Not only did the LA RAMS beat the BROWNS they beat up the books in Vegas
-
Meanwhile back at the thread...
I wonder how much the legalized sports betting in NJ is hurting Vegas.
When the number of bettors declines it's obvious that the profitability declines, but beyond that you now have the potential for regionalized bias. And in this case that would put LA's LAR money out of balance with east-of-the-Mississippi money.
A few months ago NJ sports betting passed Nevada for the first time ever. Within 5 years somewhere between 30 and 40 states will have running sports betting...... just like buying a lottery ticket now.
Vegas is really taking a hit and will continue to do so.
From the AGA American Gaming Association:
A few months ago NJ sports betting passed Nevada for the first time ever. Within 5 years somewhere between 30 and 40 states will have running sports betting...... just like buying a lottery ticket now.
Vegas is really taking a hit and will continue to do so.
From the AGA American Gaming Association:
So...what is the status of Ohio? Hard to tell from this graph.
-
A few months ago NJ sports betting passed Nevada for the first time ever. Within 5 years somewhere between 30 and 40 states will have running sports betting...... just like buying a lottery ticket now.
Vegas is really taking a hit and will continue to do so.
From the AGA American Gaming Association:
So...what is the status of Ohio? Hard to tell from this graph.
So...what is the status of Ohio? Hard to tell from this graph.
I've heard of several stories on the little turf war going on about which department will oversee it but here's a slightly clearer map and every state's status.
https://www.sbnation.com/a/sports-betting-gambling-state-legislation-tracker
-
So...what is the status of Ohio? Hard to tell from this graph.
I've heard of several stories on the little turf war going on about which department will oversee it but here's a slightly clearer map and every state's status.
https://www.sbnation.com/a/sports-betting-gambling-state-legislation-tracker
I've heard of several stories on the little turf war going on about which department will oversee it but here's a slightly clearer map and every state's status.
https://www.sbnation.com/a/sports-betting-gambling-state-legislation-tracker
Interesting that Florida has not taken any steps so far. And yes, I hear that their is a turf war for control between the Lottery Commission and the Casino Commission.
-
I parley vous parley...
... but WTF is a "teaser"?
BTW on the LAR (-3) 20 CLE 13 game if you bet $100 on LAR + UN on a regular parlay you would have won about $260.
If you bet a teaser on either team + OV lost. CLE + UN lost only LAR +'UN paid off about $100. In this case the teaser was not a good main or backup bet the points were too far off.
In close games they can be a good backup or even main bet. ¿Entender?
-
I parley vous parley...
... but WTF is a "teaser"?
BTW on the LAR (-3) 20 CLE 13 game if you bet $100 on LAR + UN on a regular parlay you would have won about $260.
If you bet a teaser on either team + OV lost. CLE + UN lost only LAR +'UN paid off about $100. In this case the teaser was not a good main or backup bet the points were too far off.
In close games they can be a good backup or even main bet. ¿Entender?
¿Entender?
No...
Used to go to the dog track in Dickenson, TX... loved it... and got to love it too much. More on this below...
One thing I was never good at was seeing "cover bets". Fortunately I had a friend and mentor who was.
Started going to the track with large groups from work. We'd pool money and every visit would include at least one "IRS" win. We always walked out winners.
Over time the size of the group dwindled until it was my friend and I. But he worked rotating shift, so couldn't go some weeks. I started going by myself. Most nights I did OK... win $100 here... lose $100 there... then the swings increased.
Finally one nite I was down ~$400 going into Race 12 and I wheeled an Exacta... 1 dog (the clear fav) over 3 that I saw as equal. The fav won easily and two of my 3 finshed in a dead heat for 2nd. I was thrilled to learn my bet paid both ways... I walked out even-ish... I never went back.
Jugador... conocete a ti mismo -
¿Entender?
No...
Used to go to the dog track in Dickenson, TX... loved it... and got to love it too much. More on this below...
One thing I was never good at was seeing "cover bets". Fortunately I had a friend and mentor who was.
Started going to the track with large groups from work. We'd pool money and every visit would include at least one "IRS" win. We always walked out winners.
Over time the size of the group dwindled until it was my friend and I. But he worked rotating shift, so couldn't go some weeks. I started going by myself. Most nights I did OK... win $100 here... lose $100 there... then the swings increased.
Finally one nite I was down ~$400 going into Race 12 and I wheeled an Exacta... 1 dog (the clear fav) over 3 that I saw as equal. The fav won easily and two of my 3 finshed in a dead heat for 2nd. I was thrilled to learn my bet paid both ways... I walked out even-ish... I never went back.
