Skip to content

***Browns @ Buccaneers Preseason Game Night Thread***

The Browns Board
164 28 4.7k 1
  • Boy, I had been hearing great things about Strong, but he didn't make it happen tonight. The line between failure and success is so thin in the NFL. A pass 12 inches too high in the end zone, a drop by Higgins, a drop by Willies on 3rd down, missed hole by D'Ernest, a penalty, whatever. 

    I think what concerns me the most is our lack of depth at WR and TE. All the sudden, WR doesn't look at deep as we thought, and Callaway is suspended/hurt, OBJ isn't known for durability, and Njoku hasn't been in there. I used to think Devalve had a future, but it won't be with us. I'm not at all worried about our starters, but I do think our depth isn't quite what we hoped for. But hey, it's one game, and it's preseason. I really wish our OL played better, but we'll have to see how the unit progresses. 

  • What a piss poor D on that last drive. They ran all over us, Got a easy first down on 3rd and long, Had no trouble at all from our D that last drive, Were there any starters out there at all?

    @medicineman said:

    What a piss poor D on that last drive. They ran all over us, Got a easy first down on 3rd and long, Had no trouble at all from our D that last drive, Were there any starters out there at all?

    3rd stringers 

  • Does D’Ermest Johnson remind of Ernest Byner

    @the-gipper said:

    Does D’Ermest Johnson remind of Ernest Byner

    wasnt ernest more of a downfield back? i really like d'ernest tho....havent been very impressed with hunt so far. ernest makes sharper cuts .....he's made me feel quite a bit better about losing duke. If we keep 4 backs im ok witj hilliard basically being the more power back if something happens to chubb and dernest being Hunts backup and kick returner.

    if we makenit to tge playoffs..and hunt didnt really show anything the last 8 games, id give dernest those reps if he keeps up this play for the first 8 games.

  • What a piss poor D on that last drive. They ran all over us, Got a easy first down on 3rd and long, Had no trouble at all from our D that last drive, Were there any starters out there at all?

    @medicineman said:

    What a piss poor D on that last drive. They ran all over us, Got a easy first down on 3rd and long, Had no trouble at all from our D that last drive, Were there any starters out there at all?

    running that 4-2 might be tough when the starters arent out there. When u only have 2 lb'ers ur front 4 HAS to stay disciplined against the run...which are starters and their immediate backups are. Especially the edge players. 

  • Vernon alleviated my concerns from his kind of lazy effort against indy....he's ready. 

  • A solid 'A' grade on Freddie's post-presser.."Besides the starting defense & Kicking game we weren't good at anything.Including coaching preparation" Well, It is his Offense.and it just fell flat in his face, not seen by freddie during practice. Did not see much, so called vanilla offense either..Am not going to lose anymore sleep over a 9-0 halftime lead with their 1's. That we did not play well enough to score touchdowns yet..Am kinda more disappointed in Jarvis Landry's WR room not teaching what he came in preaching..either he's hurt more than we think? or falling into some bad OBJ habits? The OL rushing work up front is so horrid..Barry Sanders could only run sideline to sideline.. It ain't on Hunt or any of our backs..This starting OL failed with the TB 2's in the start of 3rd quarter. Stanton did not help himself either..Gilbert helped himself by just not playing..    

  • It’s preseason so most things suck as far as games go.  

    I do like our new HCs sideline demeanor. Calling out a player for sloppy play is a good thing.

     I hate the helmets  They stink, they suck,  look horrible and it’s nothing but a baby Huey hangover. Fuck that Tennessee looking bullshit. 

    Im looking forward to the real season. 

  • Vernon alleviated my concerns from his kind of lazy effort against indy....he's ready. 

    @clevfan4life said:

    Vernon alleviated my concerns from his kind of lazy effort against indy....he's ready. 

    Plus Lawrence played hungry. I liked that. I'm not worried about this defense, but I am about OL and TE. But I have to remind myself that in all levels of football the offense jelling is always last. I'm glad we have a defense to rely on now until they catch up.

    Joseph is history. Seibert just took his job away, which is exactly why we spent such a high draft choice on a kicker. Teams with good kickers just don't do that.

    We have to find a way to keep Sheehy on the team. Night and day between him and Johnson on returns.

  • Baker is off a tad.

    • D really impressed tonite... Vernon, yes, but Richardson was a force in the middle.
    • I believe we have our punt returner... formerly known as "the other Johnson"...

    @texasag1969 said:

    Baker is off a tad.

    Looked out of sync to me... seemed to be overampped... like he was rushing everything. He tends to play "fast", but looked like he was in even more of a hurry than usual.

    Also seemed to be overthrowing which makes the ball sail high whether we're talkin' MLB or NFL.

    @orion said:

    LT Robinson struggled against the quick LB'er.

