the assistant to the guy you are shadowing. You don't make a Sale in those 30 calls. You continue to work in the meetings on improving your salesmanship. Then as you are trying to improve and learn how to sell that product, you are moved to a different product. I'm not saying you will ever be a good salesman, but considering the circumstances I don't think that customers who for a good amount of time have no clue how to do your job, and are just a user of the product should say you suck at your job.
Hopefully that makes a little sense haha.
O
Again, you seem to be missing my bigger point. Anyone can say early they can be good or not good. The point is that while he may look bad/bust, that he could be someone who takes time to develop.
I get that, but you'd hope it's a developmental guy(like a 5th rounder) and, I think everyone(including the team) has higher expectations for higher picks
Its not uncommon for guys with ability to sit early, as the coaches think a veteran presence will help more.
But there is NO veteran presence in this instance.....just one high pick and a bunch of also rans....so, who should we "expect or hope" would seize the position???
But go ahead and really think back and answer the other point honestly. If this were couple years ago when the team went 0-16 and a higher pick wasn't looking good would the talk be needing to get rid of him? If your answer is no, then you are wanting to expedite his maturation because of the lofty expectations for the team.
Obviously my answer is not no......I think you're implying we want him gone because we look better on paper? And in past years we'd keep him because we were bad??? If you look back over the recent years you'll see high picks like Trent Richardson, Johnny Manziel, Brandon Weeden, Justin Gilbert, Danny Shelton, Cam Erving, Corey Coleman, etc....all gone in 2 years......And this was when we were desperate. So, we did not keep the bad ones then......do we have room to house "projects" now? Especially at a position we are desperate to fill???
I think they will keep him, but there a thousands of guys who get cut before they ever see any starts or serious playing time......why?.....because they dont practice well enough to get on the field. Many of those guys are cut the first week....month....year....etc.....and some, like Corbett, get an extra year or so because they cost more. Just how it is, but does not make Corbett any better than a guy like Sheehy(for example).
So....when a player isnt good enough to play....when do you decide that? And when you have to cut 40 to get down to roster, how do you determine which ones will develop over time(as you suggest) and which ones just aren't good enough?...... it seems like your giving(or wanting to extend) Corbett an opportunity that 40 others wont get and Im curious what the criteria is....has he outworked?...outplayed?....outhustled? the others?.......or just someone that was picked way too high?
-
-
A little diddy about my man Austin Corbett.
- He sucks -- at any position. He is a horrible football player.
- See number one
- I have tracked every snap of his all preseason on GamePass and quite frankly, it pisses me off how much he sucks balls.
- I got PFF stats from last year and this year -- they all blow.
- Some dudes can ball and some are in on the masquerade. Austin is the latter. Some folks have caught on that you can find a dude living under an overpass who is better than homes. Trust me, there are dudes at Mount who are way better football players than this kid.
The excuse going around now is the Browns ruined him by playing him at too many positions. I am here to tell you that is bullshit. Good football players know how to execute the basics, this clown can barely sustain a block more than a second anywhere on the field. He is Junkin bad, but that said, Forbes makes up for it.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login