Skip to content

Personel Issues

The Browns Board
53 15 1.4k 1
  • We don't miss Duke. We miss someone who didn't want to play here. Haha. 

    @alkid3 said:

    We don't miss Duke. We miss someone who didn't want to play here. Haha. 

    I said a guy like him 

  • I kinda think were missing a HC that can win games. 

  • @alkid3 said:

    We don't miss Duke. We miss someone who didn't want to play here. Haha. 

    I said a guy like him 

    @the-gipper said:

    I said a guy like him 

    having Higgins on the field would help Baker..Higgy is a must play next week ?

  • The o-line is getting beat way to fast and easy. 

    And Baker seems to be having trouble reading the defense when he does have time 

  • @alkid3 said:

    We don't miss Duke. We miss someone who didn't want to play here. Haha. 

    I said a guy like him 

    @the-gipper said:

    I said a guy like him 

    You right. Lol I read We miss Duke and I almost chucked my phone. Idk what kind of leader he was but Chubb seems to be doing real good. The other back tho... nope.

  • What I mean is that we need an outlet receiver for times when Baker is in trouble and needs to dump it off. There appears to be NO scheme for that in this offense. So...no checkdown back means that Baker has to scramble and heave the ball downfield..instead of having a safety valve in there.

  • What I mean is that we need an outlet receiver for times when Baker is in trouble and needs to dump it off. There appears to be NO scheme for that in this offense. So...no checkdown back means that Baker has to scramble and heave the ball downfield..instead of having a safety valve in there.

    @the-gipper said:

    What I mean is that we need an outlet receiver for times when Baker is in trouble and needs to dump it off. There appears to be NO scheme for that in this offense. So...no checkdown back means that Baker has to scramble and heave the ball downfield..instead of having a safety valve in there.

    The best QBs always have an offense with a checkdown short pass receiver. Whatever this is our OC runs is very defective, especially with a porous OL.

  • What I mean is that we need an outlet receiver for times when Baker is in trouble and needs to dump it off. There appears to be NO scheme for that in this offense. So...no checkdown back means that Baker has to scramble and heave the ball downfield..instead of having a safety valve in there.

    @the-gipper said:

    What I mean is that we need an outlet receiver for times when Baker is in trouble and needs to dump it off. There appears to be NO scheme for that in this offense. So...no checkdown back means that Baker has to scramble and heave the ball downfield..instead of having a safety valve in there.

    That isn't a personnel issue though.  That's a scheme issue. We have multiple backs who can catch check down passes and get up field afterwards (chubb Hilliard and Johnson are all more than capable). Whether or not we have a guy there is a scheme issue. I'll admit I havent seen a check down guy all too often this year but the times we do have one they are wide open and Baker still doesn't get it to them.

  • @the-gipper said:

    What I mean is that we need an outlet receiver for times when Baker is in trouble and needs to dump it off. There appears to be NO scheme for that in this offense. So...no checkdown back means that Baker has to scramble and heave the ball downfield..instead of having a safety valve in there.

    That isn't a personnel issue though.  That's a scheme issue. We have multiple backs who can catch check down passes and get up field afterwards (chubb Hilliard and Johnson are all more than capable). Whether or not we have a guy there is a scheme issue. I'll admit I havent seen a check down guy all too often this year but the times we do have one they are wide open and Baker still doesn't get it to them.

    @bjh2130 said:

    I'll admit I havent seen a check down guy all too often this year but the times we do have one they are wide open and Baker still doesn't get it to them.

    Soph learning curve or pressure to throw deep every damn play? Whatever it is he's holding the ball too long and is skittish in the pocket even when there is no reason to be so. I saw way too many people running go routes together yesterday all at the same time. Something very wrong there. If it's by design then fix it. If it's by selfishness, then bench whomever is not running the proper route.

  • One thing I've been wondering is with Todd Monken on board, whether Freddie stopped asking the team which plays they like or feel comfortable with. Things that looked effortless last year just don't seem to be comfortable.

  • The weird regression I see in Baker is he’s fleeing the pocket.  Some of the time it isn’t because of Pass rushers. If the ball is snapped and he’s going to his first read he’s in the pocket. If he goes to the second read or what appears to be a second or third WRs he’s not standing in and making the throw.  He’s rolling out sometimes retreating and throwing on the run.  Just a bad habit really.

