Prepare for a stinker...
-
Believe anything Hue says at your own peril...
Owners are going to make a big push for it in the new CBA.
I don't understand how the owners can say they are doing everything they can in the name of player safety and then try to push a 18 game schedule - FIVE OR SIX GAMES more than college football teams play.
I'm sorry, more doesn't mean better. I'm with mjp 100% on this.
-
Believe anything Hue says at your own peril...
Owners are going to make a big push for it in the new CBA.
I don't understand how the owners can say they are doing everything they can in the name of player safety and then try to push a 18 game schedule - FIVE OR SIX GAMES more than college football teams play.
I'm sorry, more doesn't mean better. I'm with mjp 100% on this.
I don't understand how the owners can say they are doing everything they can in the name of player safety and then try to push a 18 game schedule
I think they view it as two separate things entirely. They want players to be able to 'play' the game without getting hurt. Which, to them, has nothing to do with the 'number' of games.
The other problem is players wearing out towards the end of the season. But again, the owners figure they're paying them quite handily for their services.
-
Believe anything Hue says at your own peril...
Owners are going to make a big push for it in the new CBA.
I don't understand how the owners can say they are doing everything they can in the name of player safety and then try to push a 18 game schedule - FIVE OR SIX GAMES more than college football teams play.
I'm sorry, more doesn't mean better. I'm with mjp 100% on this.
I don't understand how the owners can say they are doing everything they can in the name of player safety and then try to push a 18 game schedule - FIVE OR SIX GAMES more than college football teams play.
I'm sorry, more doesn't mean better. I'm with mjp 100% on this.
To me, starters playing 18 games means (obviously) more REAL contact time which would increase risk of injury, further enhanced by players being fatigued. If done, we may be looking at a hell of a lot of 2nd stringers starting in the playoffs.
More QUANTITY seldom results in better QUALITY. I do not like the idea of an 18 game regular season. Just one old man's opinion.
Mike
-
Believe anything Hue says at your own peril...
Owners are going to make a big push for it in the new CBA.
I don't understand how the owners can say they are doing everything they can in the name of player safety and then try to push a 18 game schedule - FIVE OR SIX GAMES more than college football teams play.
I'm sorry, more doesn't mean better. I'm with mjp 100% on this.
I don't understand how the owners can say they are doing everything they can in the name of player safety and then try to push a 18 game schedule - FIVE OR SIX GAMES more than college football teams play.
I'm sorry, more doesn't mean better. I'm with mjp 100% on this.
Get rid of pre-season and it makes more sense.;
-
I don't understand how the owners can say they are doing everything they can in the name of player safety and then try to push a 18 game schedule - FIVE OR SIX GAMES more than college football teams play.
I'm sorry, more doesn't mean better. I'm with mjp 100% on this.
Get rid of pre-season and it makes more sense.;
Get rid of pre-season and it makes more sense.;
.....again though, I disagree.
A lot of the regularly playing players don't play in the preseason (much). Adding regular season games is adding games that the regularly playing players will have to play.
The preseason has mostly become a time for playing the rookies, undrafted FA's and practice squad players in order to decide who to keep. Eliminating preseason games doesn't affect the starters all that much.....but adding more regular season games certainly does.
-
Trubs is horrid. Another QB with "all the physical traits you want" but who still stinks regardless.
Trubs is horrid. Another QB with "all the physical traits you want" but who still stinks regardless.
Trubisky struggled, yep. But until he has some pass blocking and some receivers getting separation...
I can't say it's all on him. Both quarterbacks were getting pummeled like a school bus in a baseball sized hailstorm.
I mean, Rodgers looked just as confused, frustrated and awful as Trubisky for the first quarter and a half. That's all we could take of that game. lol
Starting out, often the offenses lag a few times, generally speaking. A couple more games though, and I'll have to pick up another qb eventually.
-
I don't understand how the owners can say they are doing everything they can in the name of player safety and then try to push a 18 game schedule - FIVE OR SIX GAMES more than college football teams play.
I'm sorry, more doesn't mean better. I'm with mjp 100% on this.
Get rid of pre-season and it makes more sense.;
Get rid of pre-season and it makes more sense.;
No it doesn't! Read the following, perfectly stated by Orion. Two preseason games don't even come CLOSE to comparing to 2 regular season games.
.....again though, I disagree.
A lot of the regularly playing players don't play in the preseason (much). Adding regular season games is adding games that the regularly playing players will have to play.
