Time Running Out for Austin Corbett
-
He had the opportunity handed to him. Not the job. The opportunity. Lots of cut players never get that type of chance.
The guy looks to be a stumble bum. It's like his shoes are made of lead. Herman Munster had better moves.
-
I think I'm more concerned with our OL as a whole after last game then I expected to be. I knew that losing Zeitler would hurt, but geez. It appears that we're suffering a bit of a trickle down issue where the loss of Zeitler is affecting everyone. Kush is known as a decent pass protector, but he doesn't grade out well in the run game. It's pretty shocking that Corbett couldn't secure the job because Kush appears to have won the position almost out of default.
I REALLY don't like knee-jerk reactions after preseason games, BUT this past game was the 3rd exhibition contest, and that one is generally the game people pay the most attention to. Much has been made of Suh getting the best of Kush a few times, but that wasn't the only issue that surfaced. Hubbard got beat badly by Nassib one time (why'd we let him go again?), and Greg Robinson definitely had his patented holding penalty and got beat inside a time or two.
What gives me hope is that our OL play was borderline spectacular in the second half of last season, and we've only lost ONE player. Granted, he was a big time player, but he's still one guy. The other 4 are in place, and Tretter is actually healthy. I actually have a feeling that we're going to be pleasantly surprised by Greg Robinson. I don't ever see him as being a "probowler" or anything, but I really do believe Greg has the ability to hold down the job for multiple years. Of course, "hold down" is the key phrase because Greg panics and holds way too much, but the guy has the physical talent. He's more susceptible to speed and inside moves, but when Greg drops the anchor, you're not going to bull-rush him.
Oh, one more thing. Although entertaining, our former OL coach Bob Wylie was not thought to be a top-tier coach (per some articles I read). I forget his name, but the guy we have now is a definite improvement. Again, this is just the opinion of some sportwriters in the country, but I think it's probably valid. We improved our special teams coach and our OL coach, and I believe we'll see the improvements.
-
When did the Fucking Capital of Texas become a Millenial favorite name?
Austin Corbett
Austin Reiter
Austin Seibert
None of these guys have yet earned their spurs imo.
Probably about the same time that Dallas became a girl's name?
-
It doesn't help matters that Hubbard has turned out to be pretty bad, now the entire right side of the OL is pretty weak.
It doesn't help matters that Hubbard has turned out to be pretty bad, now the entire right side of the OL is pretty weak.
This move was definitely a miss, without question. They traded Zeitler like he was easy to replace and assumed Corbett would fill his shoes.
Not even close, and, as mentioned, it doesn't help that Hubbard was overrated. You can't have any part of your OL to be weak and succeed. Not the left, not the middle and not the right. Don't you think The DL would have been strong without Vernon? I do. This was a flat out blunder.
-
I think I'm more concerned with our OL as a whole after last game then I expected to be. I knew that losing Zeitler would hurt, but geez. It appears that we're suffering a bit of a trickle down issue where the loss of Zeitler is affecting everyone. Kush is known as a decent pass protector, but he doesn't grade out well in the run game. It's pretty shocking that Corbett couldn't secure the job because Kush appears to have won the position almost out of default.
I REALLY don't like knee-jerk reactions after preseason games, BUT this past game was the 3rd exhibition contest, and that one is generally the game people pay the most attention to. Much has been made of Suh getting the best of Kush a few times, but that wasn't the only issue that surfaced. Hubbard got beat badly by Nassib one time (why'd we let him go again?), and Greg Robinson definitely had his patented holding penalty and got beat inside a time or two.
What gives me hope is that our OL play was borderline spectacular in the second half of last season, and we've only lost ONE player. Granted, he was a big time player, but he's still one guy. The other 4 are in place, and Tretter is actually healthy. I actually have a feeling that we're going to be pleasantly surprised by Greg Robinson. I don't ever see him as being a "probowler" or anything, but I really do believe Greg has the ability to hold down the job for multiple years. Of course, "hold down" is the key phrase because Greg panics and holds way too much, but the guy has the physical talent. He's more susceptible to speed and inside moves, but when Greg drops the anchor, you're not going to bull-rush him.
