Skip to content

Another season as a loss

The Browns Board
36 11 1.3k
  • Year after year the Browns are struggling to have a winning season, yes last year was a much improved season, and now this season is half over and we cant even be a 500 team. Sad, and everyone in the universe was talking so proudly of how good the Browns looked on paper, with this player and the addition of this player. Well how is all that looking now? I will always cheer for the  Browns, but my hopes are not going to happen once again. 2020, i'm in no hurry.

  • Year after year the Browns are struggling to have a winning season, yes last year was a much improved season, and now this season is half over and we cant even be a 500 team. Sad, and everyone in the universe was talking so proudly of how good the Browns looked on paper, with this player and the addition of this player. Well how is all that looking now? I will always cheer for the  Browns, but my hopes are not going to happen once again. 2020, i'm in no hurry.

    @brownsfaninpa said:

    Year after year the Browns are struggling to have a winning season, yes last year was a much improved season, and now this season is half over and we cant even be a 500 team. Sad, and everyone in the universe was talking so proudly of how good the Browns looked on paper, with this player and the addition of this player. Well how is all that looking now? I will always cheer for the  Browns, but my hopes are not going to happen once again. 2020, i'm in no hurry.

    You are not the only fan who has been “waiting” 
    The team is 4-6 with a LEGITIMATE chance of streaking and making wildcard.

    Cheer up, the Great Wall wasn’t built overnight.

  • Year after year the Browns are struggling to have a winning season, yes last year was a much improved season, and now this season is half over and we cant even be a 500 team. Sad, and everyone in the universe was talking so proudly of how good the Browns looked on paper, with this player and the addition of this player. Well how is all that looking now? I will always cheer for the  Browns, but my hopes are not going to happen once again. 2020, i'm in no hurry.

    @brownsfaninpa said:

    Year after year the Browns are struggling to have a winning season, yes last year was a much improved season, and now this season is half over and we cant even be a 500 team. Sad, and everyone in the universe was talking so proudly of how good the Browns looked on paper, with this player and the addition of this player. Well how is all that looking now? I will always cheer for the  Browns, but my hopes are not going to happen once again. 2020, i'm in no hurry.

    Dont think you can write this season off as a loss just yet.  Realistically if this team goes 9-7 people should realize that while it's only a 1.5 game improvement this team is young in both age and chemistry (and coaching) . They have to learn to win. Hell of course I wanted to go 12-4 win the division host a playoff game and all that, but honestly going into the season i said as long as we have a better record than last year (so even 8-8) I was not going to be circling the team like a buzzard waiting to pick little chunks off

  • Year after year the Browns are struggling to have a winning season, yes last year was a much improved season, and now this season is half over and we cant even be a 500 team. Sad, and everyone in the universe was talking so proudly of how good the Browns looked on paper, with this player and the addition of this player. Well how is all that looking now? I will always cheer for the  Browns, but my hopes are not going to happen once again. 2020, i'm in no hurry.

    @brownsfaninpa said:

    Year after year the Browns are struggling to have a winning season, yes last year was a much improved season, and now this season is half over and we cant even be a 500 team. Sad, and everyone in the universe was talking so proudly of how good the Browns looked on paper, with this player and the addition of this player. Well how is all that looking now? I will always cheer for the  Browns, but my hopes are not going to happen once again. 2020, i'm in no hurry.

    So, the year is over?  This says the Browns still have a 20% chance.....and those chances go up with every game they play and win.