The preseason has mostly become a time for playing the rookies, undrafted FA's and practice squad players in order to decide who to keep. Eliminating preseason games doesn't affect the starters all that much.....but adding more regular season games certainly does.
YEP!!
Mike
-
And a PS- Trubiski looked terrible
Why are you rubbing Gip's nose in that?
And could you do it some more?
The pregame announcers kept mentioning Mitch didn't throw one preseason pass. It looked like it.
Yup... took three snaps total in all four games... and handed it off three times.
Not exactly sharpening the saw there...
FYI four starting QBs took zero snaps: Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Phillip Rivers and Aaron Rodgers.
You could the effects in Rodgers game as well... especially early.
Why are you rubbing Gip's nose in that?
And could you do it some more?
Yup... took three snaps total in all four games... and handed it off three times.
Not exactly sharpening the saw there...
FYI four starting QBs took zero snaps: Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Phillip Rivers and Aaron Rodgers.
You could the effects in Rodgers game as well... especially early.
In defense of Gipper, I was pretty high on Mitch- but not at #1. Looks like another Hoorta big QB screw up.
Let's not forget Mr.Knowitall (the banned guy) knew Mitch was going to go high. That was revisionist history. If Hue truly didn't want Trubisky, it was one of the very few things he ever got right.
-
-
Why are you rubbing Gip's nose in that?
And could you do it some more?
Yup... took three snaps total in all four games... and handed it off three times.
Not exactly sharpening the saw there...
FYI four starting QBs took zero snaps: Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Phillip Rivers and Aaron Rodgers.
You could the effects in Rodgers game as well... especially early.
In defense of Gipper, I was pretty high on Mitch- but not at #1. Looks like another Hoorta big QB screw up.
Let's not forget Mr.Knowitall (the banned guy) knew Mitch was going to go high. That was revisionist history. If Hue truly didn't want Trubisky, it was one of the very few things he ever got right.
In defense of Gipper, I was pretty high on Mitch- but not at #1. Looks like another Hoorta big QB screw up.
Let's not forget Mr.Knowitall (the banned guy) knew Mitch was going to go high. That was revisionist history. If Hue truly didn't want Trubisky, it was one of the very few things he ever got right.
I’ve been away for a while. Who got banned?
-
In defense of Gipper, I was pretty high on Mitch- but not at #1. Looks like another Hoorta big QB screw up.
Let's not forget Mr.Knowitall (the banned guy) knew Mitch was going to go high. That was revisionist history. If Hue truly didn't want Trubisky, it was one of the very few things he ever got right.
I’ve been away for a while. Who got banned?
-
I don't understand how the owners can say they are doing everything they can in the name of player safety and then try to push a 18 game schedule - FIVE OR SIX GAMES more than college football teams play.
I'm sorry, more doesn't mean better. I'm with mjp 100% on this.
Get rid of pre-season and it makes more sense.;
Get rid of pre-season and it makes more sense.;
It's hard now to decide who makes the roster and practice squad you need at least three better yet four preseason games and leave it with 16 games and a week 4-12 bye. If your star players sit out most of it so be it.
Owners want mo' money at the expense of the players health and watering down the NFL product itself.
July 13
glad you’re joyinghttps://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/07/13/nfl-players-union-rejects-latest-proposal-game-season The Washington Post. You’re almost out of free articles. Already a subscriNFL players’ union rejects latest proposal for 18-game seasonNFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and the league's franchise owners have proposed expanding the regular season to 18 games. (LM Otero, File)July 13By Jacob BogageThe leader of the NFL Players Association shot down a proposal from league owners this week to expand the regular season to 18 games, a sign that both sides remain diametrically opposed to what will be one of the linchpin issues in the league’s next labor deal.
DeMaurice Smith, the NFLPA’s executive director, told ESPN on Friday, “I don’t see an 18-game schedule — under any circumstance — being in the best interest of our players.”
Owners suggested lengthening the season by two games, but capping players’ participation to only 16 of them to conform to the union’s player-safety concerns about a longer season and owners’ salary concerns about paying out two extra game checks.
The Wall Street Journal first reported, and Smith later confirmed, the proposal, which the league brought up during negotiations for the next collective bargaining agreement. The current CBA expires before the 2021 season.......... CONTINUED IN LINK.......
-
I personally think that the future of tackle football in America is an issue here along with the dollars and viewership numbers.
From the article....
......That’s crucial, according to NFLPA estimates, because the average NFL career is 3.4 years but would drop to 2.8 years with two more games each season. The minimum required service time for players to receive a pension and long-term health benefits is three years.
