Browns to interview McCarthy
-
ugh....hate the idea of MM.
He is way too conservative and doesn't understand risk/reward, point expectation charts, etc
He SINGLEHANDEDLY lost the nfc championship game in Seattle some years ago with numerous terrible decisions. He kicked two field goals at the 1 yard line in the 1st quarter. That's terrible and not defensible. Then, as if that weren't bad enough, with 4-5 minutes in the game GB had the ball up 11(?) and he ran the ball into the line 3 straight times. Didn't even try to get a first down.....with prime Aaron Rodgers. GB punted and the next time they touched the ball they were behind.
I do not want the coach responsible for that coaching malpractice to coach the Cleveland Browns.
-
Don't worry he walked without taking an offer. He will be announced as the Giants HC soon.
-
ugh....hate the idea of MM.
He is way too conservative and doesn't understand risk/reward, point expectation charts, etc
He SINGLEHANDEDLY lost the nfc championship game in Seattle some years ago with numerous terrible decisions. He kicked two field goals at the 1 yard line in the 1st quarter. That's terrible and not defensible. Then, as if that weren't bad enough, with 4-5 minutes in the game GB had the ball up 11(?) and he ran the ball into the line 3 straight times. Didn't even try to get a first down.....with prime Aaron Rodgers. GB punted and the next time they touched the ball they were behind.
I do not want the coach responsible for that coaching malpractice to coach the Cleveland Browns.
ugh....hate the idea of MM.
He is way too conservative and doesn't understand risk/reward, point expectation charts, etc
He SINGLEHANDEDLY lost the nfc championship game in Seattle some years ago with numerous terrible decisions. He kicked two field goals at the 1 yard line in the 1st quarter. That's terrible and not defensible. Then, as if that weren't bad enough, with 4-5 minutes in the game GB had the ball up 11(?) and he ran the ball into the line 3 straight times. Didn't even try to get a first down.....with prime Aaron Rodgers. GB punted and the next time they touched the ball they were behind.
I do not want the coach responsible for that coaching malpractice to coach the Cleveland Browns.
He lost the NFC Championship game. So he won more playoff games that season than the Browns have won in decades. Man... who wants that round here!
-
No denying he had success in GB.
Also no denying that he failed miserably his final two seasons there, grew to be at odds with his star QB and finally lost the team.
I'm a firm pass...
No denying he had success in GB.
Also no denying that he failed miserably his final two seasons there, grew to be at odds with his star QB and finally lost the team.
I'm a firm pass...
And you're getting the entire package, not just Mike.... After Rivera- I suppose McCarthy is next on the list of "hot" HC candidates. We got one of those "Hot" guys a few years ago- the Huebatross. Of course McCarthy's resume is a tad better than Jackson's.
-
No denying he had success in GB.
Also no denying that he failed miserably his final two seasons there, grew to be at odds with his star QB and finally lost the team.
I'm a firm pass...
No denying he had success in GB.
Also no denying that he failed miserably his final two seasons there, grew to be at odds with his star QB and finally lost the team.
I'm a firm pass...
I wasn't going to respond but I had to. This is why the Browns can't have nice things, judging a guy for stuff that happened with some other team. Two totally different scenarios, two totally different teams, people learn from their mistakes and grow. This is why I get so frustrated with the Browns fanbase, you're not willing to trust a guy like McCarthy with the proven track record he has but would be all for bringing in another promising coordinator because that has worked out so well for the Browns. Whether you like it or not, he IS the best candidate AVAILABLE. I don't want some college coach, or some coordinator from some successful team, I want a guy who knows how to run a team.
Fuck, this franchise and fanbase is the very definition of insanity and it makes it hard to be a fan. As long as the Browns continue this same process they will be stuck in eternal purgatory. No thanks on that and I will be taking a break until they get a real coaching staff which will probably be never as long as Jimmy Haslam owns the team.
-
No denying he had success in GB.
Also no denying that he failed miserably his final two seasons there, grew to be at odds with his star QB and finally lost the team.
I'm a firm pass...
I wasn't going to respond but I had to. This is why the Browns can't have nice things, judging a guy for stuff that happened with some other team. Two totally different scenarios, two totally different teams, people learn from their mistakes and grow. This is why I get so frustrated with the Browns fanbase, you're not willing to trust a guy like McCarthy with the proven track record he has but would be all for bringing in another promising coordinator because that has worked out so well for the Browns. Whether you like it or not, he IS the best candidate AVAILABLE. I don't want some college coach, or some coordinator from some successful team, I want a guy who knows how to run a team.
Fuck, this franchise and fanbase is the very definition of insanity and it makes it hard to be a fan. As long as the Browns continue this same process they will be stuck in eternal purgatory. No thanks on that and I will be taking a break until they get a real coaching staff which will probably be never as long as Jimmy Haslam owns the team.