    Was beat cleanly to the inside in PassPro... again. Teams are going to exploit the shit out of this.

    • D really impressed tonite... Vernon, yes, but Richardson was a force in the middle.
    • I believe we have our punt returner... formerly known as "the other Johnson"...

    @texasag1969 said:

    Baker is off a tad.

    Looked out of sync to me... seemed to be overampped... like he was rushing everything. He tends to play "fast", but looked like he was in even more of a hurry than usual.

    Also seemed to be overthrowing which makes the ball sail high whether we're talkin' MLB or NFL.

    @orion said:

    LT Robinson struggled against the quick LB'er.

    Was beat cleanly to the inside in PassPro... again. Teams are going to exploit the shit out of this.

    @tour2ma said:

    Was beat cleanly to the inside in PassPro... again. Teams are going to exploit the shit out of this.

    OL coach has his work cut out for him before opening day gets here. I'd rather see him beat on the outside rather than the quicker path through the inside. Baker is quick enough on release to counter the outside "win" by pass rushers. Of course I'd rather not see him beat at all, but that won't happen. OTs and TE have to be priorities next draft. I'm not impressed with either at the moment. I know TB is a DL force, so at least we got some good quality practice time in against a superior DL.

  • I was impressed defensively, especially our defensive line. We had five sacks and dominated on the line. Seibert showed why we drafted him and looks to be a pretty good kicker. I was disappointed we had to settle for so many field goals on offense but it is pre-season. It wasn't that long ago I got excited about being undefeated in pre-season and then we didn't win a game in the regular season. I have to remember they aren't playing these games really to win, winning is just a bonus.

    • D really impressed tonite... Vernon, yes, but Richardson was a force in the middle.
    • I believe we have our punt returner... formerly known as "the other Johnson"...

    @texasag1969 said:

    Baker is off a tad.

    Looked out of sync to me... seemed to be overampped... like he was rushing everything. He tends to play "fast", but looked like he was in even more of a hurry than usual.

    Also seemed to be overthrowing which makes the ball sail high whether we're talkin' MLB or NFL.

    @orion said:

    LT Robinson struggled against the quick LB'er.

    Was beat cleanly to the inside in PassPro... again. Teams are going to exploit the shit out of this.

    @tour2ma said:

    •  

    Also seemed to be overthrowing which makes the ball sail high whether we're talkin' MLB or NFL.

    Agreed..been up watching Replay..got to half, nothing else to see here..1) Baker threw a laser to P.Brown when he had to.. saw Baker only try to throw the ball with any touch only twice, with taking some off..2) Willies dropped it in his bucket on left sideline.. 3) TE D.Harris drops another in back of end zone, with a good high point & both hands on it.4.) Higgins drop in right corner of endzone could have used some off with more air under it.. It really shocks me with Baker.. cause, can ya image the pressure he's seeing at practice with our front 6 or 7 against our OL?.. imo, if Freddie was trying to get the starting OL some confidence with 1 drive in 3rd after practicing against us & Colts? yikes* 

  • Unfortunately, OL is something we're going to have to deal with all year. The GOOD news is that we had exceptional OL play last year, and we have everyone back except for the stud Zeitler. Furthermore, we have a playcaller who demonstrated the ability of getting the ball out quickly, running it, AND being creative with execution. Oh, we also have a crafty QB that is extremely talented at evading pressure and recognizing pressure, so I think we'll be ok. Did Dorsey royally screw up the RG position? Yep, he did. But...would you rather have Jabril Peppers and Kevin Zeitler, or Olivier Vernon and Odell Beckham? 

    I LOVE the fact we didn't look crisp offensively. I want our guys to be humble, ready to work, and fired up for Tennessee. I want some idiot to start blasting off on the radio how Baker doesn't look ready, how he's not really good, and whatever else. I want ALL the negative bullshit because that's what he feeds on. Was Baker on fire last night? Hell no. But he was good enough to throw 2 TD passes that his receivers couldn't haul in. 

  • I was impressed defensively, especially our defensive line. We had five sacks and dominated on the line. Seibert showed why we drafted him and looks to be a pretty good kicker. I was disappointed we had to settle for so many field goals on offense but it is pre-season. It wasn't that long ago I got excited about being undefeated in pre-season and then we didn't win a game in the regular season. I have to remember they aren't playing these games really to win, winning is just a bonus.

    @oldbrownsfan said:

    I was impressed defensively, especially our defensive line. We had five sacks and dominated on the line. Seibert showed why we drafted him and looks to be a pretty good kicker. I was disappointed we had to settle for so many field goals on offense but it is pre-season. It wasn't that long ago I got excited about being undefeated in pre-season and then we didn't win a game in the regular season. I have to remember they aren't playing these games really to win, winning is just a bonus.

