Browns to interview McCarthy
-
Don't worry he walked without taking an offer. He will be announced as the Giants HC soon.
-
I wasn't going to respond but I had to. This is why the Browns can't have nice things, judging a guy for stuff that happened with some other team. Two totally different scenarios, two totally different teams, people learn from their mistakes and grow. This is why I get so frustrated with the Browns fanbase, you're not willing to trust a guy like McCarthy with the proven track record he has but would be all for bringing in another promising coordinator because that has worked out so well for the Browns. Whether you like it or not, he IS the best candidate AVAILABLE. I don't want some college coach, or some coordinator from some successful team, I want a guy who knows how to run a team.
Fuck, this franchise and fanbase is the very definition of insanity and it makes it hard to be a fan. As long as the Browns continue this same process they will be stuck in eternal purgatory. No thanks on that and I will be taking a break until they get a real coaching staff which will probably be never as long as Jimmy Haslam owns the team.
I get your point but- IIRC the number of coaches who have won Super Bowls with different teams is zero.
I get your point but- IIRC the number of coaches who have won Super Bowls with different teams is zero.
Technically correct, but Shula did win championships with 2 different franchises.
But there really is no science to this. From that statement, it would be better to have someone who didn't win one or never made it.
Or take it a step further, look at last 20 years (a lot of older coaches wouldn't be in league anymore).
Belichick: not happening
Pederson: not happening
Kubiak: Possible?
Carroll: Not happening
Harbaugh: Not happening
Coughlin: retired
McCarthy: The issue here
Payton: Not happening
Tomlin: Not happening
Dungy: retired
Cowher: retired
Gruden: Not happening or would want
Billick: retired
Vermeil: retired
I would guess that everyone would want: Belichick, Pederson, Carroll, Harbaugh, Payton, Tomlin.
They would ALL go against that trend referenced. So I don't think that should be a good reason to be against MM.
-
While I certainly wouldn't be thrilled about McCarthy and I imagine, even if he were to achieve some success here, in time it would fade much like his GB tenure.
That having been said, I'll take him 8 days a week over McDaniels. I cannot express my loathing enough of that guy. How much I despised Manziel as a player and person - that is my level of contempt for that man.
-
Maybe I just assumed that because it looks like the HC will be hired first, and then the GM......that the HC would be in charge. I think/thought that the HC would be able to hire "his guy" at GM....making the HC the superior of the GM. But as some have pointed out the Haslam's are apparently going back to the tried and failed model of HC/GM equal authority of reporting to the owner.
But Haslam explained that there won't be any friction with both the HC and GM reporting to him (unlike before) BECAUSE THE NEW HC AND GM WILL BE BEST BUDS AND THEY'LL HAVE SLEEP OVERS AND MAKE SMORES!
But Haslam explained that there won't be any friction with both the HC and GM reporting to him (unlike before) BECAUSE THE NEW HC AND GM WILL BE BEST BUDS AND THEY'LL HAVE SLEEP OVERS AND MAKE SMORES!
Don't forget about DePodesta...he will tell scary stories, like when Hue went 1-31!
-
I get your point but- IIRC the number of coaches who have won Super Bowls with different teams is zero.
Technically correct, but Shula did win championships with 2 different franchises.
But there really is no science to this. From that statement, it would be better to have someone who didn't win one or never made it.
Or take it a step further, look at last 20 years (a lot of older coaches wouldn't be in league anymore).
Belichick: not happening
Pederson: not happening
Kubiak: Possible?
Carroll: Not happening
Harbaugh: Not happening
Coughlin: retired
McCarthy: The issue here
Payton: Not happening
Tomlin: Not happening
Dungy: retired
Cowher: retired
Gruden: Not happening or would want
Billick: retired
Vermeil: retired
I would guess that everyone would want: Belichick, Pederson, Carroll, Harbaugh, Payton, Tomlin.
They would ALL go against that trend referenced. So I don't think that should be a good reason to be against MM.
Technically correct, but Shula did win championships with 2 different franchises.
But there really is no science to this. From that statement, it would be better to have someone who didn't win one or never made it.