Oh, one more thing. Although entertaining, our former OL coach Bob Wylie was not thought to be a top-tier coach (per some articles I read). I forget his name, but the guy we have now is a definite improvement. Again, this is just the opinion of some sportwriters in the country, but I think it's probably valid. We improved our special teams coach and our OL coach, and I believe we'll see the improvements.
Oh, one more thing. Although entertaining, our former OL coach Bob Wylie was not thought to be a top-tier coach (per some articles I read). I forget his name, but the guy we have now is a definite improvement. Again, this is just the opinion of some sportwriters in the country, but I think it's probably valid. We improved our special teams coach and our OL coach, and I believe we'll see the improvements.
Haven't seen an improved OL yet. It may get there but right now it is worse, not better.
-
He MAY be a bad pick. He has not played enough to be judged as of now.
Again, would you consider RG3 a bad pick? Most probably would, yet he was the Rookie of Year. One year (and in Austin case little time on field) and 2 preseason games doesn't give an answer.
Again, I am NOT saying he will be good or was the right pick. But there are NUMEROUS examples of guys needing some time to work, and there are NUMEROUS examples of guys who came out of the gates on fire and then fizzled out
Right....he could get better or he could be a bust.....I think everyone gets that and can agree to a point.
I see the examples you gave of both and my one argument would be that those other guys could at least get on the field.....most high picks(1st & 2nds for sure) get the benefit of the doubt and will get playing time to see where they are....in the case of Corbett, the fact that he cant even get a starting nod(when we have NO decent alternative) tells me he's pretty bad......Id say an average or even below average guy might get the start in this situation(no good alternate) .....but not so with Corbett....
So....until I hear(and see) otherwise, I have to assume he looks "terrible" to our coaching staff.....
How many guys on your list were so bad they were not even given a chance as a starter in their first 2 years.....any?
.....most high picks(1st & 2nds for sure) get the benefit of the doubt and will get playing time to see where they are....in the case of Corbett, the fact that he cant even get a starting nod(when we have NO decent alternative) tells me he's pretty bad......Id say an average or even below average guy might get the start in this situation(no good alternate) .....but not so with Corbett....
So....until I hear(and see) otherwise, I have to assume he looks "terrible" to our coaching staff.....
How many guys on your list were so bad they were not even given a chance as a starter in their first 2 years.....any?
So, Ill just revisist this comment, as it has played out exactly......Corbett was just replaced with a 6th round pick that has only played 8 games and graded out as "fair", at best.....
We should just agree that he is terrible and the Browns dont see enough there to give him the "time" to get better.....
Hey....someday he might be good....perhaps.....but it will most likely be on some other team that isnt looking to win "NOW"
Oh....and Ill add I did imply I thought he came off like a pussy....has nothing to do with his meeting expectations and everything to do with how he acts and plays......(personally, I did not have high expectations for this one)(and he met my expectations exactly)
-
.....most high picks(1st & 2nds for sure) get the benefit of the doubt and will get playing time to see where they are....in the case of Corbett, the fact that he cant even get a starting nod(when we have NO decent alternative) tells me he's pretty bad......Id say an average or even below average guy might get the start in this situation(no good alternate) .....but not so with Corbett....
So....until I hear(and see) otherwise, I have to assume he looks "terrible" to our coaching staff.....
How many guys on your list were so bad they were not even given a chance as a starter in their first 2 years.....any?
So, Ill just revisist this comment, as it has played out exactly......Corbett was just replaced with a 6th round pick that has only played 8 games and graded out as "fair", at best.....
We should just agree that he is terrible and the Browns dont see enough there to give him the "time" to get better.....