    AFC Playoff Standings
      Record Divisional Winners Wildcard No
    Playoffs
    Team Division W L T 1* 2* 3** 4** 5 6 7
    Patriots East 9 1 0 74% 18% 4% 1% 2% <1% <1%
    Ravens North 8 2 0 20% 47% 17% 8% 2% 3% 4%
    Chiefs West 7 4 0 2% 13% 22% 32% 5% 9% 16%
    Colts South 6 4 0 <1% 2% 12% 20% 3% 9% 55%
    Bills East 7 3 0 2% 1% <1% <1% 48% 19% 30%
    Texans South 6 4 0 2% 10% 25% 21% 7% 10% 26%
     
    Raiders West 6 4 0 1% 7% 13% 10% 12% 17% 42%
    Steelers North 5 5 0 <1% 2% 2% 1% 14% 14% 68%
    Titans South 5 5 0 <1% <1% 3% 4% 1% 5% 86%
    Browns North 4 6 0 <1% <1% 1% 2% 5% 11% 80%
    Jaguars South 4 6 0 <1% <1% <1% 1% 1% 3% 95%
    Chargers West 4 7 0 <1% <1% <1% <1% <1% <1% >99%
    Broncos West 3 7 0 <1% <1% <1% <1% <1% <1% 99%
    Jets East 3 7 0 X X X X <1% <1% >99%
    Dolphins East 2 8 0 X X X X <1% <1% >99%
    Bengals North 0 10 0 X X X X X X 100%
  • And here is the rest of their schedule with the records of their opponents:

    Dolphins  2-8

    Steelers 5-5

    Bengals 0-10

    Cards  3-7-1

    Ravens 8-2

    Bengals  0-10

    The teams with the best records....Ravens/Steelers, the Browns have already proven they can beat those teams. 

    3 games are at home and 3 are on the road.  

    Can we assume your pessimism is based on the fact that Garrett likely will be out?  Understandable, but then you disparage the talent and character of the rest of that defense....which, admittedly has to prove that they can come through without their likely best player.  But it seems that you are assuming that they just can't do that.   We shall see.

  • Lets look at the Browns competitors schedules.  First:  Steelers.  At 5-5 they are one of the teams in that mix for a possible WC spot:

    12 Sun November 24 1:00PM ET preview     5-5 @ Cincinnati Bengals                              
    13 Sun December 1 1:00PM ET preview     5-5   Cleveland Browns                              
    14 Sun December 8 4:25PM ET preview     5-5 @ Arizona Cardinals                              
    15 Sun December 15 1:00PM ET preview     5-5   Buffalo Bills                              
    16 Sun December 22 1:00PM ET preview     5-5 @ New York Jets                              
    17 Sun December 29 1:00PM ET preview     5-5 @

    Baltimore Ravens

    Seems like a 50/50 schedule to me.    I mean, face it....the Steeler's offense really is pretty much crap, isn't it?  Will anyone be surprised if they go with the other guy and bench Rudolph...like real soon.  And maybe this next week will be the breakout game for the Bengals.

    Prediction for the rest of the way:  

    2-4.  Maybe even 1-5 if their defense does not hold up the way they have. 

    Final record:  7-9

  • Oakland Raiders.    Currently sitting at 6-4, just outside of a WC spot:

                                                    .29
    12 Sun November 24 1:00PM ET preview     6-4 @ New York Jets                              
    13 Sun December 1 4:25PM ET preview     6-4 @ Kansas City Chiefs                              
    14 Sun December 8 4:25PM ET preview     6-4   Tennessee Titans                              
    15 Sun December 15 4:05PM ET preview     6-4   Jacksonville Jaguars                              
    16 Sun December 22 4:05PM ET preview     6-4 @ Los Angeles Chargers                              
    17 Sun December 29 4:25PM ET preview     6-4 @ Denver Broncos

    I see all of these as fairly tough games for them.  Prediction for the rest of the way:

    2-4.

    Final record:  8-8

  • Tennesse Titans:  Currently at 5-5

                    Bye Week                              
    12 Sun November 24 4:05PM ET preview     5-5   Jacksonville Jaguars                              
    13 Sun December 1 1:00PM ET preview     5-5 @ Indianapolis Colts                              
    14 Sun December 8 4:25PM ET preview     5-5 @ Oakland Raiders                              
    15 Sun December 15 1:00PM ET preview     5-5   Houston Texans                              
    16 Sun December 22 1:00PM ET preview     5-5   New Orleans Saints                              
    17 Sun December 29 1:00PM ET preview     5-5 @ Houston Texans

    Every single game  is against  another playoff contender.  

