Skip to content

We Need Our Abraham

The Browns Board
13 6 413 1
  • A little historical perspective:

    In the era leading up to the Civil War, the United States had a series of Presidents that,  lets just say, history has not looked kindly upon.   You have  the likes of John Tyler,  Zachary Taylor,  Millard Fillmore, Franklin Pierce, and James Buchanan.  Each one of these routinely rank among the worst Presidents that we have had in our history.    A couple had some  moments, but all  were deemed failures for one reason or another.   But then, along came Abraham Lincoln.    Lincoln is routinely rated as among the Top 1-3  President's we have ever had.

    Compare this to the Brown coaching situation:   We have been and are going through our version of Lincoln's predecessors.   Freddie, Hue Jackson, Pat Shurmur,  Pettine, Chud, Mangini, Crennel, Davis, Palmer.  A couple have had a few moments, but all deemed absolute failures. 

    So, when do we get our Abraham Lincoln.  A person who came into his job amid strife and acrimony, yet, who, in the end has proven one of the greatest ever. 

    I mean, early in the Browns existence  the Browns had their George Washington (PB), their Thomas Jefferson (Collier), their Madison and Monroe (Marty)....and even their Andrew Jackson...a guy that brought on  a lot of strife at the time, yet who through historical perspective was actually seen to be a pretty good, if controversial POTUS  (Belichick).    But now we are in the midst of the doldrums of bad leadership, just like the US pre Abe.

    Browns fans  need an Emancipator to free us from the drudgery that we are undergoing.   (and here I know I am mixing my historical figures....by 100 years);  when can we have a coach about whom we can  proclaim that we are:

    Free at last, free at last.  Thank God Almighty We are Free at Last.     

  • To go with our Bobby and our John???

  • Where do you rankPolk? An interesting (polarizing) cat-

  • Where do you rankPolk? An interesting (polarizing) cat-

    @alporcini said:

    Where do you rankPolk? An interesting (polarizing) cat-

    He generally ranks top 10-12.  As much as anyone, beside Jefferson and the Louisiana Purchase, he was responsible for "Manifest Destiny".  During his term the US acquired (or you can say "gained by conquest)  Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona, Utah, California, most of Nevada.

  • Zombo said:

    We need our FDR ... Stay for 12 years and win 4 championships.

    Zombo

    And he was preceded by a fairly below average group of guys:  Harding, Coolidge, Hoover

  • @alporcini said:

    Where do you rankPolk? An interesting (polarizing) cat-

    He generally ranks top 10-12.  As much as anyone, beside Jefferson and the Louisiana Purchase, he was responsible for "Manifest Destiny".  During his term the US acquired (or you can say "gained by conquest)  Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona, Utah, California, most of Nevada.

    @the-gipper said:

    He generally ranks top 10-12.  As much as anyone, beside Jefferson and the Louisiana Purchase, he was responsible for "Manifest Destiny".  During his term the US acquired (or you can say "gained by conquest)  Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona, Utah, California, most of Nevada.

    I think Mexico might argue that he was our first president to steal land with a fake war. They would rate him as our worst neighboring president ever. Verdad!?

  • @the-gipper said:

    He generally ranks top 10-12.  As much as anyone, beside Jefferson and the Louisiana Purchase, he was responsible for "Manifest Destiny".  During his term the US acquired (or you can say "gained by conquest)  Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona, Utah, California, most of Nevada.

    I think Mexico might argue that he was our first president to steal land with a fake war. They would rate him as our worst neighboring president ever. Verdad!?

    @texasag1969 said:

    I think Mexico might argue that he was our first president to steal land with a fake war. They would rate him as our worst neighboring president ever. Verdad!?

    Well, when you lose, you lose, bitches.   Mexico had already lost Texas and California to internal revolutions....even if they did not accept those situations.   Both were independent republics when they elected to join the USA.    The US could have actually acquired more if they had a mind to....all the way down to Mexico City.  We could have annexed practically the entire east coast of Mexico down to Veracruz if we had wanted. 

    Map20.jpg

  • With the title l thought this was going in a biblical direction. I’m pretty sure we’ve had no shortage of leaders to lead us through the wilderness for 40 years.

  • With the title l thought this was going in a biblical direction. I’m pretty sure we’ve had no shortage of leaders to lead us through the wilderness for 40 years.

    @ibleedbrown said:

    With the title l thought this was going in a biblical direction. I’m pretty sure we’ve had no shortage of leaders to lead us through the wilderness for 40 years.

     That was Moses. But maybe we do need a Moses to 

  • @ibleedbrown said:

    With the title l thought this was going in a biblical direction. I’m pretty sure we’ve had no shortage of leaders to lead us through the wilderness for 40 years.

     That was Moses. But maybe we do need a Moses to 

    @the-gipper said:

     That was Moses. But maybe we do need a Moses to 

    If we are talking about fictional historical people to lead the Browns out of this nightmare, I'll go with Gandalf. 

  • @the-gipper said:

     That was Moses. But maybe we do need a Moses to 

    If we are talking about fictional historical people to lead the Browns out of this nightmare, I'll go with Gandalf. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    If we are talking about fictional historical people to lead the Browns out of this nightmare, I'll go with Gandalf. 

    Well.....even though you have used an oxymoron....I don't think that Gandalf fits the bill "fictional historical" character.  I don't thing anyone has ever claimed that he was anything but fictional.  

     Moses....maybe,  King Arthur maybe;  Robin Hood maybe;   Homer maybe;  Sun Tzu;     And lots of other biblical characters  from Adam to Moses to King David.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    If we are talking about fictional historical people to lead the Browns out of this nightmare, I'll go with Gandalf. 

    Well.....even though you have used an oxymoron....I don't think that Gandalf fits the bill "fictional historical" character.  I don't thing anyone has ever claimed that he was anything but fictional.  

     Moses....maybe,  King Arthur maybe;  Robin Hood maybe;   Homer maybe;  Sun Tzu;     And lots of other biblical characters  from Adam to Moses to King David.

    @the-gipper said:

    Well.....even though you have used an oxymoron....I don't think that Gandalf fits the bill "fictional historical" character.  I don't thing anyone has ever claimed that he was anything but fictional.  

     Moses....maybe,  King Arthur maybe;  Robin Hood maybe;   Homer maybe;  Sun Tzu;     And lots of other biblical characters  from Adam to Moses to King David.

    A fictional character from a past age, ok?

  • @the-gipper said:

    Well.....even though you have used an oxymoron....I don't think that Gandalf fits the bill "fictional historical" character.  I don't thing anyone has ever claimed that he was anything but fictional.  

     Moses....maybe,  King Arthur maybe;  Robin Hood maybe;   Homer maybe;  Sun Tzu;     And lots of other biblical characters  from Adam to Moses to King David.

    A fictional character from a past age, ok?

    @dutch-oven said:

    A fictional character from a past age, ok?

    Well, of course, when you are dealing with a purely fictional universe, you don't know if it is a past age or not, right?   I mean,  who knows when epics like  The Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones  take place in terms of Earth times?  They could be far, far into our  future, for all we know, fair to say?

    Of course Star Wars says it takes place long, long ago in a galaxy far away.  But it obviously seems futuristic.