Skip to content

Bold idea that would change the landscape of sports in Cleveland

The Browns Board
355 22 6.5k
  • @the-gipper said:

    So, in other words, you agree that I am right. 

    No, if I were to use other words, I'd say you are a windbag. 

    GorkaG Gorka wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    No, if I were to use other words, I'd say you are a windbag. 

    Whoa!

    Now there's something I would agree with this guy on!

  • @tour2ma said:

    Can anyone spare a dead horse for this thread?

    Gipper has turned that dead horse into glue by now, you gotta think? 

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    Gipper has turned that dead horse into glue by now, you gotta think? 

    I believe you meant to ask, "Fair to say?"

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Gipper has turned that dead horse into glue by now, you gotta think? 

    Time for mjp28 to turn this into a sumptuous meal on the Game Day Food thread.?

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    @texasag1969 said:

    Time for mjp28 to turn this into a sumptuous meal on the Game Day Food thread.?

    Dead horse beaten well until tender marinated for 24 hours in a good steak sauce and grilled to perfection served with some baked root vegetables and a fine wine ?  Eh ?          😉

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Time for mjp28 to turn this into a sumptuous meal on the Game Day Food thread.?

    Dead horse beaten well until tender marinated for 24 hours in a good steak sauce and grilled to perfection served with some baked root vegetables and a fine wine ?  Eh ?          😉

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    Dead horse beaten well until tender marinated for 24 hours in a good steak sauce and grilled to perfection served with some baked root vegetables and a fine wine ?  Eh ?          😉

    Might I suggest I pick up a bottle of the Houston Lifestock Show & Rodeo International Wine contest Gold Medal Reserve Class Champion "Corky Mule" from Thirsty Mule Winery about 5 miles or so from my house? Hee Haw!

    Thirsty Mule Winery
     
  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    Sorry you all don't like football,  or that you do not identify with the interests of football fans. 

    But, I guess   you are all correct in this regard:  Based on my past couple of experiences, as I have noted above.....the in stadium game day experience IS highly disappointing and beyond, and perhaps we should not have any interest in taking any part of it, or in discussing it....particularly given the cost  of it all.   Let's just sit on our couches and watch the games.  

    Maybe I will just do that. 

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    Football?

    I thought this thread was about real estate...

  • Football?

    I thought this thread was about real estate...

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    Football?

    I thought this thread was about real estate...

    Multi-tasking.....Football fan experience.   But, yea, real estate seems to be a major factor in that these days. 

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    Well this is kind of funny... there might be a new stadium coming to downtown Cleveland after all.... a soccer stadium. 

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/finance/realestate/odot-to-sell-land-near-progressive-field-including-site-considered-for-soccer-stadium/ar-BB10yzI1

  • Football?

    I thought this thread was about real estate...

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    Football?

    I thought this thread was about real estate...

    I thought it was about wine to match the dead horse!???

  • Well this is kind of funny... there might be a new stadium coming to downtown Cleveland after all.... a soccer stadium. 

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/finance/realestate/odot-to-sell-land-near-progressive-field-including-site-considered-for-soccer-stadium/ar-BB10yzI1

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    Well this is kind of funny... there might be a new stadium coming to downtown Cleveland after all.... a soccer stadium. 

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/finance/realestate/odot-to-sell-land-near-progressive-field-including-site-considered-for-soccer-stadium/ar-BB10yzI1

    Cool.   I think you can probably see that parcel on some of the photos that are here above.

    But....who would play there?   They say a "minor league" soccer team.   Why not an MLS team?

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Well this is kind of funny... there might be a new stadium coming to downtown Cleveland after all.... a soccer stadium. 

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/finance/realestate/odot-to-sell-land-near-progressive-field-including-site-considered-for-soccer-stadium/ar-BB10yzI1

    Cool.   I think you can probably see that parcel on some of the photos that are here above.

    But....who would play there?   They say a "minor league" soccer team.   Why not an MLS team?

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta

    @the-gipper said:

    Cool.   I think you can probably see that parcel on some of the photos that are here above.

    But....who would play there?   They say a "minor league" soccer team.   Why not an MLS team?