    I say they go 3-3. 

    Final Record:   8-8

    However, the Browns are in a bad way vs. Titans because of that week 1 loss. 

  • Jacksonville Jaguars.  Currently at 4-6. Same as Browns

                                                    1
    12 Sun November 24 4:05PM ET preview     4-6 @ Tennessee Titans                              
    13 Sun December 1 1:00PM ET preview     4-6   Tampa Bay Buccaneers                              
    14 Sun December 8 4:05PM ET preview     4-6   Los Angeles Chargers                              
    15 Sun December 15 4:05PM ET preview     4-6 @ Oakland Raiders                              
    16 Sun December 22 1:00PM ET preview     4-6 @ Atlanta Falcons                              
    17 Sun December 29 1:00PM ET preview     4-6   Indianapolis Colts

    Appears to be a relatively easy schedule.  

    They go  4-2 the rest of the way.

    Final record:   8-8

  • Houston Texans.   Currently sit at  6-4 and in the 6th seed for a WC. 

    12 Thu November 21 8:20PM ET preview     6-4   Indianapolis Colts                              
    13 Sun December 1 8:20PM ET preview     6-4   New England Patriots                              
    14 Sun December 8 1:00PM ET preview     6-4   Denver Broncos                              
    15 Sun December 15 1:00PM ET preview     6-4 @ Tennessee Titans                              
    16 Sun December 22 1:00PM ET preview     6-4 @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers                              
    17 Sun December 29 1:00PM ET preview     6-4   Tennessee Titans

    I see another 3-3 finish here.

    Final record:   9-7

  • One thing that is really a big bummer is we still don’t know what we have in Freddie kitchens. Through 10 games, there has been far more bad than good. I think the head coach is a big reason I’d count it as a loss. Still 6 games to go and they may turn it around, you never know. But not knowing what you have in your head coach is not good. The things we do know about him are mostly not good

  • Indianapolis Colts  Currently at 6-4    holding the AFCW lead:

    12 Thu November 21 8:20PM ET preview     6-4 @ Houston Texans                              
    13 Sun December 1 1:00PM ET preview     6-4   Tennessee Titans                              
    14 Sun December 8 1:00PM ET preview     6-4 @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers                              
    15 Mon December 16 8:15PM ET preview     6-4 @ New Orleans Saints                              
    16 Sun December 22 1:00PM ET preview     6-4   Carolina Panthers                              
    17 Sun December 29 1:00PM ET preview     6-4 @ Jacksonville Jaguars

    Hard to know what to think about this schedule......3 games against their AFCS opponents.  3 games vs. the NFCS opponents. 

    I say this too becomes a split

    3-3 rest of the year

    Final record:  9-7.

  • So, based on the above, I am giving the Browns competitors the following records:

    Colts 9-7

    Houston 9-7

    Jags 8-8

    Tennessee 8-8

    Oakland 8-8

    Steelers 7-9 at best

     I am giving the Bills, at 7-3 the in at one WC, so I am not including them

    As I see it also, the Chiefs are in in the AFCW , as well as the Pats...and lets face it, at 8-2 so are the Ratfuckers.   So the Browns have to get a WC.

    ONE of these 4 teams will win the AFCS.  What the Browns really need is an advantage over the other 3.  Which means that my prediction of 8-8 for the Titans must at minimal come true, as they are the one team that has that  head to head edge on  us. 

    The other critical factor for the other 4,  Raiders, Jags, Texans, Colts would be Conference record.

    Right now these are the Conf. records:

    Raiders 4-2

    Jags  4-4

    Texans 5-2

    Colts  5-4

    Browns are at 4-3 in the AFC.  

    So, as I see it, based on their conf. records....I think we need the Texans to prevail in the AFCS...and for the other 3 teams to cannibalize each other (and of course, lose to their non-division opponents).  