Hey....someday he might be good....perhaps.....but it will most likely be on some other team that isnt looking to win "NOW"
Oh....and Ill add I did imply I thought he came off like a pussy....has nothing to do with his meeting expectations and everything to do with how he acts and plays......(personally, I did not have high expectations for this one)(and he met my expectations exactly)
So, Ill just revisist this comment, as it has played out exactly......Corbett was just replaced with a 6th round pick that has only played 8 games and graded out as "fair", at best.....
We should just agree that he is terrible and the Browns dont see enough there to give him the "time" to get better.....
Hey....someday he might be good....perhaps.....but it will most likely be on some other team that isnt looking to win "NOW"
I seem to recall a solid 2 years of hand wringing and griping about one Mitchell Schwartz, and then suddenly he was good, and there was much desire to resign him, but we didn’t. Corbett isn’t getting near the playing time Schwartz got, but perhaps a late bloomer like Schwartz? Not saying Corbett will or won’t pan out, or for whom he might pan out.
-
On Corbett...the only thing worse than making a bad pick is sticking with a bad pick. We will soon find out if Dorsey allows his ego to interfere with making sound football decisions.
He MAY be a bad pick. He has not played enough to be judged as of now.
Again, would you consider RG3 a bad pick? Most probably would, yet he was the Rookie of Year. One year (and in Austin case little time on field) and 2 preseason games doesn't give an answer.
Again, I am NOT saying he will be good or was the right pick. But there are NUMEROUS examples of guys needing some time to work, and there are NUMEROUS examples of guys who came out of the gates on fire and then fizzled out
He MAY be a bad pick. He has not played enough to be judged as of now.
Again, would you consider RG3 a bad pick? Most probably would, yet he was the Rookie of Year. One year (and in Austin case little time on field) and 2 preseason games doesn't give an answer.
Again, I am NOT saying he will be good or was the right pick. But there are NUMEROUS examples of guys needing some time to work, and there are NUMEROUS examples of guys who came out of the gates on fire and then fizzled out
IDK, he looks nothing like the guy they drafted, for whatever reason.
-
Again I am not suggesting anything, he may be a bust. But he also has had little playing time. That is the main point.
And yes last year he was behind veterans in Bitonio and Zeitler and if looking at him now playing some center then Tretter. So the point is that there was a reason why he didn't play much last year. Aaron Rodgers sat for 3 years behind Brett, I imagine he learned over that time. Its also the reason that teams want to start a vet over a rookie at the QB position, even if they view the rookie as going to be better. Just look at the homegrown Haskins. There have been discussions of either Keenum or McCoy being their starter. OL is more than just running into people, there are complex schemes. And none of us know why he isn't playing the way everyone wants right now. Maybe he is a bust, or maybe he is having trouble understanding the schemes (especially when considering the moving around) and maybe once he is getting it he is thinking too much.
Have never heard me say what the Browns should do with Austin, just that he may be different in development and he hasn't played much at all. But I wouldn't have said anything about any of this if people weren't calling his a p***y because he isn't reaching their expectations
There have been discussions of either Keenum or McCoy being their starter. OL is more than just running into people, there are complex schemes. And none of us know why he isn't playing the way everyone wants right now. Maybe he is a bust, or maybe he is having trouble understanding the schemes (especially when considering the moving around) and maybe once he is getting it he is thinking too much.
Have never heard me say what the Browns should do with Austin, just that he may be different in development and he hasn't played much at all. But I wouldn't have said anything about any of this if people weren't calling his a p***y because he isn't reaching their expectations
Somebody who can't post here anymore never got the finer points of line play- they're all just untalented dime a dozen fat asses.
-
So am watching the replay now..And really got to give Drew Forbes some props on play injured.(just over 1 min. left in 1st).1) Forbes is nose to nose with Snacks Harrison. 2.Drives Snacks to help from RT. 3) Forbes releases from Snacks, looks straight up field to flatted the LB, that RB cuts off of to gain the first down. 4.Snacks is than the player that then rolls up Forbes leg..God i hope this kid can get back ? that's good stuff he'll get from good coaching..
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login