Skip to content

Led Zeppelin wins 'Stairway to Heaven' copyright infringement case

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
38 7 1.1k 1
  • VamboV Vambo wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Led Zeppelin wins 'Stairway to Heaven' copyright infringement case

    Led Zeppelin scored a win in the copyright infringement battle over the rock band's "Stairway to Heaven" song, according to reports.

    The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals upheld on Monday a jury's verdict that Zeppelin did not rip the instrumental intro from Spirit's hit "Taurus."

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #2

    So a little bit after 1:10 they play the clipse. I heard about this lawsuit quite a while ago and listened to the comparison and in my opinion the lawsuit was frivolous to begin with.

  • AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by Axe
    #3

    We all "borrow" from those before us and change it enough to put our style/flavor/spin on it.. We call them influences 😉

    That's just the way it's always been and always will be.

  • AxeA Axe

    We all "borrow" from those before us and change it enough to put our style/flavor/spin on it.. We call them influences 😉

    That's just the way it's always been and always will be.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #4

    @axe said:

    We all "borrow" from those before us and change it enough to put our style/flavor/spin on it.. We call them influences 😉

    That's just the way it's always been and always will be.

    Yea, but they out and out ripped off many songs of others.  It went beyond influence to pure plagiarism.  You only have to hear a few of the songs they stole from to know that. 

    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/led-zeppelins-10-boldest-rip-offs-223419/?fbclid=IwAR3ctgpz_Yj77_TegyrqbYjV9b-P9U1sWnK7bkaz3qf9bKOJ5J6Vh1rkGD8

  • AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by Axe
    #5

    Not a Zeppelin fan I take it?

    Steve, how many songs do you use the I IV V in? 😉

  • AxeA Axe

    Not a Zeppelin fan I take it?

    Steve, how many songs do you use the I IV V in? 😉

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @axe said:

    Not a Zeppelin fan I take it?

    Steve, how many songs do you use the I IV V in? 😉

    Mr. Big Shot hot hand rock guitar wizard. I can't play those complicated patterns you should know that.

    ?

    WSS

  • @axe said:

    Not a Zeppelin fan I take it?

    Steve, how many songs do you use the I IV V in? 😉

    Mr. Big Shot hot hand rock guitar wizard. I can't play those complicated patterns you should know that.

    ?

    WSS

    AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @axe said:

    @westside-steve said:

    Mr. Big Shot hot hand rock guitar wizard. I can't play those complicated patterns you should know that.

    ?

    WSS

    I'm scared to ask,, what's hand rock? 😳

  • AxeA Axe

    @axe said:

    @westside-steve said:

    Mr. Big Shot hot hand rock guitar wizard. I can't play those complicated patterns you should know that.

    ?

    WSS

    I'm scared to ask,, what's hand rock? 😳

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #8

    @axe said:

    "hot hand" is an adjectives unto itself.

    WSS

  • AxeA Axe

    Not a Zeppelin fan I take it?

    Steve, how many songs do you use the I IV V in? 😉

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @axe said:

    Not a Zeppelin fan I take it?

    Steve, how many songs do you use the I IV V in? 😉

    They’re Ok. It’s just that I recognize that they are music thieves. 

  • @axe said:

    We all "borrow" from those before us and change it enough to put our style/flavor/spin on it.. We call them influences 😉

    That's just the way it's always been and always will be.

    Yea, but they out and out ripped off many songs of others.  It went beyond influence to pure plagiarism.  You only have to hear a few of the songs they stole from to know that. 

    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/led-zeppelins-10-boldest-rip-offs-223419/?fbclid=IwAR3ctgpz_Yj77_TegyrqbYjV9b-P9U1sWnK7bkaz3qf9bKOJ5J6Vh1rkGD8

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @the-gipper said:

    Yea, but they out and out ripped off many songs of others.  It went beyond influence to pure plagiarism.  You only have to hear a few of the songs they stole from to know that. 

    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/led-zeppelins-10-boldest-rip-offs-223419/?fbclid=IwAR3ctgpz_Yj77_TegyrqbYjV9b-P9U1sWnK7bkaz3qf9bKOJ5J6Vh1rkGD8

    The only one with any viable similarity is I should have quit you a long time ago and only because of the lyric line. ..

    WSS

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #11

    I borrowed a chord progression I heard on a gameshow that I heard when I was a kid... I just changed they key and the harmonic chord structure and used different voicings...

  • I borrowed a chord progression I heard on a gameshow that I heard when I was a kid... I just changed they key and the harmonic chord structure and used different voicings...

    AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @nickers said:

    I borrowed a chord progression I heard on a gameshow that I heard when I was a kid... I just changed they key and the harmonic chord structure and used different voicings...

    And that game show most likely borrowed it from something their musical director heard  previously..

     I'll say it again. We all "borrow" from those before us and change it enough to put our style/flavor/spin on it.. We call them influences .. Sometimes we flat out cover and pay the lisc fees like we did here.. We were contacted by Sonny. We showed them the licenses we acquired to do this and all they said was "excellent work"..

