Skip to content

So, who would you pick as the next HC ?

The Browns Board
155 39 5.8k
  • M MDDawg wrote on last edited by

    Mod, close this thread. Opening presser's been concluded we're now in the Stefanski era for better or worse. Go Browns!

  • Mod, close this thread. Opening presser's been concluded we're now in the Stefanski era for better or worse. Go Browns!

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @mddawg said:

    Mod, close this thread. Opening presser's been concluded we're now in the Stefanski era for better or worse. Go Browns!

    Yea, pick made.  Carry on. 

  • IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by

    I nominate Lindsey Buckingham for Head Coach. Even if we suck, we can shred at guitar.

  • I nominate Lindsey Buckingham for Head Coach. Even if we suck, we can shred at guitar.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper

    @ibleedbrown said:

    I nominate Lindsey Buckingham for Head Coach. Even if we suck, we can shred at guitar.

    Big Wheel turning.

    (I agree that he is underrated in the guitar gods conversations)

  • @ibleedbrown said:

    I nominate Lindsey Buckingham for Head Coach. Even if we suck, we can shred at guitar.

    Big Wheel turning.

    (I agree that he is underrated in the guitar gods conversations)

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    Big Wheel turning.

    (I agree that he is underrated in the guitar gods conversations)

    Agreed, definitely. But since the thread hasn’t been shut down, how about rock drummers?

    Neil Peart. Man. Oh man.

    who is the best who is left?

  • IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by

    Seriously. Top 5 best living drummers ever right now. It’s tough.

    Alex Van Halen is a gimme. But who else? 

    I would offer Mullen of U2 for his body of work.

  • Seriously. Top 5 best living drummers ever right now. It’s tough.

    Alex Van Halen is a gimme. But who else? 

    I would offer Mullen of U2 for his body of work.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma

    @ibleedbrown said:

    Seriously. Top 5 best living drummers ever right now. It’s tough.

    Alex Van Halen is a gimme. But who else? 

    I would offer Mullen of U2 for his body of work.

    Living?

    Billy Cobham... started following him in his Mahavishnu Orchestra days... power, control and complete limb independence. He's my top dog.

    New kid that caught my ear a couple years ago is Josh Dun of Twenty One Pilots. Very inventive... modest kit... frantic... reminded me of Keith Moon. First time I can recall seeing a high hat hit on an upstroke.

    Neil Peart would make a lot of lists... although not necessarily mine. I was never a big fan of Rush.

  • @ibleedbrown said:

    Seriously. Top 5 best living drummers ever right now. It’s tough.

    Alex Van Halen is a gimme. But who else? 

    I would offer Mullen of U2 for his body of work.

    Living?

    Billy Cobham... started following him in his Mahavishnu Orchestra days... power, control and complete limb independence. He's my top dog.

    New kid that caught my ear a couple years ago is Josh Dun of Twenty One Pilots. Very inventive... modest kit... frantic... reminded me of Keith Moon. First time I can recall seeing a high hat hit on an upstroke.

    Neil Peart would make a lot of lists... although not necessarily mine. I was never a big fan of Rush.

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    Living?

    Billy Cobham... started following him in his Mahavishnu Orchestra days... power, control and complete limb independence. He's my top dog.

    New kid that caught my ear a couple years ago is Josh Dun of Twenty One Pilots. Very inventive... modest kit... frantic... reminded me of Keith Moon. First time I can recall seeing a high hat hit on an upstroke.

    Neil Peart would make a lot of lists... although not necessarily mine. I was never a big fan of Rush.

    Really? I’m not a big Rush fan myself, but that man could roto tom it up

    He was the last champion we had for the BIG drum kits. I admire that.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Big Wheel turning.

    (I agree that he is underrated in the guitar gods conversations)

    Agreed, definitely. But since the thread hasn’t been shut down, how about rock drummers?

    Neil Peart. Man. Oh man.

    who is the best who is left?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @ibleedbrown said:

    Agreed, definitely. But since the thread hasn’t been shut down, how about rock drummers?

    Neil Peart. Man. Oh man.

    who is the best who is left?

    Sorry, never like Rush, never paid attention to Peart.  Not saying anything bad about him.  I just didn't know anything about him.  Hated Geddy Lee's voice.

