Skip to content

Bold idea that would change the landscape of sports in Cleveland

The Browns Board
355 22 6.5k
  • @the-gipper said:

    Since you asked- Cincinnati (many times), Lions (many times, both old Silverdome and Ford Field), Texans (twice), Colts (before and after Lucas Oil- and if you want my opinion, it's the best of the Domes I've been to), Chiefs- X3, and for those who say an NFL stadium is obsolete after 15 years- Arrowhead has been hosting games since 1972, and it's my favorite outdoor stadium.   Rams St. Louis in the Edward Jones Dome. Dolphins, Patriots, Buccaneers, Titans. 

    Blew a lot of opportunities last year. Jets, Broncos, and Cardinals. You probably know I had Arizona on the schedule until the Browns started playing so poorly I cancelled the idea, and I'm glad I didn't waste my money going.  

    This year the possibilities are Dallas, Jaguars (would they move the Browns game to London? Not outside the realm of possibility), Giants\ Jets.  My thinking is if I hit a stadium with two teams, it counts for both. I'll only make one trip to LA.  High on my eventual priority list are the Bears, Bills, Packers, and the away Steelers and Ravens. Probably go incognito to the last two. And I've heard Eagles fans are brutal to opposing fans. 

    Back on this part of this topic:   

    1. As you know,  we went to the Tits game in Nashville together.  That stadium was OK I guess. But, the heat was pretty brutal that day with the sun beating down on us constantly.   That....along with the way the Browns played that day, did not make that venture a pleasant experience IMO.  Plus they too did the constant noise barrage that I describe hereinafter. 

    2. As you also know, I went to the game in Houston. That dome was fine really, but that team's actions during the game....constant haranguing of the fans to "make noise", constant rap and heavy metal music playing between every play and during every timeout, and the constant barrage of advertising on the screens and on the loudspeakers ....it was irritating as all get out. Except when the actual play was going on, it was a constant barrage of noise that you could not even talk to the people you were with.  That, along with the Browns play that day caused us to leave early.   It too was not a pleasant experience. 

    3. I HAVE been to a game at what is now known as  Hard Rock Stadium.....in the Miami area, where the Dolphins play, but, I was there for a Marlins game back when they played in that stadium.     Does that count?

    4. I did a tour of the Superdome, pre-Katrina, but no game was going on.  Does that count?

    5. I did a tour of Lambeau, but no game going on. Does that count? 

    And speaking of baseball games, I have been to more of those stadiums than to football stadiums, but not by much.   As mentioned: nka Hard Rock--Miami, Coors Field--Denver.   I was at the old Metrodome for a Tribe/Twins game.  I was at the former Busch stadium in  St. Louis, not the current one.  I went to a game at Wrigley Field. I went to a game at Riverfront, but not the current Cincy stadium.  I went to a baseball game at Three Rivers, but not the current stadium.  I went to a game at the Skydome, which I think the Blue Jays still play in, though it may be called something else now. 

    Sorry, but I have found that going to a baseball game is a more pleasant experience than going to a football game.  Sure, it is, I guess, a more laid back game....until it gets really tense and exciting.  And, as far as I know, they don't do the constant barrage of noise they do for football.    Or...has all that changed?  Sure, they have some ads, but  they don't constantly blare noise at you. 

    My feeling is if there's not a football game being played, it doesn't count. I've driven past Mile High several times. 

    As you know, I don't in general give a rat about baseball. So the only stadiums I've been in are Progressive and Great American. Less distractions? Sure. No wiener dog races between innings. 😁

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper

    @hoorta said:

    My feeling is if there's not a football game being played, it doesn't count. I've driven past Mile High several times. 

    As you know, I don't in general give a rat about baseball. So the only stadiums I've been in are Progressive and Great American. Less distractions? Sure. No wiener dog races between innings. 😁

    Well, I have "driven by"  and around  innumerable stadia. Old Jack Murphy,  Anaheim Stadium, Dodger, AT*T in SFO;  Oakland-Alameda; Kingdome; Mile High;  Sun Devil...when Cards played there. Cowboys old stadium; Minute Maid; Astrodome; Arrowhead and Royals stad. ; Miller Field--Milwaukee; Soldier field. Comiskey...or whatever it is called;  both Lucas Oil and the previous Indy dome..can't recall the name (actually went in there...not during a game).   Tiger Field;  both current Cincy parks; a couple of Atlanta stad.;   Gator Bowl nka Everbank?    

