Browns hire Kevin Stefanski as HC
-
I just found it interesting that Kubiak said he has a brilliant coaching future but expanded on the comment by saying the keys to getting into position (head coach) are to do the types of things like calling games (playcall), calling offenses (playcall/gameplan maybe), calling defenses (wouldn't expect him to have experience in this as he is offensive guy), making decisions, running large meetings. So im just wondering if has of November 2019 had stefanski not done things a normal offensive coordinator would do i.e. run the offensive meetings (especially with defensive head coach), call plays, develop gameplans. I guess I just wouldn't have used that quote in the article because it can be taken that Kubiak doesn't believe he is experienced enough in those things.
If this is in reference to my comp of Freddie and stefanski the 12 years (which I corrected in original post Freddie actually had 13 years exp. before being named head coach) is just one of the many similarities. They were same position coaches along the way, assistant to head coach and associate head coach, both very limited coordinator experience, and both were rumored to be helped out quite a bit behind the scenes by more experienced coaches when they were coordinators.
Bill had 5 years of being a coordinator before before getting his gig which is a big difference. Also if stefanski starts out with two losing seasons like bill did I guarantee he doesn't get a 3rd from jimmy.
Bill started out with 3 losing seasons...then one winning season (playoffs), then another losing season.
Bill started out with 3 losing seasons...then one winning season (playoffs), then another losing season.
Ok well stefanski wouldn't make it through 2 losing seasons with Jimmy at the helm let alone 3
-
I love this hire. Why? I don't really have the time for a typical bloated Jiggins post (I know, darn, right?) but just really quickly I like the STYLE of offense. I know we have fans on this board that like using a fullback. Guess what? You'll have one next year. Stefanski also uses many principles that Shanahan does, and I LOVE that. Many plays will look identical and that's how he gets receivers open down the field and effective play action.
I'm stoked, I really am.
There was tons of speculation that our qb coach was the brains of the operation in 7-8-1 season. That may have been true. I definitely think he helped Baker a ton. One thing is definite though Kubiak was brought into Minnesota to help stefanski because offense wasn't performing great and once Kubiak came in the offense performed much better. So is Kubiak coming to Cleveland also?
There was tons of speculation that our qb coach was the brains of the operation in 7-8-1 season. That may have been true. I definitely think he helped Baker a ton. One thing is definite though Kubiak was brought into Minnesota to help stefanski because offense wasn't performing great and once Kubiak came in the offense performed much better. So is Kubiak coming to Cleveland also?
Kubiak's contract status with the Vikings is unclear.... If he's still under contract, Minnesota can block him from leaving for a sub- head coach position....
-
There was tons of speculation that our qb coach was the brains of the operation in 7-8-1 season. That may have been true. I definitely think he helped Baker a ton. One thing is definite though Kubiak was brought into Minnesota to help stefanski because offense wasn't performing great and once Kubiak came in the offense performed much better. So is Kubiak coming to Cleveland also?
Kubiak's contract status with the Vikings is unclear.... If he's still under contract, Minnesota can block him from leaving for a sub- head coach position....
Kubiak's contract status with the Vikings is unclear.... If he's still under contract, Minnesota can block him from leaving for a sub- head coach position....
That's right. I forgot that all "assistant" coach positions, whether its qb coach te coach quality assurance coach or offensive coordinator, are seen as lateral moves. Thanks for reminder.
-
Good read and I smiled when I realized we're going to see Baker rolling out... a lot... -
For most organizations I’d agree that McD perhaps overstepped his bounds. Keep in mind however he was not an employee but one interviewing to be one. Anyone well versed in interviewing is not just also interviewing the prospective employer. With Haslams track record of meddling and forcing bad decisions it entirely reasonable to want that changed prior to accepting the job.
I will give you that perhaps the weekly meeting is a bit overblown, that said of the 32 teams how many owners do you think are reviewing game plans on Mondays??
Not many, but then we now have word that the Monday meeting will be a post mortem of the game just played.... and I am sure those are fairly common.