Or take it a step further, look at last 20 years (a lot of older coaches wouldn't be in league anymore).
Belichick: not happening
Pederson: not happening
Kubiak: Possible?
Carroll: Not happening
Harbaugh: Not happening
Coughlin: retired
McCarthy: The issue here
Payton: Not happening
Tomlin: Not happening
Dungy: retired
Cowher: retired
Gruden: Not happening or would want
Billick: retired
Vermeil: retired
I would guess that everyone would want: Belichick, Pederson, Carroll, Harbaugh, Payton, Tomlin.
They would ALL go against that trend referenced. So I don't think that should be a good reason to be against MM.
Gunz, it's out of our hands. Whatever happens, happens. If the Browns pick McCarthy, McDaniels, someone we never heard of, or the homeless guy- so be it.
I'm for sure not going to be whoopee enthused regardless who the choice is. We've gotten burned too many times already.
-
I wasn't going to respond but I had to. This is why the Browns can't have nice things, judging a guy for stuff that happened with some other team. Two totally different scenarios, two totally different teams, people learn from their mistakes and grow. This is why I get so frustrated with the Browns fanbase, you're not willing to trust a guy like McCarthy with the proven track record he has but would be all for bringing in another promising coordinator because that has worked out so well for the Browns. Whether you like it or not, he IS the best candidate AVAILABLE. I don't want some college coach, or some coordinator from some successful team, I want a guy who knows how to run a team.
Fuck, this franchise and fanbase is the very definition of insanity and it makes it hard to be a fan. As long as the Browns continue this same process they will be stuck in eternal purgatory. No thanks on that and I will be taking a break until they get a real coaching staff which will probably be never as long as Jimmy Haslam owns the team.
I get your point but- IIRC the number of coaches who have won Super Bowls with different teams is zero.
-
I get your point but- IIRC the number of coaches who have won Super Bowls with different teams is zero.
Technically correct, but Shula did win championships with 2 different franchises.
But there really is no science to this. From that statement, it would be better to have someone who didn't win one or never made it.
Or take it a step further, look at last 20 years (a lot of older coaches wouldn't be in league anymore).
Belichick: not happening
Pederson: not happening
Kubiak: Possible?
Carroll: Not happening
Harbaugh: Not happening
Coughlin: retired
McCarthy: The issue here
Payton: Not happening
Tomlin: Not happening
Dungy: retired
Cowher: retired
Gruden: Not happening or would want
Billick: retired
Vermeil: retired
I would guess that everyone would want: Belichick, Pederson, Carroll, Harbaugh, Payton, Tomlin.
They would ALL go against that trend referenced. So I don't think that should be a good reason to be against MM.
Technically correct, but Shula did win championships with 2 different franchises.
Actually, no. He only won with Miami. He was in NFC title game, vs. Browns in 1964 and lost, and he lost SBIII in 1968. Never won ultimate title with the Colts.
The ONLY coach to ever win championships with 2 different franchises has been Weeb Ewbank. A few others were in position: Parcells, Holmgren, Vermeil, John Fox maybe a couple more. They didn't get it done.
And the only QBs to win titles with 2 different teams: Tobin Rote and Peyton Manning.
But there really is no science to this. From that statement, it would be better to have someone who didn't win one or never made it.
Or take it a step further, look at last 20 years (a lot of older coaches wouldn't be in league anymore).
Belichick: not happening
Pederson: not happening
Kubiak: Possible?
Carroll: Not happening
Harbaugh: Not happening
Coughlin: retired
McCarthy: The issue here
Payton: Not happening
Tomlin: Not happening
Dungy: retired
Cowher: retired
Gruden: Not happening or would want
Billick: retired
Vermeil: retired
I would guess that everyone would want: Belichick, Pederson, Carroll, Harbaugh, Payton, Tomlin.
They would ALL go against that trend referenced. So I don't think that should be a good reason to be against MM.