    The Browns need to get to the 9-7 record, with AFC wins over the Fins, Spermsuckers, twice over the Bitchy Pussies.  Really build up that conf. record...and most importantly have the Tits fall behind us. 

    Longshot?  Yes.  Possible? Certainly.   Of course....the Browns MUST win all but one of the rest of their games.

  • I get it, many of us aren't thrilled with how this season is turning out, but there's also some football left to play.  I think the absolute cherry on top was losing our best player to something so stupid as using a helmet to hit someone else with 8 freaking seconds left to go.  That definitely soured me pretty good.  

    We can play the "schedule game" and try to see which teams we'll beat and which ones we'll lose to, but one thing I know from watching the NFL is you never really know who is going to win any game.  We can certainly lose this Dolphins game, although I don't think we will.  I do know we're not going to win every game we're favored to win because that's not how it usually works.  If I had to guess, we'll finish with 8 wins.  

    Is that great?  No, it certainly isn't.  And it comes down to the Broncos game, and the Seahawks game.  Two games we drastically choked away, and that's probably the difference between 8-8 and 10-6.  But hey, if we do finish at 8-8, that's still a pretty fun year, even if we had some severe bullshit to fight through.  

  • I get it, many of us aren't thrilled with how this season is turning out, but there's also some football left to play.  I think the absolute cherry on top was losing our best player to something so stupid as using a helmet to hit someone else with 8 freaking seconds left to go.  That definitely soured me pretty good.  

    We can play the "schedule game" and try to see which teams we'll beat and which ones we'll lose to, but one thing I know from watching the NFL is you never really know who is going to win any game.  We can certainly lose this Dolphins game, although I don't think we will.  I do know we're not going to win every game we're favored to win because that's not how it usually works.  If I had to guess, we'll finish with 8 wins.  

    Is that great?  No, it certainly isn't.  And it comes down to the Broncos game, and the Seahawks game.  Two games we drastically choked away, and that's probably the difference between 8-8 and 10-6.  But hey, if we do finish at 8-8, that's still a pretty fun year, even if we had some severe bullshit to fight through.  

    @jiggins7919 said:

    I get it, many of us aren't thrilled with how this season is turning out, but there's also some football left to play.  I think the absolute cherry on top was losing our best player to something so stupid as using a helmet to hit someone else with 8 freaking seconds left to go.  That definitely soured me pretty good.  

    We can play the "schedule game" and try to see which teams we'll beat and which ones we'll lose to, but one thing I know from watching the NFL is you never really know who is going to win any game.  We can certainly lose this Dolphins game, although I don't think we will.  I do know we're not going to win every game we're favored to win because that's not how it usually works.  If I had to guess, we'll finish with 8 wins.  

    Is that great?  No, it certainly isn't.  And it comes down to the Broncos game, and the Seahawks game.  Two games we drastically choked away, and that's probably the difference between 8-8 and 10-6.  But hey, if we do finish at 8-8, that's still a pretty fun year, even if we had some severe bullshit to fight through.  

    Well, the OP is Mr. Pessimist, you are Mr. Milktoast. But I think I was Mr. "Lets see how we can get this done". 

  • Year after year the Browns are struggling to have a winning season, yes last year was a much improved season, and now this season is half over and we cant even be a 500 team. Sad, and everyone in the universe was talking so proudly of how good the Browns looked on paper, with this player and the addition of this player. Well how is all that looking now? I will always cheer for the  Browns, but my hopes are not going to happen once again. 2020, i'm in no hurry.

    @brownsfaninpa said:

    Year after year the Browns are struggling to have a winning season, yes last year was a much improved season, and now this season is half over and we cant even be a 500 team. Sad, and everyone in the universe was talking so proudly of how good the Browns looked on paper, with this player and the addition of this player. Well how is all that looking now? I will always cheer for the  Browns, but my hopes are not going to happen once again. 2020, i'm in no hurry.