If there's a game plan meeting, it would appear it will be on Friday which basically eliminates any "meddling" concerns since the plan is locked in by then. A si article I posted earlier around here somewhere explained how this is all a good thing ensuring that the Analytics boys are ready to support the HC and staff come Sunday.
As for Haslam's meddling... how many instances have there really been? He...
- went with a glorified scout who talked out of turn in the War room and gave us Manziel;
- decided on Hue Jackson after getting schmoozed by the snake, and
- bailed on a 5-year commitment to a new way of doing things when Dorsey, the other snake, got in his ear.
I grant you these were doozies, but the count I keep coming up with is these three.
Not many, but then we now have word that the Monday meeting will be a post mortem of the game just played.... and I am sure those are fairly common.
If there's a game plan meeting, it would appear it will be on Friday which basically eliminates any "meddling" concerns since the plan is locked in by then. A si article I posted earlier around here somewhere explained how this is all a good thing ensuring that the Analytics boys are ready to support the HC and staff come Sunday.
As for Haslam's meddling... how many instances have there really been? He...
- went with a glorified scout who talked out of turn in the War room and gave us Manziel;
- decided on Hue Jackson after getting schmoozed by the snake, and
- bailed on a 5-year commitment to a new way of doing things when Dorsey, the other snake, got in his ear.
I grant you these were doozies, but the count I keep coming up with is these three.
I’m guessing if we know of three there are quite a few more behind the scenes.
-
Good read and I smiled when I realized we're going to see Baker rolling out... a lot... -
Not many, but then we now have word that the Monday meeting will be a post mortem of the game just played.... and I am sure those are fairly common.
If there's a game plan meeting, it would appear it will be on Friday which basically eliminates any "meddling" concerns since the plan is locked in by then. A si article I posted earlier around here somewhere explained how this is all a good thing ensuring that the Analytics boys are ready to support the HC and staff come Sunday.
As for Haslam's meddling... how many instances have there really been? He...
- went with a glorified scout who talked out of turn in the War room and gave us Manziel;
- decided on Hue Jackson after getting schmoozed by the snake, and
- bailed on a 5-year commitment to a new way of doing things when Dorsey, the other snake, got in his ear.
I grant you these were doozies, but the count I keep coming up with is these three.
I’m guessing if we know of three there are quite a few more behind the scenes.
I’m guessing if we know of three there are quite a few more behind the scenes.
And you are likely right, but what was their likely impact since we never heard of them and were any of them positives?
Meanwhile the whole bit about a Friday game plan meeting is now moot, since there never was a demand for a Friday meeting.
-
Good read and I smiled when I realized we're going to see Baker rolling out... a lot...
Good read and I smiled when I realized we're going to see Baker rolling out... a lot...I thought this might have impressed you even more. ?
"Similar to how the Vikings invested two of their top four draft picks on interior offensive lineman, the Cleveland Browns will need to make significant investments in this offensive line in order to make the scheme work. "
-
by golly, it seems we really have been given a WINNER HEAD COACH OF THE BROWNS.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28490984/you-want-work-hard-browns-getting-kevin-stefanski
-
Good read and I smiled when I realized we're going to see Baker rolling out... a lot...I thought this might have impressed you even more. ?
"Similar to how the Vikings invested two of their top four draft picks on interior offensive lineman, the Cleveland Browns will need to make significant investments in this offensive line in order to make the scheme work. "
I thought this might have impressed you even more. ?
"Similar to how the Vikings invested two of their top four draft picks on interior offensive lineman, the Cleveland Browns will need to make significant investments in this offensive line in order to make the scheme work. "
It might have... except our OL is at least a 2-year project.

-
I thought this might have impressed you even more. ?
"Similar to how the Vikings invested two of their top four draft picks on interior offensive lineman, the Cleveland Browns will need to make significant investments in this offensive line in order to make the scheme work. "
It might have... except our OL is at least a 2-year project.

Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login