Jugador... conocete a ti mismoUsed to go to the dog track in Dickenson, TX... loved it... and got to love it too much. More on this below...
One thing I was never good at was seeing "cover bets". Fortunately I had a friend and mentor who was.
Started going to the track with large groups from work. We'd pool money and every visit would include at least one "IRS" win. We always walked out winners.
Jugador... conocete a ti mismo .......I take ducolax suppositories for that.I loved the quarter horses used to go to Waterford Park now Mountaineer in northern West by God Virginia near East Liverpool, Ohio. Went there frequently in college and afterwards for years, great date night trip.
I never could get into the dogs or sulky house races.
Once at Waterford Park unit a big trifecta and when in line at the big payout window an old geezer came up to me and offered to cash out my ticket to avoid the tax hit for a small fee. Being young and cautious I said no I was not letting go of the ticket. TIP for all you gamblers out there save ALL of your losing lotto tickets, house race or any other tickets if you itemize your taxes you can write off winning gambling amounts on the W-9 from the IRS up to the amount of your PROVEN losses.
People who claim they are professional gamblers can write off some expenses slso......and many do making a living playing poker (I know one) or live in Vegas and gamble for a living. Gambling winnings ARE taxable whether legal or illegal that's how they catch the bad guys tax evasion. (I did taxes for years on the side.)
-
Used to go to the dog track in Dickenson, TX... loved it... and got to love it too much. More on this below...
One thing I was never good at was seeing "cover bets". Fortunately I had a friend and mentor who was.
Started going to the track with large groups from work. We'd pool money and every visit would include at least one "IRS" win. We always walked out winners.
Jugador... conocete a ti mismo .......I take ducolax suppositories for that.I loved the quarter horses used to go to Waterford Park now Mountaineer in northern West by God Virginia near East Liverpool, Ohio. Went there frequently in college and afterwards for years, great date night trip.
I never could get into the dogs or sulky house races.
Once at Waterford Park unit a big trifecta and when in line at the big payout window an old geezer came up to me and offered to cash out my ticket to avoid the tax hit for a small fee. Being young and cautious I said no I was not letting go of the ticket. TIP for all you gamblers out there save ALL of your losing lotto tickets, house race or any other tickets if you itemize your taxes you can write off winning gambling amounts on the W-9 from the IRS up to the amount of your PROVEN losses.
People who claim they are professional gamblers can write off some expenses slso......and many do making a living playing poker (I know one) or live in Vegas and gamble for a living. Gambling winnings ARE taxable whether legal or illegal that's how they catch the bad guys tax evasion. (I did taxes for years on the side.)
Gambling winnings ARE taxable whether legal or illegal that's how they catch the bad guys tax evasion. (I did taxes for years on the side.)
Why would someone who gambles illegally ever admit that they made money off of it by claiming the winnings?
What I mean is, if I drove out to Youngstown and placed a bet on a Monday Night Football Game with "Bookie X" and won, there isn't a chance in hell I would ever claim that I did such a thing.
-
Gambling winnings ARE taxable whether legal or illegal that's how they catch the bad guys tax evasion. (I did taxes for years on the side.)
Why would someone who gambles illegally ever admit that they made money off of it by claiming the winnings?
What I mean is, if I drove out to Youngstown and placed a bet on a Monday Night Football Game with "Bookie X" and won, there isn't a chance in hell I would ever claim that I did such a thing.
Why would someone who gambles illegally ever admit that they made money off of it by claiming the winnings?
What I mean is, if I drove out to Youngstown and placed a bet on a Monday Night Football Game with "Bookie X" and won, there isn't a chance in hell I would ever claim that I did such a thing.
That's just the thing some gambling is legal like the Ohio lottery, horse racing and those killer winner take all church BINGO games. (those grandma's are serious!)
But some gambling is strictly illegal -but- still taxable.
Al Capone was making an estimated $2 million a year (+/-) a lot during the Great Depression the FBI couldn't get to him but an accountant-type had an idea audit him and make him prove his income to support his lavish lifestyle (in Federal tax cases the burden of proof is on YOU). He couldn't come close and they got him not on murder or racketeering but the dreaded TAX EVASION!
He died in prison allegedly of syphilis.
-
Gambling winnings ARE taxable whether legal or illegal that's how they catch the bad guys tax evasion. (I did taxes for years on the side.)
Why would someone who gambles illegally ever admit that they made money off of it by claiming the winnings?
What I mean is, if I drove out to Youngstown and placed a bet on a Monday Night Football Game with "Bookie X" and won, there isn't a chance in hell I would ever claim that I did such a thing.
