Skip to content

CB problems

The Browns Board
42 15 1.6k
  • @icecube said:

    No one seems to be talking about how weak CB play has been. Ward and Greedy haven't been playing as advertised. We thought when they came back, D would be improved. 

    It's been talked about in the Fire Freddy thread but well worth further discussion.  Greg Pruitt also talked about it on one of the Cleveland sports radio shows when he stated Pitts' QB became a hero for throwing ducks with hang time that became TD passes (on our DBs with their backs to the ball).  In a world of you can't tackle what you can't see, you can't intercept/bat what you can't see either.  That also rolled out the red carpet for Pitts' QB to pick up 1st downs with his feet anytime he wanted to. 

    Some of what Tour touched on, also explains why Schobert easily leads this team in INTs.   You could say he's the only one defending passes without blindfolds.  Wait a minute - I did say that.  Anyway, can you imagine what Baltimore will do in the rematch if our corners all have their backs to the QB?  

    @flugel said:

    It's been talked about in the Fire Freddy thread but well worth further discussion.  Greg Pruitt also talked about it on one of the Cleveland sports radio shows when he stated Pitts' QB became a hero for throwing ducks with hang time that became TD passes (on our DBs with their backs to the ball).  In a world of you can't tackle what you can't see, you can't intercept/bat what you can't see either.  That also rolled out the red carpet for Pitts' QB to pick up 1st downs with his feet anytime he wanted to. 

    Some of what Tour touched on, also explains why Schobert easily leads this team in INTs.   You could say he's the only one defending passes without blindfolds.  Wait a minute - I did say that.  Anyway, can you imagine what Baltimore will do in the rematch if our corners all have their backs to the QB?  

    The DBs seem to be taught, "Just grab, grab, grab" which leads to flags. I mean, should you try to cover in a legit way SOME of the time? I mean, some were selling Ward was a top 3 CB. I'm not seeing it. Some fans were claiming he was the best CB in the NFL. 

  • There is a form of "trail" where the DB does not look up/back for the ball, but rather plays the receiver's reaction to the ball. This is what it looked to me like Ward and Greedy were playing.

    I'm not a fan of this approach.

    @tour2ma said:

    There is a form of "trail" where the DB does not look up/back for the ball, but rather plays the receiver's reaction to the ball. This is what it looked to me like Ward and Greedy were playing.

    I'm not a fan of this approach.

    Hammer, meet nail.  A lot of coaches are teaching corners to instead play the ball as it arrives.   For whatever reason, despite the fact that 'look and lean' tends to net less flags IMHO, it is a continued practice.  

    Greedy and Denzel are only playing how and what they're being coached to do.  If anyone has a gripe? (I do)  That rests on Wilks' shoulders.

  • @flugel said:

    It's been talked about in the Fire Freddy thread but well worth further discussion.  Greg Pruitt also talked about it on one of the Cleveland sports radio shows when he stated Pitts' QB became a hero for throwing ducks with hang time that became TD passes (on our DBs with their backs to the ball).  In a world of you can't tackle what you can't see, you can't intercept/bat what you can't see either.  That also rolled out the red carpet for Pitts' QB to pick up 1st downs with his feet anytime he wanted to. 

    Some of what Tour touched on, also explains why Schobert easily leads this team in INTs.   You could say he's the only one defending passes without blindfolds.  Wait a minute - I did say that.  Anyway, can you imagine what Baltimore will do in the rematch if our corners all have their backs to the QB?  

    The DBs seem to be taught, "Just grab, grab, grab" which leads to flags. I mean, should you try to cover in a legit way SOME of the time? I mean, some were selling Ward was a top 3 CB. I'm not seeing it. Some fans were claiming he was the best CB in the NFL. 

    @icecube said:

    The DBs seem to be taught, "Just grab, grab, grab" which leads to flags. I mean, should you try to cover in a legit way SOME of the time? I mean, some were selling Ward was a top 3 CB. I'm not seeing it. Some fans were claiming he was the best CB in the NFL. 

    Ward is still right there at the top of the league for lowest completion percentage allowed when the wide receiver targeted is being covered by him (45%). He has taken a small step back this year but it's not as big as people believe. 

  • @icecube said:

    The DBs seem to be taught, "Just grab, grab, grab" which leads to flags. I mean, should you try to cover in a legit way SOME of the time? I mean, some were selling Ward was a top 3 CB. I'm not seeing it. Some fans were claiming he was the best CB in the NFL. 

    Ward is still right there at the top of the league for lowest completion percentage allowed when the wide receiver targeted is being covered by him (45%). He has taken a small step back this year but it's not as big as people believe. 

    @bjh2130 said:

    Ward is still right there at the top of the league for lowest completion percentage allowed when the wide receiver targeted is being covered by him (45%). He has taken a small step back this year but it's not as big as people believe. 

    Injuries have been his problem.

  • Inexperience. We could’ve used Haden, especially to mentor Ward.

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    Inexperience. We could’ve used Haden, especially to mentor Ward.