  • Seriously. Top 5 best living drummers ever right now. It’s tough.

    Alex Van Halen is a gimme. But who else? 

    I would offer Mullen of U2 for his body of work.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper

    @ibleedbrown said:

    Seriously. Top 5 best living drummers ever right now. It’s tough.

    Alex Van Halen is a gimme. But who else? 

    I would offer Mullen of U2 for his body of work.

    Keith Moon....dead .   Ginger Baker....dead.   Bonham (Sr.) dead.   

    Ringo, and Charlie Watts still at it.   Both Top 10-15 all time per Rolling Stone.   (The 3 I mention above were 1,2,3).

    Stewart Copeland...Police? 

    Alex Van Halen?  Rolling Stone only had him at #50 all time.  So, at least per their group of experts, not a gimme.  They included old timers like Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich etc.   Peart was up there high. 

  • @ibleedbrown said:

    Agreed, definitely. But since the thread hasn’t been shut down, how about rock drummers?

    Neil Peart. Man. Oh man.

    who is the best who is left?

    Sorry, never like Rush, never paid attention to Peart.  Not saying anything bad about him.  I just didn't know anything about him.  Hated Geddy Lee's voice.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta

    @the-gipper said:

    Sorry, never like Rush, never paid attention to Peart.  Not saying anything bad about him.  I just didn't know anything about him.  Hated Geddy Lee's voice.

    My wife is right with you on Geddy Lee as a singer. And Neil Peart just died of cancer, so we'll have to start mining the list for the millennial guys.... 

    But regarding Ringo and Charlie Watts- just lucky to play on the Beatles and Stones- as far as technical brilliance just not even close in my book. I'll take Mick Fleetwood over either of them...  

  • @the-gipper said:

    Sorry, never like Rush, never paid attention to Peart.  Not saying anything bad about him.  I just didn't know anything about him.  Hated Geddy Lee's voice.

    My wife is right with you on Geddy Lee as a singer. And Neil Peart just died of cancer, so we'll have to start mining the list for the millennial guys.... 

    But regarding Ringo and Charlie Watts- just lucky to play on the Beatles and Stones- as far as technical brilliance just not even close in my book. I'll take Mick Fleetwood over either of them...  

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @hoorta said:

    My wife is right with you on Geddy Lee as a singer. And Neil Peart just died of cancer, so we'll have to start mining the list for the millennial guys.... 

    But regarding Ringo and Charlie Watts- just lucky to play on the Beatles and Stones- as far as technical brilliance just not even close in my book. I'll take Mick Fleetwood over either of them...  

    Actually,  people in the music industry...including drummers  that I know and trust disagree with you...especially about Ringo.  They say he was in fact a master technician.   And see my other post....Rolling Stones experts rated both Ringo and Watts over Fleetwood.  Though, perhaps all that is somewhat subjective. I do think Fleetwood is great. 

  • I nominate Lindsey Buckingham for Head Coach. Even if we suck, we can shred at guitar.

    ATOMA ATOM wrote on last edited by

    @ibleedbrown said:

    I nominate Lindsey Buckingham for Head Coach. Even if we suck, we can shred at guitar.

    fuck that Kim Thayil is a better player but yet again denied his place in the hall of fame

    side note I last saw him play last year with Wayne Kramer for the MC50 tour another great rock n roll band snubbed by the hall of fame for the likes of deduech mode

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    MC50... lol... clever...

    I'm old....

  • MC50... lol... clever...

    I'm old....

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by Ibleedbrown

    @tour2ma said:

    MC50... lol... clever...

    I'm old....

    I believe that was what the Motor City 5 called their last tour, tour “MC 50”. MC 5 were certainly influential as all get out, but l’m not sure HOF worthy.

    And Atom, we used to call them “Depeche Commode.”

    Tommy Lee from the Crue perhaps? He certainly had some moments reinventing how drumming was done with his mechanical revolving drum kit. 

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by

    They said everybody it's generational. It really doesn't matter anymore.

    WSS

  • @hoorta said:

    My wife is right with you on Geddy Lee as a singer. And Neil Peart just died of cancer, so we'll have to start mining the list for the millennial guys.... 

    But regarding Ringo and Charlie Watts- just lucky to play on the Beatles and Stones- as far as technical brilliance just not even close in my book. I'll take Mick Fleetwood over either of them...  