Could a Dungy or Cowher ever be lured out of the TV booth after many years, ala Gruden? Not likely, but you never know. (and it would not be done by Jimmy Haslam)
-
Not sure why people are so dead set against MM. God forbid we get an experienced and successful coach. He's won a SB, coached 2 great QB'S, and he's looking to prove he's still a top coach.
Beggars can't be choosers. Let's at least get a coach who can put together a string of at least one winning season in a row.
-
Technically correct, but Shula did win championships with 2 different franchises.
Actually, no. He only won with Miami. He was in NFC title game, vs. Browns in 1964 and lost, and he lost SBIII in 1968. Never won ultimate title with the Colts.
The ONLY coach to ever win championships with 2 different franchises has been Weeb Ewbank. A few others were in position: Parcells, Holmgren, Vermeil, John Fox maybe a couple more. They didn't get it done.
And the only QBs to win titles with 2 different teams: Tobin Rote and Peyton Manning.
But there really is no science to this. From that statement, it would be better to have someone who didn't win one or never made it.
Or take it a step further, look at last 20 years (a lot of older coaches wouldn't be in league anymore).
Belichick: not happening
Pederson: not happening
Kubiak: Possible?
Carroll: Not happening
Harbaugh: Not happening
Coughlin: retired
McCarthy: The issue here
Payton: Not happening
Tomlin: Not happening
Dungy: retired
Cowher: retired
Gruden: Not happening or would want
Billick: retired
Vermeil: retired
I would guess that everyone would want: Belichick, Pederson, Carroll, Harbaugh, Payton, Tomlin.
They would ALL go against that trend referenced. So I don't think that should be a good reason to be against MM.
Could a Dungy or Cowher ever be lured out of the TV booth after many years, ala Gruden? Not likely, but you never know. (and it would not be done by Jimmy Haslam)
Could a Dungy or Cowher ever be lured out of the TV booth after many years, ala Gruden? Not likely, but you never know. (and it would not be done by Jimmy Haslam)
According to Wikipedia, Don Shula won the 1968 NFL championship with the Colts, and 72 and 73 seasons were Super Bowls (technically 73 and 74 SB champion).
As for you responding, I NEVER claimed he won SUPER BOWLS with 2 teams. It was never stated he won an "ultimate title", but since this was pre merger, he did win a championship of the NFL in 68
-
Not sure why people are so dead set against MM. God forbid we get an experienced and successful coach. He's won a SB, coached 2 great QB'S, and he's looking to prove he's still a top coach.
Beggars can't be choosers. Let's at least get a coach who can put together a string of at least one winning season in a row.
Not sure why people are so dead set against MM. God forbid we get an experienced and successful coach. He's won a SB, coached 2 great QB'S, and he's looking to prove he's still a top coach.
Beggars can't be choosers. Let's at least get a coach who can put together a string of at least one winning season in a row.
I am not dead set against anyone.......except the guy that comes in and proves he can't handle the job. So, I am dead set against Freddie Kitchens, Hue Jackson, Pat Shurmur, Romeo Crennell...and maybe a few others.
To my knowledge none of them are being interviewed, thank goodness.
And, you know, to be honest...I am not even dead set against Mike Pettine, Eric Mangini, Butch Davis. They could, perhaps have been better coaches with better support.
Maybe we should make a list of: Which GMs would we be dead set against?
-
Could a Dungy or Cowher ever be lured out of the TV booth after many years, ala Gruden? Not likely, but you never know. (and it would not be done by Jimmy Haslam)
According to Wikipedia, Don Shula won the 1968 NFL championship with the Colts, and 72 and 73 seasons were Super Bowls (technically 73 and 74 SB champion).
As for you responding, I NEVER claimed he won SUPER BOWLS with 2 teams. It was never stated he won an "ultimate title", but since this was pre merger, he did win a championship of the NFL in 68
According to Wikipedia, Don Shula won the 1968 NFL championship with the Colts, and 72 and 73 seasons were Super Bowls (technically 73 and 74 SB champion).
As for you responding, I NEVER claimed he won SUPER BOWLS with 2 teams. It was never stated he won an "ultimate title", but since this was pre merger, he did win a championship of the NFL in 68
Well.....OK, so in your view, every coach that has won a Conference Championship game...which the NFL championship was tantamount those years from 66 to 69, but lost the Super Bowl has still "won a championship"?