    Um, because there's already MLS teams in Columbus and Cincinnati?  and Jimmuh isn't moving the Crew to Cleveland- that's for sure. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Cool.   I think you can probably see that parcel on some of the photos that are here above.

    But....who would play there?   They say a "minor league" soccer team.   Why not an MLS team?

    Um, because there's already MLS teams in Columbus and Cincinnati?  and Jimmuh isn't moving the Crew to Cleveland- that's for sure. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper

    @hoorta said:

    Um, because there's already MLS teams in Columbus and Cincinnati?  and Jimmuh isn't moving the Crew to Cleveland- that's for sure. 

    So, the Minor League cities in this state get the "Major League Soccer team"?  Or why not just call it  Minor League Soccer? 

    The Columbus soccer team only drew an average of like 12,500.    The Cincinnati team drew more, like 27 K per game....because it is brand new.

    Hell, The Force used to get upwards of 20K a game for Indoor Soccer at the Richfield Coliseum.   (of course, that WAS a more entertaining product than the MLS).

    Maybe Jimmy should consider moving that Columbus team to Cleveland....especially if he is going to be building what we have been talking about here....a 2 billion+ sports complex. 

  • @hoorta said:

    Um, because there's already MLS teams in Columbus and Cincinnati?  and Jimmuh isn't moving the Crew to Cleveland- that's for sure. 

    So, the Minor League cities in this state get the "Major League Soccer team"?  Or why not just call it  Minor League Soccer? 

    The Columbus soccer team only drew an average of like 12,500.    The Cincinnati team drew more, like 27 K per game....because it is brand new.

    Hell, The Force used to get upwards of 20K a game for Indoor Soccer at the Richfield Coliseum.   (of course, that WAS a more entertaining product than the MLS).

    Maybe Jimmy should consider moving that Columbus team to Cleveland....especially if he is going to be building what we have been talking about here....a 2 billion+ sports complex. 

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    So, the Minor League cities in this state get the "Major League Soccer team"?  Or why not just call it  Minor League Soccer? 

    The Columbus soccer team only drew an average of like 12,500.    The Cincinnati team drew more, like 27 K per game....because it is brand new.

    Hell, The Force used to get upwards of 20K a game for Indoor Soccer at the Richfield Coliseum.   (of course, that WAS a more entertaining product than the MLS).

    Maybe Jimmy should consider moving that Columbus team to Cleveland....especially if he is going to be building what we have been talking about here....a 2 billion+ sports complex. 

    Not a chance in hell of that happening Gipper. Pretty big uproar Columbus way when there was serious talk the Crew was going to be relocated to another city. Then Haslam bought the team- and there's a nice shiny new $300 million soccer specific stadium under construction.   

    New Colombus Crew Stadium.jpg

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    Isn't there another soccer league? Kind of a minor-league to the MSL? 

    For some reason I thought Pittsburgh might have a team in it?

  • @the-gipper said:

    So, the Minor League cities in this state get the "Major League Soccer team"?  Or why not just call it  Minor League Soccer? 

    The Columbus soccer team only drew an average of like 12,500.    The Cincinnati team drew more, like 27 K per game....because it is brand new.

    Hell, The Force used to get upwards of 20K a game for Indoor Soccer at the Richfield Coliseum.   (of course, that WAS a more entertaining product than the MLS).

    Maybe Jimmy should consider moving that Columbus team to Cleveland....especially if he is going to be building what we have been talking about here....a 2 billion+ sports complex. 

    Not a chance in hell of that happening Gipper. Pretty big uproar Columbus way when there was serious talk the Crew was going to be relocated to another city. Then Haslam bought the team- and there's a nice shiny new $300 million soccer specific stadium under construction.   

    New Colombus Crew Stadium.jpg

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper

    @hoorta said:

    Not a chance in hell of that happening Gipper. Pretty big uproar Columbus way when there was serious talk the Crew was going to be relocated to another city. Then Haslam bought the team- and there's a nice shiny new $300 million soccer specific stadium under construction.   

    New Colombus Crew Stadium.jpg

    Oh OK I was not aware  that they were building that stadium down there. 

