Skip to content

Tour's PreCombine Mock 1.0

The Browns Board
21 10 775
  • I've done a ton of sims on three different sites. Each of the prospects listed by each pick have made it to that pick on at least one site. I've watched videos on most of the listed prospects focusing on those in the first four rounds.

    Here's my summary with the blow-by-blow rationales to follow...

    1.10 ( 10) - Andrew Thomas, OT Georgia
    2.09 ( 41) - Ashtyn Davis, S California
    3.10 ( 74) - Davon Hamilton, IDL Ohio State
    3.26 ( 90) - Adam Trautman, TE Dayton
    4.09 (105) - Shane Lemieux, IOL Oregon
    6.08 (167) - A.J. Green, CB Oklahoma State
    7.30 (221) - Benito Jones, IDL Ole Miss

    Prospects in boldface have been available most of the sim runs I've made.

    Pick 1.10 - Andrew Thomas (OT-UGA)/Jedrick Wills (OT-BAMA) (assuming Burrows and Young are off the board... a pretty safe assumption)

    • Wills was my top choice until recently when I looked at more of Thomas' work. While now I have Thomas more than a little higher than Wills, I still consider Wills worthy of the pick.
    • If both are gone, then I'd consider IDLs, Brown and Kinlaw, weighing their value vs. a trade down where I'd position for OT, Josh Jones, who while raw is my #3 OT.... plus I should pick up a 2nd Rounder.
    • ATL has the 16th pick and they have made noise about being interested in moving up for Defensive help.

    Pick 2.09 - Zack Baun (OLB-Wis)/Ross Blacklock (IDL-TCU)/Ashtyn Davis (FS - Cal)

    • Baun is my OLB in this draft... good size... good pass/run balance.. great motor; I see him making it to this pick as less than a 50/50 proposition.
    • Blacklock looks like a helluva consolation prize in lieu of Brown or Kinlaw. Unfortunately him dropping this far is unlikely.
    • Next to McKinney, who likely goes in the 1st, Davis is my fav FS in this Draft. He's long... fast... and is a hitter. He has a shot to be the fastest Safety at the Combine. Should be here and is a good value here. So why not have him higher in this cluster? The falloff at the other positions to the next alternatives is greater.

    Pick 3.10 - Malik Harrison (MLB-tOSU)/Troy Dye (OLB-Oregon)/Davon Hamilton (IDL-Tosu)/Adam Trautman (TE-Dayton)/Kyle Dugger (SS-LenoirR)

    • This is pretty much the last stop for drafting playable LBs in this class (there is an interesting, Day-3, project pick). My late developing interest in keeping Schobert is because he could move outside were Malik the pick or stay inside, if it were Troy. Malik is the higher floor, safer choice... Troy the more interesting upside pick.
    • Davon's stock has been on the rise. In case we have not drafted an IDL yet, I add him here as the last quality IDL I've seen. (Again there is a developmental, Day 3 prospect.)
    • Hard to know how high Trautman will go. While I like him I would not take him earlier due to low floor. Plus again I have a developmental TE in my pocket.
    • Dugger... along with Trautman... is this Draft's "small school" heart-throb. Athleticism overcomes "competition level" questions. High ceiling...

    Pick 3.26 - Davon Hamilton (IDL-Tosu)/Adam Trautman (TE-Dayton)/Kyle Dugger (SS-LenoirR)/Netane Muti (IOL-FresnoSt.)/Shane Lemieux (IOL-Oregon)/Brandon Jones (SS-tu)

    • Three repeats here in case I landed my LB and any of the three slide to this pick.
    • Assuming he is medically cleared Muti is the first alternative here. When healthy he is arguably the best IOL in the Draft for any blocking scheme, but... he's missed a lot of time.
    • Shane is not Netane, but he's made to play in the wide ZBS we are going to feature in 2020. He's the last viable IOL starter I see in this draft.
    • Brandon Jones is a very good, box SS prospect. Higher floor, but lower ceiling than Dugger.

    Pick 4.09 - Netane Muti (IOL-FresnoSt.)/Shane Lemieux (IOL-Oregon)/Brandon Jones (SS-tu)/Mathew Peart (OT-UConn)

    • .. again three repeats.
    • Matt Peart looks like a decent RT prospect. If we whiffed on my top 3 OTs, then he'd be a good choice here.
    • This is the last stop for a viable starter in our draft. It's two full rounds before we pick again.

    Pick 6.08 - AJ Green (CB-OK St.)/Antoine Brooks, Jr. (SS-Maryland)/William Gay, Jr. (OLB, MissSt.)