-
No denying he had success in GB.
Also no denying that he failed miserably his final two seasons there, grew to be at odds with his star QB and finally lost the team.
I'm a firm pass...
I wasn't going to respond but I had to. This is why the Browns can't have nice things, judging a guy for stuff that happened with some other team. Two totally different scenarios, two totally different teams, people learn from their mistakes and grow. This is why I get so frustrated with the Browns fanbase, you're not willing to trust a guy like McCarthy with the proven track record he has but would be all for bringing in another promising coordinator because that has worked out so well for the Browns. Whether you like it or not, he IS the best candidate AVAILABLE. I don't want some college coach, or some coordinator from some successful team, I want a guy who knows how to run a team.
Fuck, this franchise and fanbase is the very definition of insanity and it makes it hard to be a fan. As long as the Browns continue this same process they will be stuck in eternal purgatory. No thanks on that and I will be taking a break until they get a real coaching staff which will probably be never as long as Jimmy Haslam owns the team.
Whether you like it or not, he IS the best candidate AVAILABLE.
You can state your opinion as fact all day long, but that does not mean that I have to agree.
So you would have passed on Andy Reid too.
Good question and I honestly don't have an answer. I don't recall having strong feelings either way and a search shows I did not. http://thebrownsboard.com/search/?&q=reid&type=forums_topic&page=2&author=Tour2ma&nodes=2&search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy
Whle I thought Andy would be our next HC after Shumur and Holngren were sent packing, but I never was sure how I felt about that possibility.
Why neutral on Andy, but not Mike? Best I can offer is memories of their pressers where Andy always came across as a confident human and McCarthy consistently came across as a prick.
-
Whether you like it or not, he IS the best candidate AVAILABLE.
You can state your opinion as fact all day long, but that does not mean that I have to agree.
So you would have passed on Andy Reid too.
Good question and I honestly don't have an answer. I don't recall having strong feelings either way and a search shows I did not. http://thebrownsboard.com/search/?&q=reid&type=forums_topic&page=2&author=Tour2ma&nodes=2&search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy
Whle I thought Andy would be our next HC after Shumur and Holngren were sent packing, but I never was sure how I felt about that possibility.
Why neutral on Andy, but not Mike? Best I can offer is memories of their pressers where Andy always came across as a confident human and McCarthy consistently came across as a prick.
You can state your opinion as fact all day long, but that does not mean that I have to agree.
It is a fact and you don't have to agree, that's the beauty of being an American. McCarthy may not be my first option, but he IS the best available candidate and somebody I would trust for the next five years to right the ship. I just find it amusing that there are some Browns fans out there that still won't give the man a chance even though he probably has more wins and less losses than all our previous coaches since 1999 combined. I am going to go out on a limb and say McCarthy can't be much worse than Hue Jackson or Freddie Kitchens.
-
You can state your opinion as fact all day long, but that does not mean that I have to agree.
It is a fact and you don't have to agree, that's the beauty of being an American. McCarthy may not be my first option, but he IS the best available candidate and somebody I would trust for the next five years to right the ship. I just find it amusing that there are some Browns fans out there that still won't give the man a chance even though he probably has more wins and less losses than all our previous coaches since 1999 combined. I am going to go out on a limb and say McCarthy can't be much worse than Hue Jackson or Freddie Kitchens.
It is a fact and you don't have to agree...
Facts are indisputable and therefore not subject to agreement... worldwide. Whereas your opinion... not so much.
For an example in addition to the above...
... somebody I would trust for the next five years...
Pure opinion... as is my disagreement.
-
It is a fact and you don't have to agree...
Facts are indisputable and therefore not subject to agreement... worldwide. Whereas your opinion... not so much.
For an example in addition to the above...
... somebody I would trust for the next five years...
Pure opinion... as is my disagreement.
Facts are indisputable and therefore not subject to agreement... worldwide. Whereas your opinion... not so much.
For an example in addition to the above...
Pure opinion... as is my disagreement.
