Skip to content

Don't Bet Against Quinn

The Browns Board
77 17 4.4k
  • @lumbergh said:

    not exactly.

    Schuening never played with DA.

    DeVan started 2 games as a freshman while DA was in school.

    Anderson played Arizona 3 times and them by the scores of 38-3, 52-23, and 28-14 while he was in school. Hence AZ Clown chimes in with the Anti-DA talk on here.

    Actually, I think Schuening did play with DA, but he was a true freshman. I hate to have to look up once again the juniors and seniors who later got NFL contracts or strong interest that Brady played behind, done it before.

    Erickson had a habit of rarely recruiting big true offensive linemen. Most of his guys were either smaller athletic O linemen or highschool D linemen who made the switch to the O side once they got to OSU. I remember talk on the boards that Riley was amazed at the lack of depth on the line when he got here.

    LumberghL Lumbergh wrote on last edited by
    #40

    @drunkandstoopid said:

    Actually, I think Schuening did play with DA, but he was a true freshman.

    Schuening redshirted that year. They weren't ever in a game together.

  • @lumbergh said:

    not exactly.

    Schuening never played with DA.

    DeVan started 2 games as a freshman while DA was in school.

    Anderson played Arizona 3 times and them by the scores of 38-3, 52-23, and 28-14 while he was in school. Hence AZ Clown chimes in with the Anti-DA talk on here.

    Actually, I think Schuening did play with DA, but he was a true freshman. I hate to have to look up once again the juniors and seniors who later got NFL contracts or strong interest that Brady played behind, done it before.

    Erickson had a habit of rarely recruiting big true offensive linemen. Most of his guys were either smaller athletic O linemen or highschool D linemen who made the switch to the O side once they got to OSU. I remember talk on the boards that Riley was amazed at the lack of depth on the line when he got here.

    LumberghL Lumbergh wrote on last edited by Lumbergh
    #41

    @drunkandstoopid said:

    I hate to have to look up once again the juniors and seniors who later got NFL contracts or strong interest that Brady played behind, done it before.

    Quinn played with all these guys. He also played with guys like Ryan Grant of the Packers who wasn't drafted and also Jeff "the man responsible for Brady Quinn's career" Samardzija

    2008 2 38 SEA John Carlson TE

    2008 2 47 PHI Trevor Laws DT

    2008 3 86 BAL Tom Zbikowski DB

    2008 6 187 MIN John Sullivan C

    2007 2 57 PHI Victor Abiamiri DE

    2007 3 70 DEN Ryan Harris T

    2007 5 166 JAX Derek Landri DT

    2007 6 202 NWE Mike Richardson DB

    2007 7 230 CIN Dan Santucci G

    2007 7 253 CIN Nedu Ndukwe DB

    2006 2 53 DAL Anthony Fasano TE

    2006 3 90 TAM Maurice Stovall WR

    2006 6 205 NWE Dan Stevenson G

    2005 3 74 NYG Justin Tuck DE

    2005 5 144 STL Jerome Collins TE

    2004 2 43 DAL Julius Jones RB

    2004 2 60 NOR Courtney Watson LB

    2004 4 122 HOU Glenn Earl DB

    2004 6 170 HOU Vontez Duff DB

    2004 6 180 WAS Jim Molinaro T

  • ? mz. wrote on last edited by
    #42

    Zombo said:

    They want bullets through the wind on a out pattern. And Manning delivers them again and again.

    In a dome.

    Just sayin'.

    I have no idea who has the better arm, but if Quinn even comes close to being the QB Manning is, well, you know...

  • Zombo said:

    They want bullets through the wind on a out pattern. And Manning delivers them again and again.

    In a dome.

    Just sayin'.

    I have no idea who has the better arm, but if Quinn even comes close to being the QB Manning is, well, you know...

    LumberghL Lumbergh wrote on last edited by
    #43

    mz. said:

    I have no idea who has the better arm, but if Quinn even comes close to being the QB Manning is, well, you know...

    I have an idea. His initials are P and M.

    Now for the good news: Peyton had a 46.8 QB rating in CLE last year.

    That's almost as bad as Quinn.

  • mz. said:

    I have no idea who has the better arm, but if Quinn even comes close to being the QB Manning is, well, you know...

    I have an idea. His initials are P and M.

    Now for the good news: Peyton had a 46.8 QB rating in CLE last year.

    That's almost as bad as Quinn.

    ? mz. wrote on last edited by
    #44

    @lumbergh said:

    That's almost as bad as Quinn.

    Well, to be fair, the only names that come up in comparison with DA are Rex Grossman types.

