Skip to content

Not only did the LA RAMS beat the BROWNS they beat up the books in Vegas

The Browns Board
34 6 900
  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #7

    I parley vous parley...

    ... but WTF is a "teaser"?

  • Do we care if casinos lose money?

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @the-gipper said:

    Do we care if casinos lose money?

    Are you playing board content manager again? 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Do we care if casinos lose money?

    Are you playing board content manager again? 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @dutch-oven said:

    Are you playing board content manager again? 

    No, I am just saying that if the subject of this thread is that the casinos lost money  on bets on the NFL over the weekend, I am not going to throw a pity party for them.   The system is generally rigged in their favor, so, if they take a bath every once in a while....all the more good for the wagering public.  Like I said/asked:  who here cares if the casinos lose some money?

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Are you playing board content manager again? 

    No, I am just saying that if the subject of this thread is that the casinos lost money  on bets on the NFL over the weekend, I am not going to throw a pity party for them.   The system is generally rigged in their favor, so, if they take a bath every once in a while....all the more good for the wagering public.  Like I said/asked:  who here cares if the casinos lose some money?

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @the-gipper said:

    No, I am just saying that if the subject of this thread is that the casinos lost money  on bets on the NFL over the weekend, I am not going to throw a pity party for them.   The system is generally rigged in their favor, so, if they take a bath every once in a while....all the more good for the wagering public.  Like I said/asked:  who here cares if the casinos lose some money?

    Of course no one cares if they lose money, they're not in business to lose money. So they took a bath this weekend. I have to think with a lot of states legalizing gambling, the people willing to travel to Vegas to gamble has to have gone down.  

  • I parley vous parley...

    ... but WTF is a "teaser"?

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @tour2ma said:

    I parley vous parley...

    ... but WTF is a "teaser"?

    I'm glad you asked......

    A teaser (or a "two-team teaser") is a type of gambling bet that allows the bettor to combine his bets on two different games.[1] The bettor can adjust the point spreads for the two games, but realizes a lower return on the bets in the event of a win.

    A teaser is a type of wager used in sports betting, most commonly in basketball and football. This wager is a multi-team wager, allowing the bettor to choose a minimum of two teams up to, in some cases, 15 teams. The bettor will get points on his favor to add or subtract to the teams chosen to improve the point spread chosen.

    There are two types of teasers. The first kind, known as a "Super Teaser," "Special Teaser," "Big Teaser," or "Monster Teaser, " allows the bettor to choose three, four, or in some cases five teams, and gives a larger number of points to add or subtract to the spread of the selections chosen. In return, the bettor will receive less money than the one risked in the bet.

    The second type of teaser, known as a "Vegas Teaser," or simply a "Teaser," is more of a combination between a parlay and the first teaser explained. In this case, the bettor will receive fewer points to adjust the spread of the selections chosen, but the more teams chosen in the wager (from two to 15 in some cases), the higher the payout will be.

    Normally, if these bets are played together as a parlay, a bettor will win $260 on a $100 bet. However, with a teaser, the bettor will win $100 on a $110 bet, 10 to 11 odds. The reasoning is that one will get 6 points to adjust the spread (in either direction).

    If one bets on Pittsburgh, a +2.5 underdog, they are now +8.5 underdogs (+2.5 + 6).

    If one bets on Green Bay, a -2.5 favorite, they now become +3.5 underdogs (-2.5 + 6).

    Bet on the over and the line is 39.5 (45.5 - 6).

    Bet on the under and the line is 51.5 (45.5 + 6).

    Many bettors like the teaser bet because it gives the bettor more cushion, but like a parlay, one must hit all aspects of the bet to win. There is still debate among experienced sports bettors if teasers are good wagers or not. Opinions vary on the subject, with some believing they are poor option, while others believe they are worthwhile, especially as more games tend to fall close to the point spread.[1]

    Many sportsbooks also offer teaser cards (similar to parlay cards). In most cases, teasers must involve 3 or more teams, and spreads and totals have half points to avoid ties. Cards are usually printed in the morning (Every Wednesday morning for football) and the lines on the cards are fixed, though the book reserves the right to take the games off the board.

  • I parley vous parley...

    ... but WTF is a "teaser"?

    NeroN Nero wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @tour2ma said:

    I parley vous parley...

