Skip to content

I'm Attending the Draft in Vegas, is anyone else going?

The Browns Board
69 19 2.5k 1
  • I Icecube wrote on last edited by
    #46

    What a scam. 

  • What a scam. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #47

    @icecube said:

    What a scam. 

    Johnson and Johnson one of the prime pushers in the opiod crisis.  As much as 17 billion in judgments against them.  Plus they were the company that gave us talcum powder cancer. 

  • While I haven't bought a single extra roll of toilet paper - much less a mask, there is no way I would go to Sin City just to have a good time, much less be trapped in a large hall with 10,000 screaming and spitting neanderthals that haven't washed their hands since they were 10 years old. 

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #48

    @d-bone said:

    While I haven't bought a single extra roll of toilet paper - much less a mask, there is no way I would go to Sin City just to have a good time, much less be trapped in a large hall with 10,000 screaming and spitting neanderthals that haven't washed their hands since they were 10 years old. 

    That's if you're inside..  

    @the-gipper said:

    I think it was actually going to be held on the streets with like 100,00 screaming, spitting neanderthals, and a few Cro-Magnon thrown in for good measure!!

    Try more like 600,000 total Gip that was the estimated number in Nashville.... 

  • @ballpeen said:

    Sorry to say, maybe years.   Nothing is written we will find a vaccine for this.

    We have never found a vaccine for the common cold, and it's been hounding people since the beginning of time.

    We will find a vaccine. There are some projects ongoing. Coronavirus family of virus has been around for 20 years, the only kick is that we need some time to create the proper antibodies to fight every new virus. 

    And common cold? Under that umbrella there are hundreds of viruses. 

    Therefore, I find it unlikely that we will have to endure this for some years. 

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #49

    @nero said:

    We will find a vaccine. There are some projects ongoing. Coronavirus family of virus has been around for 20 years, the only kick is that we need some time to create the proper antibodies to fight every new virus. 

    And common cold? Under that umbrella there are hundreds of viruses. 

    Therefore, I find it unlikely that we will have to endure this for some years. 

    It will depend on how readily the virus mutates Nero. Some- like polio, measles, and chickenpox- not at all. Influenza and cold viruses? Every year.  

    Too early to say about the corona. Though this one shares some genetic similarity with corona viruses found in creepy looking pangolins. Like rhinos, they're being hunted almost into extinction- because some Chinese think their scales have medicinal value. 

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #50

    Too early to say about the corona. Though this one shares some genetic similarity with corona viruses found in creepy looking pangolins. Like rhinos, they're being hunted almost into extinction- because some Chinese think their scales have medicinal value. 

    I have no clue what you are talking about and how it relates to this virus.  I mean, this sounds on the order of  the rumor that warlocks would consume the fat of unbaptized children to allow them to fly. 

  • @nero said:

    We will find a vaccine. There are some projects ongoing. Coronavirus family of virus has been around for 20 years, the only kick is that we need some time to create the proper antibodies to fight every new virus. 

    And common cold? Under that umbrella there are hundreds of viruses. 

    Therefore, I find it unlikely that we will have to endure this for some years. 

    It will depend on how readily the virus mutates Nero. Some- like polio, measles, and chickenpox- not at all. Influenza and cold viruses? Every year.  

    Too early to say about the corona. Though this one shares some genetic similarity with corona viruses found in creepy looking pangolins. Like rhinos, they're being hunted almost into extinction- because some Chinese think their scales have medicinal value. 

    NeroN Nero wrote on last edited by
    #51

    @hoorta said:

    It will depend on how readily the virus mutates Nero. Some- like polio, measles, and chickenpox- not at all. Influenza and cold viruses? Every year.  

    Too early to say about the corona. Though this one shares some genetic similarity with corona viruses found in creepy looking pangolins. Like rhinos, they're being hunted almost into extinction- because some Chinese think their scales have medicinal value. 

    Well, I guess we will find the COVID-19 vaccine, but later we will need COVID-21 etc. Also, we are going to develop antobodies through being in contact with it. 

    @the-gipper said:

    I have no clue what you are talking about and how it relates to this virus.  I mean, this sounds on the order of  the rumor that warlocks would consume the fat of unbaptized children to allow them to fly. 