    Sorry.

  • @azbrowns said:

    LOL, really?

    During his OSU career, DA had guys like Adam Koets, Kyle DeVann and Roy Schuening on the line... they are either in the NFL now or were at some point.

    not exactly.

    Schuening never played with DA.

    DeVan started 2 games as a freshman while DA was in school.

    Anderson played Arizona 3 times and them by the scores of 38-3, 52-23, and 28-14 while he was in school. Hence AZ Clown chimes in with the Anti-DA talk on here.

    A AZBrowns wrote on last edited by
    #45

    @lumbergh said:

    not exactly.

    Schuening never played with DA.

    DeVan started 2 games as a freshman while DA was in school.

    Anderson played Arizona 3 times and them by the scores of 38-3, 52-23, and 28-14 while he was in school. Hence AZ Clown chimes in with the Anti-DA talk on here.

    What do the Arizona / Oregon State matchups have anyhing to do with this? N-O-T-H-I-N-G

    Also, Schuening debuted in 2004 for Oregon State (2003 he was a redshirt), which was Anderson's last year. You should probably learn more about your own team before responding.

    http://oregonstate.scout.com/a.z?s=182&amp...242306&pg=1

    P.S - Arizona still leads the all-time series vs. OSU 20-11-1, so if you want to take cheap shots, give it another 10-20 years so you have a chance to catch up. OSU has dominated Arizona this past decade and still isn't within striking distance of evening that record up. Now the Wildcats aren't the ass end of the Pac-10 anymore so i dont see that happening any time soon

  • @drunkandstoopid said:

    Not may college QBs outside of QBs from USC or Ohio State can say they played behind 2 or 3 linemen who were on NFL rosters later.

    Quinn was surrounded by a bunch of 'em, DA wasn't.

    WTF? So you're telling me Ohio State and USC have about 96 NFL lineman in the NFL today?

    And the last statement - a bunch of them? Who are these mysterious lineman you think provided Quinn all this time to throw? Name them. And while you're at it, name me the starting WR and RB that played with him that are tearing up the NFL.

    DrunkandstoopidD Drunkandstoopid wrote on last edited by Drunkandstoopid
    #46

    @vegasdogg said:

    WTF? So you're telling me Ohio State and USC have about 96 NFL lineman in the NFL today?

    And the last statement - a bunch of them? Who are these mysterious lineman you think provided Quinn all this time to throw? Name them. And while you're at it, name me the starting WR and RB that played with him that are tearing up the NFL.

    There are a very few teams, USC and Ohio State being among the most notable, that seem to send linemen to the NFL on a regular basis. I think you might be able to add LSU, maybe Michigan and a couple others (maybe even Notre Dame)

    DA Played behind Adam Koets for a couple years, apparently also played behind a freshman (any time you are starting freshmen on the line, you've gotta wonder about depth) in Roy Scheuning. Go with Hass for a year as a primary receiver and a few years of Tim Euhus and that's about it for NFL sniffs out of OSU. Quinn played behind John Sullivan, Dan Stevenson, Ryan Harris and Dan Santucci, all of which were drafted, for a couple years or more each, also had tight ends Carson, Fasono and Collins drafted, and had an all-american receiver go baseball... And I'm not even going to bother looking up the free agent signings, gotta go to work in a few minutes. And... Darius Walker wasn't exactly a slouch for a running back.

  • @lumbergh said:

    not exactly.

    Schuening never played with DA.

    DeVan started 2 games as a freshman while DA was in school.

    Anderson played Arizona 3 times and them by the scores of 38-3, 52-23, and 28-14 while he was in school. Hence AZ Clown chimes in with the Anti-DA talk on here.

    What do the Arizona / Oregon State matchups have anyhing to do with this? N-O-T-H-I-N-G

    Also, Schuening debuted in 2004 for Oregon State (2003 he was a redshirt), which was Anderson's last year. You should probably learn more about your own team before responding.

    http://oregonstate.scout.com/a.z?s=182&amp...242306&pg=1

    P.S - Arizona still leads the all-time series vs. OSU 20-11-1, so if you want to take cheap shots, give it another 10-20 years so you have a chance to catch up. OSU has dominated Arizona this past decade and still isn't within striking distance of evening that record up. Now the Wildcats aren't the ass end of the Pac-10 anymore so i dont see that happening any time soon

    LumberghL Lumbergh wrote on last edited by
    #47

    @azbrowns said:

    What do the Arizona / Oregon State matchups have anyhing to do with this?

    as I explained clearly, it has to do with your motivation RE: Anti DA

    And you're right about Schuening. I was off a yr. Nice googling.

