***Browns @ Buccaneers Preseason Game Night Thread***
-
He's making somebodies squad..with the air in Denver, the ball may never come down or back in stadium.. Can we at least close the book on our back-up DT's being Devaroe Lawrence & Carl Davis? am seeing not'a from Trevon Coley..
did laurence get any reps against 1's? he can certainly flash through the 2's. ..
i still would have liked mccoy or the dude from GB alongside laurence....davis doesnt look psrticulary strong but also not weak by any means. If we can get our starting DT's to the playoffs healthy, we're in the AFC championship. Richardson and jobi look utterly dominant when they fire out. Interior pressure like they can generate is even more disruptive than edge rush which can be somewhat mitigated sometimes by adjusting pass routes. A big DT in the QB's eyeball consistently is demoralizing
did laurence get any reps against 1's? he can certainly flash through the 2's. ..
i still would have liked mccoy or the dude from GB alongside laurence....davis doesnt look psrticulary strong but also not weak by any means. If we can get our starting DT's to the playoffs healthy, we're in the AFC championship. Richardson and jobi look utterly dominant when they fire out. Interior pressure like they can generate is even more disruptive than edge rush which can be somewhat mitigated sometimes by adjusting pass routes. A big DT in the QB's eyeball consistently is demoralizing
We consistently heard good things about Devaroe Lawrence, and he was feared to have torn knee ligaments two weeks ago. Freddie walked across the practice facility to give him a hug, and I thought this was telling. First, just how important Lawrence is to our team, and secondly how much Freddie cares for these guys. Obviously the injury was only a scare, and Lawrence will likely make the team. Our podcast boys routinely praised Lawrence for his disruptive play, and I totally agree with you in that middle pressure is more difficult to deal with. Additionally, if middle pressure causes the qb to move backwards...well...he's going to meet Mr. Garrett. Myles does that corner-bend move and gets close so many times, so having a QB move backwards just a few more times a game will equate to more sacks and maybe fumbles.
Let's be clear, Bucs have a poor OL. That being said, you should be VERY excited to see our DL this year, and it was great to see Olivier Vernon make some plays. It's totally go time.
-
Fuckin highlander can kick a fucking football then throw his shit in there on a form tackle.
He's making somebodies squad..with the air in Denver, the ball may never come down or back in stadium.. Can we at least close the book on our back-up DT's being Devaroe Lawrence & Carl Davis? am seeing not'a from Trevon Coley..
He's making somebodies squad..with the air in Denver, the ball may never come down or back in stadium.. Can we at least close the book on our back-up DT's being Devaroe Lawrence & Carl Davis? am seeing not'a from Trevon Coley..
I thought Coley flashed a bit the first preseason game, but seems to be back to his old mosh pit self, slamming up against whoever is there to slam up against and churn around for a while.
-
Lawrence did some nice things at DT
The punter punts the ball high and far......and makes tackles. Nothing wrong with Colquit...but we can't keep him cos we can't keep 2 punters.
The 5th round pick liquored up kicker probably won the job last night.
#30 Johnson keeps showing that he's not a bad RB. Even though there was no room to run last night. He also seems solid on ST.
...I still miss Darren Fells.
-
Got thoroughly through half 1. Made random notes.
Kush watch ‘19: ah, he did ok. Strikes me as a bend but tries not to break guy. Pretty consistently loses ground to a pass rusher but tries to buckle up when he needs to. 3 plays l noted where he pretty much sucked. Ole’d one guy (ironically on the same play Bitonio straight pancaked a dude with authority), he let Nassib get to his outside on another play, and he got Suh trained into Mayfield for another. There were good plays though too. He did like C- grade work this game imo.
Hunt: is no Duke Johnson level blocker in the backfield. A concern l had over Duke gate. He’s more of a chip and release or gets bent backwards kinda guy. Duke could stonewall a guy when he had to.
DeValve: may surprise you but l was kinda impressed by him in the first half. Dude has made significant strides as a blocker, especially in a fullback role. At least 2 plays he did what a good fullback should do and flew to his spot and maintained respectable blocks. Another instance as a TE he got good and low to lay a block.
Vernon: he’s got moves that’s for sure.