    • Green is a nice, tall (6'1) CB prospect worth taking late. Needs to get stronger for press coverage and run support, but has coverage skill due to fluid hips.
    • Brooks is a tough, box SS worth a look if still need a Safety and Green is gone.
    • Gay is a very raw athlete. Good size (6'2, 235) and speed. I've seen him sim'd as high as Round 2... don't see a rise anywhere near that, but he is interesting.

    Pick 7.30 - Benito Jones (IDL-OleMiss)/Jordan Fuller (SS-tOSU)

    • Benito impressed me when I saw him in a Ole Miss game this past season. Enough so that he is my only repeat position taken. Tough against the run and can keep LBs clean. He add nice DL depth.
    • Fuller might never start on D, but would add depth and should shine on STs.
    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @tour2ma said:

    I've done a ton of sims on three different sites. Each of the prospects listed by each pick have made it to that pick on at least one site. I've watched videos on most of the listed prospects focusing on those in the first four rounds.

    Here's my summary with the blow-by-blow rationales to follow...

    1.10 ( 10) - Andrew Thomas, OT Georgia
    2.09 ( 41) - Ashtyn Davis, S California
    3.10 ( 74) - Davon Hamilton, IDL Ohio State
    3.26 ( 90) - Adam Trautman, TE Dayton
    4.09 (105) - Shane Lemieux, IOL Oregon
    6.08 (167) - A.J. Green, CB Oklahoma State
    7.30 (221) - Benito Jones, IDL Ole Miss

    Prospects in boldface have been available most of the sim runs I've made.

    Pick 1.10 - Andrew Thomas (OT-UGA)/Jedrick Wills (OT-BAMA) (assuming Burrows and Young are off the board... a pretty safe assumption)

    • Wills was my top choice until recently when I looked at more of Thomas' work. While now I have Thomas more than a little higher than Wills, I still consider Wills worthy of the pick.
    • If both are gone, then I'd consider IDLs, Brown and Kinlaw, weighing their value vs. a trade down where I'd position for OT, Josh Jones, who while raw is my #3 OT.... plus I should pick up a 2nd Rounder.
    • ATL has the 16th pick and they have made noise about being interested in moving up for Defensive help.

    Pick 2.09 - Zack Baun (OLB-Wis)/Ross Blacklock (IDL-TCU)/Ashtyn Davis (FS - Cal)

    • Baun is my OLB in this draft... good size... good pass/run balance.. great motor; I see him making it to this pick as less than a 50/50 proposition.
    • Blacklock looks like a helluva consolation prize in lieu of Brown or Kinlaw. Unfortunately him dropping this far is unlikely.
    • Next to McKinney, who likely goes in the 1st, Davis is my fav FS in this Draft. He's long... fast... and is a hitter. He has a shot to be the fastest Safety at the Combine. Should be here and is a good value here. So why not have him higher in this cluster? The falloff at the other positions to the next alternatives is greater.

    Pick 3.10 - Malik Harrison (MLB-tOSU)/Troy Dye (OLB-Oregon)/Davon Hamilton (IDL-Tosu)/Adam Trautman (TE-Dayton)/Kyle Dugger (SS-LenoirR)

    • This is pretty much the last stop for drafting playable LBs in this class (there is an interesting, Day-3, project pick). My late developing interest in keeping Schobert is because he could move outside were Malik the pick or stay inside, if it were Troy. Malik is the higher floor, safer choice... Troy the more interesting upside pick.
    • Davon's stock has been on the rise. In case we have not drafted an IDL yet, I add him here as the last quality IDL I've seen. (Again there is a developmental, Day 3 prospect.)
    • Hard to know how high Trautman will go. While I like him I would not take him earlier due to low floor. Plus again I have a developmental TE in my pocket.
    • Dugger... along with Trautman... is this Draft's "small school" heart-throb. Athleticism overcomes "competition level" questions. High ceiling...

    Pick 3.26 - Davon Hamilton (IDL-Tosu)/Adam Trautman (TE-Dayton)/Kyle Dugger (SS-LenoirR)/Netane Muti (IOL-FresnoSt.)/Shane Lemieux (IOL-Oregon)/Brandon Jones (SS-tu)

    • Three repeats here in case I landed my LB and any of the three slide to this pick.
    • Assuming he is medically cleared Muti is the first alternative here. When healthy he is arguably the best IOL in the Draft for any blocking scheme, but... he's missed a lot of time.
    • Shane is not Netane, but he's made to play in the wide ZBS we are going to feature in 2020. He's the last viable IOL starter I see in this draft.
    • Brandon Jones is a very good, box SS prospect. Higher floor, but lower ceiling than Dugger.