Just like Neo is exactly like Nero except for the extra r ....... which is my pure opinion.....I think.

-
The life of a HC You either retire or You get fired.
On one hand MM made it 13 years. On the other hand he had Rodgers running the offense.
Eric B is another interesting interview option. On one hand he’s directed a great offense on the other hand his guys aren’t coming with him. The plus is his unknown potential. The negative his unknown potential.
the Browns over the years seem to be more intrigued by unknown potential of these peaking coordinators.
Im opinion less this go around. Well not totally I don’t want Josh McDaniel and to a lesser extent I don’t want Urban. Anyone else I won’t be disappointed.
-
Not sure why people are so dead set against MM. God forbid we get an experienced and successful coach. He's won a SB, coached 2 great QB'S, and he's looking to prove he's still a top coach.
Beggars can't be choosers. Let's at least get a coach who can put together a string of at least one winning season in a row.
I am not dead set against anyone.......except the guy that comes in and proves he can't handle the job. So, I am dead set against Freddie Kitchens, Hue Jackson, Pat Shurmur, Romeo Crennell...and maybe a few others.
To my knowledge none of them are being interviewed, thank goodness.
And, you know, to be honest...I am not even dead set against Mike Pettine, Eric Mangini, Butch Davis. They could, perhaps have been better coaches with better support.
Maybe we should make a list of: Which GMs would we be dead set against?
I am not dead set against anyone.......except the guy that comes in and proves he can't handle the job. So, I am dead set against Freddie Kitchens, Hue Jackson, Pat Shurmur, Romeo Crennell...and maybe a few others.
To my knowledge none of them are being interviewed, thank goodness.
And, you know, to be honest...I am not even dead set against Mike Pettine, Eric Mangini, Butch Davis. They could, perhaps have been better coaches with better support.
Maybe we should make a list of: Which GMs would we be dead set against?
The GM selection will be interesting.
Who wants it should be asked?
the HC is Already selected and the GM reports AGAINST the HC when the surefire trouble starts. Points to someone new with few options .
-
Wasn't there some sort of statement supposedly coming today at 2?
-
The life of a HC You either retire or You get fired.
On one hand MM made it 13 years. On the other hand he had Rodgers running the offense.
Eric B is another interesting interview option. On one hand he’s directed a great offense on the other hand his guys aren’t coming with him. The plus is his unknown potential. The negative his unknown potential.
the Browns over the years seem to be more intrigued by unknown potential of these peaking coordinators.
Im opinion less this go around. Well not totally I don’t want Josh McDaniel and to a lesser extent I don’t want Urban. Anyone else I won’t be disappointed.
The life of a HC You either retire or You get fired.
I think all coaches know this going in especially lately but one of my all time favorites in saying that and other things was the old Oilers coach Bum Phillips.
- There's two kinds of coaches, them that's fired and them that's gonna be fired.
- You don't know a ladder has splinters until you slide down it.
- Dallas Cowboys may be America's team, but the Houston Oilers are Texas' team.
- Rogers sees daylight. Campbell makes daylight.
-
According to Wikipedia, Don Shula won the 1968 NFL championship with the Colts, and 72 and 73 seasons were Super Bowls (technically 73 and 74 SB champion).
As for you responding, I NEVER claimed he won SUPER BOWLS with 2 teams. It was never stated he won an "ultimate title", but since this was pre merger, he did win a championship of the NFL in 68
Well.....OK, so in your view, every coach that has won a Conference Championship game...which the NFL championship was tantamount those years from 66 to 69, but lost the Super Bowl has still "won a championship"?
Well.....OK, so in your view, every coach that has won a Conference Championship game...which the NFL championship was tantamount those years from 66 to 69, but lost the Super Bowl has still "won a championship"?
Nope, not all all. Semantics my friend. In hindsight sure its like a conference championship, but since they were 2 separate leagues at the time they were champions.
It's the same argument that many (including you) have used to count the number of championships the Browns have in comparison to others.
Again, if I had used the words: World champion, ultimate champion, SB champion, etc then I would be wrong.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