Chris Smith: man l like Chris Smith. That is all.
-
Vernon alleviated my concerns from his kind of lazy effort against indy....he's ready.
Plus Lawrence played hungry. I liked that. I'm not worried about this defense, but I am about OL and TE. But I have to remind myself that in all levels of football the offense jelling is always last. I'm glad we have a defense to rely on now until they catch up.
Joseph is history. Seibert just took his job away, which is exactly why we spent such a high draft choice on a kicker. Teams with good kickers just don't do that.
We have to find a way to keep Sheehy on the team. Night and day between him and Johnson on returns.
We have to find a way to keep Sheehy on the team. Night and day between him and Johnson on returns.
I didn't see a night and day difference at all. D'Ernest made quick cuts when returning punts and got up field in a hurry. He had a 15 and 16 yard punt return negated by penalties that didn't help him to get the yards he got, and had another 16 yard punt return that stood. He got 28 yards on his one kick return. I love the DSG story as much as the next guy but his talent isnt a "find a way to keep him" talent. Any of the Browns teams of the last 10 years, yeah you keep him on the team as a fan favorite because of his story. There wasn't near the talent on those rosters. As great as the 1-4 are in the wide receiver room all have missed time due to injuries or off the field issues. I want the 5th and 6th wide receivers to be able to produce on offense not just a specialist.
-
What a piss poor D on that last drive. They ran all over us, Got a easy first down on 3rd and long, Had no trouble at all from our D that last drive, Were there any starters out there at all?
3rd stringers
3rd stringers
True, but I believe they were playing against other 3rd stringers. Didn't see much of a fight by them. For guys trying to make a spot on the team, I didn't see anybody that will make the team on that final drive,
-
seibert can kick a fucking football in case any of u didnt notice. O know accuracy has been an issue with all of em but just leg strength....that 54 yd'er could have been a record fg if my eyes didnt deceive me where it hit the net. Maybe i need to look at it again but 10 yds extra "for sure" it went and maybe could have been good from further. Plus he hit it high....that kid flattens out the trajectory a hair, while it might be more sysceptible to being blocked, could go 70+ yds. Just a stupid leg.
-
Lawrence did some nice things at DT
The punter punts the ball high and far......and makes tackles. Nothing wrong with Colquit...but we can't keep him cos we can't keep 2 punters.
The 5th round pick liquored up kicker probably won the job last night.
#30 Johnson keeps showing that he's not a bad RB. Even though there was no room to run last night. He also seems solid on ST.
...I still miss Darren Fells.
Lawrence did some nice things at DT
The punter punts the ball high and far......and makes tackles. Nothing wrong with Colquit...but we can't keep him cos we can't keep 2 punters.
The 5th round pick liquored up kicker probably won the job last night.
#30 Johnson keeps showing that he's not a bad RB. Even though there was no room to run last night. He also seems solid on ST.
...I still miss Darren Fells.
Orion,
When you & I disagree, we disagree, but when we agree, we REALLY agree!! I agree with every single thing you stated above. I like Colquitt, but he's 34 & Hammer continues to impress. I prefer Johnson over Hilliard. IMO, the TE group probably misses Fells more than we do & I thought he was our #2 catching TE & #1 blocking TE. With Seibert hitting that long one & going 4 for 4 in game conditions, I think he's the guy. We can't live with Joseph missing PATs. Lawrence was a BEAST!
BTW, LB Joe S looked great last night in all phases.
Mike
-
Unfortunately, OL is something we're going to have to deal with all year. The GOOD news is that we had exceptional OL play last year, and we have everyone back except for the stud Zeitler. Furthermore, we have a playcaller who demonstrated the ability of getting the ball out quickly, running it, AND being creative with execution. Oh, we also have a crafty QB that is extremely talented at evading pressure and recognizing pressure, so I think we'll be ok. Did Dorsey royally screw up the RG position? Yep, he did. But...would you rather have Jabril Peppers and Kevin Zeitler, or Olivier Vernon and Odell Beckham?