    I'm very happy where we are going defensively. And with all our best receivers and a sharper Baker, I'm sure the O will come along. Which leads me to kicker. Sure we did not get any TDs, but every one of his kicks was a pressure to win the starter kind of kick and every single one was not just good, it was perfectly down the middle between the goal posts. That is something we really never saw with Joseph all last year. Most were barely good and rarely right down the pike. The job is set now IMO.

  • @oldbrownsfan said:

    I was impressed defensively, especially our defensive line. We had five sacks and dominated on the line. Seibert showed why we drafted him and looks to be a pretty good kicker. I was disappointed we had to settle for so many field goals on offense but it is pre-season. It wasn't that long ago I got excited about being undefeated in pre-season and then we didn't win a game in the regular season. I have to remember they aren't playing these games really to win, winning is just a bonus.

    I'm very happy where we are going defensively. And with all our best receivers and a sharper Baker, I'm sure the O will come along. Which leads me to kicker. Sure we did not get any TDs, but every one of his kicks was a pressure to win the starter kind of kick and every single one was not just good, it was perfectly down the middle between the goal posts. That is something we really never saw with Joseph all last year. Most were barely good and rarely right down the pike. The job is set now IMO.

    @texasag1969 said:

    I'm very happy where we are going defensively. And with all our best receivers and a sharper Baker, I'm sure the O will come along. Which leads me to kicker. Sure we did not get any TDs, but every one of his kicks was a pressure to win the starter kind of kick and every single one was not just good, it was perfectly down the middle between the goal posts. That is not something we really never saw with Joseph all last year. Most were barely good and rarely right down the pike. The job is set now IMO.

    After the Indy game I was beginning to hope Dawson might come out of retirement but I think we have found a good kicker in Seibert and that gives me some peace of mind in our kicking game. 

  • Unfortunately, OL is something we're going to have to deal with all year. The GOOD news is that we had exceptional OL play last year, and we have everyone back except for the stud Zeitler. Furthermore, we have a playcaller who demonstrated the ability of getting the ball out quickly, running it, AND being creative with execution. Oh, we also have a crafty QB that is extremely talented at evading pressure and recognizing pressure, so I think we'll be ok. Did Dorsey royally screw up the RG position? Yep, he did. But...would you rather have Jabril Peppers and Kevin Zeitler, or Olivier Vernon and Odell Beckham? 

    I LOVE the fact we didn't look crisp offensively. I want our guys to be humble, ready to work, and fired up for Tennessee. I want some idiot to start blasting off on the radio how Baker doesn't look ready, how he's not really good, and whatever else. I want ALL the negative bullshit because that's what he feeds on. Was Baker on fire last night? Hell no. But he was good enough to throw 2 TD passes that his receivers couldn't haul in. 

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Unfortunately, OL is something we're going to have to deal with all year. The GOOD news is that we had exceptional OL play last year, and we have everyone back except for the stud Zeitler. Furthermore, we have a playcaller who demonstrated the ability of getting the ball out quickly, running it, AND being creative with execution. 

    I'd also give Bob Wylie some credit on playing to Robinson's now failure..Robinson had 1 assignment to not get beat inside off snap. Robinson was seen better when we were winning and Bitonio would sometimes help inside..Campton looks to be putting Robinson on a island to evaluate..   

  • don't get the lowering the head call on Ray-Ray? but we earned the scoreboard 

    @gumby73 said:

    don't get the lowering the head call on Ray-Ray? but we earned the scoreboard 

    AG from Texas, I need your replay booth call on this call when ya get to it..I've watched this play many times starting at 2:00 warning to 1:53 left in 4th..Ray gets called for not making contact with crown but only lowering crown.😕.The only crown lowered i can see is the receiver tucking his to protect himself..Ray-Ray runs head up through play making contact with right shoulder pad..big 15 yards from TB's 27, 2nd & 14'ish..  

  • What a piss poor D on that last drive. They ran all over us, Got a easy first down on 3rd and long, Had no trouble at all from our D that last drive, Were there any starters out there at all?

    @medicineman said:

    What a piss poor D on that last drive. They ran all over us, Got a easy first down on 3rd and long, Had no trouble at all from our D that last drive, Were there any starters out there at all?

    I've  always said winning  in preseason means our (or their) third string is better. Don't  sweat it,  most of those guys won't make  the  final roster. 

  • the scotsman should get the job msinly because his hair, obviously, but also some of the best biceps peak on the team not named vernon. Fuckin highlander can kick a fucking football then throw his shit in there on a form tackle. Job is urs sir.....it had better be.

  • also.....why no beckham at all duribg preseason? i mean just a couple deep routes to see wheres he's at than get him out.....no crossing routes or noyhin...we needed to see his timing with bsker