  • @azbrowns said:

    What do the Arizona / Oregon State matchups have anyhing to do with this?

    as I explained clearly, it has to do with your motivation RE: Anti DA

    And you're right about Schuening. I was off a yr. Nice googling.

    A AZBrowns wrote on last edited by
    #48

    @lumbergh said:

    as I explained clearly, it has to do with your motivation RE: Anti DA

    And you're right about Schuening. I was off a yr. Nice googling.

    My motivation is to point out the idiocy and hypocrisy you bring to this board. You never respond to people who prove you wrong, and you selectively pick your arguments because you know if you respond to what most people say to you, you would look like a moron.

    Yes, I google. It's called being resourceful, something that you aren’t (i.e. making statements like Schuening not playing with DA, and DA making the elite 11 twice, and DA being a five star recruit even though star ratings were not given out then, are just a couple of items of evidence I'll submit to prove my theory)

    I would actually like to see the starting QB succeed whether it's Anderson or Quinn. You on the other hand, want Anderson to succeed and don't care about the rest of the team.

    You're a hack.

  • @drunkandstoopid said:

    I hate to have to look up once again the juniors and seniors who later got NFL contracts or strong interest that Brady played behind, done it before.

    Quinn played with all these guys. He also played with guys like Ryan Grant of the Packers who wasn't drafted and also Jeff "the man responsible for Brady Quinn's career" Samardzija

    2008 2 38 SEA John Carlson TE

    2008 2 47 PHI Trevor Laws DT

    2008 3 86 BAL Tom Zbikowski DB

    2008 6 187 MIN John Sullivan C

    2007 2 57 PHI Victor Abiamiri DE

    2007 3 70 DEN Ryan Harris T

    2007 5 166 JAX Derek Landri DT

    2007 6 202 NWE Mike Richardson DB

    2007 7 230 CIN Dan Santucci G

    2007 7 253 CIN Nedu Ndukwe DB

    2006 2 53 DAL Anthony Fasano TE

    2006 3 90 TAM Maurice Stovall WR

    2006 6 205 NWE Dan Stevenson G

    2005 3 74 NYG Justin Tuck DE

    2005 5 144 STL Jerome Collins TE

    2004 2 43 DAL Julius Jones RB

    2004 2 60 NOR Courtney Watson LB

    2004 4 122 HOU Glenn Earl DB

    2004 6 170 HOU Vontez Duff DB

    2004 6 180 WAS Jim Molinaro T

    Legacy FanL Legacy Fan wrote on last edited by
    #49

    Well, this is what I get for reading before signing in....

    @lumbergh said:

    Quinn played with all these guys. He also played with guys like Ryan Grant of the Packers who wasn't drafted and also Jeff "the man responsible for Brady Quinn's career" Samardzija

    2008 2 38 SEA John Carlson TE

    2008 2 47 PHI Trevor Laws DT

    2008 3 86 BAL Tom Zbikowski DB

    2008 6 187 MIN John Sullivan C

    2007 2 57 PHI Victor Abiamiri DE

    2007 3 70 DEN Ryan Harris T

    2007 5 166 JAX Derek Landri DT

    2007 6 202 NWE Mike Richardson DB

    2007 7 230 CIN Dan Santucci G

    2007 7 253 CIN Nedu Ndukwe DB

    2006 2 53 DAL Anthony Fasano TE

    2006 3 90 TAM Maurice Stovall WR

    2006 6 205 NWE Dan Stevenson G

    2005 3 74 NYG Justin Tuck DE

    2005 5 144 STL Jerome Collins TE

    2004 2 43 DAL Julius Jones RB

    2004 2 60 NOR Courtney Watson LB

    2004 4 122 HOU Glenn Earl DB

    2004 6 170 HOU Vontez Duff DB

    2004 6 180 WAS Jim Molinaro T

    Outside of Justin Tuck, the only name on that list making any kind of highlight reel would be Chinedum Ndukwe (Brady's roommate all 4 years) - but that's only thanks to your boyfriend's performance in the game that cost us our playoff spot.

  • Legacy FanL Legacy Fan wrote on last edited by
    #50

    @shepwrite said:

    Which side of the argument was that list supporting?

    I do know it's a list of NFL total non-entities, right?

    Ha!

    Exactly.

    re:

    Jeff "the man responsible for Brady Quinn's career" Samardzija
    What week do the Browns play the Cubbies this season? 🙄
  • LumberghL Lumbergh wrote on last edited by Lumbergh
    #51

    @shepwrite said:

    Which side of the argument was that list supporting?