    It means that the virus is a close relative to other viruses we are able to fight against. In fact, coronavirus is a group of virus we have known since early 2000 (SARS, for example).

    The other fact is that the pangolin transports it and it is close to extintion, so maybe we don't have to endure it in future years. 

  • @hoorta said:

    It will depend on how readily the virus mutates Nero. Some- like polio, measles, and chickenpox- not at all. Influenza and cold viruses? Every year.  

    Too early to say about the corona. Though this one shares some genetic similarity with corona viruses found in creepy looking pangolins. Like rhinos, they're being hunted almost into extinction- because some Chinese think their scales have medicinal value. 

    Well, I guess we will find the COVID-19 vaccine, but later we will need COVID-21 etc. Also, we are going to develop antobodies through being in contact with it. 

    @the-gipper said:

    I have no clue what you are talking about and how it relates to this virus.  I mean, this sounds on the order of  the rumor that warlocks would consume the fat of unbaptized children to allow them to fly. 

    It means that the virus is a close relative to other viruses we are able to fight against. In fact, coronavirus is a group of virus we have known since early 2000 (SARS, for example).

    The other fact is that the pangolin transports it and it is close to extintion, so maybe we don't have to endure it in future years. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #52

    @nero said:

    Well, I guess we will find the COVID-19 vaccine, but later we will need COVID-21 etc. Also, we are going to develop antobodies through being in contact with it. 

    It means that the virus is a close relative to other viruses we are able to fight against. In fact, coronavirus is a group of virus we have known since early 2000 (SARS, for example).

    The other fact is that the pangolin transports it and it is close to extintion, so maybe we don't have to endure it in future years. 

    OK, I just didn't get the Rhinocerous reference.

    I understand that Spain is having a hard time with it. 

  • @nero said:

    Well, I guess we will find the COVID-19 vaccine, but later we will need COVID-21 etc. Also, we are going to develop antobodies through being in contact with it. 

    It means that the virus is a close relative to other viruses we are able to fight against. In fact, coronavirus is a group of virus we have known since early 2000 (SARS, for example).

    The other fact is that the pangolin transports it and it is close to extintion, so maybe we don't have to endure it in future years. 

    OK, I just didn't get the Rhinocerous reference.

    I understand that Spain is having a hard time with it. 

    NeroN Nero wrote on last edited by Nero
    #53

    @the-gipper said:

    OK, I just didn't get the Rhinocerous reference.

    I understand that Spain is having a hard time with it. 

    Yes, Spain is having a hard time.

    See you in a week. I bet it spreads even faster in the US, not that I wish so (stay safe, fellas) . I've always had the sense that Americans travel alot between states and today's active cases come from 1-2 weeks ago's contagion, so we will know the real magnitude of the disease in 1-2 weeks. 

    Once again, take care and be very cautious. 

    EDIT: 4th day I stay at home, only getting out once for errands. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    OK, I just didn't get the Rhinocerous reference.

    I understand that Spain is having a hard time with it. 

    Yes, Spain is having a hard time.

    See you in a week. I bet it spreads even faster in the US, not that I wish so (stay safe, fellas) . I've always had the sense that Americans travel alot between states and today's active cases come from 1-2 weeks ago's contagion, so we will know the real magnitude of the disease in 1-2 weeks. 

    Once again, take care and be very cautious. 

    EDIT: 4th day I stay at home, only getting out once for errands. 

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #54

    @nero said:

    Yes, Spain is having a hard time.

    See you in a week. I bet it spreads even faster in the US, not that I wish so (stay safe, fellas) . I've always had the sense that Americans travel alot between states and today's active cases come from 1-2 weeks ago's contagion, so we will know the real magnitude of the disease in 1-2 weeks. 

    Once again, take care and be very cautious. 

    EDIT: 4th day I stay at home, only getting out once for errands. 

    Good luck brother Nero and one good thing to come of this is that the general public should be much better educated about all viruses starting with the common cold on up.   https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhinovirus

    My mother in law until she died at 95 last year believed like many others that colds were caused by the cold, wet hair, air conditioning and all of those old wives tales all completely false !