    Im not saying the line is perfect, but we are seeing tons of zone with backers dropping and the four man blitz.  He’s given time in most of the circumstances and he’s going back to what I describe above.  Baker did a lot of work from the pocket last year and one of his better qualities was feeling the rush and moving around IN the pocket.  I don’t see the same this year. 

    Now the routes are awful too.  I am not impressed with the scheme and the effort so far.  We had a 3rd and 10 yesterday and we three side by side WRs running go routes!??? 

    The line is the convenient excuse- they were really bad in the 4th quarter yesterday.  McCray isn’t a RT in this league.  Hubbard has had some problems too.  Aside from Robinson’s bone head kick he’s serviceable we can certainly have a lot worse out there.  We have bigger problems than this group.  We need Kendall Lam back or we need to make a trade with a team that has tackle depth.  I would say TE is a priority too. 

    The rest is Fixing Baker and scheming better offensively.  Problems 1a and 1b

    I don’t think any major personnel moves need to be made.  Our depth as showcased last night is great defensively.  Bravo to the back 7.

  • The o-line is getting beat way to fast and easy. 

    And Baker seems to be having trouble reading the defense when he does have time 

    @browns149 said:

    The o-line is getting beat way to fast and easy. 

    And Baker seems to be having trouble reading the defense when he does have time 

    That in a nutshell is the major problem. If you're running go routes, Baker isn't having time to throw the ball.  They pointed out Baker was doing OK when he got rid of the ball in 2 seconds or less to negate the Ram's ridiculously good pass rush.  Or is it the Browns o-line is ridiculously bad? Probably not, but as I like to point out the o-line chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, and we currently have a couple weak links LA knew exactly how to exploit. (So much for Ghoolie's continual dime-a-dozen fat ass rags) 

    Thing is going forward,  teams are going to jam the line with bump and run- and bet their pass rush can get to Baker before he can burn them deep on a go route.  

    Guys were complaining after the Jets game about Mayfield holding on to the ball too long. Yesterday that was probably a factor when you're running for your life, it's tough to see guys that are open, and constantly being forced to make off balance throws turns your accuracy to garbage. 

  • @browns149 said:

    The o-line is getting beat way to fast and easy. 

    And Baker seems to be having trouble reading the defense when he does have time 

    That in a nutshell is the major problem. If you're running go routes, Baker isn't having time to throw the ball.  They pointed out Baker was doing OK when he got rid of the ball in 2 seconds or less to negate the Ram's ridiculously good pass rush.  Or is it the Browns o-line is ridiculously bad? Probably not, but as I like to point out the o-line chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, and we currently have a couple weak links LA knew exactly how to exploit. (So much for Ghoolie's continual dime-a-dozen fat ass rags) 

    Thing is going forward,  teams are going to jam the line with bump and run- and bet their pass rush can get to Baker before he can burn them deep on a go route.  

    Guys were complaining after the Jets game about Mayfield holding on to the ball too long. Yesterday that was probably a factor when you're running for your life, it's tough to see guys that are open, and constantly being forced to make off balance throws turns your accuracy to garbage. 

    @hoorta said:

    That in a nutshell is the major problem. 

    Yes.

    QUESTION: What is the easiest way to get rid of your quarterback?

    ANSWER: Have an OL that resembles a piece of Swiss cheese.

  • @the-gipper said:

    What I mean is that we need an outlet receiver for times when Baker is in trouble and needs to dump it off. There appears to be NO scheme for that in this offense. So...no checkdown back means that Baker has to scramble and heave the ball downfield..instead of having a safety valve in there.

    That isn't a personnel issue though.  That's a scheme issue. We have multiple backs who can catch check down passes and get up field afterwards (chubb Hilliard and Johnson are all more than capable). Whether or not we have a guy there is a scheme issue. I'll admit I havent seen a check down guy all too often this year but the times we do have one they are wide open and Baker still doesn't get it to them.