I wasn't going to respond but I had to. This is why the Browns can't have nice things, judging a guy for stuff that happened with some other team. Two totally different scenarios, two totally different teams, people learn from their mistakes and grow. This is why I get so frustrated with the Browns fanbase, you're not willing to trust a guy like McCarthy with the proven track record he has but would be all for bringing in another promising coordinator because that has worked out so well for the Browns. Whether you like it or not, he IS the best candidate AVAILABLE. I don't want some college coach, or some coordinator from some successful team, I want a guy who knows how to run a team.
Fuck, this franchise and fanbase is the very definition of insanity and it makes it hard to be a fan. As long as the Browns continue this same process they will be stuck in eternal purgatory. No thanks on that and I will be taking a break until they get a real coaching staff which will probably be never as long as Jimmy Haslam owns the team.
I get your point but- IIRC the number of coaches who have won Super Bowls with different teams is zero.
-
I wasn't going to respond but I had to. This is why the Browns can't have nice things, judging a guy for stuff that happened with some other team. Two totally different scenarios, two totally different teams, people learn from their mistakes and grow. This is why I get so frustrated with the Browns fanbase, you're not willing to trust a guy like McCarthy with the proven track record he has but would be all for bringing in another promising coordinator because that has worked out so well for the Browns. Whether you like it or not, he IS the best candidate AVAILABLE. I don't want some college coach, or some coordinator from some successful team, I want a guy who knows how to run a team.
Fuck, this franchise and fanbase is the very definition of insanity and it makes it hard to be a fan. As long as the Browns continue this same process they will be stuck in eternal purgatory. No thanks on that and I will be taking a break until they get a real coaching staff which will probably be never as long as Jimmy Haslam owns the team.
I get your point but- IIRC the number of coaches who have won Super Bowls with different teams is zero.
I get your point but- IIRC the number of coaches who have won Super Bowls with different teams is zero.
See, there's that insanity I am talking about (no offense) Let's just make it to the playoffs before we start talking about Super Bowls. I am not looking for Bill Belichick numbers, I would be happy if we can get the team to hover around 8-8, 9-7 range consistently. At least give us a chance to make the playoffs every year then a Super Bowl would be a bonus. McCarthy would get us to that consistent level to where all we need to do is add a piece here or there and we are contenders. Again, McCarthy has the resume to give him multiple years to build the team, you just can't give that kind of leash to some coordinator because the cycle will repeat itself. You have to crawl before you can walk and the Browns can't do anything at this point in time. McCarthy is the right coach at the right time. Hopefully somebody out there understands what I'm trying to say.
-
I get your point but- IIRC the number of coaches who have won Super Bowls with different teams is zero.
See, there's that insanity I am talking about (no offense) Let's just make it to the playoffs before we start talking about Super Bowls. I am not looking for Bill Belichick numbers, I would be happy if we can get the team to hover around 8-8, 9-7 range consistently. At least give us a chance to make the playoffs every year then a Super Bowl would be a bonus. McCarthy would get us to that consistent level to where all we need to do is add a piece here or there and we are contenders. Again, McCarthy has the resume to give him multiple years to build the team, you just can't give that kind of leash to some coordinator because the cycle will repeat itself. You have to crawl before you can walk and the Browns can't do anything at this point in time. McCarthy is the right coach at the right time. Hopefully somebody out there understands what I'm trying to say.
See, there's that insanity I am talking about (no offense) Let's just make it to the playoffs before we start talking about Super Bowls. I am not looking for Bill Belichick numbers, I would be happy if we can get the team to hover around 8-8, 9-7 range consistently. At least give us a chance to make the playoffs every year then a Super Bowl would be a bonus. McCarthy would get us to that consistent level to where all we need to do is add a piece here or there and we are contenders. Again, McCarthy has the resume to give him multiple years to build the team, you just can't give that kind of leash to some coordinator because the cycle will repeat itself. You have to crawl before you can walk and the Browns can't do anything at this point in time. McCarthy is the right coach at the right time. Hopefully somebody out there understands what I'm trying to say.
I get it, since the Browns have been a train wreck- consistent mediocrity looks pretty good. Hell's Bells, if the Browns had a 1/2 competent HC last year we would have easily reached your low goal. It wouldn't have taken McCarthy either.
IIRC the Rams gave Shanahan a long term deal, think they wouldn't have canned him after a couple of years if he had posted a Hue Jackson record? Face it, failure = turnover.
-
I finally give in. Watch his interview and dude seemed super focus and sincere. Does anyone remember Andy Reid last year? Guy was checked the fucked out and they went 4-12. I can't believe I'm typing this but I really think he the year off was needed and is the right coach. WOW what a year
-
I get your point but- IIRC the number of coaches who have won Super Bowls with different teams is zero.