    Pick 4.09 - Netane Muti (IOL-FresnoSt.)/Shane Lemieux (IOL-Oregon)/Brandon Jones (SS-tu)/Mathew Peart (OT-UConn)

    • .. again three repeats.
    • Matt Peart looks like a decent RT prospect. If we whiffed on my top 3 OTs, then he'd be a good choice here.
    • This is the last stop for a viable starter in our draft. It's two full rounds before we pick again.

    Pick 6.08 - AJ Green (CB-OK St.)/Antoine Brooks, Jr. (SS-Maryland)/William Gay, Jr. (OLB, MissSt.)

    • Green is a nice, tall (6'1) CB prospect worth taking late. Needs to get stronger for press coverage and run support, but has coverage skill due to fluid hips.
    • Brooks is a tough, box SS worth a look if still need a Safety and Green is gone.
    • Gay is a very raw athlete. Good size (6'2, 235) and speed. I've seen him sim'd as high as Round 2... don't see a rise anywhere near that, but he is interesting.

    Pick 7.30 - Benito Jones (IDL-OleMiss)/Jordan Fuller (SS-tOSU)

    • Benito impressed me when I saw him in a Ole Miss game this past season. Enough so that he is my only repeat position taken. Tough against the run and can keep LBs clean. He add nice DL depth.
    • Fuller might never start on D, but would add depth and should shine on STs.

    Since I took the Browns in our Mock Draft.....I will keep your thread on dial to consult with it.

    Are you going to take a couple of teams?  We are down to 6 pairings. 

  • @tour2ma said:

    I've done a ton of sims on three different sites. Each of the prospects listed by each pick have made it to that pick on at least one site. I've watched videos on most of the listed prospects focusing on those in the first four rounds.

    Here's my summary with the blow-by-blow rationales to follow...

    1.10 ( 10) - Andrew Thomas, OT Georgia
    2.09 ( 41) - Ashtyn Davis, S California
    3.10 ( 74) - Davon Hamilton, IDL Ohio State
    3.26 ( 90) - Adam Trautman, TE Dayton
    4.09 (105) - Shane Lemieux, IOL Oregon
    6.08 (167) - A.J. Green, CB Oklahoma State
    7.30 (221) - Benito Jones, IDL Ole Miss

    Prospects in boldface have been available most of the sim runs I've made.

    Pick 1.10 - Andrew Thomas (OT-UGA)/Jedrick Wills (OT-BAMA) (assuming Burrows and Young are off the board... a pretty safe assumption)

    • Wills was my top choice until recently when I looked at more of Thomas' work. While now I have Thomas more than a little higher than Wills, I still consider Wills worthy of the pick.
    • If both are gone, then I'd consider IDLs, Brown and Kinlaw, weighing their value vs. a trade down where I'd position for OT, Josh Jones, who while raw is my #3 OT.... plus I should pick up a 2nd Rounder.
    • ATL has the 16th pick and they have made noise about being interested in moving up for Defensive help.

    Pick 2.09 - Zack Baun (OLB-Wis)/Ross Blacklock (IDL-TCU)/Ashtyn Davis (FS - Cal)

    • Baun is my OLB in this draft... good size... good pass/run balance.. great motor; I see him making it to this pick as less than a 50/50 proposition.
    • Blacklock looks like a helluva consolation prize in lieu of Brown or Kinlaw. Unfortunately him dropping this far is unlikely.
    • Next to McKinney, who likely goes in the 1st, Davis is my fav FS in this Draft. He's long... fast... and is a hitter. He has a shot to be the fastest Safety at the Combine. Should be here and is a good value here. So why not have him higher in this cluster? The falloff at the other positions to the next alternatives is greater.

    Pick 3.10 - Malik Harrison (MLB-tOSU)/Troy Dye (OLB-Oregon)/Davon Hamilton (IDL-Tosu)/Adam Trautman (TE-Dayton)/Kyle Dugger (SS-LenoirR)

    • This is pretty much the last stop for drafting playable LBs in this class (there is an interesting, Day-3, project pick). My late developing interest in keeping Schobert is because he could move outside were Malik the pick or stay inside, if it were Troy. Malik is the higher floor, safer choice... Troy the more interesting upside pick.
    • Davon's stock has been on the rise. In case we have not drafted an IDL yet, I add him here as the last quality IDL I've seen. (Again there is a developmental, Day 3 prospect.)
    • Hard to know how high Trautman will go. While I like him I would not take him earlier due to low floor. Plus again I have a developmental TE in my pocket.
    • Dugger... along with Trautman... is this Draft's "small school" heart-throb. Athleticism overcomes "competition level" questions. High ceiling...