I LOVE the fact we didn't look crisp offensively. I want our guys to be humble, ready to work, and fired up for Tennessee. I want some idiot to start blasting off on the radio how Baker doesn't look ready, how he's not really good, and whatever else. I want ALL the negative bullshit because that's what he feeds on. Was Baker on fire last night? Hell no. But he was good enough to throw 2 TD passes that his receivers couldn't haul in.
Unfortunately, OL is something we're going to have to deal with all year. The GOOD news is that we had exceptional OL play last year, and we have everyone back except for the stud Zeitler. Furthermore, we have a playcaller who demonstrated the ability of getting the ball out quickly, running it, AND being creative with execution. Oh, we also have a crafty QB that is extremely talented at evading pressure and recognizing pressure, so I think we'll be ok. Did Dorsey royally screw up the RG position? Yep, he did. But...would you rather have Jabril Peppers and Kevin Zeitler, or Olivier Vernon and Odell Beckham?
I LOVE the fact we didn't look crisp offensively. I want our guys to be humble, ready to work, and fired up for Tennessee. I want some idiot to start blasting off on the radio how Baker doesn't look ready, how he's not really good, and whatever else. I want ALL the negative bullshit because that's what he feeds on. Was Baker on fire last night? Hell no. But he was good enough to throw 2 TD passes that his receivers couldn't haul in.
I agree with everything. And this team does need some wake up calls on not being too cocky front or else there is legit fear they will become the 2018 Jags.
-
good call on schobert canton....kirksey looked stud too. You guys rem how just a few months we were wondering if lb'er was a weak link in our def? Schobert looks every bit el capitan and his backups oh my goodness. Im actually kind of thinking Wilks should at times drop the 5th DB and bring in Wilson as the 3rd LB'er. I know the 4-2 is wilks thing but jesus get that kid on the field with Schibert and Kirksey. Im sure theres ginna be teams with that ridiculous stretch 3 type power forward at TE that none of our DB's gonna cover right ......put in Mack.
-
Unfortunately, OL is something we're going to have to deal with all year. The GOOD news is that we had exceptional OL play last year, and we have everyone back except for the stud Zeitler. Furthermore, we have a playcaller who demonstrated the ability of getting the ball out quickly, running it, AND being creative with execution. Oh, we also have a crafty QB that is extremely talented at evading pressure and recognizing pressure, so I think we'll be ok. Did Dorsey royally screw up the RG position? Yep, he did. But...would you rather have Jabril Peppers and Kevin Zeitler, or Olivier Vernon and Odell Beckham?
I LOVE the fact we didn't look crisp offensively. I want our guys to be humble, ready to work, and fired up for Tennessee. I want some idiot to start blasting off on the radio how Baker doesn't look ready, how he's not really good, and whatever else. I want ALL the negative bullshit because that's what he feeds on. Was Baker on fire last night? Hell no. But he was good enough to throw 2 TD passes that his receivers couldn't haul in.
Unfortunately, OL is something we're going to have to deal with all year. The GOOD news is that we had exceptional OL play last year, and we have everyone back except for the stud Zeitler. Furthermore, we have a playcaller who demonstrated the ability of getting the ball out quickly, running it, AND being creative with execution. Oh, we also have a crafty QB that is extremely talented at evading pressure and recognizing pressure, so I think we'll be ok. Did Dorsey royally screw up the RG position? Yep, he did. But...would you rather have Jabril Peppers and Kevin Zeitler, or Olivier Vernon and Odell Beckham?
I LOVE the fact we didn't look crisp offensively. I want our guys to be humble, ready to work, and fired up for Tennessee. I want some idiot to start blasting off on the radio how Baker doesn't look ready, how he's not really good, and whatever else. I want ALL the negative bullshit because that's what he feeds on. Was Baker on fire last night? Hell no. But he was good enough to throw 2 TD passes that his receivers couldn't haul in.
I think we know who that radio guy will be who will blast Baker with all that.
