THIS WEEK IN NFL HISTORY - Recapping the entire football year. The shutdown of 2020 ?.
-
Why do you call it "This week in NFL history" when it is by no means "THIS Week. i.e February 9-16?
Why do you call it "This week in NFL history" when it is by no means "THIS Week. i.e February 9-16?
It's from NFL.com/history although I did start it in January in those weeks and am just finishing up the year. I enjoy NFL history and trivia.
This Date in NFL History. http://www.nfl.com/history/dateinnflhistoryGreat games. Startling accomplishments by individuals and teams. Milestone events. These are the things that keep football fans coming back for more.
NFL.com looks back at some of the greatest moments in NFL history, recapping the event and putting it into the context of its era.
-
This Date in NFL History
September 28
1951 — Los Angeles quarterback Norm Van Brocklin throws for a record 554 yards and five touchdowns to lead the Rams to a 54-14 victory over the New York Yanks.

September 29
2002 — Oakland wide receiver Jerry Rice has 151 yards from scrimmage, bringing his total to 21,281 to pass Walter Payton as the all-time leader. Rice finishes the 2002 season with 22,242 yards from scrimmage.

September 30
1973 — San Diego quarterback Johnny Unitas becomes the first player to top 40,000 yards passing when he connects with Mike Garrett on a 30-yard completion against Cincinnati.

October 1
1955 —Baltimore's Alan Ameche becomes the first rookie in league history to top 100 yards rushing in his first two games after totaling 153 yards against Detroit. He had 194 yards in his debut vs. Chicago.

October 2
1950 —Bob Shaw established an NFL record with five touchdown catches as the Chicago Cardinals defeated the Baltimore Colts 55-13. The record was tied in 1981 by Kellen Winslow and again in 1990 by Jerry Rice.

October 3
1920 —The Dayton Triangles beat the Columbus Panhandles 14-0 and the Rock Island Independents rout the Muncie Flyers 45-0 in the first ever games between NFL (then American Pro Football Association) clubs.

October 4
1992 — Miami's Louis Oliver returns an interception a record-tying 103 yards for a touchdown against Buffalo, tying the mark established by Vencie Glenn against Denver on Nov. 29, 1987.
-
It wasn’t called the Super Bowl until four or five years after it begin. And no they did not start giving them Roman numerals right away that also for five years. Super Bowl III was not called that for a couple of years later
It wasn’t called the Super Bowl until four or five years after it begin. And no they did not start giving them Roman numerals right away that also for five years. Super Bowl III was not called that for a couple of years later
I had a strong suspicion you were wrong so I looked it up.
Lamar Hunt dubbed the NFL/AFL Championship game the "Super Bowl" in '66 before the first one was even played. Although not immediately adopted by the NFL, the media ran with it. So did Pete Rozelle.
The Super Bowl became the official name in Super Bowl III...Jets/Colts.
You were only right with regards to assigning Roman numerals, which started with Super Bowl V. I'll give you credit for that.

When one team would beat another 9 out 10 times. To bad for the Colts that one time happened to be the first time, the Super Bowl.
-
It wasn’t called the Super Bowl until four or five years after it begin. And no they did not start giving them Roman numerals right away that also for five years. Super Bowl III was not called that for a couple of years later
I had a strong suspicion you were wrong so I looked it up.
Lamar Hunt dubbed the NFL/AFL Championship game the "Super Bowl" in '66 before the first one was even played. Although not immediately adopted by the NFL, the media ran with it. So did Pete Rozelle.
The Super Bowl became the official name in Super Bowl III...Jets/Colts.
You were only right with regards to assigning Roman numerals, which started with Super Bowl V. I'll give you credit for that.

When one team would beat another 9 out 10 times. To bad for the Colts that one time happened to be the first time, the Super Bowl.
I had a strong suspicion you were wrong so I looked it up.
Lamar Hunt dubbed the NFL/AFL Championship game the "Super Bowl" in '66 before the first one was even played. Although not immediately adopted by the NFL, the media ran with it. So did Pete Rozelle.
The Super Bowl became the official name in Super Bowl III...Jets/Colts.
You were only right with regards to assigning Roman numerals, which started with Super Bowl V. I'll give you credit for that.

