Flags/Penalties
-
How many of the Browns’ 18 penalties against the Titans were from poor technique or lack of discipline?
By Tim Bielik, cleveland.com | Posted September 10, 2019 at 11:49 AM
Freddie Kitchens' team committed 18 penalties on Sunday as the Browns lost by 30 to the Titans. (John Kuntz, cleveland.com)CLEVELAND, Ohio — The Browns’ 30-point home loss to the Titans on Sunday was marred by the massive amount of penalties they took.
In total, the Browns committed 18 for 182 yards. It wasn’t even the most the Browns have made in a game. But that’s still way too many for one team to commit.
So the question when looking back at each of them is how many of them were because a player used poor technique? And how many times did the Browns lose their discipline at the moment.
Here’s a look back at all 18 penalties.
1. Blindside block on Greg Robinson, 12:14 in first quarterVerdict: Bad technique
This is a new rule that the NFL instituted for this season, saying that blocks made by a player either running toward or parallel to his end line and leading with his helmet, forearm or shoulder are considered illegal. While Robinson did get Titans corner Malcolm Butler on the side, he led with his head and shoulder and was running in a direction towards his end zone. By the rule, the call was correct.
2. Roughing the passer on Jordan Whitehead, 10:04 in first quarterVerdict: Lack of discipline
Nearly all roughing the passer penalties are results of players going too hard at the quarterback. Whitehead only clipped Marcus Mariota shortly after the throw. But the referees felt he didn’t pull up in time, resulting in the flag.
3. Illegal double-team block on D’Ernest Johnson, 6:36 in first quarterVerdict: Bad technique
Johnson came in to block a player that was already being blocked on the return. By the definition of the rule, the block was illegal and it cost them 10 yards.
4. Unnecessary roughness on Myles Garrett, 14:11 in second quarterVerdict: Lack of discipline
Garrett threw a one-handed shove at the face of Delanie Walker. That’s something refs will call every time.
5. Holding on Damarious Randall, 13:11 in second quarterVerdict: Bad technique
This one was a very ticky-tack call against Randall because he got to Adam Humphries just a split-second too early. It probably could have been let go. But Randall got flagged, which extended the Titans’ drive.
6. Roughing the passer on Sheldon Richardson, 11:08 in second quarterVerdict: Lack of discipline
This was a clear penalty by Richardson as he shoved Mariota to the ground after he let the ball go. He made it an easy call. Denzel Ward was also called for holding, but the Richardson penalty was the one that the Titans accepted.
7. Neutral zone infraction on Sheldon Richardson, 10:18 in second quarterVerdict: Lack of discipline
Richardson jumped too early, giving the Titans a free first down on the way to a touchdown.
8. Disqualification on Greg Robinson, 5:03 in second quarterVerdict: Lack of discipline
Kicking Kenny Vaccaro in the head is an obvious disqualification and just a lack of composure from Robinson, who claimed on Monday that he didn’t mean to kick Vaccaro.
9. False start on Chris Hubbard, 1:47 left in second quarterVerdict: Lack of discipline
Moving for the snap is obviously a mental lapse that can simple be fixed by understanding the cadence.
10. Pass interference on Odell Beckham Jr., :21 in second quarterVerdict: Bad technique
Beckham got open with the help of a push-off, which obviously isn’t allowed and took a crucial chance at points off the board in the final seconds of the half.
11. Holding on Chris Hubbard, 10:14 in third quarterVerdict: Bad technique
Hubbard, who moved to left tackle after Robinson’s ejection, clearly gets his left hand on the outside right shoulder of the defender, pulling him into the middle of the play. It’s a textbook holding call and was the third penalty called on a Browns offensive tackle.
12. Holding on Greedy Williams, 5:58 in third quarterVerdict: Bad technique
Williams essentially tackled the Titans’ gunner just before the punt was kicked off. It’s something that can be coached out of a player. Tavierre Thomas was also flagged for illegal hands to the face on the same play.
13. False start on Justin McCray, 5:52 in third quarterVerdict: Lack of discipline
Again, false starts are just lapses in concentration and focusing too much on what the defense is doing.
14. Holding on Demetrius Harris, 5:52 in third quarterVerdict: Bad technique
Harris starts the play by extending his left arm to the outside, which is just bad technique. That’s something refs are looking for every time from offensive linemen and tight ends.
15. Holding on Demetrius Harris, 15:00 in fourth quarterVerdict: Bad technique
Harris clearly grabs a hold of the defender’s jersey, drawing the easy flag from the refs.