    And now Joe is having a career year in Pitt. 

  • @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    Inexperience. We could’ve used Haden, especially to mentor Ward.

    And now Joe is having a career year in Pitt. 

    @icecube said:

    And now Joe is having a career year in Pitt. 

    I know. I really wish he could've stayed on with us, but we also have to remember that the guy was consistently hurt and wasn't playing well. Unfortunately we let him go and we could certainly use him. 

    What hurts even more is how badly Greedy is playing. People can say all they want that he's a rookie and all that, but he's not playing well and it's obvious. 

    I'll tell you this right now, there's a chance Arizona marches the ball up and down the field on us just like Cincy did. I see this being a game where our offense HAS to score 30 points and has to get TDs and not FG's or we're going to lose. It's time to get the offense cranking. 

  • @icecube said:

    And now Joe is having a career year in Pitt. 

    I know. I really wish he could've stayed on with us, but we also have to remember that the guy was consistently hurt and wasn't playing well. Unfortunately we let him go and we could certainly use him. 

    What hurts even more is how badly Greedy is playing. People can say all they want that he's a rookie and all that, but he's not playing well and it's obvious. 

    I'll tell you this right now, there's a chance Arizona marches the ball up and down the field on us just like Cincy did. I see this being a game where our offense HAS to score 30 points and has to get TDs and not FG's or we're going to lose. It's time to get the offense cranking. 

    @jiggins7919 said:

    What hurts even more is how badly Greedy is playing. People can say all they want that he's a rookie and all that, but he's not playing well and it's obvious. 

    Well.... he is a rookie.   And he's a rookie playing at, what is arguably, the 2nd hardest spot in football (now)             Combined with being in a defense not exactly tailored to his skills. 

  • Not sure what y’all are smoking. Haden was always a great corner.

    WE NEVER HAD A MYLES GARRETT TYPE PASS RUSH during Joe’s tenure in Cleveland.. He was the best player on a bad team and we wanted to give him 7 million a year...

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    What hurts even more is how badly Greedy is playing. People can say all they want that he's a rookie and all that, but he's not playing well and it's obvious. 

    Well.... he is a rookie.   And he's a rookie playing at, what is arguably, the 2nd hardest spot in football (now)             Combined with being in a defense not exactly tailored to his skills. 

    @tiamat63 said:

    Well.... he is a rookie.   And he's a rookie playing at, what is arguably, the 2nd hardest spot in football (now)             Combined with being in a defense not exactly tailored to his skills. 

    Yep! He's a rookie, and there are definitely some things to feel good about, but I'd like to see him end on higher note. 

  • @icecube said:

    And now Joe is having a career year in Pitt. 

    I know. I really wish he could've stayed on with us, but we also have to remember that the guy was consistently hurt and wasn't playing well. Unfortunately we let him go and we could certainly use him. 

    What hurts even more is how badly Greedy is playing. People can say all they want that he's a rookie and all that, but he's not playing well and it's obvious. 

    I'll tell you this right now, there's a chance Arizona marches the ball up and down the field on us just like Cincy did. I see this being a game where our offense HAS to score 30 points and has to get TDs and not FG's or we're going to lose. It's time to get the offense cranking. 

    @jiggins7919 said:

    I know. I really wish he could've stayed on with us, but we also have to remember that the guy was consistently hurt and wasn't playing well. Unfortunately we let him go and we could certainly use him. 

    What hurts even more is how badly Greedy is playing. People can say all they want that he's a rookie and all that, but he's not playing well and it's obvious. 

    I'll tell you this right now, there's a chance Arizona marches the ball up and down the field on us just like Cincy did. I see this being a game where our offense HAS to score 30 points and has to get TDs and not FG's or we're going to lose. It's time to get the offense cranking. 

    AZ obviously isn't very good, but they haven't quit. I thought Murray would be better, but he can be thrown down like a small child. 

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Well.... he is a rookie.   And he's a rookie playing at, what is arguably, the 2nd hardest spot in football (now)             Combined with being in a defense not exactly tailored to his skills. 

    Yep! He's a rookie, and there are definitely some things to feel good about, but I'd like to see him end on higher note. 

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Yep! He's a rookie, and there are definitely some things to feel good about, but I'd like to see him end on higher note. 

    How many rookies do much? At any position. But Greedy needs to grow. 

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    Yep! He's a rookie, and there are definitely some things to feel good about, but I'd like to see him end on higher note. 

    How many rookies do much? At any position. But Greedy needs to grow. 

    @icecube said:

    How many rookies do much? At any position. But Greedy needs to grow. 

