NFL Top 100 Defensive Linemen and LBs
-
This week, the NFL will reveal those Defensive Linemen and the Linebackers that will make their All Time Top 100 players in NFL History.
What I don't know, because I could not find it in the NFL.com website, is how many of each of these they are going to put on the team.
But, I say that they have to have at least 10 of each.....and I think it would be very, very tough to limit it to that few.
So, in subsequent posts on here, I will list whom I think should go on the list: 10 DL, 10 LBs.
Do your own if you wish.
-
Here is my guess on the DL :
Reggie White
Deacon Jones
Bob Lilley
Alan Page
Merlin Olsen
Mean Joe Greene
Howie Long
Gino Marchetti
Bruce Smith
Michael Strahan
(possible alternate: Warren Sapp)
A couple that I have in the back of my mind that are active, who could be alternates: Aaron Donald, JJ Watt
Am I missing anyone? If you would replace one of mine....say who you would drop off.
-
Linebackers:
Lawrence Taylor
Ray Lewis
Chuck Bednarik
Dick Butkus
Derrick Thomas
Junior Seau
Ray Nitschke
Jack Lambert
Bill George
Derrick Brooks
Top alternates: Sam Huff, Mike Singletary
Who, if anyone, would you put on, again knowing that you have to take one of these off.
-
One factor about my above choices for both DL and LB.....except for 2-3 exceptions, all my choices were from the post-merger era. (1970) But we saw that the selectors in the last round...the RBs, went almost half and half pre and post merger. I think these positions were harder to do....(with as I say exceptions like Bednarik, Bill George, Marchetti)
-
I have learned now what the breakdown will be on the numbers of each position that will be selected for the All Time 100 team:
Running backs: 12
Quarterbacks: 10
Wide Receivers: 10
Tight Ends: 5
Offensive Tackles: 7
Offensive Guards: 7
Centers: 4
Defensive Ends: 7
Defensive Tackles: 7
Middle/Inside Linebackers: 6
Outside Linebackers: 7
Cornerbacks: 7
Safeties: 6
Kickers: 2
Punters: 2
Returners: 2
-
With this Change in the numbers, here is my prediction for those who will be on the team along the DL;
Defensive Ends: (7) Deacon Jones, Howie Long, Bruce Smith, Michael Strahan, Gino Marchetti....and now add: Len Ford** and Leroy Selmon
Defensive tackles (7): Bob Lilley, Mean Joe Greene, Merlin Olsen, Alan Page, Reggie White.....plus add: Warren Sapp and Art Donovan
-
And with this change, here are the predictions for the LB position:
Middle LBs: Ray Lewis, Chuck Bednarik, Dick Butkus, Ray Nitschke, Junior Seau, Jack Lambert
OLBs: Lawrence Taylor, Derrick Thomas, Derrick Brooks, Ted Hendricks, Bobby Bell, Chris Doleman
-
You will see Jack Ham in the OLB and Randy White in the DT
-
You will see Jack Ham in the OLB and Randy White in the DT
You will see Jack Ham in the OLB and Randy White in the DT
Could very well be. So...who do you take out?
-
With this Change in the numbers, here is my prediction for those who will be on the team along the DL;
Defensive Ends: (7) Deacon Jones, Howie Long, Bruce Smith, Michael Strahan, Gino Marchetti....and now add: Len Ford** and Leroy Selmon
Defensive tackles (7): Bob Lilley, Mean Joe Greene, Merlin Olsen, Alan Page, Reggie White.....plus add: Warren Sapp and Art Donovan
With this Change in the numbers, here is my prediction for those who will be on the team along the DL;
Defensive Ends: (7) Deacon Jones, Howie Long, Bruce Smith, Michael Strahan, Gino Marchetti....and now add: Len Ford** and Leroy Selmon
Defensive tackles (7): Bob Lilley, Mean Joe Greene, Merlin Olsen, Alan Page, Reggie White.....plus add: Warren Sapp and Art Donovan
The Results were released tonight:
On DEs I got: Deacon, Smith, Marchetti, and Selmon.....but the committee put on Doug Atkins, Bill Hewitt....and they put Reggie White at DE, not DT??
(no Long, Ford, Strahan)
On DTs I got: Lilley, Greene, Olsen, Page.....and I got Reggie White, but they had him at DE. They also included Randy White, John Randle, and Buck Buchanan
-
And with this change, here are the predictions for the LB position:
Middle LBs: Ray Lewis, Chuck Bednarik, Dick Butkus, Ray Nitschke, Junior Seau, Jack Lambert
OLBs: Lawrence Taylor, Derrick Thomas, Derrick Brooks, Ted Hendricks, Bobby Bell, Chris Doleman
And with this change, here are the predictions for the LB position:
Middle LBs: Ray Lewis, Chuck Bednarik, Dick Butkus, Ray Nitschke, Junior Seau, Jack Lambert
OLBs: Lawrence Taylor, Derrick Thomas, Derrick Brooks, Ted Hendricks, Bobby Bell, Chris Doleman
On MLBs I got: Butkus, Lewis, Seau, and Lambert. They included Joe Schmidt and Willie Lanier (they left of Nitschke). Also...they had Bednarik as an OLB where I had him at ILB
On OLB, I got: Taylor, Thomas, Brooks, Hendricks, Bell. They put Jack Ham in instead of Doleman...and I am OK with that.
-
You will see Jack Ham in the OLB and Randy White in the DT
You will see Jack Ham in the OLB and Randy White in the DT
You were right....both made it.
-
Zombo said:
Reggie White was a DE, Gip, not sure why you had him at DT.
Zombo
He was one of those guys that played all up and down the line, inside and out. He was built more like a DT with his girth...so I guess that is why I had him at DT.
Let's just call him a "Defensive Lineman". JJ Watt has basically done the same thing.
Plus, I am again noticing that they are giving due to the "old timers" with guys like Doug Atkins and Bill Hewitt being on the team, over more recent performers....like Strahan
-
Doug Atkins better be on the team. That guy was a beast.
-
-
Sadly, he should have spent the majority of his career with the Browns, but Paul Brown at that point of his Browns tenure was busy getting rid of defensive HOF talent at a break-neck pace.
Sorry to say, Paul bucked that one up in a big way.
-
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login