Skip to content

Rashard Higgins drama confirms Cleveland Browns locker room problems

The Browns Board
71 25 2.3k 1
  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #16

    On Myles-if the rest of his teammates were playing up to his league tying sacks and hurries, we'd all be bragging about him leading this great defense. But they have collectively sucked in support. Change that and suddenly he's a great player again. They are so bad that we have to move him around the line to different positions to try to hide him. That is ridiculous.

  • CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFSC CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS wrote on last edited by CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS
    #17

    Myles isn’t making as much plays because we are consistently playing from behind.. It’s tough to get strip sacks against the run, PAs(with wide open targets), and screens while the offense isn’t scoring touchdowns..

  • LBC mikeL LBC mike wrote on last edited by
    #18

    I had high hopes for b the front seven this year ?

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #19

    Does anyone get the sense that Higgy  is trying to pull a Josh Gordon and make his way to NE?

  • On Myles-if the rest of his teammates were playing up to his league tying sacks and hurries, we'd all be bragging about him leading this great defense. But they have collectively sucked in support. Change that and suddenly he's a great player again. They are so bad that we have to move him around the line to different positions to try to hide him. That is ridiculous.

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @texasag1969 said:

    On Myles-if the rest of his teammates were playing up to his league tying sacks and hurries, we'd all be bragging about him leading this great defense. But they have collectively sucked in support. Change that and suddenly he's a great player again. They are so bad that we have to move him around the line to different positions to try to hide him. That is ridiculous.

    Yes, you'd think if Myles is getting double-teamed someone else would step up.Then again, in the Wilks 4-2-5 there really isn't a blitzing LB. It's kind of a bend-don't break defense IMHO. 

  • Does anyone get the sense that Higgy  is trying to pull a Josh Gordon and make his way to NE?

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #21

    I'd like to see more of Myles stunting to the inside lanes to avoid the doubles ? 

    @nickers said:

    Does anyone get the sense that Higgy  is trying to pull a Josh Gordon and make his way to NE?

    signed a 2M tender for just 1 year..Why take the 2M cap hit just to cut him? if report holds true? if a lockerroom cancer, I'd get? heck, the former Ram WR Khadarel Hodge saw reps before Higgy last week. I think their plan sucks btw, but the trade deadline is gone & why not then? Hawks game was 10-13///deadline was 10-29.. 

  • Does anyone get the sense that Higgy  is trying to pull a Josh Gordon and make his way to NE?

    stillmotionS stillmotion wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @nickers said:

    Does anyone get the sense that Higgy  is trying to pull a Josh Gordon and make his way to NE?

    I think Higgins feels undervalued. ODB and Landry and then Callaway screws off and as soon as he gets back he's ahead of Higgy in the depth chart. That would make me feel weird as well.

    Hue loved Higgins and I think Freddie likes Callaway better. Heck, Dorsey might too.

  • @flugel said:

    He's a #1 overall pick; but I'm not seeing a guy that dominates or takes over a game like a Reggie White or Bruce Smith (who rarely ever had to complain about being held). Garrett seems like a good kid. But all this hoopla about his fitness routines - aren't showing me the full game motor at all.

    I've been saying this for a while and we keep hearing about how Myles terrorizes everyone in camp and looks absolutely unblockable, and how he totally wrecked practice and blah, blah, blah. 

    I don't see THAT level of player in our games. Listen, I LOVE Myles Garrett and he's probably my favorite player on the team. He's a very good player, a terrific teammate, and a better human being. But he doesn't win games. He doesn't get game-altering plays (rarely). He's just a really good player and that's about it. 

    I 100% agree with virtually EVERYTHING you said, and I'm very worried about the "random injuries" popping up and players sitting out. I also agree with you about the defense sucking and I can't understand WHY we're this bad. Like so many people have said in some way other posts, our offense and defense can be summed up with this statement:  "Nobody makes a big play when we need it." 

    For example, several weeks ago the Ravens played the Seahawks. With the game on the line, the Ravens had a 4th and 2 near the goal line. Now, what do you think happened? Better yet, what would OUR team do? Would we rise up and make a game-winning play? No...no we wouldn't. What did Baltimore do? Well, Lamar Jackson obviously scored. Duh. But that's not all! The Seahawks had plenty of time to score a touchdown and retake the lead. Sound familiar?