    ... but WTF is a "teaser"?

    I was thinking about a film teaser or, given that we are talking about Vegas, a hooker. 

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #13

    Adjusting lines out of a pool of purchased points... interesting.

    Once upon at work I started a "Pick'em" game with a twist. Each week's winner got to set the lines of the following week's games. Some used the Vegas lines, which was fine, others, like me, made our own lines based upon how well our poorly matched we felt the teams were. It produced some interesting lines to say the least...

    One aside... I made a bet with a Manager once on the Bears-Pats SB... yes, those SB shufflin', '85 Bears. I think the Vegas line was in the low teens... I offered 15... After the handshake he smirked and said he's have taken 10 to which I counter-smirked and said I'd have given 20.

    He did pay me. 🙂

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #14

    Meanwhile back at the thread...

    I wonder how much the legalized sports betting in NJ is hurting Vegas.

    When the number of bettors declines it's obvious that the profitability declines, but beyond that you now have the potential for regionalized bias. And in this case that would put LA's LAR money out of balance with east-of-the-Mississippi money.

  • @tour2ma said:

    I parley vous parley...

    ... but WTF is a "teaser"?

    I was thinking about a film teaser or, given that we are talking about Vegas, a hooker. 

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @nero said:

    I was thinking about a film teaser or, given that we are talking about Vegas, a hooker. 

    Same thing.  😆

  • Meanwhile back at the thread...

    I wonder how much the legalized sports betting in NJ is hurting Vegas.

    When the number of bettors declines it's obvious that the profitability declines, but beyond that you now have the potential for regionalized bias. And in this case that would put LA's LAR money out of balance with east-of-the-Mississippi money.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @tour2ma said:

    Meanwhile back at the thread...

    I wonder how much the legalized sports betting in NJ is hurting Vegas.

    When the number of bettors declines it's obvious that the profitability declines, but beyond that you now have the potential for regionalized bias. And in this case that would put LA's LAR money out of balance with east-of-the-Mississippi money.

    A few months ago NJ sports betting passed Nevada for the first time ever. Within 5 years somewhere between 30 and 40 states will have running sports betting...... just like buying a lottery ticket now.

    Vegas is really taking a hit and will continue to do so.

    From the AGA American Gaming Association:

    Screenshot_2019-09-25_103526.jpg

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #17

    Yeah sports betting in Hawai'i the Aloha state and my favorite vacation spot.

    Is this a great country or what!

  • @tour2ma said:

    I parley vous parley...

    ... but WTF is a "teaser"?

    I was thinking about a film teaser or, given that we are talking about Vegas, a hooker. 

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #18

    @nero said:

    I was thinking about a film teaser or, given that we are talking about Vegas, a hooker. 

    Oh BTW brother Nero before you pack your bags and get your American Express traveler's cheques remember prostitution is legal in Nevada but not in Lost Wages or Reno the two big gambling hotspots.

    (Oh it ain't cheap either, well at least the legal ones.  😉)

    Screenshot_2019-09-25_115011.jpg

  • @tour2ma said:

    Meanwhile back at the thread...

    I wonder how much the legalized sports betting in NJ is hurting Vegas.

    When the number of bettors declines it's obvious that the profitability declines, but beyond that you now have the potential for regionalized bias. And in this case that would put LA's LAR money out of balance with east-of-the-Mississippi money.

    A few months ago NJ sports betting passed Nevada for the first time ever. Within 5 years somewhere between 30 and 40 states will have running sports betting...... just like buying a lottery ticket now.

    Vegas is really taking a hit and will continue to do so.

    From the AGA American Gaming Association:

    Screenshot_2019-09-25_103526.jpg

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @mjp28 said:

    A few months ago NJ sports betting passed Nevada for the first time ever. Within 5 years somewhere between 30 and 40 states will have running sports betting...... just like buying a lottery ticket now.

    Vegas is really taking a hit and will continue to do so.

    From the AGA American Gaming Association:

    Screenshot_2019-09-25_103526.jpg

    So...what is the status of Ohio?  Hard to tell from this graph.

  • @mjp28 said:

    A few months ago NJ sports betting passed Nevada for the first time ever. Within 5 years somewhere between 30 and 40 states will have running sports betting...... just like buying a lottery ticket now.