See, there's that insanity I am talking about (no offense) Let's just make it to the playoffs before we start talking about Super Bowls. I am not looking for Bill Belichick numbers, I would be happy if we can get the team to hover around 8-8, 9-7 range consistently. At least give us a chance to make the playoffs every year then a Super Bowl would be a bonus. McCarthy would get us to that consistent level to where all we need to do is add a piece here or there and we are contenders. Again, McCarthy has the resume to give him multiple years to build the team, you just can't give that kind of leash to some coordinator because the cycle will repeat itself. You have to crawl before you can walk and the Browns can't do anything at this point in time. McCarthy is the right coach at the right time. Hopefully somebody out there understands what I'm trying to say.
See, there's that insanity I am talking about (no offense) Let's just make it to the playoffs before we start talking about Super Bowls. I am not looking for Bill Belichick numbers, I would be happy if we can get the team to hover around 8-8, 9-7 range consistently. At least give us a chance to make the playoffs every year then a Super Bowl would be a bonus. McCarthy would get us to that consistent level to where all we need to do is add a piece here or there and we are contenders. Again, McCarthy has the resume to give him multiple years to build the team, you just can't give that kind of leash to some coordinator because the cycle will repeat itself. You have to crawl before you can walk and the Browns can't do anything at this point in time. McCarthy is the right coach at the right time. Hopefully somebody out there understands what I'm trying to say.
That is what I believe as well. McCarthy is a solid coach with a good resume and with McCarthy as HC the Browns will get the chance to be a respected NFL team. My first choice was Rivera but the Redskins quickly snatched him up. I'm concerned the same will happen with McCarthy with the Giants taking him if we don't act while he is still available.
-
No denying he had success in GB.
Also no denying that he failed miserably his final two seasons there, grew to be at odds with his star QB and finally lost the team.
I'm a firm pass...
-
See, there's that insanity I am talking about (no offense) Let's just make it to the playoffs before we start talking about Super Bowls. I am not looking for Bill Belichick numbers, I would be happy if we can get the team to hover around 8-8, 9-7 range consistently. At least give us a chance to make the playoffs every year then a Super Bowl would be a bonus. McCarthy would get us to that consistent level to where all we need to do is add a piece here or there and we are contenders. Again, McCarthy has the resume to give him multiple years to build the team, you just can't give that kind of leash to some coordinator because the cycle will repeat itself. You have to crawl before you can walk and the Browns can't do anything at this point in time. McCarthy is the right coach at the right time. Hopefully somebody out there understands what I'm trying to say.
That is what I believe as well. McCarthy is a solid coach with a good resume and with McCarthy as HC the Browns will get the chance to be a respected NFL team. My first choice was Rivera but the Redskins quickly snatched him up. I'm concerned the same will happen with McCarthy with the Giants taking him if we don't act while he is still available.
That is what I believe as well. McCarthy is a solid coach with a good resume and with McCarthy as HC the Browns will get the chance to be a respected NFL team. My first choice was Rivera but the Redskins quickly snatched him up. I'm concerned the same will happen with McCarthy with the Giants taking him if we don't act while he is still available.
But that is not how it's done in Brownsland. This is how we decide what to do. No running car for the Browns once again. Too many chainsaws still left in the shed.?
-
I'm also convinced MM will end up elsewhere & that's too bad.
The Haslams would rather trust McDaniels (who I believe they want).......He who failed as HC in Denver & bailed on the Colts after accepting their offer. Hadn't they already started the hiring process of "Fail & Bail Boy"s staff?
After as many failures as the Haslams have had, & with this young team, I would think that going with successful experience IN THE POSITION & credibility might be wise.
We'll see what happens, but if this HC decision ends in more failure, I'll not be surprised.
Mike
-
Don't worry he walked without taking an offer. He will be announced as the Giants HC soon.
-
I wasn't going to respond but I had to. This is why the Browns can't have nice things, judging a guy for stuff that happened with some other team. Two totally different scenarios, two totally different teams, people learn from their mistakes and grow. This is why I get so frustrated with the Browns fanbase, you're not willing to trust a guy like McCarthy with the proven track record he has but would be all for bringing in another promising coordinator because that has worked out so well for the Browns. Whether you like it or not, he IS the best candidate AVAILABLE. I don't want some college coach, or some coordinator from some successful team, I want a guy who knows how to run a team.
Fuck, this franchise and fanbase is the very definition of insanity and it makes it hard to be a fan. As long as the Browns continue this same process they will be stuck in eternal purgatory. No thanks on that and I will be taking a break until they get a real coaching staff which will probably be never as long as Jimmy Haslam owns the team.
I get your point but- IIRC the number of coaches who have won Super Bowls with different teams is zero.
I get your point but- IIRC the number of coaches who have won Super Bowls with different teams is zero.
