Skip to content

What does the Chief Of Staff do?

The Browns Board
77 29 3.5k 1
  • @ap1 said:

    My concern for her in this position would be the same for any female in this position - no matter her looks, voice, haircut or sexual orientation - the respect factor.

    I didn't read all the links in the thread, but if this is a true chief of staff position then this individual is the gateway to the HC. That means not everything gets to the head coach from the staff but everything from the head coach gets to the staff, that means juggling egos on the staff, mediating, counseling both the head coach and the staff and commanding the room when needed. Does the staff need a chief? I thought that was the head coaches job.

    Here's a real world scenario the Browns faced in the last two seasons: Todd Haley, the OC with a 20 year NFL resume, and Gregg Williams, the DC with a 30 year NFL resume, could not stand each other. They got chippy in practice. They got chippy on Hard Knocks. We can only imagine the the verbal exchanges not seen once the cameras left and the losing started. The chief of staff would mediate through disagreements with those two. How would that have gone?

    According to Browns.com, I did see she was an assistant coach high in school football as late as 2017. Imagine the cynicism from this board if the Browns hired a 30 year old man that two and a half years previous was an assistant coach and algebra teacher. I remember cynicism towards Mike Pettine and he had nearly 15 years of NFL experience since leaving North Penn when the Browns hired him.

    From my standpoint, looks, hair, voice, and sexual preference do not matter. She will have the respect of ownership - they have no choice, she will have the respect of the Front Office - they will have no choice. I hope she has the respect of the staff and the locker room, or this will go nowhere.

    And, much like my opinion of the Browns' structure when it comes to the chain of command, the more layers added complicate the burden of responsibility and finding the root cause of problems. 

    So you are saying that she is the Jon Snow of the Browns.  that she is being groomed for leadership 

    D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by D Bone
    #68

    @the-gipper said:

    So you are saying that she is the Jon Snow of the Browns.  that she is being groomed for leadership 

    No, he's saying she's Arya Stark. 

  • @ap1 said:

    My concern for her in this position would be the same for any female in this position - no matter her looks, voice, haircut or sexual orientation - the respect factor.

    I didn't read all the links in the thread, but if this is a true chief of staff position then this individual is the gateway to the HC. That means not everything gets to the head coach from the staff but everything from the head coach gets to the staff, that means juggling egos on the staff, mediating, counseling both the head coach and the staff and commanding the room when needed. Does the staff need a chief? I thought that was the head coaches job.

    Here's a real world scenario the Browns faced in the last two seasons: Todd Haley, the OC with a 20 year NFL resume, and Gregg Williams, the DC with a 30 year NFL resume, could not stand each other. They got chippy in practice. They got chippy on Hard Knocks. We can only imagine the the verbal exchanges not seen once the cameras left and the losing started. The chief of staff would mediate through disagreements with those two. How would that have gone?

    According to Browns.com, I did see she was an assistant coach high in school football as late as 2017. Imagine the cynicism from this board if the Browns hired a 30 year old man that two and a half years previous was an assistant coach and algebra teacher. I remember cynicism towards Mike Pettine and he had nearly 15 years of NFL experience since leaving North Penn when the Browns hired him.

    From my standpoint, looks, hair, voice, and sexual preference do not matter. She will have the respect of ownership - they have no choice, she will have the respect of the Front Office - they will have no choice. I hope she has the respect of the staff and the locker room, or this will go nowhere.

    And, much like my opinion of the Browns' structure when it comes to the chain of command, the more layers added complicate the burden of responsibility and finding the root cause of problems. 

    So you are saying that she is the Jon Snow of the Browns.  that she is being groomed for leadership 

    A AP1 wrote on last edited by
    #69

    @the-gipper said:

    So you are saying that she is the Jon Snow of the Browns.  that she is being groomed for leadership 

    I am saying, in full disclosure, that I have never seen Game of Thrones and I had to google Jon Snow and, even then, didn't pursue further intelligence gathering.

  • A AP1

    @the-gipper said:

    So you are saying that she is the Jon Snow of the Browns.  that she is being groomed for leadership 

    I am saying, in full disclosure, that I have never seen Game of Thrones and I had to google Jon Snow and, even then, didn't pursue further intelligence gathering.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #70

    @ap1 said:

    I am saying, in full disclosure, that I have never seen Game of Thrones and I had to google Jon Snow and, even then, didn't pursue further intelligence gathering.

    Ditto except for the google. Was Jon related to Jack Snow of Huarte to Snow fame?

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #71

    For us non-GOT fans, could you relate this to something cooler, like The Godfather? ?

  • For us non-GOT fans, could you relate this to something cooler, like The Godfather? ?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #72

    @dutch-oven said:

    For us non-GOT fans, could you relate this to something cooler, like The Godfather? ?

     It is not really a parallel. In Game of Thrones Jon Snow was selected to be the steward of the Lord commander of the black watch. Because the commander saw something in John where he knew he would become the leader eventually. Whereas Michael Corleone was completely reluctant to want to assume leadership even though he did . Well there can be some similarities in the situations it is not precise. In this case the young lady could perhaps be taken under the wing of the head coach to eventually become one herself. You never know

  • @the-gipper said:

    So you are saying that she is the Jon Snow of the Browns.  that she is being groomed for leadership 

    No, he's saying she's Arya Stark. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #73

    @d-bone said:

    No, he's saying she's Arya Stark. 

    Well if she is a killer like Arya Stark than that would be good for the Browns future 

  • @the-gipper said:

    So you are saying that she is the Jon Snow of the Browns.  that she is being groomed for leadership 

    No, he's saying she's Arya Stark. 

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #74

    @d-bone said:

    No, he's saying she's Arya Stark. 

    Learned last nite that Arya can sing...

    ... and drives an Audi EV.

    Did not see either of those coming.

  • For us non-GOT fans, could you relate this to something cooler, like The Godfather? ?

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #75

    @dutch-oven said:

    For us non-GOT fans, could you relate this to something cooler, like The Godfather? ?

    There is no GF paralllel.

    Best I can do is Salino in The Sting.

  • @d-bone said:

    No, he's saying she's Arya Stark. 

    Learned last nite that Arya can sing...

    ... and drives an Audi EV.

    Did not see either of those coming.

    D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by D Bone
    #76

    @tour2ma said:

    Learned last nite that Arya can sing...

    ... and drives an Audi EV.

    Did not see either of those coming.

    You know, it was weird at our party. I was the only one of the 12 that liked it.

    I should say that 4 of the 12 are 78 or older and had no idea who she was, 4 of them were millennials and were probably somehow 'offended' by the commercial and the other 3 are my age but apparently don't have a sense of humor.  

  • @tour2ma said:

    Learned last nite that Arya can sing...

    ... and drives an Audi EV.

    Did not see either of those coming.

    You know, it was weird at our party. I was the only one of the 12 that liked it.

    I should say that 4 of the 12 are 78 or older and had no idea who she was, 4 of them were millennials and were probably somehow 'offended' by the commercial and the other 3 are my age but apparently don't have a sense of humor.  

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #77

    @d-bone said:

    You know, it was weird at our party. I was the only one of the 12 that liked it.

    I should say that 4 of the 12 are 78 or older and had no idea who she was, 4 of them were millennials and were probably somehow 'offended' by the commercial and the other 3 are my age but apparently don't have a sense of humor.  

    She is a great little actress who I have seen in some other stuff including Dr. Who.