    Vegas is really taking a hit and will continue to do so.

    From the AGA American Gaming Association:

    Screenshot_2019-09-25_103526.jpg

    So...what is the status of Ohio?  Hard to tell from this graph.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @the-gipper said:

    So...what is the status of Ohio?  Hard to tell from this graph.

    I've heard of several stories on the little turf war going on about which department will oversee it but here's a slightly clearer map and every state's status.

    https://www.sbnation.com/a/sports-betting-gambling-state-legislation-tracker

    Screenshot_2019-09-25_161718.jpg

  • @the-gipper said:

    So...what is the status of Ohio?  Hard to tell from this graph.

    I've heard of several stories on the little turf war going on about which department will oversee it but here's a slightly clearer map and every state's status.

    https://www.sbnation.com/a/sports-betting-gambling-state-legislation-tracker

    Screenshot_2019-09-25_161718.jpg

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @mjp28 said:

    I've heard of several stories on the little turf war going on about which department will oversee it but here's a slightly clearer map and every state's status.

    https://www.sbnation.com/a/sports-betting-gambling-state-legislation-tracker

    Screenshot_2019-09-25_161718.jpg

    Interesting that Florida has not taken any steps so far.  And yes, I hear that their is a turf war for control between the Lottery Commission and the Casino Commission. 

  • I parley vous parley...

    ... but WTF is a "teaser"?

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #22

    @tour2ma said:

    I parley vous parley...

    ... but WTF is a "teaser"?

    BTW on the LAR (-3) 20 CLE 13 game if you bet $100 on LAR + UN on a regular parlay you would have won about $260.

    If you bet a teaser on either team + OV  lost.  CLE + UN lost only LAR +'UN paid off about $100.  In this case the teaser was not a good main or backup bet the points were too far off.

    In close games they can be a good backup or even main bet.   ¿Entender?

  • @tour2ma said:

    I parley vous parley...

    ... but WTF is a "teaser"?

    BTW on the LAR (-3) 20 CLE 13 game if you bet $100 on LAR + UN on a regular parlay you would have won about $260.

    If you bet a teaser on either team + OV  lost.  CLE + UN lost only LAR +'UN paid off about $100.  In this case the teaser was not a good main or backup bet the points were too far off.

    In close games they can be a good backup or even main bet.   ¿Entender?

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @mjp28 said:

    ¿Entender?

    No...

    Used to go to the dog track in Dickenson, TX... loved it... and got to love it too much. More on this below...

    One thing I was never good at was seeing "cover bets". Fortunately I had a friend and mentor who was.

    Started going to the track with large groups from work. We'd pool money and every visit would include at least one "IRS" win. We always walked out winners.

    Over time the size of the group dwindled until it was my friend and I. But he worked rotating shift, so couldn't go some weeks. I started going by myself. Most nights I did OK... win $100 here... lose $100 there... then the swings increased.

    Finally one nite I was down ~$400 going into Race 12 and I wheeled an Exacta... 1 dog (the clear fav) over 3 that I saw as equal. The fav won easily and two of my 3 finshed in a dead heat for 2nd. I was thrilled to learn my bet paid both ways... I walked out even-ish... I never went back.

    Jugador... conocete a ti mismo
  • @mjp28 said:

    ¿Entender?

    No...

    Used to go to the dog track in Dickenson, TX... loved it... and got to love it too much. More on this below...

    One thing I was never good at was seeing "cover bets". Fortunately I had a friend and mentor who was.

    Started going to the track with large groups from work. We'd pool money and every visit would include at least one "IRS" win. We always walked out winners.

    Over time the size of the group dwindled until it was my friend and I. But he worked rotating shift, so couldn't go some weeks. I started going by myself. Most nights I did OK... win $100 here... lose $100 there... then the swings increased.

    Finally one nite I was down ~$400 going into Race 12 and I wheeled an Exacta... 1 dog (the clear fav) over 3 that I saw as equal. The fav won easily and two of my 3 finshed in a dead heat for 2nd. I was thrilled to learn my bet paid both ways... I walked out even-ish... I never went back.

    Jugador... conocete a ti mismo
    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #24

    @tour2ma said:

    Used to go to the dog track in Dickenson, TX... loved it... and got to love it too much. More on this below...