    Do you think Baltimore's defense choked and let them go all the way down the field to score? Why no...no they didn't. In FACT, Baltimore's defense took the ball away and scored a TD to seal it. Something our defense has never done. (to be fair, the Seattle player literally fumbled the ball to them without being touched, but whatever. We'll never, ever get that break, so we'll have to deal) 

    I guess my point is that NFL games typically come down to a handful of plays every week. It's UNCANNY how on both offense and defense we routinely fail to MAKE these plays. This game tomorrow is probably going to be very similar to the Broncos game. If we don't make adjustments, the result will be similar too. Oddly enough, I'm betting on the Browns to win. I think we rise up for the home crowd, and I DON'T think Buffalo is a 7-2 team. They're just not. 

    B browns52 wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @jiggins7919 said:

    I've been saying this for a while and we keep hearing about how Myles terrorizes everyone in camp and looks absolutely unblockable, and how he totally wrecked practice and blah, blah, blah. 

    I don't see THAT level of player in our games. Listen, I LOVE Myles Garrett and he's probably my favorite player on the team. He's a very good player, a terrific teammate, and a better human being. But he doesn't win games. He doesn't get game-altering plays (rarely). He's just a really good player and that's about it. 

    I 100% agree with virtually EVERYTHING you said, and I'm very worried about the "random injuries" popping up and players sitting out. I also agree with you about the defense sucking and I can't understand WHY we're this bad. Like so many people have said in some way other posts, our offense and defense can be summed up with this statement:  "Nobody makes a big play when we need it." 

    For example, several weeks ago the Ravens played the Seahawks. With the game on the line, the Ravens had a 4th and 2 near the goal line. Now, what do you think happened? Better yet, what would OUR team do? Would we rise up and make a game-winning play? No...no we wouldn't. What did Baltimore do? Well, Lamar Jackson obviously scored. Duh. But that's not all! The Seahawks had plenty of time to score a touchdown and retake the lead. Sound familiar?

    Do you think Baltimore's defense choked and let them go all the way down the field to score? Why no...no they didn't. In FACT, Baltimore's defense took the ball away and scored a TD to seal it. Something our defense has never done. (to be fair, the Seattle player literally fumbled the ball to them without being touched, but whatever. We'll never, ever get that break, so we'll have to deal) 

    I guess my point is that NFL games typically come down to a handful of plays every week. It's UNCANNY how on both offense and defense we routinely fail to MAKE these plays. This game tomorrow is probably going to be very similar to the Broncos game. If we don't make adjustments, the result will be similar too. Oddly enough, I'm betting on the Browns to win. I think we rise up for the home crowd, and I DON'T think Buffalo is a 7-2 team. They're just not. 

    he needs help....he's probably getting doubled alot...who else is picking up the slack....no one....if someone else starts showing up, i think you would see garrett at his best....you are right rig....but i don't think it is totally on him....our dl overall really stinks the lbs are a little below mediocre...maybe even worse...they have no lateral pursuit and are mostly slow...there is absolutely no pressure at all on the qb ....i can't put that on garrett alonw...

  • Does anyone get the sense that Higgy  is trying to pull a Josh Gordon and make his way to NE?

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @nickers said:

    Does anyone get the sense that Higgy  is trying to pull a Josh Gordon and make his way to NE?

    A couple weeks ago l thought it was the other way around where the team was sort of trying to manipulate the situation to lessen Higgins’ field time, which means he won’t have much compelling evidence on tape come free agent time and the Browns could resign him on the cheap. I’m not really sure that’s the case though. 

  • I believe it all comes down to this - the defense was keeping us in games just fine, and the offense was pitiful.

    Totally out of kilter. I figure, the defense is getting back to a point where it is hopeless because the offense doesn't work.

    I think offensive skill players are figuring, the offensive line is hopeless.

       Before, the interior of the oline was priceless, best in the NFL maybe? Now, weak at ROG, and our center might try to help him, Bitonio tries to help Robinson... kinda like pinball....

    and, Kitchens is a rookie Head Coach who calls his own plays. So there ya go.

       I just haven't had my coffee yet.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @calfoxwc said:

    I believe it all comes down to this - the defense was keeping us in games just fine, and the offense was pitiful.

    Totally out of kilter. I figure, the defense is getting back to a point where it is hopeless because the offense doesn't work.

    I think offensive skill players are figuring, the offensive line is hopeless.

       Before, the interior of the oline was priceless, best in the NFL maybe? Now, weak at ROG, and our center might try to help him, Bitonio tries to help Robinson... kinda like pinball....

    and, Kitchens is a rookie Head Coach who calls his own plays. So there ya go.

       I just haven't had my coffee yet.

    This feels like 1 of those Kit Kat commercials.  I have a HUGE problem with that very last comment above.  Go get an acre of coffee bean in you.  FWIW, Robinson played a pretty good game last week with the exception of a sack that Baker had more than enough time to get rid of the ball on. 