    Pick 3.26 - Davon Hamilton (IDL-Tosu)/Adam Trautman (TE-Dayton)/Kyle Dugger (SS-LenoirR)/Netane Muti (IOL-FresnoSt.)/Shane Lemieux (IOL-Oregon)/Brandon Jones (SS-tu)

    • Three repeats here in case I landed my LB and any of the three slide to this pick.
    • Assuming he is medically cleared Muti is the first alternative here. When healthy he is arguably the best IOL in the Draft for any blocking scheme, but... he's missed a lot of time.
    • Shane is not Netane, but he's made to play in the wide ZBS we are going to feature in 2020. He's the last viable IOL starter I see in this draft.
    • Brandon Jones is a very good, box SS prospect. Higher floor, but lower ceiling than Dugger.

    Pick 4.09 - Netane Muti (IOL-FresnoSt.)/Shane Lemieux (IOL-Oregon)/Brandon Jones (SS-tu)/Mathew Peart (OT-UConn)

    • .. again three repeats.
    • Matt Peart looks like a decent RT prospect. If we whiffed on my top 3 OTs, then he'd be a good choice here.
    • This is the last stop for a viable starter in our draft. It's two full rounds before we pick again.

    Pick 6.08 - AJ Green (CB-OK St.)/Antoine Brooks, Jr. (SS-Maryland)/William Gay, Jr. (OLB, MissSt.)

    • Green is a nice, tall (6'1) CB prospect worth taking late. Needs to get stronger for press coverage and run support, but has coverage skill due to fluid hips.
    • Brooks is a tough, box SS worth a look if still need a Safety and Green is gone.
    • Gay is a very raw athlete. Good size (6'2, 235) and speed. I've seen him sim'd as high as Round 2... don't see a rise anywhere near that, but he is interesting.

    Pick 7.30 - Benito Jones (IDL-OleMiss)/Jordan Fuller (SS-tOSU)

    • Benito impressed me when I saw him in a Ole Miss game this past season. Enough so that he is my only repeat position taken. Tough against the run and can keep LBs clean. He add nice DL depth.
    • Fuller might never start on D, but would add depth and should shine on STs.

    Since I took the Browns in our Mock Draft.....I will keep your thread on dial to consult with it.

    Are you going to take a couple of teams?  We are down to 6 pairings. 

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @the-gipper said:

    Since I took the Browns in our Mock Draft.....I will keep your thread on dial to consult with it.

    Are you going to take a couple of teams?  We are down to 6 pairings. 

    Too much going on in March to commit to participating this year.

  • 40 don't mean shit when the cone is that good.

    edit:  That's what she said.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @tiamat63 said:

    40 don't mean shit when the cone is that good.

    edit:  That's what she said.

    Have to pull  for the local kid from Dayton . Once in a while you can get a  steal. Though  low third round  can hardly be called  that. 

  • hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #15

    And just to rain on the wonderfulness of our new front office, Charlie Campbell of Walter Football weighs in on our first round pick....   

    "Cleveland owner Jimmy Haslam enjoyed going 1-31 so much that he brought back Andrew Berry to help reproduce that magic with holdover fraud Paul Depodesta. Thus, Cleveland will shy away from drafting good football players like Denzel Ward or Nick Chubb in favor of prospects who score well in analytics. Fortunately for their fans, the Browns may not be able to screw up their first-round pick if they draft one of the top three offensive tackles, as Andrew Thomas, Mekhi Becton and Jedrick Wills are all safe picks to be good pros."

  • And just to rain on the wonderfulness of our new front office, Charlie Campbell of Walter Football weighs in on our first round pick....   

    "Cleveland owner Jimmy Haslam enjoyed going 1-31 so much that he brought back Andrew Berry to help reproduce that magic with holdover fraud Paul Depodesta. Thus, Cleveland will shy away from drafting good football players like Denzel Ward or Nick Chubb in favor of prospects who score well in analytics. Fortunately for their fans, the Browns may not be able to screw up their first-round pick if they draft one of the top three offensive tackles, as Andrew Thomas, Mekhi Becton and Jedrick Wills are all safe picks to be good pros."

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @hoorta said:

    And just to rain on the wonderfulness of our new front office, Charlie Campbell of Walter Football weighs in on our first round pick....   

    "Cleveland owner Jimmy Haslam enjoyed going 1-31 so much that he brought back Andrew Berry to help reproduce that magic with holdover fraud Paul Depodesta. Thus, Cleveland will shy away from drafting good football players like Denzel Ward or Nick Chubb in favor of prospects who score well in analytics. Fortunately for their fans, the Browns may not be able to screw up their first-round pick if they draft one of the top three offensive tackles, as Andrew Thomas, Mekhi Becton and Jedrick Wills are all safe picks to be good pros."