-
also.....why no beckham at all duribg preseason? i mean just a couple deep routes to see wheres he's at than get him out.....no crossing routes or noyhin...we needed to see his timing with bsker
also.....why no beckham at all duribg preseason? i mean just a couple deep routes to see wheres he's at than get him out.....no crossing routes or noyhin...we needed to see his timing with bsker
Slight injury...they were taking no chances. I think the same with Landry and Chubb
-
also.....why no beckham at all duribg preseason? i mean just a couple deep routes to see wheres he's at than get him out.....no crossing routes or noyhin...we needed to see his timing with bsker
also.....why no beckham at all duribg preseason? i mean just a couple deep routes to see wheres he's at than get him out.....no crossing routes or noyhin...we needed to see his timing with bsker
He got an ankle injury playing against the Browns a few years ago when one of our nickle corners(BBC I think) went real low to make a tackle.
I’m very ok with not letting dudes fighting for a roster spot take their shots on OBJ
-
Unfortunately, OL is something we're going to have to deal with all year. The GOOD news is that we had exceptional OL play last year, and we have everyone back except for the stud Zeitler. Furthermore, we have a playcaller who demonstrated the ability of getting the ball out quickly, running it, AND being creative with execution. Oh, we also have a crafty QB that is extremely talented at evading pressure and recognizing pressure, so I think we'll be ok. Did Dorsey royally screw up the RG position? Yep, he did. But...would you rather have Jabril Peppers and Kevin Zeitler, or Olivier Vernon and Odell Beckham?
I LOVE the fact we didn't look crisp offensively. I want our guys to be humble, ready to work, and fired up for Tennessee. I want some idiot to start blasting off on the radio how Baker doesn't look ready, how he's not really good, and whatever else. I want ALL the negative bullshit because that's what he feeds on. Was Baker on fire last night? Hell no. But he was good enough to throw 2 TD passes that his receivers couldn't haul in.
Unfortunately, OL is something we're going to have to deal with all year. The GOOD news is that we had exceptional OL play last year, and we have everyone back except for the stud Zeitler. Furthermore, we have a playcaller who demonstrated the ability of getting the ball out quickly, running it, AND being creative with execution. Oh, we also have a crafty QB that is extremely talented at evading pressure and recognizing pressure, so I think we'll be ok. Did Dorsey royally screw up the RG position? Yep, he did. But...would you rather have Jabril Peppers and Kevin Zeitler, or Olivier Vernon and Odell Beckham?
I LOVE the fact we didn't look crisp offensively. I want our guys to be humble, ready to work, and fired up for Tennessee. I want some idiot to start blasting off on the radio how Baker doesn't look ready, how he's not really good, and whatever else. I want ALL the negative bullshit because that's what he feeds on. Was Baker on fire last night? Hell no. But he was good enough to throw 2 TD passes that his receivers couldn't haul in.
Baker had an off night last night, but anybody can have a bad night & he was CONSISTENTLY off the same way the entire time. He kept throwing slightly long/high. to me, that doesn't indicate problems as some may claim, just that he was "off".
I have a feeling our offense will be loaded for bear game 1.
Mike
-
We have to find a way to keep Sheehy on the team. Night and day between him and Johnson on returns.
I didn't see a night and day difference at all. D'Ernest made quick cuts when returning punts and got up field in a hurry. He had a 15 and 16 yard punt return negated by penalties that didn't help him to get the yards he got, and had another 16 yard punt return that stood. He got 28 yards on his one kick return. I love the DSG story as much as the next guy but his talent isnt a "find a way to keep him" talent. Any of the Browns teams of the last 10 years, yeah you keep him on the team as a fan favorite because of his story. There wasn't near the talent on those rosters. As great as the 1-4 are in the wide receiver room all have missed time due to injuries or off the field issues. I want the 5th and 6th wide receivers to be able to produce on offense not just a specialist.
I didn't see a night and day difference at all. D'Ernest made quick cuts when returning punts and got up field in a hurry. He had a 15 and 16 yard punt return negated by penalties that didn't help him to get the yards he got, and had another 16 yard punt return that stood. He got 28 yards on his one kick return. I love the DSG story as much as the next guy but his talent isnt a "find a way to keep him" talent. Any of the Browns teams of the last 10 years, yeah you keep him on the team as a fan favorite because of his story. There wasn't near the talent on those rosters. As great as the 1-4 are in the wide receiver room all have missed time due to injuries or off the field issues. I want the 5th and 6th wide receivers to be able to produce on offense not just a specialist.
I'm including the preseason games thus far, not just #3.