    Finally maybe everybody will finally get it on viruses and and what they are and how they spread. One big culprit the manly hand shake - bad !  

    And my wife from 42 years in the hospital knows all to well about the Rhinovirus A, B, C -or- the common cold and it's relatives ! For your information:

    The rhinovirus (from the Greek ῥίς rhis "nose", gen ῥινός rhinos "of the nose", and the Latin vīrus) is the most common viral infectious agent in humans and is the predominant cause of the common cold. Rhinovirus infection proliferates in temperatures of 33–35 °C (91–95 °F), the temperatures found in the nose. Rhinoviruses belong to the genus Enterovirus in the family Picornaviridae.

    The three species of rhinovirus (A, B, and C) include around 160 recognized types of human rhinovirus that differ according to their surface proteins (serotypes).[1] They are lytic in nature and are among the smallest viruses, with diameters of about 30 nanometers. By comparison, other viruses, such as smallpox and vaccinia, are around ten times larger at about 300 nanometers; while flu viruses are around 80–120 nm.

    The human Rhinovirus Strain 1A (which was at the time held responsible for at least 30 percent of the common cold infections) was first isolated in spring of 1954 but was not reported until 1957 (when he announced successful use of vaccine against it) by Dr. Winston Price at Johns Hopkins University........ continued........

    And what does it look like?  Oh no soccer causes the common cold !    😮

    (Isosurface of a human rhinovirus, showing protein spikes.)

    220px-Rhinovirus.PNG

  • I Icecube wrote on last edited by
    #55

    Are you still going?

  • @nero said:

    Well, I guess we will find the COVID-19 vaccine, but later we will need COVID-21 etc. Also, we are going to develop antobodies through being in contact with it. 

    It means that the virus is a close relative to other viruses we are able to fight against. In fact, coronavirus is a group of virus we have known since early 2000 (SARS, for example).

    The other fact is that the pangolin transports it and it is close to extintion, so maybe we don't have to endure it in future years. 

    OK, I just didn't get the Rhinocerous reference.

    I understand that Spain is having a hard time with it. 

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #56

    @the-gipper said:

    OK, I just didn't get the Rhinocerous reference.

    I understand that Spain is having a hard time with it. 

    Sorry if you didn't  get that  connection.  Rhino horn or pangolin scales.  Both bs medicine to some goofs. It's not uncommon for different  species to harbor  viruses or bacteria that are  very similar or identical to  those found in  humans. Some indications that's  where this pool  of Corona  viruses came from,  like  AIDS from the  monkey species.  

    BTW, last year I found the answer to something puzzling I saw frequently on my  bike rides. A rabbit jumping into a  thicket of  poison ivy. Turns out  they're  immune to the  stuff. Just like birds having  no problems with their  guts being loaded with salmonella  bacteria that get humans pretty  sick.  

  • Are you still going?

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #57

    @icecube said:

    Are you still going?

    "Well I've never been to Spain but I've been to Oklahoma".......     😉

  • @the-gipper said:

    OK, I just didn't get the Rhinocerous reference.

    I understand that Spain is having a hard time with it. 

    Yes, Spain is having a hard time.

    See you in a week. I bet it spreads even faster in the US, not that I wish so (stay safe, fellas) . I've always had the sense that Americans travel alot between states and today's active cases come from 1-2 weeks ago's contagion, so we will know the real magnitude of the disease in 1-2 weeks. 

    Once again, take care and be very cautious. 

    EDIT: 4th day I stay at home, only getting out once for errands. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #58

    @nero said:

    Yes, Spain is having a hard time.

    See you in a week. I bet it spreads even faster in the US, not that I wish so (stay safe, fellas) . I've always had the sense that Americans travel alot between states and today's active cases come from 1-2 weeks ago's contagion, so we will know the real magnitude of the disease in 1-2 weeks. 

    Once again, take care and be very cautious. 

    EDIT: 4th day I stay at home, only getting out once for errands. 

