Skip to content

Bold idea that would change the landscape of sports in Cleveland

The Browns Board
355 22 6.5k
  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    Football?

    I thought this thread was about real estate...

  • Football?

    I thought this thread was about real estate...

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    Football?

    I thought this thread was about real estate...

    Multi-tasking.....Football fan experience.   But, yea, real estate seems to be a major factor in that these days. 

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    Well this is kind of funny... there might be a new stadium coming to downtown Cleveland after all.... a soccer stadium. 

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/finance/realestate/odot-to-sell-land-near-progressive-field-including-site-considered-for-soccer-stadium/ar-BB10yzI1

  • Football?

    I thought this thread was about real estate...

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    Football?

    I thought this thread was about real estate...

    I thought it was about wine to match the dead horse!???

  • Well this is kind of funny... there might be a new stadium coming to downtown Cleveland after all.... a soccer stadium. 

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/finance/realestate/odot-to-sell-land-near-progressive-field-including-site-considered-for-soccer-stadium/ar-BB10yzI1

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    Well this is kind of funny... there might be a new stadium coming to downtown Cleveland after all.... a soccer stadium. 

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/finance/realestate/odot-to-sell-land-near-progressive-field-including-site-considered-for-soccer-stadium/ar-BB10yzI1

    Cool.   I think you can probably see that parcel on some of the photos that are here above.

    But....who would play there?   They say a "minor league" soccer team.   Why not an MLS team?

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Well this is kind of funny... there might be a new stadium coming to downtown Cleveland after all.... a soccer stadium. 

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/finance/realestate/odot-to-sell-land-near-progressive-field-including-site-considered-for-soccer-stadium/ar-BB10yzI1

    Cool.   I think you can probably see that parcel on some of the photos that are here above.

    But....who would play there?   They say a "minor league" soccer team.   Why not an MLS team?

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta

    @the-gipper said:

    Cool.   I think you can probably see that parcel on some of the photos that are here above.

    But....who would play there?   They say a "minor league" soccer team.   Why not an MLS team?

    Um, because there's already MLS teams in Columbus and Cincinnati?  and Jimmuh isn't moving the Crew to Cleveland- that's for sure. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Cool.   I think you can probably see that parcel on some of the photos that are here above.

    But....who would play there?   They say a "minor league" soccer team.   Why not an MLS team?

    Um, because there's already MLS teams in Columbus and Cincinnati?  and Jimmuh isn't moving the Crew to Cleveland- that's for sure. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper

    @hoorta said:

    Um, because there's already MLS teams in Columbus and Cincinnati?  and Jimmuh isn't moving the Crew to Cleveland- that's for sure. 

    So, the Minor League cities in this state get the "Major League Soccer team"?  Or why not just call it  Minor League Soccer? 

    The Columbus soccer team only drew an average of like 12,500.    The Cincinnati team drew more, like 27 K per game....because it is brand new.

    Hell, The Force used to get upwards of 20K a game for Indoor Soccer at the Richfield Coliseum.   (of course, that WAS a more entertaining product than the MLS).

    Maybe Jimmy should consider moving that Columbus team to Cleveland....especially if he is going to be building what we have been talking about here....a 2 billion+ sports complex. 

  • @hoorta said:

    Um, because there's already MLS teams in Columbus and Cincinnati?  and Jimmuh isn't moving the Crew to Cleveland- that's for sure. 

    So, the Minor League cities in this state get the "Major League Soccer team"?  Or why not just call it  Minor League Soccer? 

    The Columbus soccer team only drew an average of like 12,500.    The Cincinnati team drew more, like 27 K per game....because it is brand new.

    Hell, The Force used to get upwards of 20K a game for Indoor Soccer at the Richfield Coliseum.   (of course, that WAS a more entertaining product than the MLS).

    Maybe Jimmy should consider moving that Columbus team to Cleveland....especially if he is going to be building what we have been talking about here....a 2 billion+ sports complex. 

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    So, the Minor League cities in this state get the "Major League Soccer team"?  Or why not just call it  Minor League Soccer? 

    The Columbus soccer team only drew an average of like 12,500.    The Cincinnati team drew more, like 27 K per game....because it is brand new.