    And this season of underachievement can be squarely set at the feet of the head coach. As nothing more than a positional coach his entire career, Freddie wasn't up to be head coach, ESPECIALLY to a very young, immature team WHILE also calling the plays. Bad idea. Zero head coach experience on ANY level PLUS was never even as high up as a coordinator job. What did they expect to happen? Freddie is clearly over his head. 

    There are signs that Baker is learning and growing up, so that's a plus. But the team could have desperately used an OC who did the play calling, as it's just too much for FK to be HC and call the plays. 

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    I get it, many of us aren't thrilled with how this season is turning out, but there's also some football left to play.  I think the absolute cherry on top was losing our best player to something so stupid as using a helmet to hit someone else with 8 freaking seconds left to go.  That definitely soured me pretty good.  

    We can play the "schedule game" and try to see which teams we'll beat and which ones we'll lose to, but one thing I know from watching the NFL is you never really know who is going to win any game.  We can certainly lose this Dolphins game, although I don't think we will.  I do know we're not going to win every game we're favored to win because that's not how it usually works.  If I had to guess, we'll finish with 8 wins.  

    Is that great?  No, it certainly isn't.  And it comes down to the Broncos game, and the Seahawks game.  Two games we drastically choked away, and that's probably the difference between 8-8 and 10-6.  But hey, if we do finish at 8-8, that's still a pretty fun year, even if we had some severe bullshit to fight through.  

    Well, the OP is Mr. Pessimist, you are Mr. Milktoast. But I think I was Mr. "Lets see how we can get this done". 

    @the-gipper said:

    Well, the OP is Mr. Pessimist, you are Mr. Milktoast. But I think I was Mr. "Lets see how we can get this done". 

    I think you're over rating the Browns chances, and hoping the teams ahead of us fall flat. Not likely. 

    1) I'll buy the Steelers at 8-8, maybe worse if Ju-Ju and Connor miss significant time.  

    2)  Sorry Gip Raiders could easily go 4-2

    3) Jags, yeah 4-2 or 3-3 is realistic, but they have big problems just like the Browns  

    4)  Texans\ Colts? the TNF game coming up is an elimination game.  

    So the Browns only faint chance of making the playoffs is to run the table- and get a lot of help.  9-7 isn't going to do it this year. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Well, the OP is Mr. Pessimist, you are Mr. Milktoast. But I think I was Mr. "Lets see how we can get this done". 

    I think you're over rating the Browns chances, and hoping the teams ahead of us fall flat. Not likely. 

    1) I'll buy the Steelers at 8-8, maybe worse if Ju-Ju and Connor miss significant time.  

    2)  Sorry Gip Raiders could easily go 4-2

    3) Jags, yeah 4-2 or 3-3 is realistic, but they have big problems just like the Browns  

    4)  Texans\ Colts? the TNF game coming up is an elimination game.  

    So the Browns only faint chance of making the playoffs is to run the table- and get a lot of help.  9-7 isn't going to do it this year. 

    @hoorta said:

    I think you're over rating the Browns chances, and hoping the teams ahead of us fall flat. Not likely. 

    I don't think I indicated that anyone would fall flat...except for maybe the Steelers.

    1) I'll buy the Steelers at 8-8, maybe worse if Ju-Ju and Connor miss significant time.  (and here is the reason why it is highly possible that they may. 

    2)  Sorry Gip Raiders could easily go 4-2.  And, they could easily go 2-4. 

    3) Jags, yeah 4-2 or 3-3 is realistic, but they have big problems just like the Browns  

    4)  Texans\ Colts? the TNF game coming up is an elimination game.  Either one losing helps the Browns...but I think the Colts losing is perhaps better because of that conference record. 

    So the Browns only faint chance of making the playoffs is to run the table- and get a lot of help.  9-7 isn't going to do it this year. 

    I think it very well could....  It would only happen if one of the teams above exceeds expectations....like the Raiders going 4-2. It may not be the Browns, but it could be someone. 

    So, I don't know that I am overrating them so much as trying to figure how it could be done.  Note I said it was very much  a longshot..but not impossible. 