    Yes,  we do travel a lot between states. At least, I do.   But I am not scheduled to travel until Mid May....2 months from now.  But where I am going then is a remote (Adirondacks of Upstate New York)   sparsely populated area, and what I want to see and do, except for a couple of things, is mainly outdoor places where there would be limited contact with people.

    July is another story....daughter's wedding then subsequent cruise....just me, my wife, son, daughter, new in laws....and 4000 other people on board a cruise ship.  Royal Caribbean says they are monitoring the situation.   We shall see. 

  • Are you still going?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #59

    @icecube said:

    Are you still going?

    The NFL may not be going.  Read the other thread on that and their backup plans.  (just doing the draft via videoconferencing) 

    I think he needs to see what they plan. 

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #60

    Just remember when it comes to sports viruses one of there are safe to come into contact with the other is not.

    This is proven science folks, honest !

    S0620098528_LeatherFootball_Navigator_3840H_MAIN_01.png

    220px-Rhinovirus.PNG

  • @nero said:

    Yes, Spain is having a hard time.

    See you in a week. I bet it spreads even faster in the US, not that I wish so (stay safe, fellas) . I've always had the sense that Americans travel alot between states and today's active cases come from 1-2 weeks ago's contagion, so we will know the real magnitude of the disease in 1-2 weeks. 

    Once again, take care and be very cautious. 

    EDIT: 4th day I stay at home, only getting out once for errands. 

    Yes,  we do travel a lot between states. At least, I do.   But I am not scheduled to travel until Mid May....2 months from now.  But where I am going then is a remote (Adirondacks of Upstate New York)   sparsely populated area, and what I want to see and do, except for a couple of things, is mainly outdoor places where there would be limited contact with people.

    July is another story....daughter's wedding then subsequent cruise....just me, my wife, son, daughter, new in laws....and 4000 other people on board a cruise ship.  Royal Caribbean says they are monitoring the situation.   We shall see. 

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #61

    @the-gipper said:

    Yes,  we do travel a lot between states. At least, I do.   But I am not scheduled to travel until Mid May....2 months from now.  But where I am going then is a remote (Adirondacks of Upstate New York)   sparsely populated area, and what I want to see and do, except for a couple of things, is mainly outdoor places where there would be limited contact with people.

    July is another story....daughter's wedding then subsequent cruise....just me, my wife, son, daughter, new in laws....and 4000 other people on board a cruise ship.  Royal Caribbean says they are monitoring the situation.   We shall see. 

    Don't know Gipper- I'd make alternate plans while there's still time. Cancun\Cozumel might be nice. I wouldn't doubt whatever cruise line would give you a refund if you ask for one now. 

    FWIW, I hate the idea of being stuck on a ship. Never been on a cruise, and have no interest in ever going on one. Back solar eclipse time 1998 in Curacao, we were down at the docks watching those lines unload the lemmings for shore leave... I was not impressed. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Yes,  we do travel a lot between states. At least, I do.   But I am not scheduled to travel until Mid May....2 months from now.  But where I am going then is a remote (Adirondacks of Upstate New York)   sparsely populated area, and what I want to see and do, except for a couple of things, is mainly outdoor places where there would be limited contact with people.

    July is another story....daughter's wedding then subsequent cruise....just me, my wife, son, daughter, new in laws....and 4000 other people on board a cruise ship.  Royal Caribbean says they are monitoring the situation.   We shall see. 

    Don't know Gipper- I'd make alternate plans while there's still time. Cancun\Cozumel might be nice. I wouldn't doubt whatever cruise line would give you a refund if you ask for one now. 

    FWIW, I hate the idea of being stuck on a ship. Never been on a cruise, and have no interest in ever going on one. Back solar eclipse time 1998 in Curacao, we were down at the docks watching those lines unload the lemmings for shore leave... I was not impressed. 

    I Icecube wrote on last edited by
    #62

    @hoorta said:

    Don't know Gipper- I'd make alternate plans while there's still time. Cancun\Cozumel might be nice. I wouldn't doubt whatever cruise line would give you a refund if you ask for one now. 

    FWIW, I hate the idea of being stuck on a ship. Never been on a cruise, and have no interest in ever going on one. Back solar eclipse time 1998 in Curacao, we were down at the docks watching those lines unload the lemmings for shore leave... I was not impressed. 