    Hell, The Force used to get upwards of 20K a game for Indoor Soccer at the Richfield Coliseum.   (of course, that WAS a more entertaining product than the MLS).

    Maybe Jimmy should consider moving that Columbus team to Cleveland....especially if he is going to be building what we have been talking about here....a 2 billion+ sports complex. 

    Not a chance in hell of that happening Gipper. Pretty big uproar Columbus way when there was serious talk the Crew was going to be relocated to another city. Then Haslam bought the team- and there's a nice shiny new $300 million soccer specific stadium under construction.   

    New Colombus Crew Stadium.jpg

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    Isn't there another soccer league? Kind of a minor-league to the MSL? 

    For some reason I thought Pittsburgh might have a team in it?

  • @the-gipper said:

    So, the Minor League cities in this state get the "Major League Soccer team"?  Or why not just call it  Minor League Soccer? 

    The Columbus soccer team only drew an average of like 12,500.    The Cincinnati team drew more, like 27 K per game....because it is brand new.

    Hell, The Force used to get upwards of 20K a game for Indoor Soccer at the Richfield Coliseum.   (of course, that WAS a more entertaining product than the MLS).

    Maybe Jimmy should consider moving that Columbus team to Cleveland....especially if he is going to be building what we have been talking about here....a 2 billion+ sports complex. 

    Not a chance in hell of that happening Gipper. Pretty big uproar Columbus way when there was serious talk the Crew was going to be relocated to another city. Then Haslam bought the team- and there's a nice shiny new $300 million soccer specific stadium under construction.   

    New Colombus Crew Stadium.jpg

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper

    @hoorta said:

    Not a chance in hell of that happening Gipper. Pretty big uproar Columbus way when there was serious talk the Crew was going to be relocated to another city. Then Haslam bought the team- and there's a nice shiny new $300 million soccer specific stadium under construction.   

    New Colombus Crew Stadium.jpg

    Oh OK I was not aware  that they were building that stadium down there. 

    But, if Jimmy thinks that somehow because he owns a football team in Cleveland, and a soccer team in Columbus that the Cleveland area will all of a sudden become fans of his C-bus soccer team, he is deluding himself.   The opposite WOULD possibly be true....Columbus could (and has to a great extent) been a big Browns town.   But there won't be any chapter of the Crew Backers opening up around here any time soon.   (unless I am totally out of touch).   

    When it comes to soccer,  it is only  the Akron U team, a traditional national power in the sport, that gets any attention.  (At least it does in Akron....it may get none in Cleveland).  Not one word is ever spoken about "The Crew".  I don't recall ever seeing any "Crew" gear being worn around here.....not even by kids.   Only very, very rarely do I see Bluejackets gear worn. 

  • Isn't there another soccer league? Kind of a minor-league to the MSL? 

    For some reason I thought Pittsburgh might have a team in it?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    Isn't there another soccer league? Kind of a minor-league to the MSL? 

    For some reason I thought Pittsburgh might have a team in it?

    The article you linked mentioned it. The USL or something

  • @hoorta said:

    Not a chance in hell of that happening Gipper. Pretty big uproar Columbus way when there was serious talk the Crew was going to be relocated to another city. Then Haslam bought the team- and there's a nice shiny new $300 million soccer specific stadium under construction.   

    New Colombus Crew Stadium.jpg

    Oh OK I was not aware  that they were building that stadium down there. 

    But, if Jimmy thinks that somehow because he owns a football team in Cleveland, and a soccer team in Columbus that the Cleveland area will all of a sudden become fans of his C-bus soccer team, he is deluding himself.   The opposite WOULD possibly be true....Columbus could (and has to a great extent) been a big Browns town.   But there won't be any chapter of the Crew Backers opening up around here any time soon.   (unless I am totally out of touch).   

    When it comes to soccer,  it is only  the Akron U team, a traditional national power in the sport, that gets any attention.  (At least it does in Akron....it may get none in Cleveland).  Not one word is ever spoken about "The Crew".  I don't recall ever seeing any "Crew" gear being worn around here.....not even by kids.   Only very, very rarely do I see Bluejackets gear worn. 

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    @the-gipper said:

    Oh OK I was not aware  that they were building that stadium down there. 