    Oh, I actually went to a game in the old Orange Bowl.....college game, Miami v. South Carolina;    Raymond James; Carolina Panther stad. Nationals field...whatever that is named.  M&T Bank and Camden Yards in B-More.  Both current Pittsburg Stadiums, both current Philly stadia;  MetLife; Fenway.  The Big O in Montreal...once upon a time an MLB park. 

    But, as you say, just seeing them does not really count.  

    Does the Rose Bowl count?  Well, I again just drove around it, no game. 

    And hey...while I am not a fan of the sport, I have toured a couple of race tracks:   Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Talladega,.... have been by Bristol. 

    Been to Churchill Downs.  Been by Saratoga, but did not go in. 

    And have been to numerous college football stadiums.  I was in a couple. 

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    Big time college stadiums I have been in/around...gotten photos of :

    Went to games at the Orange Bowl, and the Williams/Bryce Stadium,  South Carolina Univ.  (my in laws were big South Carolina fans, so that is why I went to a few of their games.   I won't count the Rubber Bowl...or should I? 

    I have been in or around nearly every Big Ten schools stadium (but never went to a game):  Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois (went down on the field there), Purdue, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Iowa

    SEC:  Missouri, Arkansas, Auburn, SC as noted, Tennessee. Kentucky

    ACC: Duke/NC/NCSt./Wake/FSU/Pitt/Syracuse/

    Pac 12:  Rose Bowl,  Stanford, Cal, Washington, Colorado, Arizona, AZ St. 

    Big 12:  Texas, Texas Tech , Oklahoma, Kansas, Kansas St./West Virginia

    Others:  Notre Dame, BYU,   Boise St.   Idaho St. 

    I may have missed some. 

    FYI....the "worst" stadium for security.....or, at least the seemingly most paranoid:     Michigan. Obviously I did not go to a game, and you couldn't even get close to the stadium.  They had like Auschwitz style fencing around it and you couldn't even get close to like seeing the field.  

    In many places I could walk right into the stadium, into the grandstand and take photos of the field.  As I said, at Illinois, I was able to walk right down onto the field because they were having a bunch of Boy Scout actually having a camp out, right on the turf.   I could have probably gone on to the field from the stands on some others, but I did not want to be that presumptuous....and while maybe being in the stands was not problem, getting on the actual field have been, so I didn't want to risk it. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    No, if I were to use other words, I'd say you are a windbag. 

    So, in other words, you have nothing to say about what the Browns stadium future may look like, or what you want it to be?  So, you have nothing productive to contribute to this conversation.   In other words, it is all about you and your ego and not the topic.  (so...whose ego needs stroked?)

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    So, in other words, you have nothing to say about what the Browns stadium future may look like, or what you want it to be?  So, you have nothing productive to contribute to this conversation.   In other words, it is all about you and your ego and not the topic.  (so...whose ego needs stroked?)

    I started this conversation. 

    As usual, you've ruined the conversation. 

    This shouldn't come to any surprise to you. This happens often on this board. 

  • @mjp28 said:

    going-off-topic-banner.png

    Trying to get back on topic.   Do you have anything to contribute?

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    Trying to get back on topic.   Do you have anything to contribute?

    Retirement seems to be agreeing with you.....I think.  

    And you have some good points and pictures on the subject.  Did you do any land or business acquisitions in your practice ?

  • @the-gipper said:

    So, in other words, you have nothing to say about what the Browns stadium future may look like, or what you want it to be?  So, you have nothing productive to contribute to this conversation.   In other words, it is all about you and your ego and not the topic.  (so...whose ego needs stroked?)

    I started this conversation. 

    As usual, you've ruined the conversation. 

    This shouldn't come to any surprise to you. This happens often on this board. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    I started this conversation. 

    As usual, you've ruined the conversation. 

    This shouldn't come to any surprise to you. This happens often on this board. 

    You dropped the ball.  Is that typical of you? 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Trying to get back on topic.   Do you have anything to contribute?