16. Holding on Denzel Ward, 13:05 in fourth quarterVerdict: Bad technique
Ward is lined up here in the slot against Corey Davis. He clearly has his left hand on the right shoulder of Davis, holding him and taking him out of the play. The Titans got a first down anyway on the Marcus Mariota scramble. But even if it didn’t, Tennessee would have still gotten the first down.
17. Holding on Chris Hubbard, 8:43 in fourth quarterVerdict: Bad technique
Hubbard got beat right off the snap and then grabbed the defender on his inside shoulder for his third penalty of the afternoon.
18. Unsportsmanlike conduct on Devaroe Lawrence, 3:11 in fourth quarterVerdict: Lack of discipline
Lawrence clearly said something to the official to draw the penalty.
ConclusionBad technique penalties: 10
Lack of discipline penalties: 8
There clearly is a lot of work to do in terms of discipline for the Browns. They roughed the quarterback twice and committed multiple dead-ball fouls, including Robinson’s ejection and Garrett smacking Walker in the face.
But of course, there were plenty of penalties that were also due to poor technique. That happens often in the first game and can certainly be corrected in the film room.
Ten penalties alone is considered a bad game. But as technique gets refined during the season, that number should go down. It comes down to the penalties due to lack of discipline that can hurt a team most.
-
I'd like to see the breakdown on NON-CALLED Penalties committed by the Titans. I'm sure there were about 20 as well, period.
-
This is the last thing I'm going to say about the penalties and the Robinson "kick"-
Penalty's cost us this game. We lost solely because of the penalties. Either self inflicted or gifted by the refs, we can't have them if we want to be who we think we are. Gotta clean it up.
- And why the hell is KENNY FUCKING VACCARRO'S helmet anywhere near Greg Robinson's feet as he's falling down after the play is over. Kenny's a bitch, he deserved it.
-
It's Wednesday and people are still convincing themselves that the refs were to blame for the Browns loss.
This isn't behavior expected from the Toughest Fans in Football.
-
This is the last thing I'm going to say about the penalties and the Robinson "kick"-
Penalty's cost us this game. We lost solely because of the penalties. Either self inflicted or gifted by the refs, we can't have them if we want to be who we think we are. Gotta clean it up.
- And why the hell is KENNY FUCKING VACCARRO'S helmet anywhere near Greg Robinson's feet as he's falling down after the play is over. Kenny's a bitch, he deserved it.
This is the last thing I'm going to say about the penalties and the Robinson "kick"-
Penalty's cost us this game. We lost solely because of the penalties. Either self inflicted or gifted by the refs, we can't have them if we want to be who we think we are. Gotta clean it up.
- And why the hell is KENNY FUCKING VACCARRO'S helmet anywhere near Greg Robinson's feet as he's falling down after the play is over. Kenny's a bitch, he deserved it.
This is one of the most asinine things I've ever seen.
Lets go ahead and excuse his behavior so that we can excuse his behavior.
And you have shown your ability to judge someone (McCoy, Hogan, etc), I would bet that "bi*ch" would make you his
-
I don't see any reason he had to kick at the guy.
cause he missed with his left & landed with his right..if we owned a back-up Tackle? would Freddie suspend him another 1 Game? I really don't care who pushed him over before or after the whistle..that's class-less browns football..am not believing the Robbie words of "it looks a lot worse than it really was".. but the NFL did ?
-
This is the last thing I'm going to say about the penalties and the Robinson "kick"-
Penalty's cost us this game. We lost solely because of the penalties. Either self inflicted or gifted by the refs, we can't have them if we want to be who we think we are. Gotta clean it up.
- And why the hell is KENNY FUCKING VACCARRO'S helmet anywhere near Greg Robinson's feet as he's falling down after the play is over. Kenny's a bitch, he deserved it.
This is one of the most asinine things I've ever seen.
Lets go ahead and excuse his behavior so that we can excuse his behavior.
And you have shown your ability to judge someone (McCoy, Hogan, etc), I would bet that "bi*ch" would make you his
This is the last thing I'm going to say about the penalties and the Robinson "kick"-
Penalty's cost us this game. We lost solely because of the penalties. Either self inflicted or gifted by the refs, we can't have them if we want to be who we think we are. Gotta clean it up.
- And why the hell is KENNY FUCKING VACCARRO'S helmet anywhere near Greg Robinson's feet as he's falling down after the play is over. Kenny's a bitch, he deserved it.