What I mean is, if I drove out to Youngstown and placed a bet on a Monday Night Football Game with "Bookie X" and won, there isn't a chance in hell I would ever claim that I did such a thing.
Better watch out Dutch but there are some good Youngstown bookies, go ahead. I won't tell.

But it's good to know the right people. (Oh BTW I was very good at taxes both doing taxes and in college.)
Small-time crooks: The IRS's informant program has been around for more than 140 years. If you suspect a person is committing tax fraud and report it, you could receive up to 15% of the amount that has been underpaid, with a maximum award of $10 million.
Informants are required to complete a claim and mail it to the IRS. The form is available on the IRS Web site, or you can call the agency's fraud hotline at 1-800-829-0433 for instructions. While you must reveal your identity to the IRS, your name will not be made public.
Because there is no minimum requirement for the amount in question, anyone can file a report in hopes of making an extra buck off of a cheating boyfriend or obnoxious neighbor.
OK here is an easy link or just go to the IRS.gov site. https://money.cnn.com/2010/03/02/pf/taxes/rat_out_tax_cheat/
-
And there's more......see the things you can learn on The BROWNS BOARD.
Whistleblower Office Home. https://www.irs.gov/compliance/whistleblower-informant-award
The IRS Whistleblower Office pays money to people who blow the whistle on persons who fail to pay the tax that they owe. If the IRS uses information provided by the whistleblower, it can award the whistleblower up to 30 percent of the additional tax, penalty and other amounts it collects.
Who can get an award?
The IRS may pay awards to people who provide specific and credible information to the IRS if the information results in the collection of taxes, penalties, interest or other amounts from the noncompliant taxpayer.
The IRS is looking for solid information, not an “educated guess” or unsupported speculation. We are also looking for a significant Federal tax issue - this is not a program for resolving personal problems or disputes about a business relationship.
What are the rules for getting an award?
The law provides for two types of awards. If the taxes, penalties, interest and other amounts in dispute exceed $2 million, and a few other qualifications are met, the IRS will pay 15 percent to 30 percent of the amount collected. If the case deals with an individual, his or her annual gross income must be more than $200,000. If the whistleblower disagrees with the outcome of the claim, he or she can appeal to the Tax Court. These rules are found at Internal Revenue Code IRC Section 7623(b) - Whistleblower Rules.
-
Certain whistle blowers deserve a medal... ?
-
Certain whistle blowers deserve a medal... ?
Certain whistle blowers deserve a medal... ?
Others can get paid very well.
It isn't all money either some do not fall into the big money cases just doing it for other reasons environmental, lawbreakers, social good or political.
And NO I will not go into the political theatre here, that's the poli forum. This is about taxes and knowledge.
-
-
So basically if your Youngstown bookie gets pinched... you could be toast. ?
But I think the term would be "stoolie" or "songbird" or "rat"... not whistleblower...
So basically if your Youngstown bookie gets pinched... you could be toast. ?
But I think the term would be "stoolie" or "songbird" or "rat"... not whistleblower...
Possibly if he coped a deal and turned over his client list of possible tax cheats before moving to Utah as Mr John Smith.
And yes whistleblower and tax fink are two slightly different areas, similar but whistleblowers are turning in a company, organization or people in some violation and may or may not get a monetary gain a "concerned citizen" tax fink is looking for gain or retribution or like in the article:
Because there is no minimum requirement for the amount in question, anyone can file a report in hopes of making an extra buck off of a cheating boyfriend or obnoxious neighbor..
-
Why would someone who gambles illegally ever admit that they made money off of it by claiming the winnings?
What I mean is, if I drove out to Youngstown and placed a bet on a Monday Night Football Game with "Bookie X" and won, there isn't a chance in hell I would ever claim that I did such a thing.
That's just the thing some gambling is legal like the Ohio lottery, horse racing and those killer winner take all church BINGO games. (those grandma's are serious!)
But some gambling is strictly illegal -but- still taxable.
Al Capone was making an estimated $2 million a year (+/-) a lot during the Great Depression the FBI couldn't get to him but an accountant-type had an idea audit him and make him prove his income to support his lavish lifestyle (in Federal tax cases the burden of proof is on YOU). He couldn't come close and they got him not on murder or racketeering but the dreaded TAX EVASION!
He died in prison allegedly of syphilis.
That's just the thing some gambling is legal like the Ohio lottery, horse racing and those killer winner take all church BINGO games. (those grandma's are serious!)
But some gambling is strictly illegal -but- still taxable.