    But, if Jimmy thinks that somehow because he owns a football team in Cleveland, and a soccer team in Columbus that the Cleveland area will all of a sudden become fans of his C-bus soccer team, he is deluding himself.   The opposite WOULD possibly be true....Columbus could (and has to a great extent) been a big Browns town.   But there won't be any chapter of the Crew Backers opening up around here any time soon.   (unless I am totally out of touch).   

    When it comes to soccer,  it is only  the Akron U team, a traditional national power in the sport, that gets any attention.  (At least it does in Akron....it may get none in Cleveland).  Not one word is ever spoken about "The Crew".  I don't recall ever seeing any "Crew" gear being worn around here.....not even by kids.   Only very, very rarely do I see Bluejackets gear worn. 

    I never heard of UA soccer here in Boardman Ohio in fact there is only some high school soccer reporting in the news.

    YSU did get a nice new soccer field put in 2013 with seating for 200 and room for many more seats.  They did convert the soccer field for football so the SF 49ers to practice on outside when they were in town. I guess that they play soccer on the YSU football field and indoors at the WATTS Center.  Soccer is catching on but is nowhere near what it is for football.

    farmers-national-bank-field.jpg

    Screenshot_2020-03-02_102932.jpg

  • @the-gipper said:

    Oh OK I was not aware  that they were building that stadium down there. 

    But, if Jimmy thinks that somehow because he owns a football team in Cleveland, and a soccer team in Columbus that the Cleveland area will all of a sudden become fans of his C-bus soccer team, he is deluding himself.   The opposite WOULD possibly be true....Columbus could (and has to a great extent) been a big Browns town.   But there won't be any chapter of the Crew Backers opening up around here any time soon.   (unless I am totally out of touch).   

    When it comes to soccer,  it is only  the Akron U team, a traditional national power in the sport, that gets any attention.  (At least it does in Akron....it may get none in Cleveland).  Not one word is ever spoken about "The Crew".  I don't recall ever seeing any "Crew" gear being worn around here.....not even by kids.   Only very, very rarely do I see Bluejackets gear worn. 

    I never heard of UA soccer here in Boardman Ohio in fact there is only some high school soccer reporting in the news.

    YSU did get a nice new soccer field put in 2013 with seating for 200 and room for many more seats.  They did convert the soccer field for football so the SF 49ers to practice on outside when they were in town. I guess that they play soccer on the YSU football field and indoors at the WATTS Center.  Soccer is catching on but is nowhere near what it is for football.

    farmers-national-bank-field.jpg

    Screenshot_2020-03-02_102932.jpg

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper

    @mjp28 said:

    I never heard of UA soccer here in Boardman Ohio in fact there is only some high school soccer reporting in the news.

    YSU did get a nice new soccer field put in 2013 with seating for 200 and room for many more seats.  They did convert the soccer field for football so the SF 49ers to practice on outside when they were in town. I guess that they play soccer on the YSU football field and indoors at the WATTS Center.  Soccer is catching on but is nowhere near what it is for football.

    Get that weak YSU shit  out of here.

    Akron U has won one NCAA Division 1 national Championship, and been runnerup 3 times, plus 2 other "final four" appearances. 

    NCAA Men's Division I Soccer Championship:

    • Winners (1): 2010
    • Runners-up (3): 1986, 2009, 2018
  • @mjp28 said:

    I never heard of UA soccer here in Boardman Ohio in fact there is only some high school soccer reporting in the news.

    YSU did get a nice new soccer field put in 2013 with seating for 200 and room for many more seats.  They did convert the soccer field for football so the SF 49ers to practice on outside when they were in town. I guess that they play soccer on the YSU football field and indoors at the WATTS Center.  Soccer is catching on but is nowhere near what it is for football.

    Get that weak YSU shit  out of here.

    Akron U has won one NCAA Division 1 national Championship, and been runnerup 3 times, plus 2 other "final four" appearances. 

    NCAA Men's Division I Soccer Championship:

    • Winners (1): 2010
    • Runners-up (3): 1986, 2009, 2018
    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    @the-gipper said:

    Get that weak YSU shit  out of here.