This is one of the most asinine things I've ever seen.
Actually, it's not.
I agree that we probably lost because of the penalties. But it's not the fault of the refs.
-
This is the last thing I'm going to say about the penalties and the Robinson "kick"-
Penalty's cost us this game. We lost solely because of the penalties. Either self inflicted or gifted by the refs, we can't have them if we want to be who we think we are. Gotta clean it up.
- And why the hell is KENNY FUCKING VACCARRO'S helmet anywhere near Greg Robinson's feet as he's falling down after the play is over. Kenny's a bitch, he deserved it.
This is one of the most asinine things I've ever seen.
Actually, it's not.
I agree that we probably lost because of the penalties. But it's not the fault of the refs.
This is the last thing I'm going to say about the penalties and the Robinson "kick"-
Penalty's cost us this game. We lost solely because of the penalties. Either self inflicted or gifted by the refs, we can't have them if we want to be who we think we are. Gotta clean it up.
- And why the hell is KENNY FUCKING VACCARRO'S helmet anywhere near Greg Robinson's feet as he's falling down after the play is over. Kenny's a bitch, he deserved it.
Actually, it's not.
I agree that we probably lost because of the penalties. But it's not the fault of the refs.
You must not have read the rest of the thread or understood the context of that comment. My whole point was that they didn't lose because of refs, certainly not to take up for Robinson
-
Just cause I'm still not over how reffing has been..
They said as of last night holding is still up 70% from this time last year. I'm wearing my tin foil hat if anyone wants to join, I got a few extra.
...in all seriousness, that game last night was unwatchable. With yellow on the field seemingly every play (holding) and pouring down rain I didn't even make through the 1st quarter.
-
Just cause I'm still not over how reffing has been..
They said as of last night holding is still up 70% from this time last year. I'm wearing my tin foil hat if anyone wants to join, I got a few extra.
...in all seriousness, that game last night was unwatchable. With yellow on the field seemingly every play (holding) and pouring down rain I didn't even make through the 1st quarter.
Just cause I'm still not over how reffing has been..
They said as of last night holding is still up 70% from this time last year. I'm wearing my tin foil hat if anyone wants to join, I got a few extra.
...in all seriousness, that game last night was unwatchable. With yellow on the field seemingly every play (holding) and pouring down rain I didn't even make through the 1st quarter.
I watch MLB as well as football. It’s amazing at the hair close plays that are called right in baseball. Of course having full time well paid officials helps. I guess the NFL can’t or won’t afford good officiating. Training and money works.
-
Just cause I'm still not over how reffing has been..
They said as of last night holding is still up 70% from this time last year. I'm wearing my tin foil hat if anyone wants to join, I got a few extra.
...in all seriousness, that game last night was unwatchable. With yellow on the field seemingly every play (holding) and pouring down rain I didn't even make through the 1st quarter.
I watch MLB as well as football. It’s amazing at the hair close plays that are called right in baseball. Of course having full time well paid officials helps. I guess the NFL can’t or won’t afford good officiating. Training and money works.
I watch MLB as well as football. It’s amazing at the hair close plays that are called right in baseball. Of course having full time well paid officials helps. I guess the NFL can’t or won’t afford good officiating. Training and money works.
For sure, my dude. I'm not being funny or dramatic when I say it's making the game unwatchable.
the GOAT agrees with me too: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27655167/brady-turns-tnf-citing-ridiculous-penalties
-
I watch MLB as well as football. It’s amazing at the hair close plays that are called right in baseball. Of course having full time well paid officials helps. I guess the NFL can’t or won’t afford good officiating. Training and money works.
For sure, my dude. I'm not being funny or dramatic when I say it's making the game unwatchable.
the GOAT agrees with me too: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27655167/brady-turns-tnf-citing-ridiculous-penalties
For sure, my dude. I'm not being funny or dramatic when I say it's making the game unwatchable.
the GOAT agrees with me too: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27655167/brady-turns-tnf-citing-ridiculous-penalties
You’re right. Makes for a very boring game. I watch the Browns but rarely sit through any other games. When reruns are better than a NFL game......writing on the wall?
-
I don't mind holding or any other call...
I mind bad calls...
... and non-calls.
We saw examples of all three last nite.
Holding was made a "point of emphasis" this year. Often those points are made in the preseason and fade as the real season starts... not so much this go 'round.