“Fans and media discuss what would happen to ratings and revenue or whether [18 games] is a good idea or bad idea. For us, it comes down to who players are as men, and is it good for us,”........ READ IT......
-
Believe anything Hue says at your own peril...
Owners are going to make a big push for it in the new CBA.
I don't understand how the owners can say they are doing everything they can in the name of player safety and then try to push a 18 game schedule - FIVE OR SIX GAMES more than college football teams play.
I'm sorry, more doesn't mean better. I'm with mjp 100% on this.
I don't understand how the owners can say they are doing everything they can in the name of player safety and then try to push a 18 game schedule - FIVE OR SIX GAMES more than college football teams play.
Not for the playoff teams...

Hell... our HS State Champs played 16 last year... 16-0 baybeeeeeeeeeeeeee....
-
I don't understand how the owners can say they are doing everything they can in the name of player safety and then try to push a 18 game schedule - FIVE OR SIX GAMES more than college football teams play.
Not for the playoff teams...

Hell... our HS State Champs played 16 last year... 16-0 baybeeeeeeeeeeeeee....
Not for the playoff teams...

Hell... our HS State Champs played 16 last year... 16-0 baybeeeeeeeeeeeeee....
Playoff teams that go deep only represent a small number of all of the teams like my YSU Penguins that play a lot of games and it can be tough on the players.
But they are glad to be there.
-
Not for the playoff teams...

Hell... our HS State Champs played 16 last year... 16-0 baybeeeeeeeeeeeeee....
Playoff teams that go deep only represent a small number of all of the teams like my YSU Penguins that play a lot of games and it can be tough on the players.
But they are glad to be there.
Playoff teams that go deep only represent a small number of all of the teams like my YSU Penguins that play a lot of games and it can be tough on the players.
But they are glad to be there.
Pretty sure I knew that, but what I don't know is if those that play the added games suffer a proportional... or greater... increase in injuries.
-
-
Playoff teams that go deep only represent a small number of all of the teams like my YSU Penguins that play a lot of games and it can be tough on the players.
But they are glad to be there.
Pretty sure I knew that, but what I don't know is if those that play the added games suffer a proportional... or greater... increase in injuries.
Pretty sure I knew that, but what I don't know is if those that play the added games suffer a proportional... or greater... increase in injuries.
Hard to say 100% for sure but I knew YSU guys that were really hurt and still played some particularly quarterbacks took a beating.
Tressel went to 6 NC games in the 1990s won 4 with YSU, Pelini in year 2 went to the NC game and as underdogs lost.
-
I wonder what's causing my hesitation about this game tomorrow. I already predicted a Browns win of something like 27-17, but I keep having these niggling doubts creeping in my mind, and I wonder if it's because of our history, or if it's because Tennessee really is that good. I mean, they had a winning record 3 straight years. They're very good against the pass. They like to run the ball, and we were not great at stopping it last year.
I keep thinking, can ANYONE live up to the impossible hype surrounding our team? Maybe it's because I can JUST see the headlines if we lose. "Browns hype train derails as they historically lose another opener after game-winning kick goes awry." The pressure for this team to come out and win is enormous, and I don't know if if you've seen who we play the first 8 games, but it's serious.
But you know what? Win or lose, I still think we have the goods for a fun season. We need some luck on the injury bug front, but we can't control that. Browns fans have a unique relationship with opening day, and by unique I mean, "Holy shit I hate football." People who say things like, "This year is different. These players don't have anything to do with those other teams" are crazy and misinformed. If you don't believe our team has to overcome history, then you're bananas. We very much DO, and it's a real and tangible adversary.
Take last year's tie for example. How MANY times did we have to win that game? Schobert could've taken that pic to the house and ended it. Genard Avery (I THINK) didn't turn around and make one block as he prematurely celebrated the touchdown that never happened. THEN, our best player Myles Garrett inexplicably drills a Steeler in the back directly in front of an official, so we lose more yards. THEN, our FG attempt gets blocked and we freaking TIE a game where we forced 37 turnovers.
What's this have to do with tomorrow? Nothing? Everything? Well, the Ghost of Dwayne Rudd will be there, and our team better be ready for the impending collection "WTF Plays" that seem to occur on game 1 of the Browns' schedule. I've got the Sunday Ticket ordered, the wings marinating for grilling, and the beer chilled to the bone. Can't wait, no matter what happens!. *WOOF WOOF*
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login