I remember in the 60's that cool black rubber ball that bounced so high called a super ball. From what I have read the super bowl got it's name from that super ball.
https://www.history.com/news/super-bowl-owes-its-name-to-a-bouncy-ball
-
I had a strong suspicion you were wrong so I looked it up.
Lamar Hunt dubbed the NFL/AFL Championship game the "Super Bowl" in '66 before the first one was even played. Although not immediately adopted by the NFL, the media ran with it. So did Pete Rozelle.
The Super Bowl became the official name in Super Bowl III...Jets/Colts.
You were only right with regards to assigning Roman numerals, which started with Super Bowl V. I'll give you credit for that.

I remember in the 60's that cool black rubber ball that bounced so high called a super ball. From what I have read the super bowl got it's name from that super ball.
https://www.history.com/news/super-bowl-owes-its-name-to-a-bouncy-ball
I remember in the 60's that cool black rubber ball that bounced so high called a super ball. From what I have read the super bowl got it's name from that super ball.
https://www.history.com/news/super-bowl-owes-its-name-to-a-bouncy-ball
I actually remember that and I had one of those super balls.
-
I remember in the 60's that cool black rubber ball that bounced so high called a super ball. From what I have read the super bowl got it's name from that super ball.
https://www.history.com/news/super-bowl-owes-its-name-to-a-bouncy-ball
I actually remember that and I had one of those super balls.
-
It wasn’t called the Super Bowl until four or five years after it begin. And no they did not start giving them Roman numerals right away that also for five years. Super Bowl III was not called that for a couple of years later
I had a strong suspicion you were wrong so I looked it up.
Lamar Hunt dubbed the NFL/AFL Championship game the "Super Bowl" in '66 before the first one was even played. Although not immediately adopted by the NFL, the media ran with it. So did Pete Rozelle.
The Super Bowl became the official name in Super Bowl III...Jets/Colts.
You were only right with regards to assigning Roman numerals, which started with Super Bowl V. I'll give you credit for that.

When one team would beat another 9 out 10 times. To bad for the Colts that one time happened to be the first time, the Super Bowl.
I had a strong suspicion you were wrong so I looked it up.
Lamar Hunt dubbed the NFL/AFL Championship game the "Super Bowl" in '66 before the first one was even played. Although not immediately adopted by the NFL, the media ran with it. So did Pete Rozelle.
The Super Bowl became the official name in Super Bowl III...Jets/Colts.
You were only right with regards to assigning Roman numerals, which started with Super Bowl V. I'll give you credit for that.

When one team would beat another 9 out 10 times. To bad for the Colts that one time happened to be the first time, the Super Bowl.
Ok it was 3 years instead of the 4That I thought but I was right about the Roman numerals. So basically I was right just a year off on one thing. I was going by memory and you probably haven’t been born nearly that long
-
I remember in the 60's that cool black rubber ball that bounced so high called a super ball. From what I have read the super bowl got it's name from that super ball.
https://www.history.com/news/super-bowl-owes-its-name-to-a-bouncy-ball
I actually remember that and I had one of those super balls.
-
This Date in NFL History
October 5
1986 — Eric Dickerson runs for an overtime-record 42-yard touchdown as the Rams defeat the Buccaneers 26-20.

October 6
1986 — Seattle wide receiver Steve Largent catches a pass in his 128th straight game, breaking the NFL record for most consecutive games with a reception.

October 7
1984 — Chicago running back Walter Payton passes Jim Brown (12,312 yards) as the all-time rushing leader on a 6-yard run in third quarter of the Bears' 20-7 victory over New Orleans. Payton finishes the game with 154 yards, his record-setting 59th career 100-yard game.

October 8
1933 — Boston Redskins running back Cliff Battles becomes the first player to top 200 yards in a game, rushing for 215 yards in a 21-20 victory over the New York Giants.

October 9
1989 — Art Shell, the first black head coach in the modern era, leads the Oakland Raiders to a 14-7 victory over the New York Jets in his first game at the helm.

October 10
1999 — St. Louis' Isaac Bruce has four touchdown catches in a 42-20 win over San Francisco as the Rams snap a 17-game losing streak to the 49ers.