    @bjh2130 said:

    That isn't a personnel issue though.  That's a scheme issue. We have multiple backs who can catch check down passes and get up field afterwards (chubb Hilliard and Johnson are all more than capable). Whether or not we have a guy there is a scheme issue. I'll admit I havent seen a check down guy all too often this year but the times we do have one they are wide open and Baker still doesn't get it to them.

    Well....for some reason when Duke was here, they did have him play that role, but now they aren't.  I am sure the guys we have could do it, so it probably is primarily a scheme issue.  And, OK, Baker does have to learn to look for that more.  Of course, it would help if he were taught to do so....and I am not sure he is being coached to do that.

  • The weird regression I see in Baker is he’s fleeing the pocket.  Some of the time it isn’t because of Pass rushers. If the ball is snapped and he’s going to his first read he’s in the pocket. If he goes to the second read or what appears to be a second or third WRs he’s not standing in and making the throw.  He’s rolling out sometimes retreating and throwing on the run.  Just a bad habit really.

    Im not saying the line is perfect, but we are seeing tons of zone with backers dropping and the four man blitz.  He’s given time in most of the circumstances and he’s going back to what I describe above.  Baker did a lot of work from the pocket last year and one of his better qualities was feeling the rush and moving around IN the pocket.  I don’t see the same this year. 

    Now the routes are awful too.  I am not impressed with the scheme and the effort so far.  We had a 3rd and 10 yesterday and we three side by side WRs running go routes!??? 

    The line is the convenient excuse- they were really bad in the 4th quarter yesterday.  McCray isn’t a RT in this league.  Hubbard has had some problems too.  Aside from Robinson’s bone head kick he’s serviceable we can certainly have a lot worse out there.  We have bigger problems than this group.  We need Kendall Lam back or we need to make a trade with a team that has tackle depth.  I would say TE is a priority too. 

    The rest is Fixing Baker and scheming better offensively.  Problems 1a and 1b

    I don’t think any major personnel moves need to be made.  Our depth as showcased last night is great defensively.  Bravo to the back 7.

    @sdbacker80 said:

    The weird regression I see in Baker is he’s fleeing the pocket.  Some of the time it isn’t because of Pass rushers. If the ball is snapped and he’s going to his first read he’s in the pocket. If he goes to the second read or what appears to be a second or third WRs he’s not standing in and making the throw.  He’s rolling out sometimes retreating and throwing on the run.  Just a bad habit really.

    Im not saying the line is perfect, but we are seeing tons of zone with backers dropping and the four man blitz.  He’s given time in most of the circumstances and he’s going back to what I describe above.  Baker did a lot of work from the pocket last year and one of his better qualities was feeling the rush and moving around IN the pocket.  I don’t see the same this year. 

    Now the routes are awful too.  I am not impressed with the scheme and the effort so far.  We had a 3rd and 10 yesterday and we three side by side WRs running go routes!??? 

    The line is the convenient excuse- they were really bad in the 4th quarter yesterday.  McCray isn’t a RT in this league.  Hubbard has had some problems too.  Aside from Robinson’s bone head kick he’s serviceable we can certainly have a lot worse out there.  We have bigger problems than this group.  We need Kendall Lam back or we need to make a trade with a team that has tackle depth.  I would say TE is a priority too. 

    The rest is Fixing Baker and scheming better offensively.  Problems 1a and 1b

    I don’t think any major personnel moves need to be made.  Our depth as showcased last night is great defensively.  Bravo to the back 7.

    I disagree to this point......IF they are going to be so pourous as to let the interior D line of the opponents get on Baker's ass in 1.5 seconds....like they did last night.....then an asskicking blocking Fullback could possibly help in that area.  A second line of defense, if you will.   Baker is not going through his progressions mainly because he has no time to go through his progressions.  (Ergo, I also disagree with you statement that "He's give time in most circumstances"...totally disagree with that....at least as far a last night is concerned.)

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    The weird regression I see in Baker is he’s fleeing the pocket.  Some of the time it isn’t because of Pass rushers. If the ball is snapped and he’s going to his first read he’s in the pocket. If he goes to the second read or what appears to be a second or third WRs he’s not standing in and making the throw.  He’s rolling out sometimes retreating and throwing on the run.  Just a bad habit really.

