Kitchens fate?
-
We are going to go 8-8 worst case scenario.
We are going to go 8-8 worst case scenario.
Which is not a winning season.
-
We are going to go 8-8 worst case scenario.
Which is not a winning season.
Which is not a winning season.
Went 7-8-1 last year. Not much of an improvement with a loaded offensive team.
-
Yea, first coach to give us a winning season in damn near 15 years..... Fuck it, fire him.
The Browns are 6-7.
The Browns are 6-7.
New millennial math. While we're at it, does anyone got two 10s for a 5?
-
We are going to go 8-8 worst case scenario.
Which is not a winning season.
Which is not a winning season.
Fair enough but it's not a losing season either. Let's not get trigger happy just yet.
-
I really hope so. I can honestly say that he's made a lot of mistakes, but he's a rookie, right? Let's ask ourselves an important question. Are we getting better? It's not a simple question to answer.
The product on the field doesn't really inspire confidence, as we still struggle to score points, our defense is gummi bear soft, and we have a constant lack of big play ability. Despite having the leading rusher in the league, we STILL struggle to have any fluidity to our attack, and our drives are all too often herky-jerky and a jumbled mess. The defense is hamstrung by injuries and by one of the biggest blunders by a player this century. I'm of course talking about Myles Garrett, and I thoroughly believe he legitimately cost us a chance at the post season.
But back to the question at hand, are we getting better? We've now won 4-5, and it likely SHOULD have been 5 in a row. Football is a team game, but I feel confident in placing this loss squarely on the shoulders of Garrett. While the product isn't necessarily PLEASING to watch all the time, our team is finding ways to win ugly. Do you guys even realize how big of a step that is? HOW MANY years have we bemoaned the fact that we couldn't win the close, ugly ones?
Listen, I'm the first one to say how annoyed I am at certain things regarding our team. Kitchens doesn't seem to have the best grasp of when to pass vs throw. Like I said in another post, the perfect example of this happened against the Bengals. We had it first and 10 on the 50 right after our only forced 3 and out of the game. We had ALL the momentum. It's a perfect time to dial up your favorite run play and try to assert your dominance while keeping the clock moving. What do we do? We go for the dagger with a deep shot to OBJ, only we can't cut it loose because we have a TE blocking their best pass rusher. Baker gets sacked and we're forced to pass twice more, both incompletions to OBJ.
I totally get that hindsight is 20/20, and maybe being aggressive is a good strategy when you're trying to win the game, but so often this year I felt like Kitchens was disconnected to situational football. You can't say we don't run it enough because Nick Chubb about leads the league in touches. It's more of WHEN those touches are called. But here's the thing, I honestly believe Kitchens is getting better. You may think that last week was a bad offensive performance, and you'd largely be right. However, look at our drives. We moved the ball virtually every time, but Baker threw a bad pick on a WIDE OPEN receiver, and we also got screwed by that Njoku fumble/pick. Other than that, our effing defense never got us the rock back.
Perhaps the biggest reason I don't want a new staff is because of Baker Mayfield. I don't want him to learn a new system, as we know first hand what that does to a young signal caller. I realize Baker struggled this year, but I also know what he's capable of doing and I want him focused on improving what he already knows, NOT trying to learn something else.
I think we're built for the future, and with the right tweaks, we could have an offense that legitimately terrifies people on the ground and air. Let's give it another year and see where we stand.
I really hope so. I can honestly say that he's made a lot of mistakes, but he's a rookie, right? Let's ask ourselves an important question. Are we getting better? It's not a simple question to answer.
The product on the field doesn't really inspire confidence, as we still struggle to score points, our defense is gummi bear soft, and we have a constant lack of big play ability. Despite having the leading rusher in the league, we STILL struggle to have any fluidity to our attack, and our drives are all too often herky-jerky and a jumbled mess. The defense is hamstrung by injuries and by one of the biggest blunders by a player this century. I'm of course talking about Myles Garrett, and I thoroughly believe he legitimately cost us a chance at the post season.
But back to the question at hand, are we getting better? We've now won 4-5, and it likely SHOULD have been 5 in a row. Football is a team game, but I feel confident in placing this loss squarely on the shoulders of Garrett. While the product isn't necessarily PLEASING to watch all the time, our team is finding ways to win ugly. Do you guys even realize how big of a step that is? HOW MANY years have we bemoaned the fact that we couldn't win the close, ugly ones?