October 11
1964 — Sonny Jurgensen out-duels Norm Snead by throwing four touchdown passes against the Eagles in the first meeting of the traded quarterbacks. Washington defeats Philadelphia 35-20.
-
I watched the great Jim Brown on the STO Club 46 the other day when he was asked how he compares other players to himself which he does not do. A good one hour show. Jim Brown also set his record with 12 and 14 game seasons. 12,312 stood for almost 20 years.
October 7
1984 — Chicago running back Walter Payton passes Jim Brown (12,312 yards) as the all-time rushing leader on a 6-yard run in third quarter of the Bears' 20-7 victory over New Orleans. Payton finishes the game with 154 yards, his record-setting 59th career 100-yard game.
-
This week in the NFL October 12 - 18.
This Date in NFL History
October 12
1992 — Washington wide receiver Art Monk becomes the NFL's all-time leading receiver when he makes his 820th career reception in a 34-3 victory over the Broncos.

October 13
1985 — Tony Dorsett becomes the sixth player in NFL history to rush for 10,000 yards as the Cowboys defeat Pittsburgh 27-13 win at Texas Stadium.

October 14
1990 — Houston quarterback Warren Moon passes for 369 yards and five touchdowns as the Oilers beat Cincinnati 48-17, becoming the first person to throw for over 20,000 yards in two different leagues (Moon passed for 21,228 yards in the Canadian Football League).

October 15
2000 — St. Louis quarterback Kurt Warner completes 24 of 40 passes for 313 yards and three touchdowns, his record-tying sixth straight 300-yard game, in the Rams' 45-29 victory over Atlanta.

October 16
2005 — San Diego Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson rushes for 140 yards and a touchdown, his NFL record 18th straight game with a rushing score, surpassing the mark shared by George Rogers and John Riggins (13).

October 17
1983 — Green Bay beats Washington 48-47 in the highest scoring game in Monday night football history. The Packers and Redskins combine for over 1,000 yards of total offense.

October 18
1992 — Miami quarterback Dan Marino throws four touchdown passes in the Dolphins' 38-17 win over New England, tying Johnny Unitas's record of 17 games with four-or-more touchdown passes.
-
The football year is now complete. It is a nice recap of NFL football history and trivia.
Nice to see that NFL Films Steve Sabol is being induced into the NFL HOF in 2020. He passed away at 69 in 2012 at 69 from brain cancer, his father and NFL Films founder Ed Sabol passed away in 2015 at age 98 he was induced into the NFL HOF in 2011. Our regards to both of them.
-
And someday we can lookback to the great sports shutdown of '20 and reminisce about that. I wonder if an abbreviated NFL or NCAA season will happen this coming fall.....I guess we will just have to wait and see.
We've been through strike and lockouts in major sports but nothing quite like this.
-
And someday we can lookback to the great sports shutdown of '20 and reminisce about that. I wonder if an abbreviated NFL or NCAA season will happen this coming fall.....I guess we will just have to wait and see.
We've been through strike and lockouts in major sports but nothing quite like this.
And someday we can lookback to the great sports shutdown of '20 and reminisce about that. I wonder if an abbreviated NFL or NCAA season will happen this coming fall.....I guess we will just have to wait and see.
We've been through strike and lockouts in major sports but nothing quite like this.
I expect things to be normal by fall, so no truncated NFL or college football seasons. Obviously though the NBA and NHL seasons are to be truncated. (but hell, aren't they too long anyway?) Still think they will conduct playoffs in those (why do they care if their playoffs go into August? They still want the money, and they will be getting the time off now.
Baseball starting late. How late depends on how shortened the MLB season will be. Remember in 1995 they only played 144 games instead of 162. That was no problem.
-
I'm going to guess the Browns won't be rolling out their new uniforms at a big event like they did last time...
-
I'm going to guess the Browns won't be rolling out their new uniforms at a big event like they did last time...
I'm going to guess the Browns won't be rolling out their new uniforms at a big event like they did last time...
Oh, that's right. Are they still going to release them?
-
I'm going to guess the Browns won't be rolling out their new uniforms at a big event like they did last time...
I'm going to guess the Browns won't be rolling out their new uniforms at a big event like they did last time...
Maybe together with the masks, gloves and gowns with the orange and brown trim ?

-
-
-
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login