I have to wonder if the turnover in the Ref ranks is a factor. What was it I heard... 5 or 6 longtime Refs retired after last season? So others are promoted from wherever and they may be seeing the play from behind the OL for the first time. Then somewhere on the field is a fresh replacement for the retiree making calls at this level for the first time...
And so it goes...
NFL grading and continuing education should reduce the calls over time.
-
I don't mind holding or any other call...
I mind bad calls...
... and non-calls.
We saw examples of all three last nite.
Holding was made a "point of emphasis" this year. Often those points are made in the preseason and fade as the real season starts... not so much this go 'round.
I have to wonder if the turnover in the Ref ranks is a factor. What was it I heard... 5 or 6 longtime Refs retired after last season? So others are promoted from wherever and they may be seeing the play from behind the OL for the first time. Then somewhere on the field is a fresh replacement for the retiree making calls at this level for the first time...
And so it goes...
NFL grading and continuing education should reduce the calls over time.
-
And as for the plethora of body-weight roughing the passer calls...
I think NY needs to look at all sacks related penalties and either confirm or overturn them within 30 seconds.
- Buzz the ref that that they are looking and to hold play...
- Buzz once to confirm... Buzz twice to overturn...
No trotting to the sideline so the ref can see replays and otherwise listen in... quick review and "Play on."
-
I don't mind holding or any other call...
I mind bad calls...
... and non-calls.
We saw examples of all three last nite.
Holding was made a "point of emphasis" this year. Often those points are made in the preseason and fade as the real season starts... not so much this go 'round.
I have to wonder if the turnover in the Ref ranks is a factor. What was it I heard... 5 or 6 longtime Refs retired after last season? So others are promoted from wherever and they may be seeing the play from behind the OL for the first time. Then somewhere on the field is a fresh replacement for the retiree making calls at this level for the first time...
And so it goes...
NFL grading and continuing education should reduce the calls over time.
I don't mind holding or any other call...
I mind bad calls...
... and non-calls.
We saw examples of all three last nite.
Holding was made a "point of emphasis" this year. Often those points are made in the preseason and fade as the real season starts... not so much this go 'round.
I have to wonder if the turnover in the Ref ranks is a factor. What was it I heard... 5 or 6 longtime Refs retired after last season? So others are promoted from wherever and they may be seeing the play from behind the OL for the first time. Then somewhere on the field is a fresh replacement for the retiree making calls at this level for the first time...
And so it goes...
NFL grading and continuing education should reduce the calls over time.
I think to this point, and what still makes me mad about week one, is that if you're going to "emphasize" that you gotta call it both ways. The Browns were extremely sloppy week one, but the 18-5 flag discrepancy was and still is unacceptable. Myles Garrett literally looked at the ref with his helmet almost off his head the ref just shrugged his shoulders. And obviously based on last night the Titans aren't some "disciplined" team.
Point is and continues to be the NFL has a serious referee issue.
-
I don't mind holding or any other call...
I mind bad calls...
... and non-calls.
We saw examples of all three last nite.
Holding was made a "point of emphasis" this year. Often those points are made in the preseason and fade as the real season starts... not so much this go 'round.
I have to wonder if the turnover in the Ref ranks is a factor. What was it I heard... 5 or 6 longtime Refs retired after last season? So others are promoted from wherever and they may be seeing the play from behind the OL for the first time. Then somewhere on the field is a fresh replacement for the retiree making calls at this level for the first time...
And so it goes...
NFL grading and continuing education should reduce the calls over time.
I think to this point, and what still makes me mad about week one, is that if you're going to "emphasize" that you gotta call it both ways. The Browns were extremely sloppy week one, but the 18-5 flag discrepancy was and still is unacceptable. Myles Garrett literally looked at the ref with his helmet almost off his head the ref just shrugged his shoulders. And obviously based on last night the Titans aren't some "disciplined" team.
Point is and continues to be the NFL has a serious referee issue.
I think to this point, and what still makes me mad about week one, is that if you're going to "emphasize" that you gotta call it both ways. The Browns were extremely sloppy week one, but the 18-5 flag discrepancy was and still is unacceptable. Myles Garrett literally looked at the ref with his helmet almost off his head the ref just shrugged his shoulders. And obviously based on last night the Titans aren't some "disciplined" team.
Point is and continues to be the NFL has a serious referee issue.
And to me that led directly to so many hits on Mariotta that I think even commentators were starting to lose count.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login