    Im not saying the line is perfect, but we are seeing tons of zone with backers dropping and the four man blitz.  He’s given time in most of the circumstances and he’s going back to what I describe above.  Baker did a lot of work from the pocket last year and one of his better qualities was feeling the rush and moving around IN the pocket.  I don’t see the same this year. 

    Now the routes are awful too.  I am not impressed with the scheme and the effort so far.  We had a 3rd and 10 yesterday and we three side by side WRs running go routes!??? 

    The line is the convenient excuse- they were really bad in the 4th quarter yesterday.  McCray isn’t a RT in this league.  Hubbard has had some problems too.  Aside from Robinson’s bone head kick he’s serviceable we can certainly have a lot worse out there.  We have bigger problems than this group.  We need Kendall Lam back or we need to make a trade with a team that has tackle depth.  I would say TE is a priority too. 

    The rest is Fixing Baker and scheming better offensively.  Problems 1a and 1b

    I don’t think any major personnel moves need to be made.  Our depth as showcased last night is great defensively.  Bravo to the back 7.

    I disagree to this point......IF they are going to be so pourous as to let the interior D line of the opponents get on Baker's ass in 1.5 seconds....like they did last night.....then an asskicking blocking Fullback could possibly help in that area.  A second line of defense, if you will.   Baker is not going through his progressions mainly because he has no time to go through his progressions.  (Ergo, I also disagree with you statement that "He's give time in most circumstances"...totally disagree with that....at least as far a last night is concerned.)

    @the-gipper said:

    I disagree to this point......IF they are going to be so pourous as to let the interior D line of the opponents get on Baker's ass in 1.5 seconds....like they did last night.....then an asskicking blocking Fullback could possibly help in that area.  A second line of defense, if you will.   Baker is not going through his progressions mainly because he has no time to go through his progressions.  (Ergo, I also disagree with you statement that "He's give time in most circumstances"...totally disagree with that....at least as far a last night is concerned.)

    ^^^^ I'll say this Gipper it was easy to see why Donald is a multiple D-MVP winner. Bunch of times he blew through there essentially untouched before our o-line even stood up....  

    Myles has some serious catching up to do if he wants to get that honor....  

  • @the-gipper said:

    I disagree to this point......IF they are going to be so pourous as to let the interior D line of the opponents get on Baker's ass in 1.5 seconds....like they did last night.....then an asskicking blocking Fullback could possibly help in that area.  A second line of defense, if you will.   Baker is not going through his progressions mainly because he has no time to go through his progressions.  (Ergo, I also disagree with you statement that "He's give time in most circumstances"...totally disagree with that....at least as far a last night is concerned.)

    ^^^^ I'll say this Gipper it was easy to see why Donald is a multiple D-MVP winner. Bunch of times he blew through there essentially untouched before our o-line even stood up....  

    Myles has some serious catching up to do if he wants to get that honor....  

    @hoorta said:

    ^^^^ I'll say this Gipper it was easy to see why Donald is a multiple D-MVP winner. Bunch of times he blew through there essentially untouched before our o-line even stood up....  

    Myles has some serious catching up to do if he wants to get that honor....  

    I know he did....but would it not have helped to have had a FB back there to slow him down a bit at least after he blew through our line? 

  • @hoorta said:

    ^^^^ I'll say this Gipper it was easy to see why Donald is a multiple D-MVP winner. Bunch of times he blew through there essentially untouched before our o-line even stood up....  

    Myles has some serious catching up to do if he wants to get that honor....  

    I know he did....but would it not have helped to have had a FB back there to slow him down a bit at least after he blew through our line? 

    @the-gipper said:

    I know he did....but would it not have helped to have had a FB back there to slow him down a bit at least after he blew through our line? 

    I don't particularly have your fullback-a philia...:)  If the Browns were that worried about it, I suppose having Chubb or one of the TEs back there would have been about as effective as a designated fullback... 😁  Donald is so fast, you can almost use his speed against him- just have a body to get in his way....  And since he lines up in multiple places- that's not always going to work.  

    PS- still having Duke on the roster wouldn't have helped much, MHO. I don't think there's a player in the NFL who can block Aaron one on one.  