    One thing I was never good at was seeing "cover bets". Fortunately I had a friend and mentor who was.

    Started going to the track with large groups from work. We'd pool money and every visit would include at least one "IRS" win. We always walked out winners.

    Jugador... conocete a ti mismo .......I take ducolax suppositories for that.

    I loved the quarter horses used to go to Waterford Park now Mountaineer in northern West by God Virginia near East Liverpool, Ohio. Went there frequently in college and afterwards for years, great date night trip.

    I never could get into the dogs or sulky house races.

    Once at Waterford Park unit a big trifecta and when in line at the big payout window an old geezer came up to me and offered to cash out my ticket to avoid the tax hit for a small fee. Being young and cautious I said no I was not letting go of the ticket.  TIP for all you gamblers out there save ALL of your losing lotto tickets, house race or any other tickets if you itemize your taxes you can write off winning gambling amounts on the W-9 from the IRS up to the amount of your PROVEN losses.

    People who claim they are professional gamblers can write off some expenses slso......and many do making a living playing poker (I know one) or live in Vegas and gamble for a living. Gambling winnings ARE taxable whether legal or illegal that's how they catch the bad guys tax evasion.  (I did taxes for years on the side.)

  • @tour2ma said:

    Used to go to the dog track in Dickenson, TX... loved it... and got to love it too much. More on this below...

    One thing I was never good at was seeing "cover bets". Fortunately I had a friend and mentor who was.

    Started going to the track with large groups from work. We'd pool money and every visit would include at least one "IRS" win. We always walked out winners.

    Jugador... conocete a ti mismo .......I take ducolax suppositories for that.

    I loved the quarter horses used to go to Waterford Park now Mountaineer in northern West by God Virginia near East Liverpool, Ohio. Went there frequently in college and afterwards for years, great date night trip.

    I never could get into the dogs or sulky house races.

    Once at Waterford Park unit a big trifecta and when in line at the big payout window an old geezer came up to me and offered to cash out my ticket to avoid the tax hit for a small fee. Being young and cautious I said no I was not letting go of the ticket.  TIP for all you gamblers out there save ALL of your losing lotto tickets, house race or any other tickets if you itemize your taxes you can write off winning gambling amounts on the W-9 from the IRS up to the amount of your PROVEN losses.

    People who claim they are professional gamblers can write off some expenses slso......and many do making a living playing poker (I know one) or live in Vegas and gamble for a living. Gambling winnings ARE taxable whether legal or illegal that's how they catch the bad guys tax evasion.  (I did taxes for years on the side.)

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @mjp28 said:

    Gambling winnings ARE taxable whether legal or illegal that's how they catch the bad guys tax evasion.  (I did taxes for years on the side.)

    Why would someone who gambles illegally ever admit that they made money off of it by claiming the winnings?

    What I mean is, if I drove out to Youngstown and placed a bet on a Monday Night Football Game with "Bookie X" and won, there isn't a chance in hell I would ever claim that I did such a thing.  

  • @mjp28 said:

    Gambling winnings ARE taxable whether legal or illegal that's how they catch the bad guys tax evasion.  (I did taxes for years on the side.)

    Why would someone who gambles illegally ever admit that they made money off of it by claiming the winnings?

    What I mean is, if I drove out to Youngstown and placed a bet on a Monday Night Football Game with "Bookie X" and won, there isn't a chance in hell I would ever claim that I did such a thing.  

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #26

    @dutch-oven said:

    Why would someone who gambles illegally ever admit that they made money off of it by claiming the winnings?

    What I mean is, if I drove out to Youngstown and placed a bet on a Monday Night Football Game with "Bookie X" and won, there isn't a chance in hell I would ever claim that I did such a thing.  

    That's just the thing some gambling is legal like the Ohio lottery, horse racing and those killer winner take all church BINGO games. (those grandma's are serious!)

    But some gambling is strictly illegal -but- still taxable.

    Al Capone was making an estimated $2 million a year (+/-) a lot during the Great Depression the FBI couldn't get to him but an accountant-type had an idea audit him and make him prove his income to support his lavish lifestyle (in Federal tax cases the burden of proof is on YOU).  He couldn't come close and they got him not on murder or racketeering but the dreaded TAX EVASION!

    He died in prison allegedly of syphilis.