    I do know it's a list of NFL total non-entities, right?

    a) that Quinn's team was loaded (fyi, BQ homers such as shepwrite say he only lost all those games since he had no supporting cast)

    b ) we're talking college here bubba. And getting drafted is a good indication of a college bad ass.

  • LumberghL Lumbergh wrote on last edited by
    #52

    @shepwrite said:

    but we can't compare pro careers because Quinn's hasn't begun.

    we can compare the first two years of their careers:

    Manning: 50 touchdowns

    Quinn: BENCH

  • ? Aloysius wrote on last edited by
    #53

    @shepwrite said:

    I do know it's a list of NFL total non-entities, right?

    I disagree. Just look at the last two draft classes:

    2008: John Carlson had 55 catches as a rookie. Trevor Laws was stuck behind a bunch of veterans last year, but he's certainly a talented player (he dominated at the Senior Bowl). John Sullivan will be starting for the Vikings this year.

    2007: Abiamiri would have started for the Iggles last year had he not gotten hurt during camp. Ryan Harris has turned into a very good right tackle (only allowed 2.5 sacks last year). It looks like Ndukwe's going to be a backup this year, but he's a decent player.

    Not sure why any of this matters much, but we don't have to trash young players for not contributing. That's Lum's job re: Quinn.

  • A AZBrowns wrote on last edited by
    #54

    Zombo said:

    Haven't even read the article yet, just responding to Shep's comparison of Quinn's arm and intelligence to Manning's.

    You know maybe all the things Shep says about Quinn will come true, maybe not. But I heard him say the exact same things about Joey Harrington.

    So far in the NFL Brady Quinn has won one game, has thrown two TDs, has a passer rating of 65 and got punched by a teammate.

    It's not playing out like the Peyton Manning story.

    I have great hope for Quinn as well.

    But can we wait until he effing does something at this level before we gush?

    Go out and win 11 games, throw for 4,000 yards and 30 TDs and I'll gush like a motherphucker.

    Zombo

    So, why won't you jump on Lumbergh when he gushes something about Derek Anderson that's completely off-base? I think that's what some have a beef with.

    Not trying to jump on you Zombo, but that's the kind of impression I get. That you go back and forthwith Shep for his Quinn-love, but ignore Lumbergh for his DA-love. Why is that?

  • @shepwrite said:

    I do know it's a list of NFL total non-entities, right?

    I disagree. Just look at the last two draft classes:

    2008: John Carlson had 55 catches as a rookie. Trevor Laws was stuck behind a bunch of veterans last year, but he's certainly a talented player (he dominated at the Senior Bowl). John Sullivan will be starting for the Vikings this year.

    2007: Abiamiri would have started for the Iggles last year had he not gotten hurt during camp. Ryan Harris has turned into a very good right tackle (only allowed 2.5 sacks last year). It looks like Ndukwe's going to be a backup this year, but he's a decent player.

    Not sure why any of this matters much, but we don't have to trash young players for not contributing. That's Lum's job re: Quinn.

    Legacy FanL Legacy Fan wrote on last edited by
    #55

    Aloysius said:

    I disagree. Just look at the last two draft classes:

    2008: John Carlson had 55 catches as a rookie. Trevor Laws was stuck behind a bunch of veterans last year, but he's certainly a talented player (he dominated at the Senior Bowl). John Sullivan will be starting for the Vikings this year.

    2007: Abiamiri would have started for the Iggles last year had he not gotten hurt. Ryan Harris has turned into a very good right tackle. It looks like Ndukwe's going to be a backup this year, but he's a decent player.

    Not sure why any of this matters much, but we don't have to trash young players for not contributing. That's Lum's job re: Quinn.

    I know, I know. That's why I put him on ignore to begin with, I cant' resist.

    I think I suggested picking up Laws for a DE if he was available round 4ish way back when.

    Quinn played with Carlson for 1 season (and Carlson is going to be a solid TE, imo) because he was sitting behind Anthony Fasano (who is now Jason Witten's towel boy) both good TE's at ND and good weapons for Quinn. Carlson often created Winslow-esque mismatches because of his size, speed & hands.

    As much as it pains me to say it, Zibby will probably be a good safety for the Ratheap.

    As one of the Domer's on the board I've long maintained that with a half-step more, Darius Walker would have been Barry Sanders.

    And yes, Samardzija was a pigskin magnet when the Irish needed a big play (except during the fiesta bowl against tOSU. The coverage on him looked like the prison shower scene from American History X).