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    The weird regression I see in Baker is he’s fleeing the pocket.  Some of the time it isn’t because of Pass rushers. If the ball is snapped and he’s going to his first read he’s in the pocket. If he goes to the second read or what appears to be a second or third WRs he’s not standing in and making the throw.  He’s rolling out sometimes retreating and throwing on the run.  Just a bad habit really.

    Im not saying the line is perfect, but we are seeing tons of zone with backers dropping and the four man blitz.  He’s given time in most of the circumstances and he’s going back to what I describe above.  Baker did a lot of work from the pocket last year and one of his better qualities was feeling the rush and moving around IN the pocket.  I don’t see the same this year. 

    Now the routes are awful too.  I am not impressed with the scheme and the effort so far.  We had a 3rd and 10 yesterday and we three side by side WRs running go routes!??? 

    The line is the convenient excuse- they were really bad in the 4th quarter yesterday.  McCray isn’t a RT in this league.  Hubbard has had some problems too.  Aside from Robinson’s bone head kick he’s serviceable we can certainly have a lot worse out there.  We have bigger problems than this group.  We need Kendall Lam back or we need to make a trade with a team that has tackle depth.  I would say TE is a priority too. 

    The rest is Fixing Baker and scheming better offensively.  Problems 1a and 1b

    I don’t think any major personnel moves need to be made.  Our depth as showcased last night is great defensively.  Bravo to the back 7.

    I disagree to this point......IF they are going to be so pourous as to let the interior D line of the opponents get on Baker's ass in 1.5 seconds....like they did last night.....then an asskicking blocking Fullback could possibly help in that area.  A second line of defense, if you will.   Baker is not going through his progressions mainly because he has no time to go through his progressions.  (Ergo, I also disagree with you statement that "He's give time in most circumstances"...totally disagree with that....at least as far a last night is concerned.)

    @the-gipper said:

    I disagree to this point......IF they are going to be so pourous as to let the interior D line of the opponents get on Baker's ass in 1.5 seconds....like they did last night.....then an asskicking blocking Fullback could possibly help in that area.  A second line of defense, if you will.   Baker is not going through his progressions mainly because he has no time to go through his progressions.  (Ergo, I also disagree with you statement that "He's give time in most circumstances"...totally disagree with that....at least as far a last night is concerned.)

    I thought Dernest Johnson did a great job at blitz pickup last week against the Jets. He had two snaps yesterday. 

    If we are in such dire need of TE and we don’t have a good unit there why not go FB- so to that point I agree.

    the line played poorly for a lot of the second half last night.

    but if you honestly look at most of our pass plays he has more than 1.5 seconds it may not seem like in fact it won’t seem like when he’s leaving the pocket with NO pressure on him.  He’s doing it a ton.  Watch the tape. It’s a problem makes you susceptible to pressure on the outside too something we aren’t accustomed to handling especially with a backup guard playing right tackle.

    Baker and our O scheme is the problem.  Next I’d put Oline particularly the RT spot, TE personnel grouping and Higgins being out.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I disagree to this point......IF they are going to be so pourous as to let the interior D line of the opponents get on Baker's ass in 1.5 seconds....like they did last night.....then an asskicking blocking Fullback could possibly help in that area.  A second line of defense, if you will.   Baker is not going through his progressions mainly because he has no time to go through his progressions.  (Ergo, I also disagree with you statement that "He's give time in most circumstances"...totally disagree with that....at least as far a last night is concerned.)

    ^^^^ I'll say this Gipper it was easy to see why Donald is a multiple D-MVP winner. Bunch of times he blew through there essentially untouched before our o-line even stood up....  

    Myles has some serious catching up to do if he wants to get that honor....  

    @hoorta said:

    ^^^^ I'll say this Gipper it was easy to see why Donald is a multiple D-MVP winner. Bunch of times he blew through there essentially untouched before our o-line even stood up....  

    Myles has some serious catching up to do if he wants to get that honor....  

    I’m going to play devils advocate...he left some huge rush lanes that we took too long to exploit.

    you RUN at him, you trap him - take him up field and hit the spot he vacated.  We had some nice runs at him not so much when he wasn’t cutting off the backside and making plays across the field.

    unbelievable talent but you can scheme him out for some of the game in fact use his penetration against him