    Unfortunately for Browns fans, they could do a trade down that gets us none of those players, but another Corey Coleman.

  • And just to rain on the wonderfulness of our new front office, Charlie Campbell of Walter Football weighs in on our first round pick....   

    "Cleveland owner Jimmy Haslam enjoyed going 1-31 so much that he brought back Andrew Berry to help reproduce that magic with holdover fraud Paul Depodesta. Thus, Cleveland will shy away from drafting good football players like Denzel Ward or Nick Chubb in favor of prospects who score well in analytics. Fortunately for their fans, the Browns may not be able to screw up their first-round pick if they draft one of the top three offensive tackles, as Andrew Thomas, Mekhi Becton and Jedrick Wills are all safe picks to be good pros."

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #17

    @hoorta said:

    And just to rain on the wonderfulness of our new front office, Charlie Campbell of Walter Football weighs in on our first round pick....   

    Fortunately for their fans, the Browns may not be able to screw up their first-round pick if they draft one of the top three offensive tackles, as Andrew Thomas, Mekhi Becton and Jedrick Wills are all safe picks to be good pros."

    Sure we can screw this up... 1) The Jets plans are to jump ahead of us from #11 to get their choice of Tackles...4 of the 5 Jets OL *starters* are all FA's but their RG.. 2) #14 TB-- Both RT's are FA's & their fans are targeting Wills or Wirfs screaming to move up.It's both teams primary needs as we speak, like ours..Can Gettelman pass on a tackle if Simmons and or Okudah is setting there at #4?  If Berry wants to speak about being aggressive in both FA & Draft? Show We.. starting at pick #10...?  

  • And just to rain on the wonderfulness of our new front office, Charlie Campbell of Walter Football weighs in on our first round pick....   

    "Cleveland owner Jimmy Haslam enjoyed going 1-31 so much that he brought back Andrew Berry to help reproduce that magic with holdover fraud Paul Depodesta. Thus, Cleveland will shy away from drafting good football players like Denzel Ward or Nick Chubb in favor of prospects who score well in analytics. Fortunately for their fans, the Browns may not be able to screw up their first-round pick if they draft one of the top three offensive tackles, as Andrew Thomas, Mekhi Becton and Jedrick Wills are all safe picks to be good pros."

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @hoorta said:

    And just to rain on the wonderfulness of our new front office, Charlie Campbell of Walter Football weighs in on our first round pick....   

    "Cleveland owner Jimmy Haslam enjoyed going 1-31 so much that he brought back Andrew Berry to help reproduce that magic with holdover fraud Paul Depodesta. Thus, Cleveland will shy away from drafting good football players like Denzel Ward or Nick Chubb in favor of prospects who score well in analytics. Fortunately for their fans, the Browns may not be able to screw up their first-round pick if they draft one of the top three offensive tackles, as Andrew Thomas, Mekhi Becton and Jedrick Wills are all safe picks to be good pros."

    Damn, even I think that is a harsh assessment of the current front office... ?

  • @tiamat63 said:

    40 don't mean shit when the cone is that good.

    edit:  That's what she said.

    Have to pull  for the local kid from Dayton . Once in a while you can get a  steal. Though  low third round  can hardly be called  that. 

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @hoorta said:

    Have to pull  for the local kid from Dayton . Once in a while you can get a  steal. Though  low third round  can hardly be called  that. 

    Why not? Happens all the time, h... even at lower picks.

    Prime example... George Kittle, taken in the 5th and now considered one of the top three TEs in the league.

    Did I mention I had him? 😉

    @tour2ma said:

    There are too many (TE) prospects with blocking and receiving skills to not take one... starting with OJH at 12 through Kittle likely somewhere on Day 3.

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by Unsympathetic
    #20

    The best 2 tackles in Browns history will be 2 dudes with a first name for a last name, and their actual first names are 2 of the most common names in the country.  [Joe and Andrew Thomas]

    So we've got that going for us..

  • The best 2 tackles in Browns history will be 2 dudes with a first name for a last name, and their actual first names are 2 of the most common names in the country.  [Joe and Andrew Thomas]

    So we've got that going for us..

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @unsympathetic said:

    The best 2 tackles in Browns history will be 2 dudes with a first name for a last name, and their actual first names are 2 of the most common names in the country.  [Joe and Andrew Thomas]

    So we've got that going for us..

    Well they could turn in a pick for Becky Meckton.... We're  all about  diversity.