    Akron U has won one NCAA Division 1 national Championship, and been runnerup 3 times, plus 2 other "final four" appearances. 

    NCAA Men's Division I Soccer Championship:

    • Winners (1): 2010
    • Runners-up (3): 1986, 2009, 2018

    I guess that the news of Akron's great soccer achievements never made the outside world past Lodi.

    Soccer is still a minor sport like badminton or croquet.      😆

    .........oh I guess there's a reason YSU's new soccer facility only has seating for 200, nobody cares to watch soccer !

  • @the-gipper said:

    Get that weak YSU shit  out of here.

    Akron U has won one NCAA Division 1 national Championship, and been runnerup 3 times, plus 2 other "final four" appearances. 

    NCAA Men's Division I Soccer Championship:

    • Winners (1): 2010
    • Runners-up (3): 1986, 2009, 2018

    I guess that the news of Akron's great soccer achievements never made the outside world past Lodi.

    Soccer is still a minor sport like badminton or croquet.      😆

    .........oh I guess there's a reason YSU's new soccer facility only has seating for 200, nobody cares to watch soccer !

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta

    @mjp28 said:

    I guess that the news of Akron's great soccer achievements never made the outside world past Lodi.

    Soccer is still a minor sport like badminton or croquet.      😆

    .........oh I guess there's a reason YSU's new soccer facility only has seating for 200, nobody cares to watch soccer !

    In some cases, true. In other cases NOT!! Fastest  growing  sport in attendance,  up 50% in the last 4 years. I'd expect another quantum leap in 4 years when USA/Mexico/Canada host the World Cup. FWIW, the Atlanta and Seattle  MLS clubs already outdraw the MLB teams respectively.  If you want to talk about  a sport that's on the way out baseball is it. Tooo boring. If you want to go to  a game drink beer, and take a nap in the sun there's  your  sport.  Z isn't going to  like it,  but the soccer  fags are taking over. Its just  taking a  while for  America to  catch up with the  rest of the world.  

    BTW, YSU may have paltry  attendance  for soccer,  but some colleges  are pulling in  10,000+ per game. 

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    It's kind of hard to find good soccer attendance information but here's one from the NCAA:  http://www.ncaa.org/championships/statistics/2019-mens-soccer-record-book

    And D-1 numbers:

    Screenshot_2020-03-02_135349.jpg

  • It's kind of hard to find good soccer attendance information but here's one from the NCAA:  http://www.ncaa.org/championships/statistics/2019-mens-soccer-record-book

    And D-1 numbers:

    Screenshot_2020-03-02_135349.jpg

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta

    @mjp28 said:

    It's kind of hard to find good soccer attendance information but here's one from the NCAA:  http://www.ncaa.org/championships/statistics/2019-mens-soccer-record-book

    And D-1 numbers:

    Screenshot_2020-03-02_135349.jpg

    Yeah- that's a far cry from FBS football, but it's not insignificant. Thing is, on the high school level soccer is already king- at least in participation. That's eventually going to translate into viewership 5-10 years down the road. If you have the interest, there's plenty of soccer to be watched already. English Premier League, and more.  

    PS- regarding baseball- those insane salaries teams are handing out are just one more reason it's killing to sport. Decent seats are starting to rival NFL prices- and that's for 81 home games, not 8. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Get that weak YSU shit  out of here.

    Akron U has won one NCAA Division 1 national Championship, and been runnerup 3 times, plus 2 other "final four" appearances. 

    NCAA Men's Division I Soccer Championship:

    • Winners (1): 2010
    • Runners-up (3): 1986, 2009, 2018

    I guess that the news of Akron's great soccer achievements never made the outside world past Lodi.

    Soccer is still a minor sport like badminton or croquet.      😆

    .........oh I guess there's a reason YSU's new soccer facility only has seating for 200, nobody cares to watch soccer !

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    I guess that the news of Akron's great soccer achievements never made the outside world past Lodi.

    Soccer is still a minor sport like badminton or croquet.      😆

    .........oh I guess there's a reason YSU's new soccer facility only has seating for 200, nobody cares to watch soccer !

    You are not very good at geography.....Lodi is west of Akron.  You are east of Akron.Maybe it just that Youngstown is a media black hole and nothing west of Ravenna gets in there.    