    Browns need  to help themselves, but also need a lot of  other help.   Especially from the teams in the NFCS...which plays those AFCS teams.  The Jets could be helpful with 2 games vs. those AFCS teams.

  • So, based on the above, I am giving the Browns competitors the following records:

    Colts 9-7

    Houston 9-7

    Jags 8-8

    Tennessee 8-8

    Oakland 8-8

    Steelers 7-9 at best

     I am giving the Bills, at 7-3 the in at one WC, so I am not including them

    As I see it also, the Chiefs are in in the AFCW , as well as the Pats...and lets face it, at 8-2 so are the Ratfuckers.   So the Browns have to get a WC.

    ONE of these 4 teams will win the AFCS.  What the Browns really need is an advantage over the other 3.  Which means that my prediction of 8-8 for the Titans must at minimal come true, as they are the one team that has that  head to head edge on  us. 

    The other critical factor for the other 4,  Raiders, Jags, Texans, Colts would be Conference record.

    Right now these are the Conf. records:

    Raiders 4-2

    Jags  4-4

    Texans 5-2

    Colts  5-4

    Browns are at 4-3 in the AFC.  

    So, as I see it, based on their conf. records....I think we need the Texans to prevail in the AFCS...and for the other 3 teams to cannibalize each other (and of course, lose to their non-division opponents).  

    The Browns need to get to the 9-7 record, with AFC wins over the Fins, Spermsuckers, twice over the Bitchy Pussies.  Really build up that conf. record...and most importantly have the Tits fall behind us. 

    Longshot?  Yes.  Possible? Certainly.   Of course....the Browns MUST win all but one of the rest of their games.

    @the-gipper said:

     I am giving the Bills, at 7-3 the in at one WC, so I am not including them

    we own the head to head win with Bills.. how many more games do you see the Bills winning?

    Denver

    @ Dallas

    Ravens

    @ Pitt

    @Pats

    Jets

    the game on our schedule that bothers me is at Zona..if we win there? were kicking that Ravens as$ again the following week

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    I get it, many of us aren't thrilled with how this season is turning out, but there's also some football left to play.  I think the absolute cherry on top was losing our best player to something so stupid as using a helmet to hit someone else with 8 freaking seconds left to go.  That definitely soured me pretty good.  

    We can play the "schedule game" and try to see which teams we'll beat and which ones we'll lose to, but one thing I know from watching the NFL is you never really know who is going to win any game.  We can certainly lose this Dolphins game, although I don't think we will.  I do know we're not going to win every game we're favored to win because that's not how it usually works.  If I had to guess, we'll finish with 8 wins.  

    Is that great?  No, it certainly isn't.  And it comes down to the Broncos game, and the Seahawks game.  Two games we drastically choked away, and that's probably the difference between 8-8 and 10-6.  But hey, if we do finish at 8-8, that's still a pretty fun year, even if we had some severe bullshit to fight through.  

    Well, the OP is Mr. Pessimist, you are Mr. Milktoast. But I think I was Mr. "Lets see how we can get this done". 

    @the-gipper said:

    Well, the OP is Mr. Pessimist, you are Mr. Milktoast. But I think I was Mr. "Lets see how we can get this done". 

    Meh, been called worse. ?

    The thing I can't get out of my mind is how we're on the verge of trying to turn our season around, we finally beat the Steelers, we've got the Fins coming up at home, and our embattled young QB is turning the corner and WHAMMO. The most absurd shit ever happens. You just can't make this stuff up. 

    There's a chance, maybe even a good chance, that this incident galvanizes our team. We're going to be playing with several guys who don't usually play too much, perhaps some guys that just got signed. The good news is that offensively we come into the game unscathed. Not only that, but we're about as healthy as any offense in the league. We've now got virtually every starting position back to full strength PLUS Kareem Hunt. Yeah, we're depleted like a mofo on defense. But maybe it's time for the offense to carry the load a while.