-
I didn't see a night and day difference at all. D'Ernest made quick cuts when returning punts and got up field in a hurry. He had a 15 and 16 yard punt return negated by penalties that didn't help him to get the yards he got, and had another 16 yard punt return that stood. He got 28 yards on his one kick return. I love the DSG story as much as the next guy but his talent isnt a "find a way to keep him" talent. Any of the Browns teams of the last 10 years, yeah you keep him on the team as a fan favorite because of his story. There wasn't near the talent on those rosters. As great as the 1-4 are in the wide receiver room all have missed time due to injuries or off the field issues. I want the 5th and 6th wide receivers to be able to produce on offense not just a specialist.
I'm including the preseason games thus far, not just #3.
I'm including the preseason games thus far, not just #3.
DSG had the one great return for a td. He almost dropped the punt and it's not that he made anyone miss on it either. It was perfectly blocked for him to run straight up field for 20 yards then veer to the sideline.
D'Ernest Johnson has shown very good patience vision and elusiveness as well as a good quick burst. We should have 3 rbs on the 53 man with hunt out the first 8 weeks that leaves Chubb Johnson and Hilliard.
I realize you may not be advocating for keeping DSG strictly over D'Ernest, but Johnson can do so much more for this team in the offense and can provide just about as big of a spark in the return game also. Kick returns and punt returns have really diminished in importance in the last couple years due to new kickoff rules and punters getting better at hang time and directional kicking. It just doesn't make sense for a team that should be a playoff contender to use a spot on a feel good story return specialist if he can't contribute elsewhere. He played 3 snaps in the "dress rehearsal" game.
Would you believe the past two years we were 3rd both years in average yards per punt return? I know you were around on the board so you are well aware a lot of people hated our special teams performance and coach. They also hated jabrill peppers and he could actually contribute in another phase of the game (last year at least not giving too much credit woody lol).
Again his story and determination is great but that isn't a reason to find a reason to keep a guy.
-
I'm including the preseason games thus far, not just #3.
DSG had the one great return for a td. He almost dropped the punt and it's not that he made anyone miss on it either. It was perfectly blocked for him to run straight up field for 20 yards then veer to the sideline.
D'Ernest Johnson has shown very good patience vision and elusiveness as well as a good quick burst. We should have 3 rbs on the 53 man with hunt out the first 8 weeks that leaves Chubb Johnson and Hilliard.
I realize you may not be advocating for keeping DSG strictly over D'Ernest, but Johnson can do so much more for this team in the offense and can provide just about as big of a spark in the return game also. Kick returns and punt returns have really diminished in importance in the last couple years due to new kickoff rules and punters getting better at hang time and directional kicking. It just doesn't make sense for a team that should be a playoff contender to use a spot on a feel good story return specialist if he can't contribute elsewhere. He played 3 snaps in the "dress rehearsal" game.
Would you believe the past two years we were 3rd both years in average yards per punt return? I know you were around on the board so you are well aware a lot of people hated our special teams performance and coach. They also hated jabrill peppers and he could actually contribute in another phase of the game (last year at least not giving too much credit woody lol).
Again his story and determination is great but that isn't a reason to find a reason to keep a guy.
DSG had the one great return for a td. He almost dropped the punt and it's not that he made anyone miss on it either. It was perfectly blocked for him to run straight up field for 20 yards then veer to the sideline.
D'Ernest Johnson has shown very good patience vision and elusiveness as well as a good quick burst. We should have 3 rbs on the 53 man with hunt out the first 8 weeks that leaves Chubb Johnson and Hilliard.
I realize you may not be advocating for keeping DSG strictly over D'Ernest, but Johnson can do so much more for this team in the offense and can provide just about as big of a spark in the return game also. Kick returns and punt returns have really diminished in importance in the last couple years due to new kickoff rules and punters getting better at hang time and directional kicking. It just doesn't make sense for a team that should be a playoff contender to use a spot on a feel good story return specialist if he can't contribute elsewhere. He played 3 snaps in the "dress rehearsal" game.
Would you believe the past two years we were 3rd both years in average yards per punt return? I know you were around on the board so you are well aware a lot of people hated our special teams performance and coach. They also hated jabrill peppers and he could actually contribute in another phase of the game (last year at least not giving too much credit woody lol).