    If you ever do go on one, don't do the 1-week package. We were bored to tears. Way too long. I'd only do a 3-day if I did it again. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Yes,  we do travel a lot between states. At least, I do.   But I am not scheduled to travel until Mid May....2 months from now.  But where I am going then is a remote (Adirondacks of Upstate New York)   sparsely populated area, and what I want to see and do, except for a couple of things, is mainly outdoor places where there would be limited contact with people.

    July is another story....daughter's wedding then subsequent cruise....just me, my wife, son, daughter, new in laws....and 4000 other people on board a cruise ship.  Royal Caribbean says they are monitoring the situation.   We shall see. 

    Don't know Gipper- I'd make alternate plans while there's still time. Cancun\Cozumel might be nice. I wouldn't doubt whatever cruise line would give you a refund if you ask for one now. 

    FWIW, I hate the idea of being stuck on a ship. Never been on a cruise, and have no interest in ever going on one. Back solar eclipse time 1998 in Curacao, we were down at the docks watching those lines unload the lemmings for shore leave... I was not impressed. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #63

    @hoorta said:

    Don't know Gipper- I'd make alternate plans while there's still time. Cancun\Cozumel might be nice. I wouldn't doubt whatever cruise line would give you a refund if you ask for one now. 

    For which?  The Adirondacks, or the cruise.  I really think I am good with the Adirondacks, even if that trip were to take place right now.  And it is a fact that I really could have very little interaction with people on that trip.  Pump my own gas.  Make my own lunch....or go through drive-in for food. Just the check in desk,  and maybe  a waiter or two if I wanted to eat out somewhere. (or just, again, bring my own lunch and make dinner at the condo...though I would have to hit a grocery.   Otherwise, it is just the people who I would be traveling with. (Actually meeting them there, just driving by myself).  I could hose them down with Lysol on arrival.  Think that would go over? 

    FWIW, I hate the idea of being stuck on a ship. Never been on a cruise, and have no interest in ever going on one. Back solar eclipse time 1998 in Curacao, we were down at the docks watching those lines unload the lemmings for shore leave... I was not impressed. 

    Now, yea, the cruise is a different matter, and this was not my choice really.  Daughter's wedding choice.  And so I cannot make my own personal choice to cancel at this point.  We have a party of like 50 people going on this thing.  Royal Caribbean has NOT cancelled nor offered to give full refunds at this point, though I could cancel...they would keep $500.00...or more.  So...up in the air, wait and see. 

  • @hoorta said:

    Don't know Gipper- I'd make alternate plans while there's still time. Cancun\Cozumel might be nice. I wouldn't doubt whatever cruise line would give you a refund if you ask for one now. 

    FWIW, I hate the idea of being stuck on a ship. Never been on a cruise, and have no interest in ever going on one. Back solar eclipse time 1998 in Curacao, we were down at the docks watching those lines unload the lemmings for shore leave... I was not impressed. 

    If you ever do go on one, don't do the 1-week package. We were bored to tears. Way too long. I'd only do a 3-day if I did it again. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #64

    @icecube said:

    If you ever do go on one, don't do the 1-week package. We were bored to tears. Way too long. I'd only do a 3-day if I did it again. 

    I am in for the week.  But do have  3 ports of call.  Cozumel  (doing beach break with buffet/open bar/water sports).  Costa Maya  (doing some Mayan ruins)....and Roatan....(not sure yet..nature whatever).   And at my age a couple or 3 days of in between relaxing may not be uncalled for. 

    But, in addition...I DID get a notice that as of this point, RC could say that they could deny boarding to anyone with certain underlying health issues....including diabetes, which includes me.  

    So, if they did that, I would say to them:  Refund ALL of my money NOW, right now, because I would be stuck in Houston, which I would definitely not want.....and I would use that $3500  and that week  to like either drive to Colorado, or go to the Smokies, or  go to Naples Fla. or fly to like  and spend the week near the beach there, or something. 

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #65

    Cades' Cove is a beautiful place - http://www.cadescove.net/

    We are planning a camping trip to "Land between the lakes" in Tennessee...with friends.