    Akron is a division 1 national power, even  if YOU have had your head in the sand, or where the sun don't shine.  Their soccer stadium seats  6000.   If they had to they could play in Infocision with 30K.      Is YSU even a D-1 program?  I mean...right...why would 200 people want to come watch their games?

  • @mjp28 said:

    I guess that the news of Akron's great soccer achievements never made the outside world past Lodi.

    Soccer is still a minor sport like badminton or croquet.      😆

    .........oh I guess there's a reason YSU's new soccer facility only has seating for 200, nobody cares to watch soccer !

    In some cases, true. In other cases NOT!! Fastest  growing  sport in attendance,  up 50% in the last 4 years. I'd expect another quantum leap in 4 years when USA/Mexico/Canada host the World Cup. FWIW, the Atlanta and Seattle  MLS clubs already outdraw the MLB teams respectively.  If you want to talk about  a sport that's on the way out baseball is it. Tooo boring. If you want to go to  a game drink beer, and take a nap in the sun there's  your  sport.  Z isn't going to  like it,  but the soccer  fags are taking over. Its just  taking a  while for  America to  catch up with the  rest of the world.  

    BTW, YSU may have paltry  attendance  for soccer,  but some colleges  are pulling in  10,000+ per game. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @hoorta said:

    In some cases, true. In other cases NOT!! Fastest  growing  sport in attendance,  up 50% in the last 4 years. I'd expect another quantum leap in 4 years when USA/Mexico/Canada host the World Cup. FWIW, the Atlanta and Seattle  MLS clubs already outdraw the MLB teams respectively.  If you want to talk about  a sport that's on the way out baseball is it. Tooo boring. If you want to go to  a game drink beer, and take a nap in the sun there's  your  sport.  Z isn't going to  like it,  but the soccer  fags are taking over. Its just  taking a  while for  America to  catch up with the  rest of the world.  

    BTW, YSU may have paltry  attendance  for soccer,  but some colleges  are pulling in  10,000+ per game. 

    You are being fatuous.  MLB plays 162 game.     MLS is like  football....it only plays a few games..    30 maybe?  15 home games?   So,  one or two MLS teams outdraw their MLB counterparts.  If MLS were as popular as you think...then EVERY MLS team would be outdrawing their MLB counterparts by a vast amount....like the NFL does....since there are such limited opportunities to see the teams.  

    MLB:    average attendance of 30,042 (on 2,419 dates for a total of 72,670,423). 

    MLS:  average attendance of 21,692,   The total attendance of 7,375,144.  

    Call us when soccer gets 10% of what baseball gets.    Maybe that will be this year.....

    Hell....in some of the high schools around here, (at least in my local school district)   Lacrosse is taking over for soccer

  • @the-gipper said:

    Oh OK I was not aware  that they were building that stadium down there. 

    But, if Jimmy thinks that somehow because he owns a football team in Cleveland, and a soccer team in Columbus that the Cleveland area will all of a sudden become fans of his C-bus soccer team, he is deluding himself.   The opposite WOULD possibly be true....Columbus could (and has to a great extent) been a big Browns town.   But there won't be any chapter of the Crew Backers opening up around here any time soon.   (unless I am totally out of touch).   

    When it comes to soccer,  it is only  the Akron U team, a traditional national power in the sport, that gets any attention.  (At least it does in Akron....it may get none in Cleveland).  Not one word is ever spoken about "The Crew".  I don't recall ever seeing any "Crew" gear being worn around here.....not even by kids.   Only very, very rarely do I see Bluejackets gear worn. 

    I never heard of UA soccer here in Boardman Ohio in fact there is only some high school soccer reporting in the news.

    YSU did get a nice new soccer field put in 2013 with seating for 200 and room for many more seats.  They did convert the soccer field for football so the SF 49ers to practice on outside when they were in town. I guess that they play soccer on the YSU football field and indoors at the WATTS Center.  Soccer is catching on but is nowhere near what it is for football.

    farmers-national-bank-field.jpg

    Screenshot_2020-03-02_102932.jpg

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    YSU did get a nice new soccer field put in 2013 with seating for 200

    Have they had to expand it since? 🙂