Again his story and determination is great but that isn't a reason to find a reason to keep a guy.
Maybe find a spot for him on the practice team, at least until Callaway is back from his 4 game suspension. Have we even tried to let him run any routes as a wide out? 1 preseason game left why not? But I do trust this Front office. So Whatever they decide
-
I love how you and most fans stay positive. I get so damn mad over the little shit, I wish I could think the way you do. Damn I get so mad
Honestly, this game was close to being really good for our starting offense, and don't forget our starting defense didn't let the Bucs hardly SNAP the ball. Higgins should have made that TD grab, and Willies dropped a couple. Baker was a smidge off, but no big deal. We sorely missed Nick Chubb and our #1 WRs and TEs. No biggie.
Did I mention our defense? Without Myles?
Honestly, this game was close to being really good for our starting offense, and don't forget our starting defense didn't let the Bucs hardly SNAP the ball. Higgins should have made that TD grab, and Willies dropped a couple. Baker was a smidge off, but no big deal. We sorely missed Nick Chubb and our #1 WRs and TEs. No biggie.
Did I mention our defense? Without Myles?
Preseason can be a lot of chemistry chaos especially in terms of a passing game without OBJ, Landry, Callaway and Njoku in terms of the overthrowing the less experienced/talented guys just hoping to make the roster. Like they say during these games that don't count - the biggest thing you root for is no injuries and hope some guys showcase what they're capable of during the exhibition.
I would have liked to see more from the offensive line in the running game; especially considering Tampa's front 7 was missing starters like 2018 1st rd pick DT Vita Vea, DE JPP (who may be back around the time Hunt returns to us), and LB Lavonte David. That said, it looked like the game plan was more focused to feature the pass while the 3rd and longs promoted it even further. I kind of felt bad for Jaelen Strong after hearing he's had such a great camp while his night didn't really reflect it. He was often pretty well covered and overthrown. That said, in practice OBJ and Landry are drawing the #1 and #2 Corners while I'm guessing Strong was getting the good camp reviews against #3 caliber Corners. It'll be interesting to see who stays and who sprays at the WR position at final cuts.
Defensively - zero complaints about our front 7 and it's depth. BTW, that's what Joe Schobert looks like playing with 2 healthy hamstrings behind a REAL defensive front. Frequently on time and in position to defend the pass and run. Any complaints. He's only 26 so let's hold off on racing him out of town before we have to. If I had to bring up 1 concern it's our Strong Safety position. Murray (#22) didn't impress me considering the heat we got on Tampa passers. He was often late and completely whiffed on a tackle at the line of scrimmage. He was also the guy that got toasted over the top in our 1st preseason game and flagged for pass interference penalty. Let's hope I'm wrong or others found enough to be encouraged about. Morgan Burnett also looks like he's lost a step or 2 at this point. The good news is our secondary will have a lot of talent at Corner and the other Safety position as well as the heat we should be able to put on passers to ease the challenge at Strong Safety some. We shall see...
-
Honestly, this game was close to being really good for our starting offense, and don't forget our starting defense didn't let the Bucs hardly SNAP the ball. Higgins should have made that TD grab, and Willies dropped a couple. Baker was a smidge off, but no big deal. We sorely missed Nick Chubb and our #1 WRs and TEs. No biggie.
Did I mention our defense? Without Myles?
Preseason can be a lot of chemistry chaos especially in terms of a passing game without OBJ, Landry, Callaway and Njoku in terms of the overthrowing the less experienced/talented guys just hoping to make the roster. Like they say during these games that don't count - the biggest thing you root for is no injuries and hope some guys showcase what they're capable of during the exhibition.
I would have liked to see more from the offensive line in the running game; especially considering Tampa's front 7 was missing starters like 2018 1st rd pick DT Vita Vea, DE JPP (who may be back around the time Hunt returns to us), and LB Lavonte David. That said, it looked like the game plan was more focused to feature the pass while the 3rd and longs promoted it even further. I kind of felt bad for Jaelen Strong after hearing he's had such a great camp while his night didn't really reflect it. He was often pretty well covered and overthrown. That said, in practice OBJ and Landry are drawing the #1 and #2 Corners while I'm guessing Strong was getting the good camp reviews against #3 caliber Corners. It'll be interesting to see who stays and who sprays at the WR position at final cuts.