    While it looks like the offensive line is the biggest problem - keep in mind how much credit the OL was given last year when Baker got rid of the ball far more quickly, accurately and decisively.   Baker hasn't been that guy at all so far this season (although there's 8 weeks to change that sooner than later).  I wish the FO would have left the Offensive Staff in tact so we don't do what TN did to Mariota and given him a bunch of new systems he may not be compatible with all the while he has to de-program many of the concepts his previous coaches asked him to master.  As we've seen in the NFL, there's a very short window in whether a QB emerges or fails out. 

    Also, while we know Nick Chubb is #2 in yards after contact, you still gotta get a little momentum behind you to break all those tackles. I don't think we're that bad with run blocking and neither is Robin's son.  I have had a cup of coffee or 2 or 3 so make sure you do the same before responding.  Comprendsies?

  • @flugel said:

    He's a #1 overall pick; but I'm not seeing a guy that dominates or takes over a game like a Reggie White or Bruce Smith (who rarely ever had to complain about being held). Garrett seems like a good kid. But all this hoopla about his fitness routines - aren't showing me the full game motor at all.

    I've been saying this for a while and we keep hearing about how Myles terrorizes everyone in camp and looks absolutely unblockable, and how he totally wrecked practice and blah, blah, blah. 

    I don't see THAT level of player in our games. Listen, I LOVE Myles Garrett and he's probably my favorite player on the team. He's a very good player, a terrific teammate, and a better human being. But he doesn't win games. He doesn't get game-altering plays (rarely). He's just a really good player and that's about it. 

    I 100% agree with virtually EVERYTHING you said, and I'm very worried about the "random injuries" popping up and players sitting out. I also agree with you about the defense sucking and I can't understand WHY we're this bad. Like so many people have said in some way other posts, our offense and defense can be summed up with this statement:  "Nobody makes a big play when we need it." 

    For example, several weeks ago the Ravens played the Seahawks. With the game on the line, the Ravens had a 4th and 2 near the goal line. Now, what do you think happened? Better yet, what would OUR team do? Would we rise up and make a game-winning play? No...no we wouldn't. What did Baltimore do? Well, Lamar Jackson obviously scored. Duh. But that's not all! The Seahawks had plenty of time to score a touchdown and retake the lead. Sound familiar?

    Do you think Baltimore's defense choked and let them go all the way down the field to score? Why no...no they didn't. In FACT, Baltimore's defense took the ball away and scored a TD to seal it. Something our defense has never done. (to be fair, the Seattle player literally fumbled the ball to them without being touched, but whatever. We'll never, ever get that break, so we'll have to deal) 

    I guess my point is that NFL games typically come down to a handful of plays every week. It's UNCANNY how on both offense and defense we routinely fail to MAKE these plays. This game tomorrow is probably going to be very similar to the Broncos game. If we don't make adjustments, the result will be similar too. Oddly enough, I'm betting on the Browns to win. I think we rise up for the home crowd, and I DON'T think Buffalo is a 7-2 team. They're just not. 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #26

    @jiggins7919 said:

    I 100% agree with virtually EVERYTHING you said, and I'm very worried about the "random injuries" popping up and players sitting out. I also agree with you about the defense sucking and I can't understand WHY we're this bad. Like so many people have said in some way other posts, our offense and defense can be summed up with this statement:  "Nobody makes a big play when we need it." 

    For example, several weeks ago the Ravens played the Seahawks. With the game on the line, the Ravens had a 4th and 2 near the goal line. Now, what do you think happened? Better yet, what would OUR team do? Would we rise up and make a game-winning play? No...

    Do you think Baltimore's defense choked and let them go all the way down the field to score? Why no...no they didn't. In FACT, Baltimore's defense took the ball away and scored a TD to seal it. Something our defense has never done. (to be fair, the Seattle player literally fumbled the ball to them without being touched, but whatever. We'll never, ever get that break, so we'll have to deal) 

    I guess my point is that NFL games typically come down to a handful of plays every week. It's UNCANNY how on both offense and defense we routinely fail to MAKE these plays. This game tomorrow is probably going to be very similar to the Broncos game. If we don't make adjustments, the result will be similar too. Oddly enough, I'm betting on the Browns to win. I think we rise up for the home crowd, and I DON'T think Buffalo is a 7-2 team. They're just not.

    Last year's Baker would have had the confidence to exploit the WR breaking free Harris on the perimeter for the game winning points. This year's Baker threw a bad pass to a double covered Jarvis Landry.  Game over!