Listen, I'm the first one to say how annoyed I am at certain things regarding our team. Kitchens doesn't seem to have the best grasp of when to pass vs throw. Like I said in another post, the perfect example of this happened against the Bengals. We had it first and 10 on the 50 right after our only forced 3 and out of the game. We had ALL the momentum. It's a perfect time to dial up your favorite run play and try to assert your dominance while keeping the clock moving. What do we do? We go for the dagger with a deep shot to OBJ, only we can't cut it loose because we have a TE blocking their best pass rusher. Baker gets sacked and we're forced to pass twice more, both incompletions to OBJ.
I totally get that hindsight is 20/20, and maybe being aggressive is a good strategy when you're trying to win the game, but so often this year I felt like Kitchens was disconnected to situational football. You can't say we don't run it enough because Nick Chubb about leads the league in touches. It's more of WHEN those touches are called. But here's the thing, I honestly believe Kitchens is getting better. You may think that last week was a bad offensive performance, and you'd largely be right. However, look at our drives. We moved the ball virtually every time, but Baker threw a bad pick on a WIDE OPEN receiver, and we also got screwed by that Njoku fumble/pick. Other than that, our effing defense never got us the rock back.
Perhaps the biggest reason I don't want a new staff is because of Baker Mayfield. I don't want him to learn a new system, as we know first hand what that does to a young signal caller. I realize Baker struggled this year, but I also know what he's capable of doing and I want him focused on improving what he already knows, NOT trying to learn something else.
I think we're built for the future, and with the right tweaks, we could have an offense that legitimately terrifies people on the ground and air. Let's give it another year and see where we stand.
Well thought out post, Jigs. I totally get the point about not wanting ANOTHER coaching change after 1 season. I get it. But I worry Freddie just doesn't have it in him, no matter how many chances he's given. I don't think the players respect him. Baker hinted that he is the discipline dearth cause. Let's put it this way: What would this team be with Ron Rivera or Mike McCarthy running the ship? I say a playoff team.
-
In Freddie's defense, Dorsey's trading for OBJ put more pressure on Kitchens as a win now team. In hindsight they should've kept Perriman, Peppers and solidifed both lines. Still doesn't excuse the lack of discipline though.
don’t agree with this take.
We sold high on Peppers. Ask Giants fans.
And Perriman was playing for his next check.We put faith in Freddy the playcaller by giving him an extra special toy. I can’t fault Dorsey for that.
don’t agree with this take.
We sold high on Peppers. Ask Giants fans.
And Perriman was playing for his next check.We put faith in Freddy the playcaller by giving him an extra special toy. I can’t fault Dorsey for that.
I liked the OBJ trade at the time but this year Mayfield’s been forcing the ball to him instead of distributing it evenly like last year. Perriman can take the top off a defense like OBJ was supposed to. Wilkes’ defense relies on good strong safety play which we haven’t had all year, Peppers is MUCH better than everyone we’ve put out there this season and probably would’ve won us the Denver game at least ( Whitehead’s masterpiece).
Edit: Also Perriman wanted to stay, he only requested to be released after OBJ was acquired. -
Yea, first coach to give us a winning season in damn near 15 years..... Fuck it, fire him.
Yea, first coach to give us a winning season in damn near 15 years..... Fuck it, fire him.
After a total display of crap football against Arizona, I sure don't want more of the same next year.
-
Alright boys, I was wrong. Fire Freddie.
-
He’s got to go. The team has totally quit this game
The coaching staff has done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to warrant another year
-
The thing that plays against Kitchens is that I remember playing some games that we were close to winning last year, but finally didn't. We could have started 4-0 and nobody would have been really surprised (Steelers' tie, Saints kicking fiasco, Raiders' refball...) We were a few plays away from winning. Then we fired Hue and the team turned the table to end the season 7-8-1. It was an exciting season overall, even when losing games.
This year, many times what I think is 'wtf are we doing'. Bad discipline, playcalls get late, cute playcalls that go nowhere, stupid challenges, players with no mental toughness, a quaterback speaking and doing commercials BUT NOT playing like he should... Feelings are polar opposite to a 'learning coach' or an 'improving team'. I wish I could think otherwise.
-
Enough is enough, this team QUIT today. Season is done. We're gonna finish 7-9 with one of the best rosters in football. Please FIRE Freddie.......................hopefully before they board the plane to go home.
-
Enough is enough, this team QUIT today. Season is done. We're gonna finish 7-9 with one of the best rosters in football. Please FIRE Freddie.......................hopefully before they board the plane to go home.
Enough is enough, this team QUIT today. Season is done. We're gonna finish 7-9 with one of the best rosters in football. Please FIRE Freddie.......................hopefully before they board the plane to go home.
They won’t beat CINCY if they play like they did today
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login