  • A AZBrowns wrote on last edited by
    #56

    Zombo said:

    Shep is a much more formidable opponent. No one really challenges him sometimes, so I pick up the mantle.

    Lumbergh bores me (other than a good one-line zinger every now and then) and has plenty of opposition, you guys don't need me to battle Lumbergh.

    But someone has to keep Shep in check or he'll have Brady in the Hall before he wins his second game.

    Zombo

    Fair enough answer for me....

  • Aloysius said:

    I disagree. Just look at the last two draft classes:

    2008: John Carlson had 55 catches as a rookie. Trevor Laws was stuck behind a bunch of veterans last year, but he's certainly a talented player (he dominated at the Senior Bowl). John Sullivan will be starting for the Vikings this year.

    2007: Abiamiri would have started for the Iggles last year had he not gotten hurt. Ryan Harris has turned into a very good right tackle. It looks like Ndukwe's going to be a backup this year, but he's a decent player.

    Not sure why any of this matters much, but we don't have to trash young players for not contributing. That's Lum's job re: Quinn.

    I know, I know. That's why I put him on ignore to begin with, I cant' resist.

    I think I suggested picking up Laws for a DE if he was available round 4ish way back when.

    Quinn played with Carlson for 1 season (and Carlson is going to be a solid TE, imo) because he was sitting behind Anthony Fasano (who is now Jason Witten's towel boy) both good TE's at ND and good weapons for Quinn. Carlson often created Winslow-esque mismatches because of his size, speed & hands.

    As much as it pains me to say it, Zibby will probably be a good safety for the Ratheap.

    As one of the Domer's on the board I've long maintained that with a half-step more, Darius Walker would have been Barry Sanders.

    And yes, Samardzija was a pigskin magnet when the Irish needed a big play (except during the fiesta bowl against tOSU. The coverage on him looked like the prison shower scene from American History X).

    ? Aloysius wrote on last edited by
    #57

    @legacy-fan said:

    I think I suggested picking up Laws for a DE if he was available round 4ish way back when.

    Quinn played with Carlson for 1 season (and Carlson is going to be a solid TE, imo) because he was sitting behind Anthony Fasano (who is now Jason Witten's towel boy) both good TE's at ND and good weapons for Quinn. Carlson often created Winslow-esque mismatches because of his size, speed & hands.

    As much as it pains me to say it, Zibby will probably be a good safety for the Ratheap.

    As one of the Domer's on the board I've long maintained that with a half-step more, Darius Walker would have been Barry Sanders.

    And yes, Samardzija was a pigskin magnet when the Irish needed a big play (except during the fiesta bowl against tOSU. The coverage on him looked like the prison shower scene from American History X).

    I'm pretty much with you on Walker. Still not sure why he fell out of the league; he looked pretty good as a rookie (4.6 YPC in Houston).

    Parcells ended up bringing Fasano with him to Miami, which was another one of his smart roster moves. He caught 34 passes and scored 7 TD's last year.

    And I think you're right to value what Samardzija brought to the team. I'm in the middle of a book on Weis's first year at ND; it mentions how excited Weis was to have two 6'5" wideouts to work with. Stovall may not be quick enough to separate from NFL corners, but he was a big help during Quinn's junior year (1149 yards, 11 TD's). I wonder how much losing Stovall contributed to the weaknesses some spotted (or imagined) in Quinn's game in '06.

  • Legacy FanL Legacy Fan wrote on last edited by
    #58

    Rhema Mcknight was injured Quinn's jr year, but was there for his Sr. He had Samardzija's hands but not his height - he could have been a difference maker in a couple close games (USC) and made some of the beatdowns a little closer (tOSU).

    Forgot Tuna took Fasano the fellow Jersey boy to Miami. Pat White will look to use him as an outlet quite often if he can force himself not to take off and run with it.

  • DrunkandstoopidD Drunkandstoopid wrote on last edited by
    #59

    @shepwrite said:

    Okay, Babaloo. Let's agree that you listed a bunch of decent but not great players and that Quinn carried Notre Dame his last two years.

    Phew. Finally.

    Shep, you keep trying to rationalize in some manner that Quinn carried that team even though he was surrounded by talent only a few NCAA Division one teams could match. Now you're playing the - They're not current NFL superstars - card. The all got drafted, which basically means if Notre Dame had actually been in any of the major conferences, those kids would have likely all been first or second team all-conference, maybe third team at worst. That list didn't even include all the free agent signings. Notre Dame has a history of getting major recruits, and it didn't stop suddenly around the time Quinn signed.