    Close to 100,000 spotify streams have made us almost $16 😉

  • AxeA Axe

    @nickers said:

    I borrowed a chord progression I heard on a gameshow that I heard when I was a kid... I just changed they key and the harmonic chord structure and used different voicings...

    And that game show most likely borrowed it from something their musical director heard  previously..

     I'll say it again. We all "borrow" from those before us and change it enough to put our style/flavor/spin on it.. We call them influences .. Sometimes we flat out cover and pay the lisc fees like we did here.. We were contacted by Sonny. We showed them the licenses we acquired to do this and all they said was "excellent work"..

    Close to 100,000 spotify streams have made us almost $16 😉

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #13

    @axe said:

    And that game show most likely borrowed it from something their musical director heard  previously..

     I'll say it again. We all "borrow" from those before us and change it enough to put our style/flavor/spin on it.. We call them influences .. Sometimes we flat out cover and pay the lisc fees like we did here.. We were contacted by Sonny. We showed them the licenses we acquired to do this and all they said was "excellent work"..

    Close to 100,000 spotify streams have made us almost $16 😉

    To be honest at my age when I don't expect recordings to earn my living I'm happier to know that hundreds and hundreds of people have streams my songs even if I only get a penny of shot.

    ?❤

    WSS

    Edit

  • ATOMA ATOM wrote on last edited by
    #14

    this and The Rain Song man

  • @axe said:

    And that game show most likely borrowed it from something their musical director heard  previously..

     I'll say it again. We all "borrow" from those before us and change it enough to put our style/flavor/spin on it.. We call them influences .. Sometimes we flat out cover and pay the lisc fees like we did here.. We were contacted by Sonny. We showed them the licenses we acquired to do this and all they said was "excellent work"..

    Close to 100,000 spotify streams have made us almost $16 😉

    To be honest at my age when I don't expect recordings to earn my living I'm happier to know that hundreds and hundreds of people have streams my songs even if I only get a penny of shot.

    ?❤

    WSS

    Edit

    AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @westside-steve said:

    To be honest at my age when I don't expect recordings to earn my living I'm happier to know that hundreds and hundreds of people have streams my songs even if I only get a penny of shot.

    ?❤

    WSS

    Edit

    The music industry is in a very bad place. I have no desire to do live again. Now, clubs want four bands a night and want you to pre purchase tickets to sell for them. No one gets paid Not interested.. The businesses the wife and I own and operate are far more lucrative.. I don't expect our recordings to earn our livings either.. I'm just saying that $.006 a stream is larceny too.. The music industry, the last bastion of legalized slavery.

  • AxeA Axe

    @westside-steve said:

    To be honest at my age when I don't expect recordings to earn my living I'm happier to know that hundreds and hundreds of people have streams my songs even if I only get a penny of shot.

    ?❤

    WSS

    Edit

    The music industry is in a very bad place. I have no desire to do live again. Now, clubs want four bands a night and want you to pre purchase tickets to sell for them. No one gets paid Not interested.. The businesses the wife and I own and operate are far more lucrative.. I don't expect our recordings to earn our livings either.. I'm just saying that $.006 a stream is larceny too.. The music industry, the last bastion of legalized slavery.

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @axe said:

    The music industry is in a very bad place. I have no desire to do live again. Now, clubs want four bands a night and want you to pre purchase tickets to sell for them. No one gets paid Not interested.. The businesses the wife and I own and operate are far more lucrative.. I don't expect our recordings to earn our livings either.. I'm just saying that $.006 a stream is larceny too.. The music industry, the last bastion of legalized slavery.

    When you think about it it's been fucked up as far back as we can remember. Back to the 50s when record companies hired groups of random kids to sing generic-pop-songs put them on tour keep all the money and then go on to the next batch. Way back before album sales before album sales meant anything. Sometimes it amazes me we have gone full circle. I still enjoy performing but I'm probably substantially older than you are and I don't need to anymore. 

    WSS

  • AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by
    #17

    89951237_1598097877032358_10711200127537

  • AxeA Axe

    89951237_1598097877032358_10711200127537

    ATOMA ATOM wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @axe said:

    89951237_1598097877032358_10711200127537

    well ya thats why people should spend money at the merch table

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #19

    Taurus? Hell I was a Spirit fan and never heard Taurus... but yeah... pretty big rip there. First impression of its opening was the start of West Side Story tho... so maybe Bernstein's estate has a case as well...

    When I think Spirit, I think 12 Dreams...

  • AxeA Axe

    We all "borrow" from those before us and change it enough to put our style/flavor/spin on it.. We call them influences 😉

    That's just the way it's always been and always will be.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @axe said:

    We all "borrow" from those before us and change it enough to put our style/flavor/spin on it.. We call them influences

    I forget who said it, but the quote was, "there are no new notes."