    I won't lie, Kyler Murray and the Cardinals pretty much terrify me.  After watching the 1-11 Bengals march the ball up and down our throats and sustain multiple drives of over 5 minutes, I'm officially worried.  I mean, I think we made them punt like once, MAYBE twice.  How's our offense supposed to get into a groove when they don't have the ball?!  Murray also doesn't turn the ball over, so that's not good either.  I really believe this will be a game where our offense HAS to click or we WILL lose.  The good news?  The Cardinals' defense is beyond awful and they're weak against both the run AND pass.  My biggest concern offensively is Baker Mayfield's health.  I know he SAYS he's fine, but I wonder if his accuracy is being affected by that thumb injury.  Anyone who has ever damaged their thumb knows beyond a doubt that it hurts like a mofo AND it takes forever to heal.  If Baker is dialed in and not throwing high again, we're going to score a bunch of points.  

  • @icecube said:

    How many rookies do much? At any position. But Greedy needs to grow. 

    I won't lie, Kyler Murray and the Cardinals pretty much terrify me.  After watching the 1-11 Bengals march the ball up and down our throats and sustain multiple drives of over 5 minutes, I'm officially worried.  I mean, I think we made them punt like once, MAYBE twice.  How's our offense supposed to get into a groove when they don't have the ball?!  Murray also doesn't turn the ball over, so that's not good either.  I really believe this will be a game where our offense HAS to click or we WILL lose.  The good news?  The Cardinals' defense is beyond awful and they're weak against both the run AND pass.  My biggest concern offensively is Baker Mayfield's health.  I know he SAYS he's fine, but I wonder if his accuracy is being affected by that thumb injury.  Anyone who has ever damaged their thumb knows beyond a doubt that it hurts like a mofo AND it takes forever to heal.  If Baker is dialed in and not throwing high again, we're going to score a bunch of points.  

    @jiggins7919 said:

    I won't lie, Kyler Murray and the Cardinals pretty much terrify me.  After watching the 1-11 Bengals march the ball up and down our throats and sustain multiple drives of over 5 minutes, I'm officially worried.  I mean, I think we made them punt like once, MAYBE twice.  How's our offense supposed to get into a groove when they don't have the ball?!  Murray also doesn't turn the ball over, so that's not good either.  I really believe this will be a game where our offense HAS to click or we WILL lose.  The good news?  The Cardinals' defense is beyond awful and they're weak against both the run AND pass.  My biggest concern offensively is Baker Mayfield's health.  I know he SAYS he's fine, but I wonder if his accuracy is being affected by that thumb injury.  Anyone who has ever damaged their thumb knows beyond a doubt that it hurts like a mofo AND it takes forever to heal.  If Baker is dialed in and not throwing high again, we're going to score a bunch of points.  

    AZ has a few nice front 7 players on D. And Peterson at CB (overrated). Even the depleted Steelers could run on them. Chubb and Hunt should have field days. But as we all know, anything can happen. 

  • @tour2ma said:

    There is a form of "trail" where the DB does not look up/back for the ball, but rather plays the receiver's reaction to the ball. This is what it looked to me like Ward and Greedy were playing.

    I'm not a fan of this approach.

    Hammer, meet nail.  A lot of coaches are teaching corners to instead play the ball as it arrives.   For whatever reason, despite the fact that 'look and lean' tends to net less flags IMHO, it is a continued practice.  

    Greedy and Denzel are only playing how and what they're being coached to do.  If anyone has a gripe? (I do)  That rests on Wilks' shoulders.

    The left side of AZ's D (Kerr and Jones) are good.... their right side not so much. Given the strength of our left side, we should be going that way early and often.

    @tiamat63 said:

    Hammer, meet nail.  A lot of coaches are teaching corners to instead play the ball as it arrives.   For whatever reason, despite the fact that 'look and lean' tends to net less flags IMHO, it is a continued practice. 

    Yup.... what I hate most is that any under throw is virtually a guaranteed PI. When the WR slows/stops for the ball the trailing DB rarely is able to avoid contacting the WR early.

    @icecube said:

    And now Joe is having a career year in Pitt. 

    ... primarily sitting in a zone.

  • The left side of AZ's D (Kerr and Jones) are good.... their right side not so much. Given the strength of our left side, we should be going that way early and often.

    @tiamat63 said:

    Hammer, meet nail.  A lot of coaches are teaching corners to instead play the ball as it arrives.   For whatever reason, despite the fact that 'look and lean' tends to net less flags IMHO, it is a continued practice. 

    Yup.... what I hate most is that any under throw is virtually a guaranteed PI. When the WR slows/stops for the ball the trailing DB rarely is able to avoid contacting the WR early.

    @icecube said:

    And now Joe is having a career year in Pitt. 

    ... primarily sitting in a zone.

    @tour2ma said:

    The left side of AZ's D (Kerr and Jones) are good.... their right side not so much. Given the strength of our left side, we should be going that way early and often.

    Yup.... what I hate most is that any under throw is virtually a guaranteed PI. When the WR slows/stops for the ball the trailing DB rarely is able to avoid contacting the WR early.

    ... primarily sitting in a zone.

    Sitting in a zone, sitting on a throne - he's having his best season since his rookie year. 

  • Sure... unless you count his 4th season.

    My point was that he's reviving in a zone. We primarily play man.

    What was your point?