    Actually,  people in the music industry...including drummers  that I know and trust disagree with you...especially about Ringo.  They say he was in fact a master technician.   And see my other post....Rolling Stones experts rated both Ringo and Watts over Fleetwood.  Though, perhaps all that is somewhat subjective. I do think Fleetwood is great. 

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    Actually,  people in the music industry...including drummers  that I know and trust disagree with you...especially about Ringo.  They say he was in fact a master technician.   And see my other post....Rolling Stones experts rated both Ringo and Watts over Fleetwood.  Though, perhaps all that is somewhat subjective. I do think Fleetwood is great. 

    I’m in the “Ringo wasn’t all that” camp. Probably the luckiest drummer ever to fall into that group, but if l understand correctly he was key to keeping the Beatles machine moving by keeping tensions down amongst Lennon and McCarthy.

    Big Fleetwood Mac fan myself. I literally think side A of Rumors (yes, l play records) is the greatest side A ever. Ever! 

    I doubt many have heard of the band Valient Thorr, a hard rocking metalish band from NC, but their first drummer named Lucien Thorr (they do that goofy thing where they adopt Thorr as their last name like the Ramones did) was among the most amazing and technical drummers l’ve ever seen. Wow he was good. 

    He kinda had that Bonham vibe where you heard the beats and rolls and such, but you weren’t terribly sure what sequence drums were being hit to produce those sounds. 

    Is Dave Brubeck’s drummer still alive?

  • @ibleedbrown said:

    Seriously. Top 5 best living drummers ever right now. It’s tough.

    Alex Van Halen is a gimme. But who else? 

    I would offer Mullen of U2 for his body of work.

    Living?

    Billy Cobham... started following him in his Mahavishnu Orchestra days... power, control and complete limb independence. He's my top dog.

    New kid that caught my ear a couple years ago is Josh Dun of Twenty One Pilots. Very inventive... modest kit... frantic... reminded me of Keith Moon. First time I can recall seeing a high hat hit on an upstroke.

    Neil Peart would make a lot of lists... although not necessarily mine. I was never a big fan of Rush.

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    Billy Cobham... started following him in his Mahavishnu Orchestra days... power, control and complete limb independence. He's my top dog.

    Good call there. I probably have some of his work as l have a fee Miles Davis albums. What proper record collector doesn’t? Some of those older jazz drummers basically reinvented the art of drumming. 4 on the floor for sure. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Actually,  people in the music industry...including drummers  that I know and trust disagree with you...especially about Ringo.  They say he was in fact a master technician.   And see my other post....Rolling Stones experts rated both Ringo and Watts over Fleetwood.  Though, perhaps all that is somewhat subjective. I do think Fleetwood is great. 

    I’m in the “Ringo wasn’t all that” camp. Probably the luckiest drummer ever to fall into that group, but if l understand correctly he was key to keeping the Beatles machine moving by keeping tensions down amongst Lennon and McCarthy.

    Big Fleetwood Mac fan myself. I literally think side A of Rumors (yes, l play records) is the greatest side A ever. Ever! 

    I doubt many have heard of the band Valient Thorr, a hard rocking metalish band from NC, but their first drummer named Lucien Thorr (they do that goofy thing where they adopt Thorr as their last name like the Ramones did) was among the most amazing and technical drummers l’ve ever seen. Wow he was good. 

    He kinda had that Bonham vibe where you heard the beats and rolls and such, but you weren’t terribly sure what sequence drums were being hit to produce those sounds. 

    Is Dave Brubeck’s drummer still alive?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @ibleedbrown said:

    I’m in the “Ringo wasn’t all that” camp. Probably the luckiest drummer ever to fall into that group, but if l understand correctly he was key to keeping the Beatles machine moving by keeping tensions down amongst Lennon and McCarthy.

    I will defer to the experts that I know both personally, and at publications like Rolling Stone , who disagree. 

  • They said everybody it's generational. It really doesn't matter anymore.

    WSS

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by

    @westside-steve said:

    They said everybody it's generational. It really doesn't matter anymore.

    WSS

    I have literally read this probably 2 dozen times and have convinced myself that it’s simply too deep for me to understand. I like it. The helplessness disturbs me. I want there to be hope.