    In high school back in 1980 and 1981, the team I played on in Western NY (Fairport High School) made it to the sectional finals in both seasons I played Varsity.  We did this with a HC that said you WIN and LOSE games during the practices before the games. If we fail to prepare we should prepare to fail.  AND, we're always only as good as our last guy (which is the guy flagged for not doing his job).  The teams that are fundamentally sound and know their assignments to DO THEIR JOBS - tend to get penalized less,commit less turnovers while being opportunistic with miscues and bad tackling from their opponents. They tackle, stay with their blocks and protect/secure the ball (and keep it in their arm closest to the sideline).  FWIW, all throughout NE going 8-0 - Tom Brady hasn't exactly been on a record setting path for TD passes (but he does maintain a good TD to INT ratio).  And, it's not like they haven't had multiple injuries to their OL and WR Corps.  The 1 week NE got sloppy/forgetful of their winning formula - they got Rathoused in Ratville.  As a result, they were the team turning the ball over.

    A 60 minute game always looks like it's the team that makes the BIG plays that wins the game.  No argument with that; but when you don't turn the ball over or serial kill drives with penalties - all those little things GIVE you more opportunities to make the BIG plays.  The biggest reason winning teams don't have to repeat ad nauseum "We have to stop shooting ourselves in the foot" is because they take care of that during the week of preparation.  We had 2 weeks to prepare for NE on their short week.  Which team repeatedly shot themselves in the foot and which one did not?  The commentator said NE even practiced with soaking wet footballs, which tells me they were prepared for the weather and their ill-prepared opponent.  Denver out-prepared us too (and they haven't even been a team that prepared well) until they faced a team even less prepared.  

    As for your concern about players checking out early, has there been a players only meeting with this collection of players yet?  They had one last year after the coaching change during the season which improved the leadership within and it helped the leadership on the sidelines as well. End result?  We had a fun season that set our expectations higher than we usually set them for the next year. Let's hope our gut feeling is wrong here; and we get an 8 week rally this fan base totally deserves...

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #27

    It appears Higgy was ready to play today...

  • It appears Higgy was ready to play today...

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @tour2ma said:

    It appears Higgy was ready to play today...

    And so was Myles.?

  • VamboV Vambo wrote on last edited by
    #29

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #30

    Well...he isn't the only one.  Again, can this be a case of  Ferd just not having a clue how to use his talent....or is there something more?  Some discipline thing...which we have not heard of..

    ....because this is fucking ridiculous.  Baker clearly has a connection with Higgins.....why not fucking exploit it instead of subjecting we...the people that pay for you....to your personal fucking prejudices.

  • hx214H hx214 wrote on last edited by
    #31

    What was the deal with Calloway today? Said he was suited up ready to play and they held him out. Freddie just said it was between him and Calloway..... hope he didn’t find something in Josh Gordon’s old locker...

  • VamboV Vambo wrote on last edited by
    #32
    4 hours ago - Callaway was benched at the last minute for a disciplinary reason, but Kitchens won't reveal why. ... Bills, but Freddie Kitchens won't say why.
  • 4 hours ago - Callaway was benched at the last minute for a disciplinary reason, but Kitchens won't reveal why. ... Bills, but Freddie Kitchens won't say why.
    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @vambo said:

    4 hours ago - Callaway was benched at the last minute for a disciplinary reason, but Kitchens won't reveal why. ... Bills, but Freddie Kitchens won't say why.

    I hadn't heard that, but Freddie shouldn't explain why.  To me that is a internal issue.

  • 4 hours ago - Callaway was benched at the last minute for a disciplinary reason, but Kitchens won't reveal why. ... Bills, but Freddie Kitchens won't say why.
    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @vambo said:

    4 hours ago - Callaway was benched at the last minute for a disciplinary reason, but Kitchens won't reveal why. ... Bills, but Freddie Kitchens won't say why.

    I think it’s just the bullshit in active rule  for roster players which is the stupidest rule the NFL has going for it

  • Well...he isn't the only one.  Again, can this be a case of  Ferd just not having a clue how to use his talent....or is there something more?  Some discipline thing...which we have not heard of..

    ....because this is fucking ridiculous.  Baker clearly has a connection with Higgins.....why not fucking exploit it instead of subjecting we...the people that pay for you....to your personal fucking prejudices.

    bjh2130B bjh2130 wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @the-gipper said:

    Well...he isn't the only one.  Again, can this be a case of  Ferd just not having a clue how to use his talent....or is there something more?  Some discipline thing...which we have not heard of..

    ....because this is fucking ridiculous.  Baker clearly has a connection with Higgins.....why not fucking exploit it instead of subjecting we...the people that pay for you....to your personal fucking prejudices.

    I mean this thread literally states a reason for why he may have been being held out of games.  If he refused to go in the Seattle game that's not exactly a personal prejudice.