    But, if Jimmy thinks that somehow because he owns a football team in Cleveland, and a soccer team in Columbus that the Cleveland area will all of a sudden become fans of his C-bus soccer team, he is deluding himself.   The opposite WOULD possibly be true....Columbus could (and has to a great extent) been a big Browns town.   But there won't be any chapter of the Crew Backers opening up around here any time soon.   (unless I am totally out of touch).   

    When it comes to soccer,  it is only  the Akron U team, a traditional national power in the sport, that gets any attention.  (At least it does in Akron....it may get none in Cleveland).  Not one word is ever spoken about "The Crew".  I don't recall ever seeing any "Crew" gear being worn around here.....not even by kids.   Only very, very rarely do I see Bluejackets gear worn. 

  • Isn't there another soccer league? Kind of a minor-league to the MSL? 

    For some reason I thought Pittsburgh might have a team in it?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    Isn't there another soccer league? Kind of a minor-league to the MSL? 

    For some reason I thought Pittsburgh might have a team in it?

    The article you linked mentioned it. The USL or something

  • @hoorta said:

    Not a chance in hell of that happening Gipper. Pretty big uproar Columbus way when there was serious talk the Crew was going to be relocated to another city. Then Haslam bought the team- and there's a nice shiny new $300 million soccer specific stadium under construction.   

    New Colombus Crew Stadium.jpg

    Oh OK I was not aware  that they were building that stadium down there. 

    But, if Jimmy thinks that somehow because he owns a football team in Cleveland, and a soccer team in Columbus that the Cleveland area will all of a sudden become fans of his C-bus soccer team, he is deluding himself.   The opposite WOULD possibly be true....Columbus could (and has to a great extent) been a big Browns town.   But there won't be any chapter of the Crew Backers opening up around here any time soon.   (unless I am totally out of touch).   

    When it comes to soccer,  it is only  the Akron U team, a traditional national power in the sport, that gets any attention.  (At least it does in Akron....it may get none in Cleveland).  Not one word is ever spoken about "The Crew".  I don't recall ever seeing any "Crew" gear being worn around here.....not even by kids.   Only very, very rarely do I see Bluejackets gear worn. 

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    @the-gipper said:

    Oh OK I was not aware  that they were building that stadium down there. 

    But, if Jimmy thinks that somehow because he owns a football team in Cleveland, and a soccer team in Columbus that the Cleveland area will all of a sudden become fans of his C-bus soccer team, he is deluding himself.   The opposite WOULD possibly be true....Columbus could (and has to a great extent) been a big Browns town.   But there won't be any chapter of the Crew Backers opening up around here any time soon.   (unless I am totally out of touch).   

    When it comes to soccer,  it is only  the Akron U team, a traditional national power in the sport, that gets any attention.  (At least it does in Akron....it may get none in Cleveland).  Not one word is ever spoken about "The Crew".  I don't recall ever seeing any "Crew" gear being worn around here.....not even by kids.   Only very, very rarely do I see Bluejackets gear worn. 

    I never heard of UA soccer here in Boardman Ohio in fact there is only some high school soccer reporting in the news.

    YSU did get a nice new soccer field put in 2013 with seating for 200 and room for many more seats.  They did convert the soccer field for football so the SF 49ers to practice on outside when they were in town. I guess that they play soccer on the YSU football field and indoors at the WATTS Center.  Soccer is catching on but is nowhere near what it is for football.

    farmers-national-bank-field.jpg

    Screenshot_2020-03-02_102932.jpg

  • @the-gipper said:

    Oh OK I was not aware  that they were building that stadium down there. 

    But, if Jimmy thinks that somehow because he owns a football team in Cleveland, and a soccer team in Columbus that the Cleveland area will all of a sudden become fans of his C-bus soccer team, he is deluding himself.   The opposite WOULD possibly be true....Columbus could (and has to a great extent) been a big Browns town.   But there won't be any chapter of the Crew Backers opening up around here any time soon.   (unless I am totally out of touch).   

    When it comes to soccer,  it is only  the Akron U team, a traditional national power in the sport, that gets any attention.  (At least it does in Akron....it may get none in Cleveland).  Not one word is ever spoken about "The Crew".  I don't recall ever seeing any "Crew" gear being worn around here.....not even by kids.   Only very, very rarely do I see Bluejackets gear worn. 