Al Capone was making an estimated $2 million a year (+/-) a lot during the Great Depression the FBI couldn't get to him but an accountant-type had an idea audit him and make him prove his income to support his lavish lifestyle (in Federal tax cases the burden of proof is on YOU). He couldn't come close and they got him not on murder or racketeering but the dreaded TAX EVASION!
He died in prison allegedly of syphilis.
Actually....NO, he did not die in prison.
He was released from prison because of his condition and lived for a number of years at his home in Miami Beach. I have been to his home there. He did not die until 1947. He was basically a non-functional invalid...BUT...he was STILL the titular title holder of the Boss of the Chicago mob. And he was being taken care of by the mob. The guys that ran the actual operations of the Chicago mob made pilgrimages down there to see him and to fill him in on the goings on. I doubt he had any kind of directive authority at that point, but they would go to see him to get his input...if he had any lucid moments. Which he occassionally did.
Failing health and death
After Capone was released from prison, he was referred to Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore for the treatment of paresis (caused by late-stage syphilis). Hopkins refused to admit him based solely on his reputation, but Union Memorial Hospital accepted him. Capone was grateful for the compassionate care that he received and donated two Japanese weeping cherry trees to Union Memorial Hospital in 1939. A very sickly Capone left Baltimore on March 20, 1940, after a few weeks inpatient and a few weeks outpatient, for Palm Island, Florida.[95][96][97]
In 1946, his physician and a Baltimore psychiatrist performed examinations and concluded that Capone had the mentality of a 12-year-old child.[98] Capone spent the last years of his life at his mansion in Palm Island, Florida, spending time with his wife and grandchildren.[99] On January 21, 1947, Capone had a stroke. He regained consciousness and started to improve, but contracted bronchopneumonia. He suffered a cardiac arrest on January 22, and on January 25, surrounded by his family in his home, Capone died after his heart failed as a result of apoplexy.[100][101] He wаs originally buried at Mount Olivet Cemetery in Chicago. In 1950, Capone's remains, along with those of his father and brother Salvatore, were moved to Mount Carmel Cemetery in Hillside, Illinois.[102]
-
That's just the thing some gambling is legal like the Ohio lottery, horse racing and those killer winner take all church BINGO games. (those grandma's are serious!)
But some gambling is strictly illegal -but- still taxable.
Al Capone was making an estimated $2 million a year (+/-) a lot during the Great Depression the FBI couldn't get to him but an accountant-type had an idea audit him and make him prove his income to support his lavish lifestyle (in Federal tax cases the burden of proof is on YOU). He couldn't come close and they got him not on murder or racketeering but the dreaded TAX EVASION!
He died in prison allegedly of syphilis.
Actually....NO, he did not die in prison.
He was released from prison because of his condition and lived for a number of years at his home in Miami Beach. I have been to his home there. He did not die until 1947. He was basically a non-functional invalid...BUT...he was STILL the titular title holder of the Boss of the Chicago mob. And he was being taken care of by the mob. The guys that ran the actual operations of the Chicago mob made pilgrimages down there to see him and to fill him in on the goings on. I doubt he had any kind of directive authority at that point, but they would go to see him to get his input...if he had any lucid moments. Which he occassionally did.
Failing health and death
After Capone was released from prison, he was referred to Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore for the treatment of paresis (caused by late-stage syphilis). Hopkins refused to admit him based solely on his reputation, but Union Memorial Hospital accepted him. Capone was grateful for the compassionate care that he received and donated two Japanese weeping cherry trees to Union Memorial Hospital in 1939. A very sickly Capone left Baltimore on March 20, 1940, after a few weeks inpatient and a few weeks outpatient, for Palm Island, Florida.[95][96][97]
In 1946, his physician and a Baltimore psychiatrist performed examinations and concluded that Capone had the mentality of a 12-year-old child.[98] Capone spent the last years of his life at his mansion in Palm Island, Florida, spending time with his wife and grandchildren.[99] On January 21, 1947, Capone had a stroke. He regained consciousness and started to improve, but contracted bronchopneumonia. He suffered a cardiac arrest on January 22, and on January 25, surrounded by his family in his home, Capone died after his heart failed as a result of apoplexy.[100][101] He wаs originally buried at Mount Olivet Cemetery in Chicago. In 1950, Capone's remains, along with those of his father and brother Salvatore, were moved to Mount Carmel Cemetery in Hillside, Illinois.[102]
Actually....NO, he did not die in prison.
Thanks for pointing that out I wasn't exactly sure if he died in prison and didn't want to stop and look it up. I know he was going wacko toward the end due to the syphilis.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login