Skip to content

will Hunt make a difference?

The Browns Board
109 34 3.4k 1
  • @the-gipper said:

    I heard one analysis say that Yes....absolutely, out OL is not big enough, strong enough, talented enough to go mano a mano against the defensive lines in this league and force the ball into the end zone. In essence they said that this team needs an infusion of talent on the OL....in at least 2 if not 3 positions. They also said this team desperately needs a fullback.

    They said that the only possible remedy for this group is to actually do the opposite of what they are doing:     Instead of bunching up in goal line situations....where they inevitably get beat, that they need to spread it out.....make the DL cover the whole wife field

    And apparently, FYI, that is just what they did on the last TD....they spread it out, and that allowed Higgins to get wide open for the TD. 

    I also have doubts about our O line's ability to block down at the goal line. If that is our weakness (which I think it is) than I like the idea of spreading it out which plays to our strength. We need to upgrade the line though. We have got to have lineman capable of blocking at the goal line. I am still stunned we had first and goal at the one and came away empty after 8 attempts.

    @oldbrownsfan said:

    I also have doubts about our O line's ability to block down at the goal line. If that is our weakness (which I think it is) than I like the idea of spreading it out which plays to our strength. We need to upgrade the line though. We have got to have lineman capable of blocking at the goal line. I am still stunned we had first and goal at the one and came away empty after 8 attempts.

    Well....I don't think that is going to happen until we get to next year and free agency and the draft.  I guess we gotta suck it up with what we got.

  • @oldbrownsfan said:

    I also have doubts about our O line's ability to block down at the goal line. If that is our weakness (which I think it is) than I like the idea of spreading it out which plays to our strength. We need to upgrade the line though. We have got to have lineman capable of blocking at the goal line. I am still stunned we had first and goal at the one and came away empty after 8 attempts.

    Well....I don't think that is going to happen until we get to next year and free agency and the draft.  I guess we gotta suck it up with what we got.

    @the-gipper said:

    Well....I don't think that is going to happen until we get to next year and free agency and the draft.  I guess we gotta suck it up with what we got.

    If we can't punch the ball in on short yardage situations at the goal line I like the idea of spreading out the offense even on short yardage situations at the goal line. I think it is our only option at this time.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I heard one analysis say that Yes....absolutely, out OL is not big enough, strong enough, talented enough to go mano a mano against the defensive lines in this league and force the ball into the end zone. In essence they said that this team needs an infusion of talent on the OL....in at least 2 if not 3 positions. They also said this team desperately needs a fullback.

    They said that the only possible remedy for this group is to actually do the opposite of what they are doing:     Instead of bunching up in goal line situations....where they inevitably get beat, that they need to spread it out.....make the DL cover the whole wife field

    And apparently, FYI, that is just what they did on the last TD....they spread it out, and that allowed Higgins to get wide open for the TD. 

    So people are suggesting that they do what they were doing early on in the year when Freddie got roasted for it? 

    That's why I'm not banging the Freddie sucks at playcalling drum that most are.  Has he had a few like 4th and 9 draw play atrocious? Sure. However it's not the playcall its the execution.  It's Baker not seeing an open receiver or getting rid of the ball on a 3 step drop.  It is a receiver curling his route off too loose. It's an offensive lineman losing his one on one battle. Most of those are coachable things and need to be fixed. Some fixed quickly by attention to detail others take longer and some take new players.

    @bjh2130 said:

    So people are suggesting that they do what they were doing early on in the year when Freddie got roasted for it? 

    That's why I'm not banging the Freddie sucks at playcalling drum that most are.  Has he had a few like 4th and 9 draw play atrocious? Sure. However it's not the playcall its the execution.  It's Baker not seeing an open receiver or getting rid of the ball on a 3 step drop.  It is a receiver curling his route off too loose. It's an offensive lineman losing his one on one battle. Most of those are coachable things and need to be fixed. Some fixed quickly by attention to detail others take longer and some take new players.

    Execution is poor because of lack of attention to detail which is due to poor coaching. This was evident yesterday, listen to Joe Thomas on the ThomaHawk show break it down this week.

  • @bjh2130 said:

    So people are suggesting that they do what they were doing early on in the year when Freddie got roasted for it? 

    That's why I'm not banging the Freddie sucks at playcalling drum that most are.  Has he had a few like 4th and 9 draw play atrocious? Sure. However it's not the playcall its the execution.  It's Baker not seeing an open receiver or getting rid of the ball on a 3 step drop.  It is a receiver curling his route off too loose. It's an offensive lineman losing his one on one battle. Most of those are coachable things and need to be fixed. Some fixed quickly by attention to detail others take longer and some take new players.

    Execution is poor because of lack of attention to detail which is due to poor coaching. This was evident yesterday, listen to Joe Thomas on the ThomaHawk show break it down this week.

    @mddawg said:

    Execution is poor because of lack of attention to detail which is due to poor coaching. This was evident yesterday, listen to Joe Thomas on the ThomaHawk show break it down this week.

    Well, that is certainly a major part of it, if not the whole kit and caboodle.

  • @bbedward said:

    Props to Freddie for actually using Hunt in the game plan, I didn't really have high hopes for him.

    Still think we ran the ball way too little, but it was good to see Freddie got him involved.

    That's a good point Bbedward. Many of us, including myself, have been hard on Freddie and his coaching prowess. But he nailed the usage of Hunt, and it definitely makes me hopeful for he can bring. 

    @jiggins7919 said:

    That's a good point Bbedward. Many of us, including myself, have been hard on Freddie and his coaching prowess. But he nailed the usage of Hunt, and it definitely makes me hopeful for he can bring. 

    Hunt was less rusty than I thought he would be. He showed some burst. But how many touches can you give him with the way Chubb is laying it down?

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    That's a good point Bbedward. Many of us, including myself, have been hard on Freddie and his coaching prowess. But he nailed the usage of Hunt, and it definitely makes me hopeful for he can bring. 

    Hunt was less rusty than I thought he would be. He showed some burst. But how many touches can you give him with the way Chubb is laying it down?

    @icecube said:

    Hunt was less rusty than I thought he would be. He showed some burst. But how many touches can you give him with the way Chubb is laying it down?

    I think 20 touches to chubb and 12-15 to hunt is ideal (both playing well)  but obviously you could ride the hot hand.  Yesterday they were both playing well hunt had 11 touches and chubb right around 20.

  • Nice post game interview with Cleveland native Kareem Hunt. He takes as much pride in correct blocking as he does in receiving or running. ?

  • I really hope he gives us a hometown discount being from the area and being the team that gave him a second chance.  I don't know how much teams will be willing to pay him but I tend to believe it will be more than we want to offer a running back that isn't our "lead" back. Hopefully teams still have concerns and we can sign him to a similar contract that Duke Johnson signed (which was a really good contract for Duke).

  • I really hope he gives us a hometown discount being from the area and being the team that gave him a second chance.  I don't know how much teams will be willing to pay him but I tend to believe it will be more than we want to offer a running back that isn't our "lead" back. Hopefully teams still have concerns and we can sign him to a similar contract that Duke Johnson signed (which was a really good contract for Duke).

    @bjh2130 said:

    I really hope he gives us a hometown discount being from the area and being the team that gave him a second chance.  I don't know how much teams will be willing to pay him but I tend to believe it will be more than we want to offer a running back that isn't our "lead" back. Hopefully teams still have concerns and we can sign him to a similar contract that Duke Johnson signed (which was a really good contract for Duke).

    Doubtful, he led the NFL in rushing yards one season. As long as he remains well behaved, he'll command top dollar after his rookie contract expires.