    I never heard of UA soccer here in Boardman Ohio in fact there is only some high school soccer reporting in the news.

    YSU did get a nice new soccer field put in 2013 with seating for 200 and room for many more seats.  They did convert the soccer field for football so the SF 49ers to practice on outside when they were in town. I guess that they play soccer on the YSU football field and indoors at the WATTS Center.  Soccer is catching on but is nowhere near what it is for football.

    farmers-national-bank-field.jpg

    Screenshot_2020-03-02_102932.jpg

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper

    @mjp28 said:

    I never heard of UA soccer here in Boardman Ohio in fact there is only some high school soccer reporting in the news.

    YSU did get a nice new soccer field put in 2013 with seating for 200 and room for many more seats.  They did convert the soccer field for football so the SF 49ers to practice on outside when they were in town. I guess that they play soccer on the YSU football field and indoors at the WATTS Center.  Soccer is catching on but is nowhere near what it is for football.

    Get that weak YSU shit  out of here.

    Akron U has won one NCAA Division 1 national Championship, and been runnerup 3 times, plus 2 other "final four" appearances. 

    NCAA Men's Division I Soccer Championship:

    • Winners (1): 2010
    • Runners-up (3): 1986, 2009, 2018
  • @mjp28 said:

    I never heard of UA soccer here in Boardman Ohio in fact there is only some high school soccer reporting in the news.

    YSU did get a nice new soccer field put in 2013 with seating for 200 and room for many more seats.  They did convert the soccer field for football so the SF 49ers to practice on outside when they were in town. I guess that they play soccer on the YSU football field and indoors at the WATTS Center.  Soccer is catching on but is nowhere near what it is for football.

    Get that weak YSU shit  out of here.

    Akron U has won one NCAA Division 1 national Championship, and been runnerup 3 times, plus 2 other "final four" appearances. 

    NCAA Men's Division I Soccer Championship:

    • Winners (1): 2010
    • Runners-up (3): 1986, 2009, 2018
    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    @the-gipper said:

    Get that weak YSU shit  out of here.

    Akron U has won one NCAA Division 1 national Championship, and been runnerup 3 times, plus 2 other "final four" appearances. 

    NCAA Men's Division I Soccer Championship:

    • Winners (1): 2010
    • Runners-up (3): 1986, 2009, 2018

    I guess that the news of Akron's great soccer achievements never made the outside world past Lodi.

    Soccer is still a minor sport like badminton or croquet.      😆

    .........oh I guess there's a reason YSU's new soccer facility only has seating for 200, nobody cares to watch soccer !

  • @the-gipper said:

    Get that weak YSU shit  out of here.

    Akron U has won one NCAA Division 1 national Championship, and been runnerup 3 times, plus 2 other "final four" appearances. 

    NCAA Men's Division I Soccer Championship:

    • Winners (1): 2010
    • Runners-up (3): 1986, 2009, 2018

    I guess that the news of Akron's great soccer achievements never made the outside world past Lodi.

    Soccer is still a minor sport like badminton or croquet.      😆

    .........oh I guess there's a reason YSU's new soccer facility only has seating for 200, nobody cares to watch soccer !

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta

    @mjp28 said:

    I guess that the news of Akron's great soccer achievements never made the outside world past Lodi.

    Soccer is still a minor sport like badminton or croquet.      😆

    .........oh I guess there's a reason YSU's new soccer facility only has seating for 200, nobody cares to watch soccer !

    In some cases, true. In other cases NOT!! Fastest  growing  sport in attendance,  up 50% in the last 4 years. I'd expect another quantum leap in 4 years when USA/Mexico/Canada host the World Cup. FWIW, the Atlanta and Seattle  MLS clubs already outdraw the MLB teams respectively.  If you want to talk about  a sport that's on the way out baseball is it. Tooo boring. If you want to go to  a game drink beer, and take a nap in the sun there's  your  sport.  Z isn't going to  like it,  but the soccer  fags are taking over. Its just  taking a  while for  America to  catch up with the  rest of the world.  

    BTW, YSU may have paltry  attendance  for soccer,  but some colleges  are pulling in  10,000+ per game.