Technically correct, but Shula did win championships with 2 different franchises.
But there really is no science to this. From that statement, it would be better to have someone who didn't win one or never made it.
Or take it a step further, look at last 20 years (a lot of older coaches wouldn't be in league anymore).
Belichick: not happening
Pederson: not happening
Kubiak: Possible?
Carroll: Not happening
Harbaugh: Not happening
Coughlin: retired
McCarthy: The issue here
Payton: Not happening
Tomlin: Not happening
Dungy: retired
Cowher: retired
Gruden: Not happening or would want
Billick: retired
Vermeil: retired
I would guess that everyone would want: Belichick, Pederson, Carroll, Harbaugh, Payton, Tomlin.
They would ALL go against that trend referenced. So I don't think that should be a good reason to be against MM.
-
While I certainly wouldn't be thrilled about McCarthy and I imagine, even if he were to achieve some success here, in time it would fade much like his GB tenure.
That having been said, I'll take him 8 days a week over McDaniels. I cannot express my loathing enough of that guy. How much I despised Manziel as a player and person - that is my level of contempt for that man.
-
Maybe I just assumed that because it looks like the HC will be hired first, and then the GM......that the HC would be in charge. I think/thought that the HC would be able to hire "his guy" at GM....making the HC the superior of the GM. But as some have pointed out the Haslam's are apparently going back to the tried and failed model of HC/GM equal authority of reporting to the owner.
But Haslam explained that there won't be any friction with both the HC and GM reporting to him (unlike before) BECAUSE THE NEW HC AND GM WILL BE BEST BUDS AND THEY'LL HAVE SLEEP OVERS AND MAKE SMORES!
But Haslam explained that there won't be any friction with both the HC and GM reporting to him (unlike before) BECAUSE THE NEW HC AND GM WILL BE BEST BUDS AND THEY'LL HAVE SLEEP OVERS AND MAKE SMORES!
Don't forget about DePodesta...he will tell scary stories, like when Hue went 1-31!
-
I get your point but- IIRC the number of coaches who have won Super Bowls with different teams is zero.
Technically correct, but Shula did win championships with 2 different franchises.
But there really is no science to this. From that statement, it would be better to have someone who didn't win one or never made it.
Or take it a step further, look at last 20 years (a lot of older coaches wouldn't be in league anymore).
Belichick: not happening
Pederson: not happening
Kubiak: Possible?
Carroll: Not happening
Harbaugh: Not happening
Coughlin: retired
McCarthy: The issue here
Payton: Not happening
Tomlin: Not happening
Dungy: retired
Cowher: retired
Gruden: Not happening or would want
Billick: retired
Vermeil: retired
I would guess that everyone would want: Belichick, Pederson, Carroll, Harbaugh, Payton, Tomlin.
They would ALL go against that trend referenced. So I don't think that should be a good reason to be against MM.
Technically correct, but Shula did win championships with 2 different franchises.
But there really is no science to this. From that statement, it would be better to have someone who didn't win one or never made it.
Or take it a step further, look at last 20 years (a lot of older coaches wouldn't be in league anymore).
Belichick: not happening
Pederson: not happening
Kubiak: Possible?
Carroll: Not happening
Harbaugh: Not happening
Coughlin: retired
McCarthy: The issue here
Payton: Not happening
Tomlin: Not happening
Dungy: retired
Cowher: retired
Gruden: Not happening or would want
Billick: retired
Vermeil: retired
I would guess that everyone would want: Belichick, Pederson, Carroll, Harbaugh, Payton, Tomlin.
They would ALL go against that trend referenced. So I don't think that should be a good reason to be against MM.
Gunz, it's out of our hands. Whatever happens, happens. If the Browns pick McCarthy, McDaniels, someone we never heard of, or the homeless guy- so be it.
I'm for sure not going to be whoopee enthused regardless who the choice is. We've gotten burned too many times already.
-
I wasn't going to respond but I had to. This is why the Browns can't have nice things, judging a guy for stuff that happened with some other team. Two totally different scenarios, two totally different teams, people learn from their mistakes and grow. This is why I get so frustrated with the Browns fanbase, you're not willing to trust a guy like McCarthy with the proven track record he has but would be all for bringing in another promising coordinator because that has worked out so well for the Browns. Whether you like it or not, he IS the best candidate AVAILABLE. I don't want some college coach, or some coordinator from some successful team, I want a guy who knows how to run a team.
Fuck, this franchise and fanbase is the very definition of insanity and it makes it hard to be a fan. As long as the Browns continue this same process they will be stuck in eternal purgatory. No thanks on that and I will be taking a break until they get a real coaching staff which will probably be never as long as Jimmy Haslam owns the team.
I get your point but- IIRC the number of coaches who have won Super Bowls with different teams is zero.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