    Retirement seems to be agreeing with you.....I think.  

    And you have some good points and pictures on the subject.  Did you do any land or business acquisitions in your practice ?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    Retirement seems to be agreeing with you.....I think.  

    And you have some good points and pictures on the subject.  Did you do any land or business acquisitions in your practice ?

    Some, yes. ....certainly no billion dollar deals.  I also worked with and sat on the board of a Community Development program that did some fair size deals. 

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    Can anyone spare a dead horse for this thread?

  • Can anyone spare a dead horse for this thread?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    Can anyone spare a dead horse for this thread?

    Sorry you are bored and have nothing to contribute to what many more fans are concerned with....the quality of the stadium and the game day experience.   You can go back to watching hours of film of Division 1_AA  offensive linemen.   ZZZZSSSSSnoooorkkk

  • Can anyone spare a dead horse for this thread?

    Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    Can anyone spare a dead horse for this thread?

    YEP!....

    horse mammal vertebrate horse like mammal pack animal mustang horse

    Mike

  • Can anyone spare a dead horse for this thread?

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    Can anyone spare a dead horse for this thread?

    Gipper has turned that dead horse into glue by now, you gotta think? 

  • @tour2ma said:

    Can anyone spare a dead horse for this thread?

    Gipper has turned that dead horse into glue by now, you gotta think? 

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    Gipper has turned that dead horse into glue by now, you gotta think? 

    Time for mjp28 to turn this into a sumptuous meal on the Game Day Food thread.?

  • @the-gipper said:

    So, in other words, you agree that I am right. 

    No, if I were to use other words, I'd say you are a windbag. 

    GorkaG Gorka wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    No, if I were to use other words, I'd say you are a windbag. 

    Whoa!

    Now there's something I would agree with this guy on!

  • @tour2ma said:

    Can anyone spare a dead horse for this thread?

    Gipper has turned that dead horse into glue by now, you gotta think? 

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    Gipper has turned that dead horse into glue by now, you gotta think? 

    I believe you meant to ask, "Fair to say?"

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Gipper has turned that dead horse into glue by now, you gotta think? 

    Time for mjp28 to turn this into a sumptuous meal on the Game Day Food thread.?

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    @texasag1969 said:

    Time for mjp28 to turn this into a sumptuous meal on the Game Day Food thread.?

    Dead horse beaten well until tender marinated for 24 hours in a good steak sauce and grilled to perfection served with some baked root vegetables and a fine wine ?  Eh ?          😉

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Time for mjp28 to turn this into a sumptuous meal on the Game Day Food thread.?

    Dead horse beaten well until tender marinated for 24 hours in a good steak sauce and grilled to perfection served with some baked root vegetables and a fine wine ?  Eh ?          😉

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    Dead horse beaten well until tender marinated for 24 hours in a good steak sauce and grilled to perfection served with some baked root vegetables and a fine wine ?  Eh ?          😉

    Might I suggest I pick up a bottle of the Houston Lifestock Show & Rodeo International Wine contest Gold Medal Reserve Class Champion "Corky Mule" from Thirsty Mule Winery about 5 miles or so from my house? Hee Haw!

    Thirsty Mule Winery
     
  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    Sorry you all don't like football,  or that you do not identify with the interests of football fans. 

    But, I guess   you are all correct in this regard:  Based on my past couple of experiences, as I have noted above.....the in stadium game day experience IS highly disappointing and beyond, and perhaps we should not have any interest in taking any part of it, or in discussing it....particularly given the cost  of it all.   Let's just sit on our couches and watch the games.  

    Maybe I will just do that. 

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    Football?

    I thought this thread was about real estate...

  • Football?

    I thought this thread was about real estate...

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    Football?

    I thought this thread was about real estate...

    Multi-tasking.....Football fan experience.   But, yea, real estate seems to be a major factor in that these days. 

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    Well this is kind of funny... there might be a new stadium coming to downtown Cleveland after all.... a soccer stadium. 

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/finance/realestate/odot-to-sell-land-near-progressive-field-including-site-considered-for-soccer-stadium/ar-BB10yzI1

  • Football?

    I thought this thread was about real estate...

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    Football?

    I thought this thread was about real estate...

    I thought it was about wine to match the dead horse!???