Defensively - zero complaints about our front 7 and it's depth. BTW, that's what Joe Schobert looks like playing with 2 healthy hamstrings behind a REAL defensive front. Frequently on time and in position to defend the pass and run. Any complaints. He's only 26 so let's hold off on racing him out of town before we have to. If I had to bring up 1 concern it's our Strong Safety position. Murray (#22) didn't impress me considering the heat we got on Tampa passers. He was often late and completely whiffed on a tackle at the line of scrimmage. He was also the guy that got toasted over the top in our 1st preseason game and flagged for pass interference penalty. Let's hope I'm wrong or others found enough to be encouraged about. Morgan Burnett also looks like he's lost a step or 2 at this point. The good news is our secondary will have a lot of talent at Corner and the other Safety position as well as the heat we should be able to put on passers to ease the challenge at Strong Safety some. We shall see...
Preseason can be a lot of chemistry chaos especially in terms of a passing game without OBJ, Landry, Callaway and Njoku in terms of the overthrowing the less experienced/talented guys just hoping to make the roster. Like they say during these games that don't count - the biggest thing you root for is no injuries and hope some guys showcase what they're capable of during the exhibition.
I would have liked to see more from the offensive line in the running game; especially considering Tampa's front 7 was missing starters like 2018 1st rd pick DT Vita Vea, DE JPP (who may be back around the time Hunt returns to us), and LB Lavonte David. That said, it looked like the game plan was more focused to feature the pass while the 3rd and longs promoted it even further. I kind of felt bad for Jaelen Strong after hearing he's had such a great camp while his night didn't really reflect it. He was often pretty well covered and overthrown. That said, in practice OBJ and Landry are drawing the #1 and #2 Corners while I'm guessing Strong was getting the good camp reviews against #3 caliber Corners. It'll be interesting to see who stays and who sprays at the WR position at final cuts.
Defensively - zero complaints about our front 7 and it's depth. BTW, that's what Joe Schobert looks like playing with 2 healthy hamstrings behind a REAL defensive front. Frequently on time and in position to defend the pass and run. Any complaints. He's only 26 so let's hold off on racing him out of town before we have to. If I had to bring up 1 concern it's our Strong Safety position. Murray (#22) didn't impress me considering the heat we got on Tampa passers. He was often late and completely whiffed on a tackle at the line of scrimmage. He was also the guy that got toasted over the top in our 1st preseason game and flagged for pass interference penalty. Let's hope I'm wrong or others found enough to be encouraged about. Morgan Burnett also looks like he's lost a step or 2 at this point. The good news is our secondary will have a lot of talent at Corner and the other Safety position as well as the heat we should be able to put on passers to ease the challenge at Strong Safety some. We shall see...
That's a pretty solid analysis. Poor offensive line play is probably the most terrifying thing for a fan because it impacts virtually every aspect of the game, and it also can determine whether or not the freakin QB gets hurt (to some degree). Offensive line not getting push? Well, all those 3rd and shorts turn into passing downs, and there's more that can go wrong in the air. Goal line situations, same thing. Can we punch it in without gimmicks?
I just don't see us going into the season with our current lineup. What will we do? I'm not sure, but it'll either involve Trent Williams or the cat from Miami. There might even be some other trade for a random guard we aren't thinking of, so basically nothing will surprise me. Do I love our tackles? No, but I'm more concerned with the RG AND the backup center. Tretter is a warrior, but we don't really have a backup center you want to use.
Bottom line, I don't put much stock in preseason games. They're fun to talk about, but it's REALLY tough to find useful predictors for a season outlook. That said, the offensive line REALLY shouldn't be getting beat like that, and while I realize Suh has given many people problems over the years, both our protection AND running game were turrible. I still think we're going to be "good" this year, but we're not going to really compete for a championship until we get a bit more solidified on the OL AND we get consistent in the kicking game. Those two things can take down any team. (although I was thrilled to see Seibert drill those kicks. Very promising)
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login